Sex-For-Passport Scandal: Nigerian Embassy In Germany Fires Security Officer

Passport
Nigeria passport

 

The Nigerian Embassy in Germany has sacked one of its local staff who is a security officer after he was found guilty of sexual abuse and other criminal activities.

The security officer is identified as Martins Adedeji Oni, and the termination of his appointment is with immediate effect.

READ ALSO: US Adds Nigeria To Blacklist On Religious Freedom – Pompeo

The Embassy made the announcement in a series of tweets on its official handle @NigeriaBerlin on Tuesday and noted that it has zero-tolerance towards all abuses of office.

Oni’s sack is coming one month after a viral video on social media showed him in a hotel room half-naked arguing with an unknown person who accused him of demanding sex from females who applied for passport renewals.

Nigerian Ambassador to Germany, Yusuf Tuggar in reaction to the viral video said that the embassy has “zero-tolerance policy towards abuse of office and especially of sexual misconduct.”

Ambassador Tuggar explained that investigation into the matter would be done with urgency and due diligence.

The Embassy in its update on Tuesday added that said the probe committee found Oni guilty of the allegations.

 

See the full statement of the Embassy below…

THE Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has terminated with immediate effect the contract of Mr Martins Adedeji Oni, a security officer at the mission. His dismissal follows an investigation into allegations of corruption and sexual misconduct.

Mr Oni was suspended from duty on 17 November after reports emerged that he had curried sexual favours in return for help with the renewal of a passport.

The Embassy immediately established an Investigation Committee to examine the allegations and any related issues, and to make recommendations for action.

The Committee interviewed Mr Oni and other witnesses as part of a thorough examination of these very serious charges. It concluded that Mr Oni was culpable and in violation of all the relevant codes.

As a result, Mr. Martins Adedeji Oni contract with the Embassy as a Local Staff has been terminated.

The Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria wishes to further stress its zero-tolerance policy towards all abuses of office, and especially of sexual misconduct.

The Embassy is grateful for the help of the public in tackling such abuses.

As public servants, we pledge to follow all due process as part of our continuing commitment to deliver the highest ethical & professional standards in all our operations, also at Consular & Immigration.

 

Nigerian Embassy Staff Quarters In Ghana Demolished

The staff quarters of the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana said to have been demolished by a businessman.

 

 

Some portion of the staff quarters of the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana has been demolished.

The demolition exercise was said to have been carried out late Friday, although the Nigerian government has yet to react to the incident.

A source at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs revealed that a businessman had claimed that the Nigerian High Commission’s staff quarters was being built on his land.

The man reportedly showed up last week with some pieces of evidence to support his claim and began to knock down the fence surrounding the building.

According to the source, the action of the man was not opposed while the Nigerian High Commission petitioned the Ghanaian Government about it, but there was no response.

Days later, he was said to have returned to the premises of the staff quarters and this time, with a bulldozer and began to pull down the building.

In a bid to stop the demolition, officials contacted the police who reportedly showed up at the site when the building was almost pulled down.

While the police allegedly allowed the man to leave the scene without reprimand or questioning, the Ghanaian authorities have yet to respond to the Nigerian High Commission about what happened.

PHOTOS: Buhari Meets Nigerians Resident In China

President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday held an interactive session with Nigerians resident in China.

The meeting was held at the Nigerian Embassy in Beijing, the capital city of China.

President Buhari also met with Nigerian students undergoing training on railway transportation in China.

Nigerian female football star, Asisat Oshoala, who currently plays professional football in China was also at the event.

Delegates with Buhari at the meeting include Ambassador of Nigeria to China Baba Ahmed Jidda; Minister of Transport, Rotimi Amaechi; Governors Rochas Okorocha of Imo State; Akinwumi Ambode of Lagos State; Mohammed Abubakar of Bauchi State; Badaru Abubakar of Jigawa State; Abdul’aziz Abubakar Yari of Zamfara State; Willie Obiano of Anambra State; Godwin Obaseki of Edo State and Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State.

See photos below…

Nigerian Embassy In Washington Shut Down

Nigerian Embassy In Washington Shut DownWorkers at the Nigerian Embassy in Washington have been on a sit-in, paralysing activities at the mission in the United States.

The workers said they have not been paid salaries for the past five months, forcing them to embark on the strike.

Although some departments of the embassy are said to still be functional, they threatened to report the embassy to the U.S. Labour Department.

There were no official functions at the embassy on Tuesday, as the workers only gathered at the lunch room in the basement.

The embassy in Washington and the consulate in New York are said to be currently cash strapped, with staff and local workers not being paid for months.

A source close to the Presidency said there has been a lot of mismanagement of resources in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, causing a lack of concern for staff welfare and difficulty in the missions being able to carry out their functions.

2016 Pilgrimage: Commission Set To Take 250 Medical Personnel Along

Resident Doctors, NARDThe Nigeria Christian Pilgrims Commission (NCPC) is set to take over 250 medical personnel for the October/November pilgrimage in Israel.

The commission is conducting examination to select those that would be part of the exercise.

Speaking at the Computer Centre of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) in Abuja, the Executive Secretary of the Commission, Mr Toh Uja, explained that the commission wants to ensure that those participating in the exercise are healthy before, during and after the pilgrimage.

Mr Uja added that the commission has already established a medical facility in the Nigerian Embassy in Tel Aviv, the capital of Israel.

The medical personnel include doctors, nurses and pharmacists.

162 Nigerians Return From Libya

Libya162 Nigerians stranded in Libya have voluntarily returned to the country.

The returnees comprising 132 males, 27 females and 3 children arrived the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos on Thursday aboard an airbus A320 aircraft.

Two of the returnees, who were in critical condition were immediately taken to hospital for medical attention.

According to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the return was facilitated by the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) in collaboration with the Swiss government and the Nigerian Embassy in Libya.

Saudi Crane Collapse: Buhari Orders Security Of Nigerian Pilgrims

Muhammadu BuhariPresident Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Nigerian Embassy in Saudi Arabia to take necessary actions to ensure the security and well-being of all Nigerian pilgrims in the Holy Land.

The directive follows the deadly crane collapse within the precinct of Mecca on Friday.

President Buhari equally commiserated with his Majesty, King Salman, the people of Saudi Arabia and the worldwide Islamic community over the tragic loss of lives.

He is also urging all Nigerians to pray for the continued safety of their compatriots who are currently in Saudi Arabia for this year’s Hajj.

Jonathan Launches New 64-Page E-Passport

jonathan-goodluck-Nigeria-PresidentPresident Goodluck Jonathan has urged the Nigerian Immigration officials to improve on their services to visitors and travellers at the airports, as they represent the first image of the country.

He said this at the lunch of the new 64-page e-passport at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, which held shortly before the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting.

President Goodluck Jonathan and his cabinet members had converged for the weekly council meeting, but they had to listen to the Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, and the Immigration officials on the cost implication and what the new 64 page passport is out to do.

He explained that the new 64-page e-passport is specially designed for frequent travellers as well as businessmen and has better conformity with international best practices.

While he acknowledged the idea as being novel, the President noted that uppermost in his mind was how to make Nigerians abroad get their passports with ease, and making the Immigration function effectively as they encounter visitors that come into the country.

“One thing one must know today is that it is not the issue of 64-page passport that is key to Nigerians but the security. If our passport could be easily faked by criminals, then we will have problems. One thing again is how Nigerians are able to get passports easily especially those living outside this country”, he said.

The President noted that if the immigration officers conduct themselves poorly, it reflects on the country, as their conduct at the airports are key and not just the passports.

“What affects every traveler is how efficient and committed our immigration officers work at our airports, visitors that come into the country have different impressions about our immigration officers, so they must improve. They are the image of this country, how they handle visitors matters so much, if they conduct themselves poorly, it reflects on all of us, so their conduct at the airports are key besides the passport”, he said.

The President also had a word for Nigerians and how they portray the country outside the shores. He urged Nigerians to paint respectful pictures of their country so that others would see it in the same light.

The President then proceeded to be the first citizen to get the e-passport followed by the Vice President, Namadi Sambo, as they got captured by the Immigration officials.

The e-passport takes off from August 1 and the President expressed optimism that collectively Nigerians can help to create a brighter image for the country, and save travellers the embarrassment they face while travelling abroad.

Nigeria’s Foreign Operations Have Helped Nigerians Abroad – Osunyikanmi

The Director General, Technical Aid Corps for Africa, The Pacifics and Caribbean, Dr. Pius Osunyikanmi has defended Nigeria’s commitment of financial and human resources to foreign aids all over the world.

This is in reaction to questions being raised about the relevance of Nigeria’s outpouring of generosity to the outside world despite attacks being suffered by Nigerians living abroad.

Besides, the country’s years of commitment to peacekeeping operations in many countries, Nigeria has had a long standing commitment in terms of its Technical Aid Corps scheme to Africa, the Pacifics and the Caribbean since 1987.

In this interview with Network Africa, Dr. Osunyikanmi stated that Nigeria’s role in the decolonization of many African countries, especially in the 1970s puts it in a position of responsibility for the sustenance of their sovereignty, hence its physical presence in many of their crisis situations.

Osunyikanmi who is also the immediate past Special Adviser to the President on International Affairs, while defending the country’s foreign policy added that focus should also be on the factors leading to some of the reported attacks on Nigerians abroad.

“We need to emphasize the fact that there are indeed good Nigerians, they are in abundance, but the few Nigerians that will not  do the right things in the right ways often provoke a number of these responses.”

According to him “if there had not been this scheme, if Nigeria had not been well integrated into the culture or system of those countries, of course this factor of xenophobic attacks would have been much more than (you) identified.”

In view of changing trends in International Relations globally, he also added that “there is no aspect of Nigeria’s Foreign Policy that is as relevant as the Technical Aid Corps, considering the fact that it is also within the ambit of the South-South Corporation.”

Issues that were raised in the interview bothered on the principles of economic reciprocity towards Nigeria’s gesture at a time when there seems to be contempt against its nationals abroad. Also with the level of poverty within the country and the resources put into foreign operations, there are questions over the justification for these foreign support operations.

Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerian Embassies Abroad Are Handicapped – Ukeje

Chairperson, House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Relations, Honourable Nnena Ukeje, has stressed that the security of lives and properties of Nigerians is guaranteed under the constitution of Nigeria.

Channels Television’s Network Africa met with Honourable Nnena Ukeje and she shared the country’s constant efforts at implementing the laws to protect Nigerians living abroad.

Since the recent killing of a Nigerian in India, there has been a lot of focus on the welfare of Nigerians living abroad. More worrisome for many has been the alleged reluctance of the Indian authorities to apprehend the perpetrators of the act.

Hon. Ukeje in this interview stated that Nigeria already has the right laws under the Nigerian Constitution to ensure that the lives and properties of Nigerians living in Nigeria are well protected. However, it is the responsibility of the Nigerian Missions abroad to enact these laws towards ensuring that Nigerians living around the world, do not get into danger and when they do, they can be well protected.

She however added that “we do not have the powers to investigate or to bring to book as it were, crimes in other countries, what we do is ensure that that happens. So the Nigerian embassies are a little handicapped.”

The perceived vulnerability of Nigeria’s peacekeeping missions to other countries, and its effects on Nigerians living in those countries and other countries also came under the spotlight.

Enjoy the interview.

Iraq, six other nations build embassies in Abuja

Seven countries, Egypt, Iraq, Kenya, Turkey, Benin Republic, Serbia and Cote d’Ivoire, have started building their permanent embassies at the Diplomatic Drive, a street allocated to them in Abuja.


The Iraqi Ambassador to Nigeria, Ali Al-Amery, says the new embassy would be completed by April next year. According to  Al-Amery, a local construction company is n charge of the project which would cost about three million dollars.
On the other hand, the Ambassador of Serbia, Mr Rifat Rondic, says their construction project which would end at 2014 is being handled by Energo company, a Serbian firm.
Some embassies – Ghana, China, the United States, Niger, Angola, Sudan, Ethiopia, Cuba and Liberia – are already operating from the Diplomatic Drive.  Others are Palestine, North Korea, Brazil, Sierra Leone and Burkina Faso.
Meanwhile, apart from the embassies, the Diplomatic Drive area also houses a government agency, a church and an automobile dealership and this has led to criticisms by security experts.
“If government has designated the area for the embassies, no other agency should be situated there; it is called Diplomatic Drive; I believe the aim is to have a number of the diplomatic offices in one location.
“This is not only for easy access, but also for security reasons,” Mr. Emmanuel Ekpu, a security expert, said.
The UN House, attacked by the Boko Haram sect in August 2011, is also located on the Diplomatic Drive.