Nnamdi Kanu Lived A Life Of Luxury Abroad – Lai Mohammed

 

The Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, on Thursday accused leader of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu of living a life of luxury while on the run outside the country.

Mr Mohammed, speaking at a press conference in Abuja, said the IPOB leader, who was recently re-arrested and re-arraigned in Abuja, will face the full wrath for the law for challenging Nigeria’s sovereignty and unity.

“It will interest Nigerians to know that for over two years, our security and intelligence agencies were on the trail of the proscribed IPOB leader as he lived a five-star life across several countries, travelling on chartered private jets, living in luxury apartments and turning out in designing clothes and shoes,” Mr Mohammed said.

“Of course, as we all saw, he was wearing an attire made by Fendi, a luxury Italian fashion brand, when he was arrested.

“We can tell you that the forensic investigation carried out so far has revealed a treasure trove of information on the proscribed IPOB leader and his collaborators.

“While the investigation continues, we assure you that none of the collaborators, irrespective of their standing in the society, will be spared.

“They will all face the full wrath of the law for their activities that challenge our nation’s sovereignty and threaten its unity. No one, no matter how highly placed, is bigger than the country.”

Collaboration with international agencies

According to Mr, Nnamdi Kanu is facing an 11-count charge of treason, treasonable felony, terrorism and illegal possession of firearms, among others.

Kanu had earlier jumped bail in 2017 and left the country before he was re-arrested “through the collaboration of Nigerian security and intelligence agencies” and “sister international agencies.”

Mr Mohammed commended the professionalism and patriotism of the security agencies involved in the operation.

However, he declined to confirm speculations on how the re-arrest was pulled off.

“What we can tell you, once again, is that the re-arrest was made possible by the diligent efforts of our security and intelligence agencies, in collaboration with countries with which we have obligations,” he said. “We continue to respect and honour the obligations.”

Fair trial

Mr Mohammed said Nnamdi Kanu will be granted a fair trial.

“It is interesting that many are suddenly calling for a fair trial for Kanu as if he didn’t get one before he decided to jump bail and flee,” he said.

“However, I can assure you that the fair deal that Kanu denied many of the victims of the violence which he willfully instigated through his broadcasts and tweets will not be denied him.”

Nnamdi Kanu Rearraigned In Abuja, Remanded In DSS Custody

This photo released by Nigerian authorities on June 29, 2021 shows Mr Nnamdi Kanu in handcuffs.
This photo released by Nigerian authorities on June 29, 2021 shows Mr Nnamdi Kanu in handcuffs.

 

Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu has been rearraigned at the Federal High Court in Abuja.

He has also been placed in the custody of the Department of State Services by Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court

Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami revealed this at a press briefing in Abuja on Tuesday.

Mr Kanu’s re-arraignment comes after he was re-arrested by Nigerian authorities and brought back to the country.

According to Mr Malami, Justice Nyako granted the application for the accelerated hearing of his trial to July 26 and 27 as against the earlier adjourned date of October 20.

He is expected to face charges of treason in court.

On October 2015, Mr Kanu was arrested by Nigerian authorities on an 11-count charge bordering on “terrorism, treasonable felony, managing an unlawful society, publication of defamatory matter, illegal possession of firearms and improper importation of goods, among others.”

He was granted bail on April 2017 for medical reasons.

However, Mr Kanu fled the country in September 2017 after an invasion of his home by the military in Afara-Ukwu, near Umuahia, Abia State.

Since then he has been sighted in Israel and has continued to rally his supporters in Nigeria to employ violence in achieving secession.

“He has, upon jumping bail, been accused of engaging in subversive activities that include inciting violence through television, radio and online broadcasts against Nigeria and Nigerian State and institutions,” Mr Malami said on Tuesday.

“Kanu was also accused of instigating violence especially in the Southeastern Nigeria that resulted in the loss of lives and property of civilians, military, para military, police forces and destruction of civil institutions and symbols of authorities.”

APGA Asks FG To Release Nnamdi Kanu

Nnamdi Kanu, APGAThe All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) has asked the Federal Government to release the detained leader of the Independent People of Biafra, Mr Nnamdi Kanu.

The National Chairman of APGA, Mr Victor Oye, made the call on Thursday at a media briefing in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.

Mr Oye based his stance on the court rulings which granted Mr Kanu bail on three occasions.

He maintained that the Federal Government should obey the rule of law in the prosecution of the case.

IPOB Trial: Kanu Asks Judge To Disqualify Himself

KanuThe self-acclaimed leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mr Nnamdi Kanu, and his co-defendants, David Nwawusi and Benjamin Madubugwu have asked Justice James Tsoho of a Federal High Court, Abuja to disqualify himself from trying them on the six-count charge, bordering on treason preferred against them by the federal government.

The defendants, in a motion cited the manifestation of bias against the court, which is also a subject of investigation by the National Judicial Council against the judge.

They alleged that the court had, in the course of its ruling on April 26 2016, openly expressed serious prejudice against a member of the defence team, adding that it will be in the interest of justice for the application to be granted, to preserve the sanctity of the judicial office.


The prosecution counsel, Shuaibu Labaran, in his response to the motion, accused the defence of frustrating the trial.

Meanwhile, the second defendant in the case, Benjamin Madubugwu, has engaged the services of a new counsel, Amobi Nzelu, leaving Chuks Muoma to represent the first and the third defendants, Kanu and David Nwawusi respectively.

With the new development, Justice Tsoho, adjourned the case to September 26, 2016 to hear the defendants’ motion and for trial.

Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu Adjourned Till April 26

Nnamdi KanuThe trial of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mr Nnamdi Kanu, which was expected to continue on Tuesday morning has been adjourned.

Kanu’s counsel, Chuks Muoma (SAN) applied for stay of proceedings pending the hearing and determination of the appeal filed by them challenging the ruling of the court delivered on March 7 granting the request of the Federal Government to shield witnesses.

Justice James Tsoho has therefore adjourned ruling on the stay of proceedings to April 26.

A Federal High Court in Abuja had on March 7 granted the application by the government to shield its witnesses in the trial of the self-proclaimed leader of the Indigenous People Of Biafra, Mr Nnamdi Kanu and two others standing trial for alleged treason.

According to the prosecutor, the witnesses claimed they had been threatened by associates of the accused persons should they testify in the court, stressing that they would only testify if they were assured of their personal safety.

Kanu’s Trial: Court To Allow Witnesses Be Shielded

A Federal High Court in Abuja has granted the application by the government to shield its witnesses in the trial of the self-proclaimed leader of the Indigenous People Of Biafra, Mr Nnamdi Kanu and two others standing trial for alleged treason.

Mr Kanu’s trial was again stalled as the prosecutor, who ought to open his case, told the court that even though the prosecution witnesses were ready to testify, they had expressed fear for their lives.

According to the prosecutor, the witnesses claimed they have been threatened by associates of the accused persons should they testify in the court, stressing that they would only testify if they were assured of their personal safety.

However, counsel to the accused person, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, argued that the application would amount to asking the court to reverse itself, which he said was illegal in law.

According to him, it was a ploy by the prosecution to continue to delay the trial and there was no place in the law for sentiments and emotions.

The defence counsel said that the prosecution has shown that it was not ready for trial, therefore the charges against the accused persons should be dismissed and the accused persons be acquitted.

In his ruling on Monday, Justice James Tsoho said that the application by the Director of Public Prosecution, Mr Mohammed Diri, was not a departure from his earlier ruling that the court would protect the witnesses from any harm.

He ordered that besides proving the witnesses with a path and secret holding room, a shield would be used to ensure that only the judge, the accused persons and parties in the suit have access to the countenance of the witnesses.

IPOB Leader Expresses Lack Of Confidence In Judicial Process

Nnamdi KanuThe leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mr Nnamdi Kanu, has protested his trial before Justice Mohammed Ahmed of the Federal High Court, Abuja.

Kanu, who is the founder of Radio Biafra, refused to take plea on a six count charge of treason, importation of illegal good and possession of fire arms filed against him by the Department of State Services on the ground that will not get fair trial.

Kanu, who was docked with two others says he lacks confidence in the court because information available to him indicated that he will not get a fair trial before the judge.

According go to him, he will not sacrifice the due process of the law founded in the principles of natural justice upon the altar of speedy release from detention.

“I will rather remain in detention than subject myself to a trial that I know amounts to perversion of justice”, he said.

Reacting to Mr Kanu’s protest, the Director of Public Prosecution, Mr Mohammed Diri, asked the court to discountenance the objection on the ground that the accused person ought to come before the court with a proper application.

He also adds that such a protest can only be made after an accused person takes his plea.

But his counsel, Mr Vincent Obetta, stood behind his client and asked the court to oblige his client’s request.

In a short ruling Justice Ahmed Mohammed said he agreed with the accused person’s protest, especially as it bothers on the issue of confidence in a judicial process.

Justice Ahmed said that since the confidence of the court has been questioned, he will return the case file to the Chief Justice of the Federal High Court for further action.

Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyer Asks DSS To Obey Court Order

Nnamdi KanuThe lawyer to the embattled leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mr Nnamdi Kanu, has asked the Department of State Services (DSS) to obey the order of the court that released him on bail unconditionally.

Reacting to a six-count charge preferred against his client, Mr Vincent Obetta said that the charges, notwithstanding, the orders of the court still subsists and should be carried out to the letter.

According to him, the charges are still being studied even as they continue to work towards the release of his client who is presumed innocent until proven otherwise.

Mr Kanu was standing trial on a three count charge of criminal conspiracy, intimidation and belonging to an unlawful society, allegations the prosecutor had withdrawn.

A Federal High Court in Abuja on December 17 granted bail to Mr Kanu.

Justice Adeniyi Ademola admitted him to bail unconditionally while ruling in an application filed and argued by Mr Obetta.

The court held that his continuous detention was illegal and as such he should be released on bail unconditionally, especially in the light of the deposition of the counsel to the DSS that it had no charge against Mr Kanu in any Court of Competent Jurisdiction in Nigeria.

 

Kanu’s Bail Application: Court Sets December 17 For Ruling

KanuThe Federal High Court in Abuja has fixed Thursday, December 17, to rule on whether to admit on bail, the leader of the Indigenous People Of Biafra and operator of Radio Biafra, Mr Nnamdi Kanu.

Justice Adeniyi Ademola gave the date on Monday in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital after taking arguments from both parties involved in the bail application.

Mr Kanu had been in detention of the Department of State Services (DSS) since October, when he was apprehended by operatives of the agency.

Reacting to the bail application, counsel to the DSS, Moses Idakwo, asked the court not to admit the suspect on bail because he was allegedly involved in terrorism acts.

Mr Idakwo told Justice Ademola that the Federal Government was in possession of details of the accused person’s bank accounts in U.S. dollars and pound sterling from where he had been financing terrorism acts against the country.

The counsel also submitted that Kanu has dual citizenship of Britain and Nigeria and that he could flee and escape justice if allowed to go on bail.

Counsel to Nnamdi Kanu, Vincent Obeta, dismissed the claims of the DSS on the grounds that they were speculative and not supported with any documents or facts.

Northern Governors Condemn Onitsha Attack, Move To Avert Spread

Onitsha Governors of Nigeria’s 19 northern states on Thursday said that they have taken security measures to ensure that Wednesday’s violence that included burning of places of worship in the commercial city of Onitsha in Anambra State does not spread to the northern part of the country.

Speaking on behalf of the 19 governors, Borno State Governor and Chairman of the Northern States Governors’ Forum, Kashim Shettima, said that the governors, particularly those of major cities were in touch with one another on Wednesday and had taken some firm measures aimed at averting any spill-over.

A three-week-long pro-Biafra protest turned bloody on Wednesday resulting in the killing of scores with many injured in Onitsha, the commercial city of Anambra State.

The protesters were pressing for the release of detained Director of Radio Biafra, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu.

In a statement issued by his spokesman, Malam Isa Gusau on Thursday in Maiduguri, Shettima said that the governors took the undisclosed measures, following media reports claiming that worship places were torched during the Wednesday violence in Onitsha.

The statement reads: “We condemn the Wednesday crisis in very strong term. We have been in touch with one another today. The Governors of major cities in the north in particular, have been in critical touch to share thoughts and we have collectively taken firm measures to ensure that the violence doesn’t spread to any part of the 19 northern States and we will also be working with our colleagues in the south to nip the crisis in the bud but we will not disclose the measures we have taken so that those who may want to take advantage of the Onitsha mayhem don’t know our strategies.

“However, it is surprising to the Northern States Governors Forum that any Nigerian at all can even contemplate any kind of violence when we already have serious problems of Boko Haram insurgents that are killing Muslims and Christians, killing northerners and southerners, attacking Mosques, Churches and markets, in an effort to kill all of us that do not subscribe to their interpretation of Islam.

“We have Boko Haram that kill Hausa, Fulani, Ibo, Yoruba, Kanuri, Ijaw and anyone they are able to come across. We thought that the existence of Boko Haram should have been enough to make all Nigerians fuse into one and fight a common enemy.

“It is really sad that any Nigerian can contemplate violence. We are not blaming any individual or group because there are security agencies whose job it is to safeguard lives and property and do investigations where necessary, we will not go into their duties.

“We beg all Nigerians to be calm and go about their duties in peace. We have got more than enough problems to worry about. We can’t afford any distraction that will shift our focus from the bigger problems of Boko Haram that has an ambition of sending the human race into extinction.

“We urge all Nigerians to be calm. We particularly call on all Nigerians living in the northern states not to pay attention to differences in religion and ethnicity but rather, should see each other as Nigerians with equal residential rights and fundamental human rights that include freedom to lawfully reside anywhere in Nigeria, freedom of worship, movement, trade, association, education, healthcare and other rights as provided by the Nigerian constitution.

“We particularly call on our youths not to allow anyone use them for any purpose because youths have suffered more than any other age category from the hands of Boko Haram insurgents and that is more than enough.

“Our focus should be on how to end the Boko Haram insurgency and not to be driven into any other crisis. We have suffered too much, we must say no to any crisis.

“As heads of Government of the 19 northern states, we will by the grace of God, do everything humanly possible to ensure that no resident, regardless of his or her ethno-religious background, is denied any of these rights.

“As Nigerians, we are one, we need one another and we must live as one people,” Shettima said, on behalf of the Northern Governors.