FG Clears First Consultants To Re-Open

Empty hospital.......no doctors
Empty hospital…….no doctors

The Federal Government has issued a Certification of Decontamination to First Consultants Medical Centre, the hospital in Lagos which treated Nigeria’s Ebola index case, Patrick Sawyer. They have also been given the permission to re-open for business.

In two letters from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, both parties notified First Consultants that it had been cleared to reopen for business, having undergone three rounds of state-certified decontamination processes.

The Lagos State Government also commiserated with the hospital over the loss of its medical personnel, “who died in the line of duty” and expressed its appreciation for the altruistic role it played in containing and managing the Ebola virus, “thus preventing an epidemic.

“The Ministry is in receipt of a letter dated August 29, 2014, from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, Ebola Emergency Centre, Lagos, informing that your facility has had three rounds of state-certified decontamination process.

“The Ministry acknowledges the role your facility played in alerting the State Government of the index case of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) and appreciates your altruistic gestures in containing and managing this dealy virus, thus preventing an epidemic.

“We also commiserate with you on your members of staff who died in the line of duty.

“First Consultants has now been cleared to reopen for business. We hope that with this reopening, your facility will continue to maintain its high quality of standards”, the statement said

First Consultants was shut down and quarantined by the Federal Government on July 26 in line with the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) protocol on the virus, following the death of Sawyer at the hospital on July 25.

The hospital lost a number of its health care workers to the Ebola outbreak, including its Senior Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist, Dr. A. S. Adadevoh.

Lagos State Confirms Possible Case Of Ebola Virus

Ebola_Virus
Lagos State Government officials briefing journalists on the possibility of Ebola Virus in the state.

The Lagos State Government has confirmed a possible case of Ebola Virus, which is been currently investigated while treatment is on for the 40 year old Liberian, who is now a suspect, and a possible 30 others who may have had contact.

The Special Adviser to the Lagos State Governor on Public Health, Dr Yewande Adeshina, in a briefing noted that the 40 year old Liberian is in a private hospital in the Obalende area of the State.

Dr Adeshina also noted that the hospital housing the Liberian has been cordoned off and the victim isolated.

She warned residents to “keep personal and environmental hygiene” and urged those who notice “strange feeling or symptoms similar to those of Ebola virus, which ranges from fever, headache, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, sore throat and joint pains, which are all symptoms of other ailments, to visit competent health facilities”.

In the absence of such facilities, she said residents should call the following numbers 08023169485, 08033086660, 08033065303, 08055281442, 08055329229.

The State government had earlier in July laid out some precautionary measures to stop the outbreak of the disease, that has ravaged neighbouring west African countries, in the state.

The State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, had in a statement, said the measures became necessary with a view to preventing the outbreak of the disease in the State

He listed measures that will help in stopping the outbreak to include; washing of hands often with soap and water, avoiding close contact with people who are sick and ensuring that objects used by the sick are decontaminated and properly disposed.

He advised health workers to be at alert and ensure they always wear personal protective equipment as well as observe universal basic precautions when attending to suspected or confirmed cases, and report same to their Local Government Area or Ministry of Health immediately.

Meanwhile the Federal Government and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) had commenced the training of health workers to prevent the deadly Ebola virus from spreading into the country.

The training, which was held in Ibadan in April 2014, had laboratory scientists and epidemiologists from the South-West zone of the country in attendance for two weeks.

Head of the team, Dr. John Oladejo, told journalists that those involved received training on mode of transmission, prevention and control measure against the deadly virus.

He warned that the disease is difficult and expensive to manage.

Ebola has killed 632 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since an outbreak began in February.

He advised health workers to be at alert and ensure they always wore personal protective equipment as well as observed universal basic precautions when attending to suspected or confirmed cases, and report same to their Local Government Area or Ministry of Health immediately. – See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/lagos-issues-alert-ebola-gives-precautionary-tips/#sthash.pIUqBFiL.dpuf

 

ome  precautionary measures to prevent the outbreak  of the deadly virus in the state. – See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/lagos-issues-alert-ebola-gives-precautionary-tips/#sthash.pIUqBFiL.dpuf