House queries ministry officials over N3.3 billion road contracts

The House of Representatives Committee on Public Accounts has queried the Ministry of Works over alleged irregularities in the award of two road contracts valued at over N3.3bn.

The Chairman of the committee, Mr. Solomon Adeola, said on Sunday that one of the contracts was the N1.045bn Nsukka-Adani Road in Enugu State.

He added that the second contract was sited in Nasarawa State and valued at N2.3bn.

Adeola said the Office of the Auditor-General of the Federation had earlier raised queries on the contracts and forwarded its report to the PAC.

The lawmaker noted that the committee observed a curious “overpayment” of N22m to contractors for the Nsukka-Adani Road in 2006 – two years after the project was abandoned in 2004.

“How come the Federal Ministry of Works issued certificates for further payments to the contractors in 2005 and 2006 even though the contract was terminated in 2004?

“There has to be explanations for this overpayment; it is curious,” he said.

In the case of the road in Nasarawa State, he said the state government initially awarded it for N77m, but it was later taken over by the Federal Government and re-awarded for N2.3bn.

Tribal clash kills 7 in Nasarawa as 14 houses are razed

About seven people have been killed and 14 houses burnt in Obi local government area of Nasarawa state in renewed clashes between Koro and Eggon tribesmen in Nasarawa state.

The state Commissioner of Police, Mr Abayomi Akeremale, who confirmed the killing, stated that several houses were also destroyed by fire during the hostilities between the two tribes in Gwadanye area of Agyaragu.

The constituency office of the Deputy Speaker of the Nasarawa State House of Assembly, Mr Elisha Agwadu, was among those razed.

Some of the casualties are currently receiving treatment at the Specialist Hospital in Lafia, the state capital, north central Nigeria.

Ritualists kill seven year old boy in Nasarawa

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) command of the State Security Service (SSS) has paraded two men who allegedly killed a seven year old boy in Nasarawa state for ritual purpose.

Assistant Director, Operations of the Service, Mister Ibrahim Halilu said the two men, John Yakubu and Ishaya Dakulung were arrested on Sunday afternoon in the Asokoro district of the FCT with the fresh human head while they were looking for a buyer.

Mister Halilu who said the suspects will soon be charged to court, warned parents to closely monitor the movement of their children during the holiday period in order to forestall the activities of evil minded persons.

One of the suspect, John Yakubu who spoke in Hausa said the victim who is an only child of his parents was lured to a river side in New Karshi, Nasarawa state, before severing his head from his body while his partner, Ishaya Dakulung claimed that he was only helping his friend to get a buyer with a promise of being paid  N250,000 (Two hundred and fifty thousand naira).

SON raids two markets in FCT and Nasarawa state

As part of efforts to rid the nation of fake and sub-standard products, the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) stormed two major markets in Abuja and Nasarawa State to seize fake products.

The Head of Administration and Human Capital of the organisation, Mr. Paul Angya who led the exercise said the raid became imperative following the refusal of traders to stop selling fake and sub-standard goods.

The exercise which caught traders at Abuja International Building Materials Market and Mararaba Building Materials Market in Nasarawa state unaware saw the organisation sealing off some shops stocked with fake and sub-standard products.

Officials of the enforcement team of the organisation were accompanied by police officers when they stormed the Abuja International Building Materials Market in Dei-Dei, a satellite town in the Federal Capital Territory with the mission to rid the market of fake and sub-standard goods.

The raid however witnessed a minor resistance as one of the traders challenged the team for carrying out the exercise but he was promptly arrested.

With the arrest of one of the traders, officials of the organisation proceeded to seal some shops found to be stocking fake products but this brought about mixed reactions from some of the traders.

The Head of the enforcement team of the organization, who doubles as the Director, Administration and Human Capital, Paul Angya, however said that traders have no excuse to stock fake products having been given two weeks’ notice to clear the markets of such products.

A similar exercise was also carried out at neighboring Mararaba Building materials market in Nasarawa state where some fake products were seized.

The SON promised to make the exercise a regular one across the nation, so as to stop persons who specialize in stocking fake products from circulating substandard products.

 

Malaria, elephantiasis and high blood pressure are predominant ailments in Nasarawa rural areas

A medical doctor with University of Abuja, Dr Adamu Mohammed has identified malaria, elephantiasis and high blood pressure as some of the ailments predominant in rural areas of Nasarawa state.

Dr Mohammed made the observation during the provision of free medical services by an Islamic organisation, the Ahmadiyya Muslim Jammaat for the people of Uke community in the state over the weekend.

Residents of Uke community in Keffi local government area of Nasarawa state came out in their numbers for free medical services provided by the organisation.

They appealed to government at all levels to equip public hospitals to meet up with the health challenges of the rural areas.

A traditional leader in Uke, Sarkin Hausawa Abdullahi Mohammed, thanked the doctors and the Islamic organisation for the kind gesture.

Organisers of the free health services appealed to the government to pay more attention to the poor irrespective of religious or ethnic leanings.

They argue that the gesture will assist in checking cases of insecurity currently threatening the country.

NYSC reschedules camp activities in volatile states

The National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, has announced the rescheduling of the posting of all corps members deployed to Yobe and Borno States for the 2012 Batch ‘B’ Orientation Course.

A statement by the Director General of NYSC, Brig-Gen Nnamdi Okore-Affia, directed that corps members posted to some volatile states in the North such as Bauchi, Gombe, Plateau, Kano and Kaduna, but have not yet reported to the camp, should immediately report to the NYSC Directorate Headquarters, Abuja for redeployment.

The redeployment and re-scheduling comes after the federal government’s assurance on Wednesday that all corps members across the country during the mandatory NYSC are safe.

The normal orientation activities that were to hold in the troubled states have been scheduled to other states as directed by the statement.

“Yobe State prospective corps members will now hold their orientation course at the Nasarawa State NYSC Permanent Orientation Camp, Keffi, Keffi LGA, and not as stated on their call-up letters.” the statement read.

“Borno State prospective corps members will undertake their orientation programme at the Benue State NYSC Permanent Orientation Camp at Wanume, Tarka LGA, and not as stated on their call-up letters. Date: Thursday 26th July-Thursday 16th August, 2012, as earlier published.”

“In addition, all 2012 Batch ‘B’ prospective corps members deployed to Bauchi, Gombe, Plateau, Kano and Kaduna states who have collected their call-up letters but are yet to report in camp should immediately report at the NYSC Directorate Headquarters, Abuja for redeployment” the statement concluded.

The House of Representatives had on Tuesday ordered the NYSC headquarters to stop posting graduates who have been mobilised for the compulsory national service to volatile states in Northern Nigeria.


N18 billion scam: Court says former Nasarawa governor has a case to answer

A Federal High Court sitting in Lafia, Nasarawa State has ruled that former governor of the State, Aliyu Akwe Doma has a case to answer on corruption charges brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Former governor of the State, Aliyu Akwe Doma

EFCC’s Wilson Uwujaren said the commission told the presiding judge, Justice Marcel Awokulehin to strike out an application seeking to quash the charges againstMr Doma and six others standing trial on a 17 count of money laundering and stealing of state funds totalling over N15 billion.

“The other accused persons are Senator John Dangoyi, Abdulmumin Jibrin, Timothy Anthony Anjide, Dauda Egwa, Suleiman Ibrahim, Broworks Ltd and Green Forest Investment Ltd.” Uwujaren said.

“At the resumed hearing of the case on Monday, Prosecution counsel, Dele Adesina, SAN told the court that EFCC was opposing eight applications brought in by Doma and six other co-accused persons seeking to quash the case against them,” he added.

“Counsel to all the accused persons excluding the 4th and 8th accused persons, S.I Ameh, SAN, had earlier moved a motion to quash the charges preferred against them.”

Counsel to Doma and Abdulmumin Jibrin, Charles Edosonwan, had asked the court to discharge the accused persons because the prosecution did not disclose the element of crime in the charge.

However, EFCC’s Counsel argued that the accused persons’ counsel should have brought the application to quash the case before their plea was taken.

The judge, after ruling that Doma and his co-accused persons have a case to answer, adjourned the case till June 11th, 2012.