Cardiff Will Handle Sala’s Transfer Fee ‘In The Right Way’, Says Warnock

Emiliano Sala

 

Manager Neil Warnock said Thursday he is confident that Cardiff will deal with the payment issue over late Argentine striker Emiliano Sala “in the right way”, admitting the matter could have been better handled.

A small aircraft carrying Cardiff’s record £15 million ($19 million) signing from his former club Nantes in France to Britain, disappeared from radar on January 21, two days after he signed for the Premier League club.

The player’s body was recovered on February 7 from the submerged wreck of his plane in the Channel and his funeral was held on Saturday in his home town of Progreso in Argentina.

The body of pilot David Ibbotson has not been found.

Cardiff have so far refused to pay the first instalment of the fee, believed to be £5 million, as they await the results of a probe into the causes of the crash.

According to BBC Wales Sport, both Cardiff and Nantes on Wednesday agreed to a one-week extension to the deadline, meaning the Bluebirds have until February 27 to start paying the fee.

“I’ve known Mehmet Dalman since I’ve been here and I’m quite sure that the club will deal with it in the right way in the next few days because they’ve asked for an extension and I think Nantes have agreed to that,” Warnock told reporters on Thursday.

“I just think certain things were done probably in the reflection that shouldn’t have been done, that stirred everybody up.”

READ ALSO: Sane ‘Sorry’ For Stunning Free-Kick Against Ex-Club Schalke

Warnock declined to go into details at his press conference before his side’s match against Watford on Friday but added: “It created stories that shouldn’t have been done. It should have been kept between the two clubs really.”

Britain’s Daily Telegraph reported on Thursday that Sala signed a potentially invalid contract with Cardiff.

“The Telegraph understands Sala’s Cardiff contract was deemed non-compliant with Premier League rules and was returned to them for him to sign an amended one,” the report said, adding that such discrepancies were not uncommon.

“Cardiff plan to use Sala’s Premier League registration status to argue he was not their player when he died a month ago,” it added.

Warnock declined to comment on the latest reports.

AFP

Aston Villa Part Ways with Manager Paul Lambert

villaAston Villa’s Paul Lambert has emerged the fifth manager to depart in this current Premier League season, after Neil Warnock (Crystal Palace), Alan Irvine (West Bromwich Albion), Alan Pardew (Newcastle United) and Harry Redknapp (Queens Park Rangers).

According to a statement from Aston Villa, Lambert was shown the way out of the club after a run of ten winless games took them into the English Premier League relegation zone.

The forty-five year old took over at Villa Park in 2012 and led the Midlands club to 15th-place finishes in his first two seasons, but the former Scotland midfielder had come under pressure from fans following a poor run of recent form.

Villa’s 2-0 defeat to Hull City on Tuesday night was the last straw for the club’s board. The defeat saw them slip into the relegation zone for the first time this season – they were third from bottom ahead of Wednesday night’s Premier League fixtures.

A lack of goals has been Villa’s primary problem all season – they have managed just 12 in 25 league matches and have not won in 10 games.

A statement on the club’s website read: “Aston Villa Football Club has parted company  with manager Paul Lambert. First-team coach Scott Marshall and goalkeeping coach Andy Marshall will continue to prepare the squad for Sunday’s FA Cup tie with Leicester City at Villa Park.

“The club would also like to place on record its thanks to Paul and take this opportunity to wish him every success in the future.

“The club will announce a new manager in due course. There will be no further comment from the club at this stage.”

Many of Villa’s travelling fans at Hull made it clear they wanted Lambert to be sacked.
After Tuesday’s defeat Lambert remained in defiant mood, saying: “I was aware of it (fan unrest) months ago. I just try to do my best.

“We have a massive fanbase behind us, and they want to see the team doing well. It was a disappointing result.
“We are in a fight. I have said it to the lads in the dressing room. They know it. There is still a lot of football to be played. We just have to go out to win the next game.”

Lambert replaced Alex McLeish in June 2012 after two years with Norwich City. He signed a new contract extension in September last year, shortly after a 1-0 win over Liverpool took them to second place in the table. They won three of their opening four matches of the season, drawing the other.

But Villa’s season soon collapsed – they have won just two of their last 21 games, including a dismal run of 659 minutes without a Premier League goal which ended in a defeat to Chelsea earlier this month.
Nevertheless Villa chiefs showed every sign of resisting the growing unrest among Villa fans and keeping faith in the Scot despite their plunge into the relegation zone.

Villa have been knocked out of the League Cup by third-tier Leyton Orient, but have reached the fifth round of the FA Cup.