Israel Rules Out Negotiations With Palestine

Israeli defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman (C) speaks to reporters ahead of the weekly cabinet meeting at his office in Jerusalem on July 15, 2018. RONEN ZVULUN / POOL / AFP

 

Israel’s defence minister said Monday that negotiations with Palestinians on the situation in both Gaza and the occupied West Bank were pointless and that the country should act unilaterally.

Avigdor Lieberman’s remarks came as Egypt and the United Nations were working to forge a lasting ceasefire between Gaza rulers Hamas and Israel after months of tensions and violence.

“I’m aware of all the negotiations and all the mediators and everything going on there,” he said at a Jerusalem conference, in remarks relayed by his office.

“The negotiations, regardless of whether they’re on Ramallah or Gaza, won’t lead us anywhere,” he said.

“All the negotiations have led us to a dead end, therefore we need to act on the Palestinian issue — regarding Ramallah and Gaza — unilaterally, and define the reality unilaterally, according to our understanding,” Lieberman said.

The outspoken minister reiterated the strategy of enabling more commerce and travel in and from the blockaded Gaza Strip in return for a decrease in militant activity from the Palestinian enclave and clashes along the border.

“The average Gazan concerned about his livelihood and how to feed his family must understand that whoever participates in terror activity harms his livelihood,” he said.

“Security quiet brings economic benefits.”

There have been months of tension along the border and several military-flare ups, but recent weeks have seen relative calm.

Palestinian militants in Gaza and Israel have fought three wars since 2008.

AFP

Osinbajo Has Not Taken Over ASUU Negotiations, Says Laolu Akande

 

The spokesman to the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has refuted an earlier claim by the Labour Minister, Chris Ngige, that the Vice President would be handling the negotiations with the striking Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).

The Federal Government had commenced dialogue with the striking ASUU members, after the Union declared an indefinite strike two weeks ago, citing the failure of the government to implement agreements reached with the union in 2009.

Senior Special Assistant to the Vice President on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande refuted the claim by the Labour Minister, using his social media handle. He said: “news reports that VP Osinbajo has taken over ASUU negotiations is untrue and inaccurate. Labour and Education ministers continue to lead the talks.”

The minister of Labour and employment Chris Ngige had earlier, after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting on Wednesday, said that the Vice President has taken over some of the aspects of the negotiations and discussions.