Nigerian Navy To Mount Choke Points On Niger Delta Creeks

Nigerian Navy, Niger Delta Creeks, Choke PointsNigerian Navy says plans are underway to completely get rid of about 40 creeks in the Niger Delta region before the second quarter of 2017.

The creeks have been identified by the Navy to be navigable and used for criminal elements in Nigeria’s south-south region.

Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, disclosed this on Thursday during an assessment of facility at the Eastern Naval Command in Calabar, the Cross River State capital.

He expressed satisfaction with the level of steadfastness of officers of the command.

Vice Admiral Ibas further revealed that the government, in the shortest possible time, plans to man houseboats on the waters to check the activities of criminals.

He listed the Calabar River as one of the rivers identified for choke points, owing to the importance the water holds in the Gulf of Guinea.

The Navy boss assured passengers of their safety on the waters, saying the river would soon be completely taken over by the Navy.

He also warned unrepentant criminals to stay away from the waterways, stressing that the Nigerian Navy is ready to hunt them down.

According to the Navy, there are about 6,000 creeks in the entire Niger Delta region.

EFCC Clamps Down On Former Governors, Politicians In South-South Nigeria

EFCC, NigeriaThe Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Nigeria’s south-south zone has begun investigating some individuals in the area, including former governors.

The anti-graft agency says they are being investigated in matters of fraud and money laundering.

The South-south Zonal Head of the EFCC, Ishaq Salihu, made the disclosure to journalists on Wednesday in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.

He said those found wanting after the investigation would be charged appropriately.

Mr Salihu revealed that at least 50% of the one billion Naira recovered so far in the last 10 months was from politicians.

He added that among those that have been nabbed was an internet fraudster who defrauded Europeans and Americans, posing as the former Chairman of the agency, Ibrahim Larmode.

The EFCC zonal head also informed reporters of the case of a school certificate holder who had practiced for years as a senior lawyer.

Non-evacuation Of Refuse In Asaba Increases Resident’s Worries

Asaba Residents on RefuseResidents of Asaba have expressed displeasure with the non-evacuation of refuse on the median strips on some major roads in the capital city of Delta State.

The residents claimed that the activity has led to the re-appearance of bags of refuse in Asaba in Nigeria’s South-south region.

They said that in the recent times, the indiscriminate dumping of refuse around the nukes and crannies of the capital city had been on the increase, as some people were even spotted in the act.

Residents fear their health is in danger, as the stench from the refuse is becoming unbearable.

In his reaction, the Chairman of Oshimili South Local Government Council, Mr Chucks Obusom, explained the causes of the ugly trend and frowned at the perpetrators of the act.

He said that the government was aware of such ugly act and assured the residents that they would effect and enforce laws that would control and prevent people from dumping refuse on the streets and main roads.

In his contribution, a Gynaecology consultant at the Federal Medical Centre in Asaba, Dr. Babatunde Oyefara, highlighted the dangers of the act.

He said the hazards could not be overemphasised, as he stated that some of the effects on the health of an average person residing in the capital city and its environs.

This is happening at a period that some states in Nigeria are converting waste to wealth to keep the city clean and increase Internally Generated Revenue.

Lagos State had few years ago established an agency, Lagos Waste Management Agency (LAWMA), in charge of refuse removal and onward conversion of such wastes to other materials through recycling processes.

APC Chieftain Commends Buhari For Niger Delta Development

Buhari, Niger Delta, APCPresident Muhammadu Buhari has been commended for the spate of development ongoing in Nigeria’s South-south region.

A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Edet Umo, believes the gesture is the right step towards the development of the nation.

Mr Umo gave the commendation on Thursday in Calabar, the Cross River State capital when he received some APC stalwarts from Odukpani Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.

He said the region was happy with the plans mapped out by the Buhari-led administration in the area of railway and road construction, aimed at curtailing youth restiveness and opening up more development for the Niger Delta people.

The APC chieftain noted that once there was visible development in any society, crime rate would be minimal as development tends to open doors of opportunities to engage the people.

Speaking on the development of the Odukpani Calabar-Itu road, he expressed hope that food would be easily transported, especially as Odukpani LGA was the main supplier of food within Nigeria’s Southsouth and southeast region.

Stop Hiding Under Regional Agitation To Commit Crimes, Military Warns Militants

Military, Militants, Niger DeltaThe Nigerian military has warned the various militant groups in the Niger Delta region against hiding under regional agitation to commit all manners of crimes and atrocities.

The Defence Headquarters gave the caution on Tuesday in a statement to alert the general public of the disturbing spate of crimes allegedly committed by the groups.

They pointed out the latest of the groups, the Niger Delta Greenland Justice Mandate (NDGJM), claimed responsibility for blowing up an oil pipeline belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation few days ago in south-south Nigeria.

The same group, according to the military, has come out again, demanding that residents living near oil and gas infrastructure should vacate their homes to avoid being caught in its next attacks.

Olive Branch To Broker Peace

The Defence Headquarters stated in clear terms, “that no group or individual has the right to threaten or force residents in any part of Nigeria, to abandon their homes in obeisance to certain group’s selfish and devilish interest.

“It is more worrisome that despite the Federal Government’s olive branch to broker peace and proffer solution to the lingering Niger Delta problem, some groups are still fanning the ember of war.

“The military and other security agencies would remain focused, un-intimidated and will display professionalism in ensuring adequate security to lives and property”.

Enhancing Civil-Military Relationship

While the military respects the government’s negotiation with relevant stakeholders in the Niger Delta, they explained that their exercise and operations in the area were not targeted at any group or meant to make life difficult for the inhabitants.

“The ongoing exercise is geared towards enhancing civil-military relationship and building the confidence of the resident on the ability of the military to protect them.

“The exercise also demonstrates the strength of the troops to purge the region of criminals and economic saboteurs.

“The Armed Forces would not tolerate any form of criminality in that region,” the statement read.

The military and other security agencies also reaffirmed their total commitment to ensuring security of lives and property, not only in the Niger Delta, but across Nigeria.

They solicited the cooperation of all the stakeholders, including the royal fathers, leaders and youths to achieve the feat.

The Defence Headquarters also urged the public, especially those residing in Niger Delta, to discountenance the threat, asking innocent citizens and residents to go about their legitimate businesses.

New Militant Group Asks Residents To Vacate Area It Plans To Attack

Niger-Delta-militantsA new militant group in Nigeria’s south-south, that calls itself the ‘Niger Delta Greenland Justice Mandate’ has asked residents living near oil and gas infrastructure to vacate their homes to avoid being caught in its next attacks.

The Defence Headquarters in a statement on Tuesday said that the group had few days ago claimed responsibility for an attack on an oil pipeline of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).

“The same group has come out again, demanding residents living near oil and gas infrastructure to vacate their homes to avoid being caught in its next attacks,” the statement read.

Ensuring Adequate Security

It further said that the spate of how various militant groups were springing up in Niger Delta, was disturbing, warning them to stop fanning the ember of war.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to state, in clear term, that no group or individual has the right to threaten or force residents in any part of Nigeria to abandon their homes in obeisance to certain group’s selfish and devilish interest.

“It is more worrisome that despite the Federal Government’s olive branch to broker peace and proffer solution to the lingering Niger Delta problem, some groups are still fanning the ember of war.

“The military and other security agencies would remain focused, un-intimidated and will display professionalism in ensuring adequate security to lives and property,” the statement by the spokesman for the defence Headquarters, Rabe Abubakar, read.

The military further pointed out that it respects the Government’s negotiation with relevant stakeholders in the Niger Delta and that the military exercise and operations in the area are not targeted at any group or meant to make life difficult for the inhabitants.

“The ongoing exercise is geared towards enhancing civil-military relationship and building the confidence of the resident on the ability of the military to protect them.

“The exercise also demonstrates the strength of the troops to purge the region of criminals and economic saboteurs.

“The Armed Forces would not tolerate any form of criminality in that region,” armed forces said.

It also reiterated the commitment of the military and other security agencies to ensuring security of lives and property, not only in the Niger Delta, but throughout the federation.

The Nigerian Armed Forces further solicited the cooperation of all the stakeholders, including the royal fathers, leaders and youths to bring back peace in the region.

It urged residents of the Niger Delta region that the militants had asked to leave to discountenance the threat and also requested that innocent citizens and those in the area to go about their legitimate businesses.

The military had established different operations in the region to counter militants activities that have affected the nation’s crude oil output.

Officials of two military operations launched in the region, Operation Delta Safe and Exercise Crocodile Smile, are currently in the region, making efforts to end attacks on oil installations.

The military operation, however, suffered a major setback  yesterday when a boat carrying some officials capsized, leaving some officials dead.

Adaka Boro Avengers Oppose Arms Mop Up To End Niger Delta Crisis

Adaka Boro Avengers, Niger Delta, MilitantsMembers of the Adaka Boro Avengers say arms mop up exercise in the Niger Delta without dialogue with the militants will not bring lasting peace in the region.

The spokesman for the group, Edmos Ayayeibo, said in a statement that the militant groups in Nigeria’s south-south region have laid down their arms.

He added that the militants are also prepared to dialogue with the Federal Government, to end the crisis in the region.

Ayayeibo described as insincere, the plans by the military to move into camps to dislodge the militants after they had laid down their arms.

Elder statesman, Chief Edwin Clark, has been nominated by the militants as one of those to represent them on the negotiating table with the government.

President Muhammadu Buhari had disclosed that the Federal Government is also open to dialogue to resolve all contending issues in the Niger Delta region.

He, however, said the government does not believe the militants have announced a ceasefire, saying the government was yet to identify their leaders.

“We do not believe that they (the militants) have announced ceasefire. We are trying to understand them more.

“Who are their leaders and which areas do they operate and other relevant issues,” he asked in Kenya.

Ijaw Leaders Promise To Resolve Militancy Crisis In 30 Days

Ijaw group on Niger Delta MilitantsThe President of the Ijaw National Congress (INC), Mr Charles Harry, says the organisation is capable of resolving the challenges of militancy in the Niger Delta region within 30 days if the Federal Government ceases hostilities in the region.

Mr Harry warned against the use of military force in the region, saying that the area had lost a lot of youths to violence.

He added that the Federal Government also have a role to play for enduring peace to reign in the region.

The Ijaw President appealed to the government to take steps to redress the challenges of underdevelopment in the Nigeria’s south-south region.

Herdsmen: Stan-Labo Proposes Technology To Tighten Porous Borders

hassan-stan-labo-borders-herdsmenA retired Army officer, Colonel Hassan Stan-Labo, has advised the Federal Government to improve the security condition of Nigerian borders through technology.

Stan-Labo made the recommendation on Monday as one of the ways to solve the lingering herdsmen crisis in the country.

“I know we cannot man the borders but I think with technology, we can to an extent, police our borders effectively to such a point that if some of these herdsmen are crossing, air surveillance department can immediately move in,” he said on Sunrise Daily.

The retired military officer asked the Minister of Interior to step up approaches towards improving the borders’ condition, so as to prevent illegal immigration into the country.

He also expressed shock at the Niger Delta Avengers’ refusal to dialogue with the government over the attacks on oil installations in Nigeria’s south-south.

“We heard this talk of ‘we are not going to be part of the talks’. I was thinking this is an opportunity for you (the militants) to come lay your grievances on the table and talk face to face with government over what your problems are.

“What else do they want us to do, what else do they want Nigeria to do?” Stan-Labo asked.

Nigeria To Leave For Burkina Faso On Thursday

super eagles- oliseh-nigeriaNigeria’s home-based Super Eagles will leave for Burkina Faso on Thursday for the return leg of the 2016 African Nations Championship qualifier.

The Nigerian side will be heading to the fixture with a two nil advantage, and the overall winner will qualify for 2016 CHAN in Rwanda.

A squad of 18 players from the 23 in the training camp will be named for the trip to Ouagadougou.

Meanwhile, Coach Sunday Oliseh will not release any home-based Eagles player in camp for the midweek rescheduled week 34 of the Nigeria Professional Football League matches.

Nigeria Defeated Burkina Faso 2-0 in the first leg match which was played in Port Harcourt, Rivers State capital, in Nigeria’s south south.