Pilot Dies As NAF Aircraft Crash In Abuja

Scenes from the site of the aircrash

 

Two aircraft of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) have been involved in an accident.

This was disclosed on Friday in a statement signed by the NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola.

Daramola said the air accident occurred during rehearsals for the Independence day celebrations.

“I wish to confirm an air incident involving 2 Nigerian Air Force aircraft taking part in the rehearsals for the 58th Independence Day Celebrations,” he said.

Daramola did not state if the accident was a collision or a crash.

READ ALSO: Minimum Wage: Unions Shut Down Operations At General Aviation Terminal Of Lagos Airport

One of the aircraft was reported to have gone up in flames before it eventually crashed.

The Nigerian Air Force in a different press release later on Friday announced the death of one of its pilots who was involved in an accident.

NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, made the announcement on Friday.

“It is with a heavy heart that I regretfully announce that one of the pilots who successfully ejected from one of the F-7Ni aircraft that crashed earlier today has passed on. May his soul RIP,” Daramola said.

Pilot Dies In NAF Aircraft Crash

The Nigerian Air Force has announced the death of one of its pilots.

The pilot died on Friday after two of the NAF aircraft were involved in an accident while rehearsing for the Independence Day celebration.

NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, made the announcement on Friday.

“It is with a heavy heart that I regretfully announce that one of the pilots who successfully ejected from one of the F-7Ni aircraft that crashed earlier today has passed on. May his soul RIP,” Daramola said.

He added that details on the incident will be communicated later.

See photos from the scene of the crash below…

Nigerian Air Force Provides Medical Support To Persons Displaced By Flood

 

The Nigerian Air Force has commenced a five-day medical outreach at the Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camp in Zungeru, Niger State, following the flooding in the state.

Currently, about 1,200 persons are being accommodated in the camp after their homes were submerged and their farmlands destroyed, as water from the Shiroro and Zungeru dams overflowed.

As the government tries to manage the situation, the Air Force says the outreach is expected to complement its efforts, as well as help to reduce the risks of an outbreak of diseases.

Health workers in the camp say malaria, cholera and diarrhoea are major ailments already being presented by the IDPs.

Read Also:  Niger State Govt Seeks FG Intervention As Flood Kills 40

At Least 40 Killed

So far, at least 40 people have been killed with over 100 homes submerged by the flood.

The state governor, Abubakar Bello, says the situation is beyond the state’s control and has, therefore, appealed to the Federal Government to intervene.

With the increase in rainfall and flooding across several states, President Muhammadu Buhari ordered the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), to declare it a national disaster.

Subsequently, the agency made the declaration in four states and placed eight others on the watch list.

The four states are Kogi, Niger, Delta and Anambra.

Prior to that development, NEMA’s Director-General, Mustapha Maihaja, had inaugurated five Emergency Operation Centres (EOC) to facilitate prompt search and rescue operations as well as humanitarian support in the 12 worst-hit states.

The Emergency Response Centres will be responsible for planning, organising, directing and supervising deployment of resources with the affected state governments and local authorities and communities.

Read More: NEMA Inaugurates Emergency Centres As Floods Displace Thousands

The primary objective is to localize the responses and expedite intervention to save lives and facilitate quick recovery.

Alleged N22.8bn Fraud: Witness Testifies Against Amosu, Others

Alleged N22.8bn Fraud: Witness Testifies Against Amosu, Others
File photo: Adesola Amosu

 

An Investigator of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Tosin Owobo, has told a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos that some of the funds allegedly diverted from the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) were meant for the purchase of aviation fuel and for “operations” related to fighting the Boko Haram insurgency.

He revealed this on Tuesday while testifying in the trial of a former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu (rtd), and some others.

The others are a former NAF Chief of Accounts and Budgeting, Air Vice Marshal Jacob Adigun, and a former NAF Director of Finance and Budget, Air Commodore Olugbenga Gbadebo.

The EFCC accused them of converting about N22.8bn from the Air Force through various companies, namely Delfina Oil and Gas Ltd, Mcallan Oil and Gas Ltd, Hebron Housing and Properties Company Ltd, Trapezites BDC, Fonds and Pricey Ltd, Deegee Oil and Gas Ltd, Timsegg Investment Ltd, and Solomon Health Care Ltd.

In his testimony during the continuation of their trial on Tuesday, the EFFC investigator said the funds were transferred from the Ministry of Defence to the NAF operation account with various descriptions, including “Operation Lafia Dole.”

He said a team of eight operatives from the anti-graft agency, including himself, investigated the sources of funds which flowed into NAF operation account.

Owobo disclosed that there were inflows of N1billion on January 17, 2013; N100million on May 15, 2013, and N18.6million on June 12, 2013, from the Ministry of Defence Headquarters.

Cross-examining the witness, counsel to the former Air Chief, Bolaji Ayorinde, asked, “While doing analysis during your investigations, did you discover what purpose the inflow was meant for?”

In his response, the witness said, “After we began our investigations, the NAF officers we had a discussion with told us that money paid into this account was for operational activities.”

Ayorinde further inquired, “Did you ask the Ministry of Defence why the N1billion was paid from the Ministry?” while Owobo responded that he cannot remember.

Asked if he knew what the N18.6 million was also meant for, the EFCC investigator said they did not inquire.

Owobo also claimed that another former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh (rtd), was among those interviewed during the investigation and that he made a statement.

Ayorinde then asked that Badeh’s statement, which was not frontloaded, be provided, stressing that he needed the statement for his client’s defence.

The prosecuting counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, then prayed that the matter be stood down for 20 minutes to enable him to get Badeh’s statement.

He also opposed Ayorinde’s application for an adjournment, saying it would further delay the case.

However, all the other lawyers on the defence team rejected the application for a stand-down, insisting it was better to adjourn the case.

In his ruling, Justice Mohammed Idris held, “Section 36 of the Constitution guarantees the right to fair hearing, which means that the rights and interests of parties to a dispute before the court should be protected.”

“Where a party to a criminal trial has applied for documents in the possession of the state to enable him to prepare adequately for his defence, the state has a duty to make available to that party, duly certified copies of the documents upon payment of the required legal fees.

“In the interest of justice, I think it is more convenient to adjourn in line with the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act. I know that while justice delayed is justice denied, justice rushed is justice crushed. We shall adjourn in the interest of justice.”

The matter was consequently adjourned till May 15.

Gunmen Attack Nigerian Air Force Helipad In Yenagoa

 

A yet-to-be identified gunman has attacked a guard post at the Nigerian Air Force Helipad killing one air-man in the process.      

NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Olatokunbo Adesanya who confirmed this in a statement on Monday said the attack occurred early on Sunday, May 13.

“In the early hours of Sunday, 13 May 2018, a group of unknown gunmen attacked the guard post at Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Helipad at Igbodene in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

“Although the NAF personnel on duty were able to repel the attack, an airman paid the supreme sacrifice in the process. The Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, has immediately ordered an investigation to unravel the circumstances surrounding the incident,” the statement read in part.

The public relations officer of NAF also revealed that an investigation has been launched into the incident.

Killings: Nigerian Air Force Deploys Special Forces To Taraba

The Nigerian Air Force has deployed Special Forces to Nguroje Community in Taraba State to curb incessant killings and attacks in the state.

Taraba is one of the states affected by clashes between farmers and herdsmen, which has led to the death of many.

Others states where the Nigerian Air Force has established various special units, include Goma, Nasarawa State and Agatu in Benue state.

The Director of operations of the Nigerian Air Force, Napoleon Bali, who represented the Chief of Air Staff, urged the troops to collaborate with other security forces on ground for a successful operation.

“The Nigerian Airforce has established various special units all over the country. You are here today for special duties. I urge you to partner with other security agencies here including the Nigerian Army, DSS, Police and other security outfits here in Taraba State,” Bali said.

Since the beginning of the year there have been incessant attacks in various region in the country leading to the loss of lives.

The troops who arrived in two waves from Kaduna, on board a c-130 aircraft are expected to camp in the community until the menace is curbed.

Nigerian Air Force Takes Delivery Of Additional Gunships From Russia

Nigerian Air Force on Monday took delivery of two Mi-35M helicopter gunships ordered from Russia by the Federal government in 2015.

The newly delivered gunships are the second batch as two others were earlier delivered in December 2016.

The Antonov aircraft, which brought the new Mi-35M helicopters, touched down on the runway at NAF Base Makurdi at exactly 12.20 p.m. on Monday and would be deployed to counter terrorism operations after it is officially inducted into the Nigerian Air Force fighter jets assets in Kaduna state.

Receiving the gunships on behalf of the Chief of Air Staff, the Chief of Aircraft Engineering NAF Headquarters, Air Vice Marshal Abdulganiyu Olabisi, said the new gunships has night vision fighting capabilities.

According to him, the helicopters will help troops in the counter terrorism operations in both troubled North East and North Central region of the country.

Chief Of Aircraft Engineering, NAF Headquarters, Abdulganiyu Olabisi said the helicopters were needed to combat insecurity in the country. He added that after being assembled by the Russian experts in Nigeria, the helicopters will be deployed to war zones

“We are aware of the prevailing security situation in the country and the effort the Federal Government is making to ensure that every part of Nigeria is safe and secure.

“We are happy we have a team of Russian engineers who are going to assist in the reassembling of these helicopters,” he said.

He added that the helicopters will subsequently be deployed to the conflict zones in the country.

Air Force Deploys More Assets To Search For Dapchi Schoolgirls

Air Force Deploys More Assets To Search For Dapchi Schoolgirls
File photo

 

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has deployed additional air assets, including Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) platforms, to the North East in a renewed effort at locating the missing Dapchi girls.

NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Vice Marshal Olatokunbo Adesanya, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday.

READ ALSO: Boko Haram Not Totally Defeated, But Terribly Degraded – Presidency

The deployment comes barely one week after 110 students went missing following an invasion of the Government Girls Science Technical College (GGSTC), Dapchi, in Yobe State, by suspected Boko Haram terrorists.

Since the confirmation of reports that some of the girls were yet to be accounted for, the Air Force had deployed some ISR platforms and helicopters to search for and possibly locate the missing girls as well as the insurgents.

The efforts, however, did not yield the desired results as the search operations were conducted in a covert manner, for obvious reasons.

FG Confirms Abduction Of 110 Dapchi Schoolgirls

The Chief of Air Staff (CAS) Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar consequently directed the immediate deployment of additional air assets and NAF personnel to the troubled region, with the sole mission of conducting day and night searches for the missing girls.

“It is noteworthy that the renewed efforts at locating the girls are being conducted in close liaison with other surface security forces,” the statement read.

The Air Force noted that it would spare no efforts at possibly locating the girls via its air operations.

It also called on Nigerians, especially the locals who might have any information that could lead to the location of the girls to bring such information forward to NAF authorities or other relevant security agencies.

Israel Trains Nigerian Air Force On Counter-Terrorism

 

file photo

Following the resurgence of Boko Haram attacks in the northeast, which has resulted in the deaths of many people and abduction of innocent students,  Special Forces  from the Nigerian Air Force has been trained on counter-terrorism to help deal with the situation.

The troops who were trained by the Israeli military team are expected to be deployed to the northeast and other troubled parts of the country.

During their graduation ceremony at the Nigerian Airforce Regiment Centre in Kaduna State, the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, urged the troops to always Imbibe the attributes of absolute discipline, teamwork and courage, wherever they will be posted in the cause of their military career.

The emergence of Boko Haram terrorist group in 2009 which led to the loss of thousands of lives as well as crippled socioeconomic activities in Nigeria’s northeast region, no doubt, took the nation’s security agencies by surprise.

This is as a result of their non-preparedness to deal with such security threats that almost threatened the country’s sovereignty.

Poised to tackle the emerging security challenges and restore normalcy in the trouble parts, the Nigerian Air Force is taking the issue of capacity building very serious, in line with contemporary challenges.

This training of 150 Nigerian Airforce Special forces by a team of Israeli military officers.

Nigerian Air Force Aircraft Crashes In Kaduna

File photo

A Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Air Beetle Aircraft on Thursday crashed in Kaduna State while on a mission.

The only person on board was a  NAF experienced instructor pilot who died during the incident.

This was disclosed in a statement by the Director of Public Relations and Information of the Air Force, Air Commodore Olatokunbo Adesanya.

According to the statement, although the cause of the incident is unknown, the Chief of Air Staff (CAS) has directed the constitution of a board of inquiry to determine the causes of the crash.

“The unfortunate incident is a tragic reminder of the hazards associated with the flying profession. The CAS and the entire NAF family commiserate with the relatives of the late instructor pilot,” the statement read.

UK Trains Nigerian Air Force Officers On Counter-Terrorism

A team of military personnel from the UK have arrived Nigeria to train a battalion of Nigerian Air Force officers and airmen on counter-terrorism and asset protection operations.

Speaking at the commencement of the training at the Air Force Base, Mando in Kaduna State, the Air Officer Commanding Training Command, Air Vice Marshal Christopher Okoye said the initiative was aimed at training Air Force personnel on asset protection and regimentation.

“The Chief of the air staff recently opened so many bases and also acquired so many assets so there is need for the Nigerian Air Force to protect assets, that is why we brought in British partners to train our regimen personnel on how to protect our air assets, that is why they are here to assist us in capacity building.”

The training according to him, will involve field and academic exercises as part of strategies to improve skills and capacity of Air Force personnel.

The UK Military team leader, Air Commodore John Riss explained that the partnership between the UK military and Nigeria’s Armed Forces was borne out of the commitment of the present administration in waging war against global terrorism and violent extremism.

“We can start by saying that the UK apportions a high degree of importance on supporting Nigeria in capacity building. We are trying to create a bespoke force for a bespoke task in training the Nigerian Air Force regiment,” he said.

Nigerian Air Force Trains Traffic Controllers

Nigerian Air Force, Bombing, BornoThe Nigerian Air Force management has pledged continuous support in the training of its critical manpower and security of the nation’s airspace, especially in the area of air traffic control and base operations.

The Director of Air Traffic Services, Air Vice Marshal, Bello Garba, made the pledge at the graduation ceremony of 31 air traffic controllers and base operators held at the 401 Flying Training School, Air Force Base, Mando Kaduna.

The Air Vice Marshal explained that the safety and security of the nation’s airspace depend largely on the capacity of critical personnel of both the Nigerian Air Force and other aviation stakeholders, hence the effort in training and retraining of airmen and airwomen cannot be underestimated.

The objective of the course is to enable service personnel acquire the practical and supervisory knowledge in their duties, especially during Military operations and safeguarding the nation’s airspace.