The Imo State Police have confirmed the gruesome murder of a 64-year-old man, Barrister Ndieonyema Nwankwo who was the former Chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Owerri branch.
A statement signed by the Imo State Police Public Relations Officer Orlando Ikeokwu, on Sunday, explained that when the command received the report of the murder, operatives were immediately deployed to the scene of the incident (his office).
According to the PPRO, they met the lawyer’s lifeless body in a pool of blood and machete cuts were seen on his neck.
Ikeokwu noted that while taking a further look around the office, a machete with bloodstains, suspected to have been used in inflicting the cuts on him, was found on the floor.
He said it was also discovered that his car and other yet to be identified items were taken away.
The state Commissioner of Police, CP Nasiru Mohammed, while calling for calm, has also ordered an investigation into the matter, with a view to arresting the fleeing suspects and recovering the stolen items.
” I regret to inform you that on the 25/01/21 at about 1900hrs, two policemen attached to Karim Lamido LGA were attacked and killed while on their way to their duty post at Jen community.
”The incident occurred at a point in an isolated area in Karim Lamido Jen road when two of the police officers a Sergeant and Constable stopped to rectify a fault noticed from the vehicle they are driving.
” Suddenly armed men emerged from the bush and opened fire on them,” Misal explained.
He added that an investigation has been launched into the incident.
The police in Ogun have arrested three men accused of beating a 23-years-old boy to death over an alleged phone theft.
Three suspects who are all residents of Iju Ota were arrested after the father of the victim, Mr Ajibade Gbenga, rushed to the Onipanu Divisional Headquarters of the police to report that his son, Samuel, had been accused of stealing two mobile phones and beaten to death.
According to the man, the suspects beat Samuel up till he lost consciousness after accusing him of stealing the phones. The young man was rushed to the General Hospital in Ota for medical attention but was confirmed dead on arrival by a doctor.
In a statement on Sunday, the police spokesperson in the state, DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi, said after the complaint, the Chief Superintendent of Police in the division, Bamidele Job, led his detectives to the scene and arrested the three suspects.
According to the police spokesperson, if not for the intervention of the police, an angry crowd would have lynched the three suspects after realising that the young man was dead.
An investigation has been started by the police after which those charged will be prosecuted.
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Edward Awolowo-Ajogun, has ordered the immediate transfer of the suspects to the homicide section of the state criminal investigation and intelligence department for further investigation and diligent prosecution,” Oyeyemi said.
He added that the police commissioner warned that the command will not tolerate any form of jungle justice in the state.
Rather than take laws into their hands, he urged members of the public to always report anyone suspected to have committed a crime to the law enforcement agency for proper investigation and prosecution.
Meanwhile, the corpse of the deceased has been moved to the General Hospital’s mortuary for post mortem examination.
Before whisking the LGA boss away, the source who was in the house when the incident occurred, said the gunmen also made away with some of their mobile phones.
He said no ransom was demanded from the family.
The State’s Police public relations officer David Misal told Channels television via the phone that two persons have been arrested in connection with the crime and an investigation has been launched to further unravel those behind the dastard act.
Meanwhile, the remains of the deceased have been moved to the morgue of the Federal Medical Centre Jalingo.
Dovo who was a member of the Peoples Democratic Party, the ruling party in the state, was caretaker chairman of Ardo-Kola LGA from 2017 to 2020.
In May 2020, he successfully contested in the LGA elections and was inaugurated as Chairman of the LGA in June 2020.
A female member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Chidinma Oduma Pascaline, has been arrested by the police in Akwa Ibom State for allegedly killing a man suspected to be her boyfriend.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Odiko Macdon confirmed the arrest in a telephone conversation with Channels Television on Monday.
He said the Commissioner of Police, Andrew Amiengheme, who ordered the corps member’s arrest also directed a thorough investigation into the matter.
“The lady has been arrested by the police and she is already in our custody. The Police Commissioner has ordered a thorough investigation into the matter and as soon as the investigation is over the matter will be charged to court,” he said.
“On Sunday around 11 am, we received a distress call from our control room and so we had to send our policemen to No 219 Abak road, where one Chidinma Oduma Pascaline, a youth corper who is serving at Edet Akpan Avenue Uyo, was at the verge of being lynched by an irate mob.”
The police spokesman explained that during the preliminary investigation, she informed the police that one Akwaowo Japhet of No 219 Abak road, Uyo took her to his house.
“She said while in the house, Akwaowo Japhet picked up a machete and attempted to kill her but she was able to dispossess him and used the same machete on him which led to his death,” he added.
The police in Ogun State have arrested three brothers killing a security guard.
In a statement issued on Monday, the Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said the suspects beat up a So-Safe corps officer who was on guard duty at OGD Estate Asero to death on Christmas eve.
According to the police spokesman, the suspects are: Okiki Mulero, Micheal Mulero and Joseph Mulero.
It was gathered that trouble started when one of the suspects, Okiki who is a commercial cyclist was denied entrance into the estate for carrying more than one passenger contrary to the rule of the estate.
“This infuriated him, and he called his two brothers, Micheal and Joseph Mulero who came to the scene and they jointly attacked the two security guards with planks,” the statement partly read.
“In the process, one of the security men by the name Segun Godfrey Barde was hit with a plank and he slumped.”
He said the security guard was subsequently rushed to a private hospital where he gave up the ghost on Friday while receiving treatment.
The police spokesman explained that the case was reported at Obantoko Divisional Headquarters by the Community Development Association of the estate, consequent upon which the Divisional Police Officer, Sunday Opebiyi, asked his detectives to go after the suspects and they were subsequently apprehended one after the other.
Oyeyemi noted that the suspects “have all confessed to the commission of the crime.”
Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police, Edward Ajogun, has ordered the immediate transfers of the case to the Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department for further investigation and prosecution.
This is just as the corpse of the victim has been deposited in the mortuary for post-mortem examination.
The families of two brothers killed by gunmen in Owerri, the Imo State capital are calling on the security agencies in the state to as a matter of urgency unravel the mystery behind the gruesome and unfortunate murder of their sons, Paul and Tochukwu Anyanwu by gunmen.
Channels Television learned that the brothers were both shot dead on December 6at the same spot along with Owerri sports club right behind the Imo State University.
Chuks Anyanwu, a brother deceased, said he and his brothers had planned to go out together just before the unfortunate incident occurred.
“I was somehow weak and that was why I didn’t follow them. They said they wanted to go round and see round,” he said.
“I said ‘okay no problem, let me lie down I am just coming from Onitsha. After that, I received a call around 9 pm.
“In fact, it was my junior brother, the one killed. It was another voice that said I should come quick, that my brother were shot and were lying dead.”
An Appeal Court in Abuja has dismissed the appeal filed by Maryam Sanda for lacking in merit.
The court upheld the judgement by the FCT High Court which had sentenced her to death by hanging for killing her husband, Bilyaminu Bello, son of the former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Haliru Bello,
Her Counsel, Joe Gadzama SAN, however, said they are heading to the supreme court, while Counsel to Police, James Idachaba, praised the judgement, adding that they are also ready to meet them at the apex court.
In his two-hour Judgement, Presiding Judge, Justice Steven Adah, held that the court is duty-bound to do justice according to law and not sentiments.
The judge held that the law does not leave room for irregularities, adding that parties must conduct criminal trials according to the law.
Under Section 221 of the penal code, the court held that the trial judge was right in his verdict, stressing that the offence is punishable by death.
The court further held that it was not in doubt that Sanda killed her husband, and has no reason to set aside the verdict of the lower court.
The Appeal court also noted that there was evidence that Maryam murdered her husband during a fight after she saw a nude picture on his phone, and she had threatened him, adding that it could be ruled as premeditated murder.
Maryam Sanda was on January 27 found guilty of stabbing her husband to death at their Abuja residence
Justice Yusuf Halilu of the FCT High Court gave the sentence in Abuja while delivering judgment on the protracted trial of Missus Sanda.
He sentenced Sanda after she was convicted for stabbing late Bilyaminu to death, son of former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Haliru Bello.
Upon her conviction by the judge, Sanda broke down in tears and wept uncontrollably.
Not satisfied with the ruling, she had approached the appellate court in Abuja to challenge the decision of the FCT High Court.
In the Notice of Appeal predicated on twenty grounds, Sanda prayed the appellate court to set aside the verdict of the lower court and acquit her.
She claimed that the trial judge, Justice Halilu was tainted by bias and prejudices.
According to the appellant, this led to the denial of her right to a fair hearing and her consequent conviction based on circumstantial evidence.
Sanda alleged that the judge gave the verdict despite the reasonable doubt that was created by evidence of witnesses, lack of confessional statement, absence of murder weapon, lack of corroboration of evidence by two or more witnesses, and lack of autopsy report to determine the true cause of her husband’s death.
She insisted that the judgment of the trial court was complete “a miscarriage of justice.”
The appellant also pointed to the failure of the trial judge to rule, one way or the other, on her preliminary objection, challenging the charge preferred against her and the jurisdiction of the court as evidence of bias and a denial of her right to fair hearing as constitutionally guaranteed.
She, therefore, asked the Court of Appeal to allow her prayers and set aside her conviction and sentence and subsequently acquit her.
A mother confessed Saturday to killing her three young daughters in an apartment in Vienna, Austrian police said, without giving a motive.
The 31-year-old called the emergency services in the early hours saying she wanted to kill herself, and when police turned up they found the bodies of an eight-month-old baby and a three-year-old girl.
The woman’s nine-year-old daughter was taken to hospital but was unable to be saved, police said, adding that the mother had some light injuries herself.
According to local media reports, the three girls were suffocated.
A Saudi court on Monday overturned five death sentences over journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s murder in a final ruling that jailed eight defendants to between seven and 20 years, state media reported.
“Five of the convicts were given 20 years in prison and another three were jailed for 7-10 years,” the official Saudi Press Agency said, citing a spokesman for the public prosecutor.
None of the defendants were named in what was described as the final court ruling on the killing which had sparked an international outcry.
The verdict came after Khashoggi’s sons said in May they had “pardoned” the killers, a move condemned as a “parody of justice” by a UN expert.
The family’s pardon spared the lives of five unnamed people sentenced to death over the 2018 murder in a December court ruling, which was lambasted by human rights groups after two top aides to the crown prince were exonerated.
Khashoggi — a royal family insider turned critic — was killed and dismembered at the kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul in October 2018, in a case that tarnished the reputation of de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Khashoggi, a 59-year-old critic of the crown prince, was strangled and his body cut into pieces by a 15-man Saudi squad inside the consulate, according to Turkish officials. His remains have not been found.
Riyadh has described the murder as a “rogue” operation, but both the CIA and a United Nations special envoy have directly linked Prince Mohammed to the killing, a charge the kingdom vehemently denies.