One hundred and nine more Nigerians stranded in India as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic have returned to the country.
The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) announced this on Saturday via its Twitter handle.
It explained that the returnees were brought back to the country at about 7:40pm aboard an Air Peace aircraft.
According to NIDCOM, the airplane first touched down at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja where 35 evacuees disembarked and later conveyed the remaining 74 returnees to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.
Eighty six Nigerians on Friday arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, from Sudan.
The Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, disclosed this in a tweet where she said they arrived the country via Air Sudan.
According to the NIDCOM boss, the returnees will go on a 14-day isolation, in line with the guidelines set by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) as well as the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19.
The Nigerian government has called on its citizens to take responsibility in the fight against coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country.
In his remarks on Thursday at the briefing of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, Mr Boss Mustapha warned the people that the nation has yet to win the fight against the outbreak.
“One significant observation the PTF wishes to make is that the new rise in cases is to be expected as nations start to ease restrictions.
“We shall, however, proceed with caution and we shall not hesitate to change course when the need arises,” said Mustapha who is the PTF Chairman and Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF).
He added, “What this means is that Nigerians should never mistake the relaxation by government as a signal that the COVID-19 battle had been concluded.”
The PTF chairman revealed that the government has joined the world in emphasising that the best way to manage the pandemic was the comprehensive approach.
He stressed the need for the people to play their parts by observing physical distancing, keeping personal hygiene, wearing face masks, avoiding large gatherings, and staying at home when not necessary to go out.
According to the SGF, the PTF and collaborating agencies will continue to work on finding, isolating, testing, tracing contacts, communicating, and treating for COIVD-19.
He gave an assurance that the health workers would be equipped and trained while communities would be empowered to protect themselves.
Mustapha thanked Nigerians for their patience and understanding and urge them to strictly abide with the COVID-19 protocols, especially regarding the gradual resumption of domestic flights.
He said, “Following the announcement of the extension of phase two and some new measures on Monday, the Aviation sector has announced 8th, 11th and 15th of July as dates for the gradual resumption of domestic flights.
“In the aviation industry, safety and security are paramount and there is only one global aviation standard.”
Authorities of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) have warned jobseekers to be mindful of fraudsters while seeking to be enlisted into the service.
The Service Public Relations Officer, James Sunday, gave the warning in a statement on Tuesday while reacting to reports that the NIS was recruiting.
“The attention of the Comptroller General of Nigeria Immigration Service Muhammad Babandede MFR has been drawn to a fake NIS recruitment scam site and link posted on social media by fraudsters with the intention of defrauding innocent and unsuspecting Nigerians of monies.
“The Service had warned severally and is still warning good spirited Nigerians to avoid such fake recruitment offer which is not officially posted on the official NIS website,” he said.
According to Sunday, no fee is charged for NIS recruitment and jobseekers should avoid falling victims to criminal elements.
He stressed that the NIS would always publish and announce its official recruitment and notifications through credible dailies and media platforms.
The Nigerian government has evacuated 317 more citizens stranded in the United Kingdom as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) announced the arrival of the returnees, including nine infants on Sunday via its Twitter handle.
It explained that the Air Peace flight conveying the Nigerians touched down at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja at about 9:50pm.
NIDCOM noted that the plane had departed the Heathrow Airport in London earlier after some delay before take-off.
It revealed that 175 of the evacuees would disembark in Abuja and the remaining 142 people would proceed to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.
According to the agency, all the returnees tested negative to COVID-19 and will proceed on 14 days self-isolation as mandated by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), the Federal Ministry of Health, and the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.
See the tweets from NIDCOM below:
175 passengers will disembark in Abuja while 142 will proceed to Murtala Muhammed Int’l Airport, Lagos.
According to the statement, prospective evacuees will undergo the necessary guidelines issued by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.
One of such measures is that “all prospective evacuees must present an original COVID-19 negative test result not older than 14 days at the airport of departure and undergo a temperature check four hours before departure.
“Any intending evacuees without the stipulated test result, or body temperature above 38 degrees centigrade, or any symptoms suggestive of COVID-19, will not be allowed to check-in.”
Similarly, the citizens were advised to be in possession of a hand sanitiser throughout the journey, while wearing their face masks.
Nearly 40 Nigerians living in the diaspora have died as a result of complications from COVID-19, the Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said on Friday.
Dabiri-Erewa disclosed this on Channels Television’s special COVID-19 programme while explaining some of the efforts of government regarding the welfare of Nigerians outside the country.
According to her, the government is in touch with Nigerians in diaspora in various parts of the world even as efforts are on to the evacuate them.
Meanwhile, she also noted that “Nigerians in the diaspora are coming together to raise funds to help frontline workers in Nigeria and very soon, this initiative by the Nigerians in the diaspora will be presented to the PTF”.
As for evacuations, the NIDCOM boss said about 18 more Nigerians are expected to return from France over the weekend.
“As I speak to you, we are expecting about 18 from France and the France case is a chartered plane arranged by the mission and that will be the first time; apart from those from Lebanon (who supported us), where they’ll actually be coming in without paying anything so thanks to our ambassador in France, about 18 passengers from Europe, some from the Netherlands, Germany, Spain got together and they’ll be coming in today without actually paying anything and that I think is most commendable on her part”.
When asked about the recent attack by Nigerians on the Nigerian embassy in Indonesia, and if she had gotten fillers prior to the incident on the treatment of Nigerians in the Asian country, Dabiri-Erewa responded saying: “no, none at all and that’s why that video was a surprise”.
According to her, perhaps there had been complaints but they were only being channelled to the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
“Maybe they’ve had issues with the mission and were talking to the minister, I don’t know, but all I know is, in Indonesia, we have quite a number of people in prison for drugs”.
For the NIDCOM boss, the only issue that she was aware of was the negotiations for persons ( Nigerians) caught in drug-related offences not to be given capital punishment, as stipulated by the Indonesian government.
“In Indonesia, the penalty for drugs is death. So that’s the case we are dealing with…appealing to them not to kill them but they said that is their law but (asides that) there hasn’t been any particular contact with the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission about problems in Indonesia.
Dabiri-Erewa, however, noted that regardless of the issues on the ground, Nigerians destroying property in Indonesia isn’t justified.
The Federal Government has continued to evacuate Nigerians trapped in countries around the world as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
This comes as a new set of 269 stranded Nigerians arrived in the country from India in the early hours of Saturday.
The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) announced the arrival of the returnees on its Twitter handle.
According to the agency, 103 of the evacuees arrived in Lagos and 166 others landed in Abuja at about 2am, after a few hours of delay.
Following their arrival, the returnees were subjected to compulsory 14 days self-isolation, in line with the protocol by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.
The NIDCOM stated that all the evacuees tested negative before boarding the plane and would be re-tested within 72 hours at a designated testing centre of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
They were brought back to Nigeria from India aboard an Air Peace plane which first landed at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja before proceeding to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.
In another tweet, the NIDCOM Chairman, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, welcomed the returnees back to the country.
We welcome them home . Just spoken to one of them who is in very high spirits. They must present themselves for an @NCDCgov Covid 19 test , 14 day compulsory isolation before their passports are released to them, according to the new guidelines @DigiCommsNGhttps://t.co/Kjc0jCArFe
Operatives of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) have arrested 14 Togolese nationals and 10 Nigerians at Ajilete and Ilase border posts in Ogun State.
The Service Public Relations Officer, Sunday James, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday.
According to him, the Togolese nationals who are all females comprise eight adults and six minors.
James explained that they were arrested in a J5 bus at Ajilete and the other 10 Nigerians were apprehended at Ilase for defying the government’s directive on the closure of land borders.
He added that five of the Nigerians were victims of human trafficking and would be handed over to the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP).
The NIS spokesman said the arrested persons were profiled by the Comptroller of the Ogun State Command, Kunle Osisanya, after health officials subjected them to COVID-19 tests in line with the medical procedures of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
In his reaction, the Comptroller General of NIS, Muhammad Babandede, commended the officers for the success and asked them to up the tempo of their patrol.
He noted that some of the arrests were along illegal points created by the smugglers in the area.