Real Madrid Signs German World Cup Star, Toni Kroos

KroosGermany’s World Cup winner, Toni Kroos, has completed his £24million move to Spanish La Liga giant, Real Madrid from Bayern Munich.

Kroos, who was a key player for Germany as they beat Argentina 1-0 to win the World Cup and scoring two goals in the 7-1 demolition of host, Brazil in the semi finals, was presented to the fans at the Santiago Bernabeu on Thursday afternoon after undergoing a medical.

The 24 year old was delighted to sign and said he would win trophies for the Galacticos.

 “I know that at this club you are expected to win trophies but I’m the right man for that because I’m used to winning.

“I know this is the correct decision and I’m very proud to have made it.

“I cannot think of anything more wonderful than being here. This is the biggest club in the world.

“In 2013 I won the Champions League and in 2014 Real won it, and I hope we can win it again next year. I hope to be able to return the confidence this club has shown in me.”

Bayern Munich Chairman, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, has thanked Toni Kroos for his quota in making Bayern great and wished him well.

 “We would like to thank Toni Kroos for his time here in Munich.

“We enjoyed great success here together. We would like to wish him and his family all the best in Madrid and with Real.”

Kroos joined Bayern from Hansa Rostock as a 16-year-old but spent 18 months on loan at Bayer Leverkusen and to Munich where he made 173 Bundesliga appearances and won three Bundesliga titles in four seasons, the DFB-Pokal three times and being part of the historic treble-winning side of 2012/13.

They also won the UEFA Champions League before winning the UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup last year.

Nigeria Will Be Tough To Defeat – France Coach, Deschamps

Didier+DeschampsFrance coach, Didier Deschamps, has admitted that his team face a tough clash when they take on Nigeria in the last 16 of the Brazil 2014 World Cup in Brasilia on Monday.

The Super Eagles qualified into the second round despite A 3-2 loss to Argentina in their last group game in Porto Alegre on Wednesday, while the Le Blues of France played out a goalless draw against Ecuador on Wednesday to confirm their place at the top of Group E

Deschamps, who was impressed with the Stephen Keshi led side despite the loss to Argentina, said France must “fight” again to get past Nigeria to seal their place in the quarterfinals.

The France 98 World Cup winning captain believes Nigeria has the qualities to trouble any team and they must focus if they have to go past the African champions to seal a place in the quarter finals.

“Some people thought we were the kings of the world after beating Switzerland (5-2) but Ecuador showed they have qualities, and Argentina had a difficult match against Nigeria.

“Nigeria are a strong, fast team who have great qualities and it is going to be a really difficult match and we will have to fight”, Deschamps said.

Nigeria and France have only met once , in a friendly affair at Stade Geoffroy-Guichard on June 2, 2009. Joseph Akpala got on the scoresheet after 32 minutes to help the Eagles to a 1-0 victory.

 

FIFA Bans Suarez For Four Months After Biting Chiellini

suarezWorld football governing body, FIFA, have suspended Uruguay star, Luis Suarez, from all football-related activity for four months for biting Italy defender, Giorgio Chiellini, and have also being expelled from the World Cup.

Suarez flew back to Montevideo in disgrace last night after being told his participation in the ongoing 2014 World Cup was over following an unprecedented FIFA punishment.

The Liverpool striker was evicted from Uruguay’s team hotel on Thursday as part of his immediate four-month ban, which would see him miss the opening 13 games for Liverpool next season as well as the next nine competitive Uruguayan international matches

The independent FIFA disciplinary committee, chaired by Claudio Sulser of Switzerland, reached the decision to hand Suarez a World Cup record ban after 10 hours of talks spread over Wednesday night and Thursday morning before it was announced at FIFA’s daily briefing at the Maracana.

The committee took into account that this was the third time Suarez had bitten an opponent, the first, PSV Eindhoven’s Otman Bakkal in 2010, for which he received a seven-match ban, and then Chelsea defender, Branislav Ivanovic in 2013, which he got a 10-game ban.

Sulser said: “Such behaviour cannot be tolerated and in particular not at a World Cup when the eyes of millions are on the stars on the field. The disciplinary committee took into account all the factors of the case and the degree of Mr Suarez’s guilt in accordance with the relevant provisions of the code.”

The player and the Uruguay FA had been informed minutes beforehand and the suspension starts with immediate effect.

The Uruguayan Football Association are preparing an appeal against the severity of the sentence, which they describe as an “excessive decision” for which “there was not enough evidence” and also includes a £64,000 fine. But there is no chance of Suarez appearing at Brazil 2014 again and his future at Liverpool is also plunged into uncertainty through the length of the suspension.

Uruguay FA President, Wilmar Valdez, said: “We are preparing our appeal to present to FIFA in the next few hours. It’s an extremely excessive punishment, there was not enough evidence and I have seen more aggressive incidents.

“It feels like Uruguay has been thrown out of the World Cup. We all know what Suarez means to Uruguay and to football around the world. Luis will travel home to recover with his family.”

FIFA’s strict regulations,  barring him from any involvement in football means he cannot even watch Liverpool or Uruguay in action as he is banned from football stadiums and must train alone away from Liverpool’s Melwood training ground.

Even in football exile, Suarez can be sold, which pundits thinks is a strong possibility, but cannot personally join in negotiations in mooted moves to Barcelona or Real Madrid.

The news was greeted with dismay by the Liverpool owners in Boston and the club are taking specialist legal advice before deciding what to do about Suarez.

Given the length of his ban, the Merseyside club, who have not been contacted by FIFA or the Uruguay FA, feel they are being punished for an offence they had no part in.

Chief Executive, Ian Ayre, said: “Liverpool Football Club will wait until we have seen and had time to review the FIFA disciplinary committee report before making any further comment.”

Uruguay face Colombia in the last 16 on Saturday and Central defender, Jose Maria Gimenez, said that the team were “more united than ever”, while the country’s Sports Minister, Liliam Kechichian, commented: “We are hurt by this excessive sanction. Now let’s see how we can help this human being and whether the group can show its class and its love for La Celeste.”

Britain’s FIFA Vice-President, Jim Boyce, said: “The punishment is fully justified. Hopefully he will realise now that behaviour of this type will not be tolerated.”

Under the terms of the ban, Suarez cannot train with Liverpool and is prohibited from entering the confines of any stadium during the period of his suspension.

But Liverpool would not be prevented from selling the former Ajax player this summer should they decide to offload him to another club.