Scores Dead, Others Injured In Potiskum Explosion

ExplosionAbout 20 people have been confirmed dead in Potiskum, the commercial city of Yobe State after a mid-day suicide bomb attack on Muslim brotherhood who were on a procession in observance of the 10th Day of Muharram 1436 celebration.

A suicide bomber detonated an explosive device killing scores of Muslim worshipers.

Witnesses said that the Muslim brotherhood, the Shia, were on procession in Potiskum metropolis in observance of the 10th Day of Muharram 1436 celebration when the explosion went off among the worshipers killing scores of those in the procession.

It was also gathered that the bomber was among the worshipers when the explosion went off around 11:15 on Monday morning.

Although Residents said that several followers of the group, particularly women and children, were killed by the explosion, the State Commissioner of Police, Mr Markus Danladi, told Channels Television that four had died, while five people were injured in the blast.

The blast killed three members of the Muslim brotherhood plus the bomber, giving a casualty figure of four, “but before we got to the scene, the group has evacuated the bodies of those effected by the blast,” the CP said.

According to Danladi, the suicide bomber took advantage of the procession to carry out his dastardly act, “Yes a suicide bomber was among the Shia group and detonated his explosive device, killing members of the group,” the CP said, but final casualty figure was yet to be known.

However, the leader of the Muslim brotherhood in Potiskum, Mustapha Lawan, who also spoke to Channels Television on phone, said that 13 people were killed on the spot during the explosion but the figure had risen to 26.

He noted that the figure was still rising because so many people were affected by the explosion.

In the meantime, the Yobe State Governor, Mr Ibrahim Gaidam, has condemned the attack in which many lives were lost and injuries sustained describing it as heinous, barbaric and unwarranted.

In a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Press Affairs, Abdullahi Bego, the Governor expressed regret that the attack came at a time that peace was generally returning to the state.

While describing those behind the attack as criminals, the Governor called on the people of the state to remain prayerful, calm and vigilant and directed the hospitals in the state to provide free medical treatment to all the victims of the attack

The entire area had been condoned off by security men as residents remained in their various locations to avoid being victims of any attack.

Potiskum has been experiencing several bomb attacks with the last one before this occurring two days after the Eid-el Fitr Sallah celebration where worshipers were killed in two separate mosque attacks.

 

 

Suspects Linked To Borno Mosque Attack Arrested

The Nigeria military says 17 militants behind last Sunday’s attack in Konduga village, Borno state where dozens of Muslim worshippers were killed have been arrested.

At least 44 people have been shot dead at a mosque in north-eastern Nigeria, officials in Borno state say.

According to residents,men dressed in military camouflage arrived in Konduga town on Sunday morning, shooting and hacking to death dozens of people returning from morning prayers.

Spokesman for the military, Brigadier Chris Olukolade told Channels Television in Abuja that the militants were nabbed on the day of the attack.

He said efforts are being made to track down more perpetrators of the attack.

Brigadier olukolade also said patrols have been stepped up on land and air , that the number of troops on patrols in rural areas have also been increased to prevent a reoccurrence.