Army Kills Boko Haram Kingpin, Brother In Kaduna

Troops interrogating some arrested terroristsA combined team of security operatives, in the early hours of Sunday, have killed a suspected Boko Haram kingpin and his brother in Kinkinau area of Kaduna South Local Government of Kaduna State.

Reports say soldiers traced the house of the suspect in Kinkinua GRA, Imgwan Mu’azu, and shot the man whose name was given as Usman.

Eyewitness account said that the soldiers broke through the wall to gain access into the house, got his family out, and engaged him in a gun battle for about three hours before overwhelming him and his brother.

The district head of Ungwan Muazu and Cikasauron Zazzau, Alhaji Ahmed Aliyu Idris, after visiting the scene, blamed landlords who let out their houses without confirming the character of their tenants for being responsible for the high rate of insurgency in the North.

He asked landlords and residents to be security-conscious and ascertain the identities of tenants in their houses.

It was also gathered that the agent who gave out the house to the suspect and the landlord of the house have been taken away by the security operatives.

A security source who would not want his name mentioned revealed that the suspected Boko Haram member fled from Maiduguri to settle in Kaduna, adding that the team of security operatives that stormed the area had been on the trail of the suspect and were provided with support by troops on ground.

Network Africa: Soyinka On Nigerian Unity, Latest On Pistorius, Ebola Virus

Network Africa MAPNigeria’s Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, believes Nigeria is suffering greater carnage at the hands of Islamist group, Boko Haram, than it did during the civil war, yet this does not mean the country’s break up is imminent.

It’s been agreed, that Oscar Pistorius was very much in his right mind, when he shot his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.

Health ministers from 11 African countries are in the Ghanaian capital, Accra, seeking practical ways to curb the spread of the Ebola virus.

We bring you our conversation with Dr. Femi Akodu, on Nigeria’s response to preventing the virus.

 

CAS Challenge States To Be More Involved In Fight Against Insurgency

Amosu CASThe Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu, has challenged state and local governments, particularly, those affected by the current insecurity situation in the country, to be more involved in the fight against insurgency.

Speaking with journalists in Ilorin on Saturday when he led Air Force officers on inspection of ongoing construction of airport hangar at the Ilorin International Airport, the CAS said that state governments should build, equip and monitor parks in order to fight insurgents before they strike.

“The state governments should put proper plan in place to check people that may want to cause insurgency. There is urgent need for technological innovation to check insecurity.

“For instance, by regulating time for resumption in markets, technology to check people’s movement”, he said.

Air Marshal Amosu, who said the Air Force has been collaborating with the Army and Police on the way to end the insurgency, added that Nigerians generally needed to be more security conscious to avoid spread of insurgency and to combat spate of insurgency in the north eastern parts of the country.

Network Africa: Quest For Justice In Sudan, Egypt, Explosions In Nigeria

Network AfricaThe Sudanese woman sentenced to death for apostasy, who enjoyed barely a day of freedom, has been recaptured for a totally different crime.

Then, Egypt deals a shocking blow to freedom of speech, jails 3 international journalists to the minimum of 7 years, turning the deaf ear to all international outcry.

Fewer eligible voters turn up for Libya’s crucial parliamentary elections. Will the votes be enough to unseat the general national congress? Find out what political analysts are saying

A barrage of bomb explosions in Kano, Mubi, Adamawa State and then Abuja the federal capital of Nigeria, even as security operatives and relative agencies step in to manage the situation

We also bring you the unusual “Finger-full” World Cup predictions from a family with six fingers each, rooting for their country at the World Cup.

Wuse Bombing: Jonathan Visits Bomb Site And Maitama Hospital

jonathan-5-599x300President Goodluck Jonathan, just back from the AU Summit, has taken time out to visit the scene of Wednesday’s bomb blast in Wuse II in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

He described the act as regrettable and painful, promising that those who carried out the bombings and their sponsors would be brought to book.

The President wondered why anyone would be planning evil for those who are carrying out legitimate businesses, fending for their families and contributing to the development of the nation. He described what has happened as one of those dark phases in the history of the country which Nigeria must overcome.

The visit also took him to the Maitama District Hospital, where he sympathized with the wounded who were brought there for treatment.

He used the opportunity to call on Nigerians to shun criticisms of security personnel and rather give them maximum support and information that would enable them fish out those who carried out the terror attacks.

Wuse Bombing: There Is Not Much We Can Tell You – Police

Frank MbaFollowing the bomb blast that occurred in Abuja on Wednesday, the Nigerian Police says it must strike a balance between the need to inform the public and protect the integrity of the ongoing investigation.

This assertion was made by the Police Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, who spoke live via the telephone on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Thursday morning.

Asked to give updates, owing to information that one of the perpetrators of the bombing was arrested, Mba said that at the time, that there was not much he could tell about the ongoing investigation.

He explained that investigating terror related cases was a very sensitive issue that must be handled with all carefulness and caution.

He, however, confirmed that indeed, an arrest was made and the suspect was being interrogated. He also confirmed that Police had commenced a post blast analysis with the region of the blast cordoned off to avoid a compromise of the investigations.

“That’s the most that can be said for now”, he said.

On the response time of the rescue team, which witnesses have commended to be quite quick, Mr Mba corroborated the commendation and gave credits to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Fire Service for their quick response.

He also commended the occupants of the shopping mall for their vigilance which resulted in the arrest made. He noted that the sensitization exercise of security agencies in all the public places paid off in the sense that the mall occupants were not only able to identify a suspect but were also able to ensure that the bomber did not get to the centre of their premises.

He added that they have been able to prevent a more devastating tragedy with their vigilance.

On moving forward, the Police PRO gave series of advice to occupants of public commercial centres across the country on how to protect themselves and their facilities from further attack.

He said that they must maintain discipline among themselves by paying attention to the people who come into their premises, as “access control must be strict”. He also suggested that parking lots that are away from core business centres would be much safer for all.

While emphasizing the need to install CCTV on their premises, he asked that they must work much closer with security agencies and arm themselves with phone numbers of the Police and the SSS.

He stated that the security number 112 was at the beck and call of every Nigerian but they should do more than cramming it but also have the control room number of the state in which they reside.

The phone numbers of the Police, the Department of State Service (DSS), and that of the National Security Adviser, he said, were available on the Police website, Frank Mba’s blog and other websites of security agencies.

He called on corporate organisations to help the Police and other security agencies to promote the numbers as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility. He also appealed to Channels Television to further help with its credible international platform by scrolling the numbers periodically to reach out to its millions of viewers in Nigeria and across the world.

He promised that the Police would continue to do everything possible to strengthen its security apparatus to ensure the safety of Nigeria and Nigerians.

Six Killed In Kaduna Violence

ViolenceTwo people have been reported killed on Sunday during a violent clash that erupted at Fadan-Chawai village in Kauru Local Government Area of Kaduna State, following an announcement of a new chief of the community by the State Government.

Report also said that four other persons were killed by yet-to-be identified gunmen separately in two villages including a man and his wife, who were said to have been attacked in Rikarwan village in Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of the state.

Also, another man, Dauda Maidawa, and his wife, Alheri, who were said to have travelled to their farm, located at Fadan-Karshi in Sanga Local Government Area of the state, in the early hours of Saturday were found dead.

According to an eyewitness, “The gunmen came on Sunday night with dangerous weapons, killed the couple and injured four others before escaping through a nearby bush.

At Fadan-Chawai, it was gathered that youths went on rampage, destroying property worth millions of Naira over the announcement of the new chief of the community whom they claimed was not their choice candidate.

However, the Kaduna State Police Command’s Public Relations Officer, Aminu Lawan, said that he was yet to get the details of the incidents.

 

Eight Dead In Kano School Of Hygiene’s Explosion

bomb-explosionEight persons have been confirmed dead in a blast at the School of Hygiene in Kano, the Kano State capital in northern Nigeria.

The blast, which occurred on Monday, is suspected to have been from an explosive device.

Briefing reporters in Abuja, the coordinator of the National Information Centre, Mr Mike Omeri, said “several others who sustained several degrees of injuries are receiving medical attention at various health centres across the state.

Mr Omeri also announced the death of a notorious terrorist, Mallam Husseini, who died in an encounter between members of the Boko Haram sect and a Military convoy along Jos-Bauchi high way.

The ‎spokesperson of the Kano Police, Magaji Majiya, who earlier confirmed the blast, told reporters that officers were on their way to the scene of the blast.

He said the area had been cordoned off and that the commissioner would address the media at the scene.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack but a terrorist group, Boko Haram has carried out similar attacks in Kano and states in Nigeria’s northeast region.

Network Africa: Defining Moments In Egypt And Nigeria

Network AfricaThis edition of Network Africa focuses on major events in Egypt and Nigeria with updates on what the Ebola virus has been doing in other parts of the continent.

The Egyptian Electoral Commission finally releases results of the country’s presidential election and as expected, former Army Chief, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, won with an overwhelming majority.

The world’s most dreaded virus, Ebola, claims more lives in West Africa. The World Health Organisation reveals alarming figures from Guinea.

Back in Nigeria, it has been a horrifying story of an attack in a village near the Borno State capital, Maiduguri.

Enjoy our in-depth analysis, interviews and reports.

 

Network Africa: Twin Explosions Rock Nigeria As Killings Subside In South-Sudan

Network Africa MAPOn this edition of Network Africa, as always, we begin at home in Nigeria and it’s on a very unfortunate note.

On Tuesday May 20, the terminus market was the scene of the twin explosions in Jos metropolis, North Central Nigeria.

The explosions are believed to have been caused by an improvised explosive device which went off in the busy main market.

Based on eye witness accounts, just when people were struggling to comprehend what had just happened and tried to rescue victims of the first explosion, another blast occurred ten metres away, 15 minutes later.

Still on the African continent, things seem to be looking up in South Sudan, as killings have descended dramatically and donors including the US and the UK have pledged more than $600million in aid to the country during a conference in Norway.

The judge in the trial Oscar Pistorius has ordered him to start daily tests on Monday, May 23, in order to assess his mental state when he killed his girlfriend.

Judge Thokozile Masipa told the South African athlete to attend a psychiatric hospital in Pretoria as an outpatient for a month, and this comes after a defense witness said that the double amputee was suffering from generalized anxiety disorder.

Egyptians will be heading to the polls next week to elect a new president and without surprise, demonstrations were in full swing during the week and things turned violent when 3 riot police were killed as they tried to disperse protesters.

Speaking of Egypt, a court in the country has sentenced former President Hosni Mubarak to three years in prison after finding him guilty of embezzling public funds.

His two sons, Alaa and Gamal, were also convicted and given four-year terms. The three were also fined $3million and ordered to repay the $17.6million which they were accused of stealing.

The 86 year old is also on trial for abuse of power and conspiring in the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising that forced him to resign.

He was found guilty of the charge relating to the protesters in 2012 along with former Interior Minister, Habib Al-Adly and sentenced to life in prison.

Enjoy the reports on all our lead stories including details from Libya where the citizens are fighting for their rights to press freedom.

 

Bad Weather Hampers Search For S/Korea Ferry Survivors

SKorea FerryBad weather, murky water and strong currents have been hampering the search for survivors of the South Korean ferry disaster as loved ones and anxious relatives offer prayers for the safe return of their loved ones.

Emergency services are still searching for nearly 300 people missing after a ship carrying more than 470 people sank.

Officials say 179 people have been rescued. Most of the passengers were pupils at the same high school.

The captain of the sunken South Korean ferry apologized to families of the victims and those missing on Thursday (April 17) as the coast guard investigates him. The ferry sank off South Korea’s southwest coast on Wednesday, leaving at least nine dead and about 290 missing

Witnesses told Korean media that the captain of the vessel, who is now being held by police, was one of the first to leave the stricken vessel.

The vessel, carrying 475 passengers and crew, capsized during a journey from the northwestern port of Incheon to the southern holiday island of Jeju. It went down about 20 km off the country’s southwestern coast.

Meanwhile, South Korean President, Park Geun-Hye, visited the site of the accident as coast guards continue search operations for about 290 missing people.

In the video, Park observed search operations on a boat and was briefed by a coast guard officer.

Rescuers fought rising winds and waves as they searched for hundreds of people, mostly teenage schoolchildren, still missing.

Frustrated parents of some of the missing school children are, however, hiring their own boats and divers to find survivors. Others jeer at coastguard officials asking why they’re not out searching for the missing passengers.

So far 179 people have been rescued and nine confirmed dead in what could be the country’s worst maritime accident in 20 years.

It is not known why the 6,586 ton vessel, built in Japan 20 years ago, sank.

Network Africa: Seeking Justice And Creating Wealth From Electronic Waste

This edition of Network Africa looks at the tempers flaring at Nigeria’s National Conference, where there has been a threat of walkout.

Eyebrow raising details spring up during the Oscar Pistorious in South Africa, while hundreds of people get the death sentence in Egypt.

We also bring you a new perspective to all the things you may have tagged trash, as we focus on electronic waste and the wealth in recycling.