Xenophobia: Nigeria High Commission In South Africa Responds

The Nigeria High Commission in South Africa has responded to the recent attacks on foreigners including Nigerians and their businesses by South Africans.

The High Commissioner, Ambassador Kabiru Bala in a statement on Tuesday urged all Nigerian victims in South Africa to come forward to report their situation to the High Commission as a list of victims is being compiled.

Bala said with the list of the victims complied, Nigeria High Commission will then hold Diplomatic talks with the South African government.

RELATED: 

Xenophobia: South Africans Invade Nigerians, Other Foreigners’ Businesses

FG Summons South Africa High Commissioner Over Xenophobic Attacks

“The High Commission of Nigeria in Pretoria views with concern the ongoing loss of lives, arson, and looting of properties in some parts of Gauteng Province of South Africa.

“Some of the victims of the anarchy are Nigerians and other Africans.

“The High Commission and the Consulate in Pretoria and Johannesburg are compiling the list of all the Nigerian victims of the current anarchy for engagement with the South African government and other stakeholders for succour.

“In this regard, all Nigerian victims of the current attacks are requested to come forward to report their situation to the High Commission and the Consulate.

“The two Missions will continue to be home to all Nigerians in this trying times and in the future. Since the outbreak of the attacks last week, the two Missions have remained open and continued to render normal services to Nigerians and other customers without hindrance,” the statement read in part.

The Commission also appealed to all Nigerians to remain calm and avoid any ‘precipitate action.’

The statement added that any action taken hurriedly that may jeopardise the “arduous task of engaging the South African government through diplomatic channels to bring the situation under control and to restore normalcy.”

Presidency: Kyari Never Used High Commission Funds For Medical Treatment In London

Presidency, Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari, Garba-Shehu, High CommissionThe Presidency in Nigeria has cleared the air over the controversy trailing the treatment of the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari.

Spokesman to President Muhammadu Buhari, Mr Garba Shehu, explained that Mr Kyari did not use the funds of the Nigeria High Commission in the United Kingdom to pay his medical bills in the European Nation.

He noted in a statement he issued on Monday that the allegations contained in a report published by an online news medium, were totally incorrect, misleading and a total fabrication.

Mr Shehu’s statement read: “The Nigeria High Commission in London did not at any time ever settle the medical bills or any other bills for that matter as Abba Kyari personally took responsibility for paying his own bills. This is by the Chief of Staff’s choice. He pays for his medicals, his taxi and accommodation in the UK, in spite of the high office he occupies, even when there is no rule that says he cannot be catered for by government.

“For the records, Kyari was rushed out of Nigeria for an emergency medical treatment on the fateful December 1, 2016. To receive him on arrival, the Wellington Hospital needed to have cash deposited, or in the absence of this, a letter of guarantee.

“In order to meet this condition, the Nigeria High Commission in London wrote the Letter of Guarantee to the hospital for treatment to commence. The role of the High Commission didn’t involve financial commitments on behalf of Kyari.

“The Letter of Guarantee from the High Commission was meant to meet the routine requirements of the Wellington Hospital since the patient in question (Kyari) didn’t possess the UK National Health Insurance.

“Apart from senior government officials, other reputable Nigerians are issued with such guarantee letters to hospitals. A guarantor is not liable unless there is a default, but this wasn’t the case with Abba Kyari who paid all his medical bills by himself as he had done on previous occasions.

“Hospital records are available for verification to show that the Nigeria High Commission in London didn’t spend a penny on Kyari, as its involvement didn’t go beyond the issuance of the letter of guarantee to the Wellington Hospital”.