Emirate Funds: Emir Sanusi Responds To Kano Govt’s Query

 

The Emir of Kano Municipal, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has responded to the query issued him by the Kano State government over alleged mismanagement of the Emirates funds.

In a one-page reply through Acting Secretary to the Kano Emirate Council, Abba Yusuf, 48 hours after the query was issued, the Emir said he was not the accounting officer of the council.

That role, according to him, is played by the Secretary of the Emirate Council.



RELATED:

Kano Govt Queries Emir Sanusi Over Corruption Allegations

Dangote, Fayemi Initiate Dialogue Between Emir Sanusi And Ganduje


The letter also said that “at the time Sanusi was installed as the Emir of Kano, the exact amount in the accounts of the Emirate Council was N1,893,927.38 (One Billion Eight Hundred, Nine Hundred and Twenty Seven Naira, Thirty-Eight Kobo) only.”

See full response below:

Sanusi Asks Nigerians To Respect Human Rights

Sanusi Asks Nigerians To Respect Human RightsThe Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has asked Nigerians to always respect the rights of the weak, the vulnerable and the minority for peaceful coexistence.

The Emir made the call on Wednesday when visited the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, at his place in Ile Ife, Osun State.

Accompanied by senior members of the Kano Emirate Council, he said he was in Ile Ife to formally congratulate the Ooni on his ascension to the throne of his forefathers, and to appreciate him for his fatherly role in the recent communal crisis in Ile Ife.

Agents Of Peace

“I was here as a prince a couple of years ago in company of my late father, Emir Ado Bayero, during the 30th coronation anniversary of the late Ooni Okunade Sijuwade, Olubuse II. As a prince, I had always felt welcome in this palace and today, on arriving here, I have received the same welcome as a member of this royal family.

“It is indeed remarkable and we thank Allah for the way he does his things, because the relationship between our two predecessors which was critical to building bridges across the Niger and unifying the people of this country has continued with us, and I hope we will keep being agents of peace and unity for our great country,” the visiting monarch said.

“My visit here today is a happy and sad one. It is a happy one because it is an opportunity for me to come and formally congratulate you on your enthronement, and it is a sad one because it is in connection with the sad incident that occurred in Ile-Ife recently.

“I know many people from the north have been complaining that I have been quiet on this matter, let me say that the moment this sad incident happened, His Majesty, the Ooni of Ife reached out to me and Sultan; both of us have reached out to Ooni on a number of times and we are satisfied with the fatherly way he has so far responded to the crisis, which we see as a confirmation that he is truly the father of all in Yorubaland irrespective of tribes and religion.

“And we felt that so long the Ooni was doing everything humanly possible to stabilise the situation, there was no need for anyone of us to make any statement that could worsen the situation. Let me also add that I was to be here with the Sultan, but he has had to travel and he has asked me to represent him and all the Northern traditional rulers.

“I on behalf of Sultan and the other Emirs, commiserate with you over the sad incident. You showed indeed that everyone in Ife is your subject, which is the way it should be. The family we come from and the institution we represent are institutions that take responsibility for protecting the lives, property and dignity of our people living within their jurisdiction irrespective of where they are from. We thank you for playing that role,” he added.

Sanusi also commended the Governor of Osun State, Rauf Aregbesola, for setting up a commission of inquiry to look into the matter and immediate cause of the incident and to recommend appropriately, saying “our relationship in the country is such that safety in one place is safety everywhere”.

A Detribalised Nigerian

In his remarks, Ooni Ogunwusi thanked the Emir whom he described as a perfect gentleman, and expressed satisfaction with the reaction of the northern leaders over the ugly incident.

“When you are talking of intellectuals in Africa, Emir Sanusi is actually a force to reckon with. I have always had tremendous respect for him. Thank you Your Highness for this historic visit. You are a detribalised Nigerian who has always shown love to members of other tribes. My love for you dates back to when you were Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, as your courage of calling a spade a spade actually drew my attention to you.

“You and I met in the UK and we had intensive conversation as regards the crisis and the need to strengthen the unity of all Nigerians. That meeting played a significant role in finally dousing the tension. You are indeed part of us in Ile-Oodua and we are also part of the Kano Emirate. Our prayer therefore, is that our relationship will continue to wax stronger,” he said.

The Yoruba monarch also appreciated the Osun State Government for its demonstration of love and responsibility during the crisis.

“The State Government of Osun has played its role very responsibly by swiftly rising to the occasion, and severally visiting the affected areas with solidarity and donation of cash and other relieve materials. Same goes with us here at the palace, Ife prominent indigenes and all the Yoruba leaders of thought.

“We have been doing this just to give them the assurance that we are one big family and I have since been working perfectly with the Sultan and the Emirs for the sustenance of the peace that we have restored after the crisis,” he said.

After presenting the Emir with an artwork gift representing the cultural diversity in Nigeria and the unity of the people, Ooni Ogunwusi and his chiefs led the Emir and his entourage on a visit to the Hausa community at the Sabo area of the town, where they both had a brief meeting with Seriki Hausa and his people.

Zamfara Governor Replies Sanusi Over Comments On Meningitis

Zamfara Governor Replies Sanusi Over Comments On MeningitisWhen the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, referred to the response of the Governor of Zamfara State over the outbreak of cerebrospinal meningitis, it was clear he was stirring up a new debate on the matter.

Governor Abdulaziz Yari has responded to the comments made by the Emir, insisting that the comments were half-truth.

He also maintained that the outbreak of the disease indeed has a spiritual undertone.

“I stand by my words that if people do not change, God will not change for them. Therefore, I will answer the Emir perfectly and give him the Quran content of the Hadith where I belong to and where I have my fact.

“For instance, I made mention that in the past we have Type A, which vaccines have been brought and they have vaccinated over four million doses in 2011.

“We are now having Type B and Type C which they don’t even know. At the Centre for Disease Control in Chicago where we get our vaccines from, they only have five million,” he said.

Emir of Kano had on Wednesday, at the opening of the Kaduna State Economic and Investment Summit, criticised the statement credited to the Zamfara State Governor on meningitis, saying they were horrendous and “Islamically incorrect”.

Learn From Former President’s Mistakes, Kano Emir Tells Buhari

Muhammadu-Sanusi-IIThe Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi, on Wednesday advised the present administration led by President Muhammadu Buhari to learn from the mistakes of his predecessor, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, if past wrongs are to be corrected.

The Emir while delivering a paper at the 5th meeting of the Joint Planning Board and National Council on Development Planning, titled “Nigeria In Search Of New Growth model”, warned the present administration against continuing to blame previous administrations for the nation’s woes.

He said what is important is for the administration to concentrate on putting the nation back on the path of progress.

“And just so we are not always blaming the previous administration. We have also made mistakes in this administration. We have started retracing our steps or we have to retrace those steps.

“And if we fall into the same holes that we fell into the last time where the government is always right… If a policy is wrong, it is wrong. Nothing will make it right and it has to be changed.

“If this government continues to behave the way the last government behaved, we will end up where Jonathan ended. You may not like it but that is the truth. You have to listen.

“You don’t have to be an economist to know that any system that allows you to sit in your garden, and with a telephone call, make one billion Naira without investing a kobo, that system is wrong. It is unsustainable,” he maintained.

He goes on to blame past federal administrations for failing to diversify the nation’s economy during the oil boom, saying President Buhari should not make the same mistakes.

According to the Emir, there are many “voodoo economists” parading around the administration and advising the government, adding that “many of them are not economists but demagogues”.

Emir Of Kano Tasks Govt. On Environmental Hygiene

Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi The Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has appealed to the government to pay much attention to environmental hygiene of the people of Kano State.

The monarch said this was to avoid the outbreak of any disease occurring mostly during rainy season.

He made the call on Friday shortly after he paid tributes to the Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, to mark this year’s Traditional Nassarawa Horse Riding.

The Emir urged the government and other philanthropists to help the poor and needy, adding that they should continue to pay much attention to the security of lives and property of the citizens.

“We need to pray and remain patience with our government authorities, we should also observe closely the issue of our environmental hygiene to avoid any breakdown.

“I therefore call on our people to pay closer attention to marital responsibilities and refrain from unnecessary divorce, on behalf of Kano Emirate, I want to appreciate both states and Federal government for the current peace and stability we are enjoying in Nigeria today,” he stated.

Governor Ganduje on his part told the Emir that his government had made and was still making concerted efforts to ensure that the lives and property of the people were adequately protected.

Despite the economic crisis, he said his administration was able to pay both local and state government salaries up to date with various projects currently on-going.

The Governor further assured the monarch that that government would complete all inherited projects and had already commenced new ones.

Prosecute Abductors Of Ese, Rights Commission Urges Police

Ese-OruruThe National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has called on the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr Solomon Arase, to ensure that all those involved in the abduction of Ese Oruru, are prosecuted in accordance with the law.

Exchanging views with the IGP in Abuja on Wednesday, the Executive Secretary of the NHRC, Professor Bem Angwe, commended the IGP, the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II and all other Nigerians, who rallied support towards the release of the 14-year old girl.

The Executive Secretary, who was represented at the occasion by the Senior Special Assistant, Mr Lambert Oparah, condemned in strong terms, the abduction of Ese, stressing that the action was highly reprehensible and contravened Section 21 of the Child’s Rights Act.

Mr Angwe said that the Commission would leave no stone unturned in ensuring the prosecution of those involved in the dastardly act, warning that “the Commission is determined to end incessant child abuse”.

On the request of the Executive Secretary about the protection of the girl, the IGP in his response, assured the NHRC that the abductor and all other actors in the abduction saga would be brought to deserved justice.

According to the IGP, an in-house administrative inquiry had already been set up to deal with the professional conduct of officers involved in the initial investigation of the case stressing that those indicted would be dealt with accordingly.

While talking on adequate protection of the victim, the IGP assured the Commission and all Nigerians that the privacy and the protective rights of the girl-child would be guaranteed.

Ese was allegedly abducted in August 2015 and moved to Kano for forced marriage.

She was freed on Monday night, following a directive by the Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase, to the Commissioner of Police in Kano State, Mohammed Katsina.

Ese Oruru’s Father Sceptical She Was Taken On Her Free Will

Ese-OruruAlthough Charles Oruru, father of the allegedly abducted girl, Ese, could not go to Abuja for the handover of his daughter, he says he is awaiting her return with an open mind.

He told Channels Television on Tuesday in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, that Ese was the most courageous of his children and so he does not think that her alleged abductor took her to Kano on her free will.

“I know my children. I know when they come back from school and that they normally come back with other children. When they go to the market, they come back together with their mother. They don’t  even go anywhere without telling the mother or myself.

“That is why I am saying it is not ordinary. How can a small girl of 13 years just run away from home without even any cloth except the one that is on her body? So it is not ordinary,” he stressed.

This is affirmed by Ese’s siblings who believe something mystical may have been done to her to accept leaving Yenagoa for Kano.

Her siblings say she has been a good student in class and wondered how she could have abandoned her choice of being educated for child marriage.

After Ese was handed over to the police on Monday, more than five months after she was allegedly abducted, the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, said she was crying, refusing to go back home, but that he had insisted that she must be reunited with her parents.

Kano Emirate Denies Custody Of Ese Oruru

Ese-OruruKano State Emirate Council has said that Ese Oruru has not been under the custody of the Emir or any official of the Emirate Council.

The Council also said that the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, instructed the handing over of Oruru on Tuesday.

Briefing reporters over the recent development, The Emirate Councillor, Mahe Bashir, said that the Emir did not endorse the action of  the abductor, Yunusa,  as recently speculated.

Mr Bashir noted that the Emirate Council had since directed that an explanation be obtained from the Zone 1 Assistant Inspector General of Police with immediate effect, as to what took place after receiving the directives of the Kano Emir.

The Kano Emirate Council also called on Nigerians to make inquiries and cross-check all facts before spreading unverified stories that may cause disaffection among various peace loving groups.

Meanwhile, sources at the office of the Assistant Inspector General of Police with headquarters in Kano confirmed that Oruru has been transported to the Police headquarters in Abuja for onward hand over to her family.

The 14-year old Ese, allegedly abducted in Bayelsa State and taken to Kano for marriage under Islamic rites was released to the Nigeria Police Force on Monday.

It was gathered that the Inspector General of Police, Mr Solomon Arase, instructed that she should be reunited with her family.

Kano Police Parade Suspected Cattle Rustlers

 

KanoIt has been operation war against cattle rustlers in Kano State and the Emir of Kano, the Governor and the State Commissioner of Police seem all united on this matter.

About 78 suspected cattle rustlers are in the Police custody and are being quizzed on the whereabouts of their colleagues.

The Kano State Police Command has also recovered 818 cows from the suspected cattle rustlers.

Parading the suspects to the State Governor and the Emir of Kano on Sunday, the Police Commissioner, Musa Katsina, said that a leader of the syndicate was killed during an encounter, as few policemen also sustained minor gun shot injuries.

Channels Television’s correspondent in Kano, Idris Jibrin, reported that the State Government had set up a committee to liaise with the Police in handing over the cows to the original owners.

In their battle against the cattle rustlers, the Police recovered additional 87 sheep, three AK 47 rifle, 22 ammunition, one English single-barrel rifle, one pump-action rifle, two English pistols as well as large quantity of drugs.

Disturbed by the increasing cases of cattle rustling, the State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, said that Government would continue to support the Police in their attempt to root out all criminals in the state and environs.

Mr. Ganduje further said that no one convicted for cattle rustling, armed robbery or other related criminal activities would go free.

The Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, also called for speedy execution of the suspects.

Emir Sanusi warned that the State Government, The Emirate Council, Police and all other relevant security agencies should continue to gang up against cattle rustling and any other form of criminal activities in the state.

“These people are supposed to be executed in accordance with the Islamic laws because they killed, they raped and robbed people of their cattle and other valuable items.

“I therefore call on courts to do the right things and in accordance with the law,” he said.

The Emir also urged residents to continue to cooperate with all security agencies by reporting any suspicious individual to either the Police, village heads or community based organizations for immediate actions.

New Emir Of Kano Moves Into Palace

Muhammadu-Sanusi-IIThe new Emir Of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has arrived in the Emir’s Palace Six days after His Nomination to succeed the late Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, who died seven days ago.

On Thursday, Mobile Police Men who were previously directed to siege the palace for security reasons were withdrawn which eventually paved the way for the new emir to move in.

The half kilometre drive from the Government House to the emir’s Palace on Friday was smooth, as a large crowd followed the procession to the palace.

Led to the palace by a well-armed security team, State Deputy Governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, and the members of the State Executive Cancel, district heads and other traditional title holders, Mallam Sanusi alighted from a limousine vehicle dressed colourfully in royal regalia.

At the palace, the Emir, riding on a horse, was received by the Emirate’s Senior Councillor, Alhaji Abass Sanusi, and the Three King makers of the kingdom.

On the Emir’s arrival, celebrations ensued at the palace, with friends and relatives gathered to welcome him.