JAMB May Not Conduct Examination In Troubled Northern States – Registrar

The Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) may not hold in troubled Northern states on Saturday, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board said on Wednesday.

Addressing Journalists in Abuja, the Registrar/Chief Exec utive of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Dibu Ojerinde, said the board “may not hesitate to stop the examination” if there is any security problem”.

He said, “Yesterday it was a big discussion among some agents as well as JAMB. We believe that things will be alright. Faith, you see, we have the belief that we will surmount the problem.

“If however, there is any problem, we may not hesitate to stop the examination in those areas to the extent that we will now give the children a chance of doing the examination on CBT only.

“If you miss PPT in a challenging area that you cannot do the examination; then you will have to do the next one and that will have to be as from 18th of May.

“With God, we shall not experience any problem. We have put everything humanly possible in place and we have put this before almighty God and we believe He is not going to sleep on that day. But if there is a need for postponement in those places, we shall not hesitate”, he added.

Mr Ojerinde revealed that the Board had concluded arrangements for its first Computer Based Test in 70 centres across the nation from May 18 to June 1.

This is an alternative to the Dual Based Test and Paper Pencil Test scheduled for this Saturday.

He, however, added that the CBT candidates still have the option to take Dual Based Test or Paper Pencil Test on Saturday.

The Board advised CBT candidates to go online to reprint their e-slip form as “inevitable amendments had been made on the time-table for the CBT examination”.

Of the 1,735,720 registered for this year’s examination, 1,629,102 candidates applied for PPT; 15,008 for DBT and 91,610 for CBT. The total figure represents 13.35 percent increase from last year.

No fewer than 145 visually impaired candidates and 196 inmates from Kaduna and Lagos prisons also registered for the examination.

The examination will hold simultaneously in 3,168 centres in 378 towns in Nigeria and six foreign centres of Accra (Ghana), Buea in Cameroon, Cotonou in Republic of Benin, London, Jeddah in Saudi Arabia and Johannesburg in South Africa.

Mr Ojerinde disclosed that candidates have the opportunity to change their choices of institutions and courses once only within two weeks after releasing the results.

He also warned that the officials caught in examination malpractices will be prosecuted.

“I want to sound a note of warning once more that those trying to compromise our well organised arrangement shall be made to face the full wrath of the law.

“The Board is hereby appealing to all candidates to strictly adhere to all laid -down rules by conducting themselves properly during the examination.”

JTF Recovers Arms And Ammunitions In Yobe State, Kills One

The Joint Task Force (JTF) in Yobe state said one suspected member of the dreaded Boko Haram sect has been killed in a gun battle in the state.

In a statement made available to news men in Damaturu; the state capital, its Spokesman Lieutenant Eli Lazarus reveals that the killing followed an encounter between the JTF who were on patrol around the Gujba Area of the state and members of the Boko Haram.

Other members of the Islamic group according to the statement, escaped with various gunshot wounds during the encounter after abandoning their vehicle.

Items recovered from the suspects include five AK 47 rifles, two hundred and eleven rounds of ammunition and ten Magazines.

Other items include one Mitsubishi Canter truck, two motorcycles and Improvised Explosives Devices (IEDs) materials, medical supplies as well as Police Uniforms.

The statement adds that JTF will continue to work assiduously towards the restoration of permanent peace in the state.

Supreme Court confused as two lawyers represent Federal Government

Confusion over who was briefed by the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Mohammed Bello Adoke, to defend the federal government against the suit filed by 16 northern states for the payment of N7 billion as outstanding value of the assets of the defunct northern states marketing board stalled hearing of the case at the Supreme Court, as two senior advocates of Nigeria, Damien Dodo and Ade Okeaya-Ineh were both in court to represent the AGF.

The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Dahiru Musdapher who could not understand why the AGF would brief two lawyers for the same case was forced to adjourn the case to April 26 to allow the two senior counsel to sort out the confusion over representation.

In his address to the court Mr Dodo said that he was the first to be briefed but that he would try to accommodate Mr Okeaya-Ineh.

Not satisfied with the explanation, Justice Musdapher who was not satisfied with the explanation consulted other members of the panel of judges and then decided to adjourn the case to next month with a firm instruction to the lawyers to sort out who between the two of them would represent the federal government.

16 of the northern region’s 19 states are in the Supreme Court to compel the federal government to pay them N7 billion as outstanding values of the assets of the defunct Northern States Marketing Board (NSMB).

The board was taken over by the federal government in 1977 from the then north-western, north-central, Kano, north-eastern and central-western states.

The states as presently constituted consist of Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara.

In the suit before the Supreme Court, the 16 states said in 1977, the then federal military government forcefully took over the assets of NSMB by virtue of decree no. 29 of 1977 without paying for its total value.