Niger Republic Citizen Arrested In Zamfara For Supplying Arms

Musa Abubakar, the Nigerien citizen arrested by soldiers in Zamfara State.

 

The Nigerian Army says troops of Operation Sahel Sanity have arrested a Nigerien national, Musa Abubakar, suspected to be a gun supplier in Zamfara State.

In a statement on Tuesday, the Army Acting Director of Defence Media Operations, Brigadier General Benard Onyeuko, said Abubakar, who is also known as Kasko/Buzu, hails from Mai Wake village in Dakoro area of Maradi, Niger Republic.

He was said to have been arrested last week Wednesday on the premises of a school in Gusau, the Zamfara State capital where his relative works as a security guard.

“The suspect is believed to be involved in the supply of illicit arms from the Niger Republic to Nigeria through Sabon Birni and Isa LGAs of Sokoto State.

“The suspect is in custody and providing useful information to the troops,” the army spokesperson said.

He revealed that troops also conducted a cordon and search operation on Saturday at Gurbin Baure in Katsina-Zamfara axis where two suspected bandits were killed and three others captured.

Onyeuko added that they rescued four persons kidnapped in Sabuwa Local Government Area of Katsina State on Saturday.

This photo released by the Nigerian Army shows the four kidnapped victims rescued by soldiers.

 

In his reaction, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, commended the troops for their excellent performance and urged them not to rest on their oars but build on the successes achieved so far.

He also assured the people living in the north-west region of the Nigerian Army’s commitment to securing their lives and property.

The Nigerian Army had flagged off ‘Exercise Sahel Sanity’ on July 6, 2020, to mitigate the current spate of banditry, kidnapping, cattle rustling, and other related crimes in Katsina, Zamfara, Sokoto, Kaduna and Niger States.

Launched in Faskari, one of the frontline LGAs of Katsina State, the exercise aimed at restoring peace in the regions is expected to metamorphose into real-time operation.

Buratai had explained during the official flag-off of the exercise that it was carefully designed to flush out armed bandits, terrorist groups, and other criminal elements hibernating in the forests of Dumburum, Gando, Subobo and Kagara in the affected states.

He noted that the exercise, scheduled to run from July 6 to September 6, was part of the army’s response to the escalating security challenges in parts of the north-west and north-central geopolitical zones.

Ogun: Man Beheads Two Year Old Boy After Raping Mother

Police dispatchThe Ogun State Police Command has arrested a middle age man, ‎Mahmodu Bashir, a Nigerien for beheading a two year old boy in Owode Egba area of Ogun State, South West Nigeria.

The suspect allegedly committed the crime after having a carnal knowledge of the mother of the boy, when she was easing herself in a nearby bush in Ofada town, Obafemi-Owode Local government of the state.

Eyewitness account revealed  that the suspect pounced on her with a baby tied to her back and dragged them into an uncompleted building, where he raped the woman, stabbed her and killed the boy before he severed his head.

It was gathered that someone suspected his movement, trailed him to the building but escaped and was able to rescue the woman with the headless body of the boy.

When he was arrested, the suspect led men from the Criminal Investigation Department of the State Police Command to the scene, to locate the head but was to no avail. The knife with which he perpetrated the act was only discovered at the scene.

Confirming the incident on phone, the Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Muyiwa Adejobi, said that the suspect was arrested through the help of some community leader as he had fled the area to Ibafo, immediately he committed the crime.‎

Adejobi added that further investigation has  revealed that the suspect had sold the head of the boy to a woman in Ibadan, adding that the detectives from the State Police Command was on the trial of the buyer and that, ‎the command has commenced a discrete investigation on the matter.‎

Speaking with Newsmen at the scene of the crime which was stained with blood, the suspect confirmed to have raped the woman, killed her son and severed his head which he had thrown away into the bush.‎

The remains of the boy has, however, been buried while the mother has been responding to treatment at a hospital.