Voting is taking place in five countries in Africa which are Benin, Congo-Brazzaville, Niger, Senegal and Zanzibar, in Tanzania.
Nigeriens are voting in a presidential run-off, in which the main challenger, former Prime Minister and parliamentary speaker Hama Amadou, is still in France receiving medical attention, as President Muhammadou Issoufou, hopes to win another term.
Presidential elections are taking place in Congo, Benin, and Zanzibar, where electoral violence marred the presidential elections the last time.
Senegal is voting on presidential term limits that would cut the number of years from Seven to Five for the president, and not allow him to run for more than two consecutive terms in office.
Bola Bakare of the Truth Be Told Initiative believes that the problem of insurgency facing Nigeria was caused by Nigeria’s negligence of its real problems over the years.
Speaking about the security situation in the country on the Friday edition of Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, he said, “holistically we’ve been carefree and careless”.
He stated that the terrorists have a systemic grouse against Nigeria going by the way they have attacked all categories of people from politics to religion, to the monarchs and military, with the Nigerian authorities failing to respond properly over the years.
He explained that the only way to find a solution to the problems was to identify the challenges the country has, which his organization has been able to do with accompanying recommendations.
Bakare advised that it was a matter of high importance for Nigeria to identify all Malians, Chadians, and Nigeriens who are not regularized and extradite them within 90 days. He believed that this would make their movement across the country’s porous borders stiffer, since all Nigerians would be conscious of their illegality.
He also recommended a system similar to an amnesty, in which the terrorists would be offered an olive branch; especially the foot soldiers that he referred to as “soft ones” whose motivation were most likely money due to their states of poverty.
He asked that they should be offered money in exchange for the arms and ammunition they have been given, with which they perpetrate evil against the Nigerian people.
He made reference to the recent parade of perpetrators of the Nyanya Park bombing in Abuja. He emphasized how hungry looking the men paraded were and noted that he was not surprised that they were abandoned by the kingpins.
Mr Bakare also had tough words for the Nigerian military, “they have disappointed us”, he said; this was regarding the abduction of schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State.
He berated them for “lying” to Nigerians. “It is an insult to the Military, it is an insult to Nigerians” that some of the girls escaped on their own and the military “inflated the number” and told Nigerians that they had freed them.
The Kano command of the Nigeria Immigration Service has begun the repatriation of illegal immigrants arrested in the state.
In an interview with Channels Television, the Comptroller-Immigration Service in Kano, Hashimu Maishanu says so far about 551 Nigeriens were repatriated.
Early this month, the Nigeria Immigration Service began a mop up exercise during which 667 illegal immigrants were arrested in many locations within Kano state.
Mr Maishanu stated that from the exercise, a total number of 485 Nigeriens males and 16 females were repatriated back home while 37 others including 9 Chadians and three Cameroonian females are currently waiting for repatriation.
Meanwhile, 117 Nigeriens arrested during the exercise were released after screening.
Although there was no any evidence of illegal activities by the immigrants, some of them told Channels Television that they are ready to obtain necessary documents before returning to Nigeria.
As the exercise continues, the idea according to Nigeria Immigration Service is to ensure internal security in Nigeria and that the exercise will not only be limited to ECOWAS member countries alone.
A key terrorist suspect, who specialises in recruiting personnel into terror cells, has been arrested by troops in Maiduguri following a tip off.
In a press release signed by the defence spokesman, Brigadier General Christopher Olukolade, the individual is also the person that watches over the insurgents’ armoury.
He further stated that another group of five insurgents, all Nigeriens were arrested when troops stormed their hideout at Mallam Fatori as they attempted to escape in two Toyota Cruiser Jeeps.
He said the Troops continue to patrol the notorious Sambisa forest and are also cordoning the Alou forest and Gwoza Hills finding more abandoned vehicles, weapons and other items in the camps of the insurgents.
Among the recent finds are rifles, double barrel guns, various charms and amulets, machine guns as well as pairs of camouflage uniforms, bows and quiver and assorted rifle magazine.
Others are handset, walkie-talkie, car number plates and some food items.
Nigeria’s U-17 team, the Golden Eaglets has qualified for the next round of the U-17 African championship after beating Niger team the Junior Mena on a 10-1 aggregate in second leg which saw the Eaglets wallop the Nigeriens 6-0 on Saturday.
Nduka Ugbade, the Assistant coach of the Under 17 team could not hide his happiness on the performance of his team.
Ifeanyi Matthew, Izu Omego, Musa Mohammed, Musa Yahaya scored a goal each as Isaac Success terrorised Niger’s Junior Mena every time the Eaglets go forward during Saturday’s game at the UJ Esuene Stadium in Calabar.
The next opponent of the Nigerian team is Guinea and the Golden Eaglets will be playing hosts to the first leg on the weekend of October 12, 13 and 14 and the return leg will hold on October 26, 27 and 28 in Conakry, Guinea.
The first leg game of the Under17 African championship qualifying was played in Niamey where Eaglets triumphed with a 4-1 score line.
No fewer than 65 Boko Haram suspects were arrested in Kaduna on Wednesday and Thursday when soldiers from the Nigerian Army raided the area.
33 of the suspects were arrested on Wednesday at the Barnawa Complex of the city while 32 others were picked up on Thursday in different parts of Kaduna metropolis.
A local newspaper learnt that 19 Nigeriens, a vendor and a fried meat (suya) seller were amongst those arrested.
However, residents have faulted the arrest, claiming the people arrested are not Boko Haram members. A petty trader, Babangida, said “The soldiers just came to our area without any excuse… started molesting people who were doing their lawful business and others who come here regularly to buy Suya and other foods.”
Also,the District Head (Hakimi) of Barnawa, Kaduna, Alhaji Kabiru Zubairu, decried the claim of the soldiers,saying “I am telling you categorically that my people are law abiding citizens and I can vouch for them that they are innocent of the allegations levelled against them.”
The suspects are currently being detained in separate guardrooms in a military facility in Kaduna, for interrogation to establish which of them are Boko Haram members.