Ceasefire Agreement: Gbadebo-Smith Urges Nigerians To Stop Negative Speculation

Gbadebo_SmithA member of the Professionals for Change, Mr Siju Gbadebo-Smith, has called on Nigerians to stop negative speculation about the outcome of the ceasefire agreement reached by the Federal Government and the dreaded Boko Haram sect.

Speaking as a guest on Channels Television’s award winning breakfast show, Sunrise Daily, he also said “it s very important for the Nigerian public to appreciate the delicate nature of negotiating ceasefires and release of hostages.

“It also imperative of us not to speculate negatively about the the outcomes because it is a notorious fact that when you are dealing with a symmetrical warfare, you can never confirm categorically a ceasefire”, he said.

He further called on Nigerians to anticipate that the parties involved will honour the agreement reached during negotiations, adding that “it is the interest of Nigerians’ psyche to believe the military has the leadership qualities and information on hand to pursue this matter to a conclusion that we will appreciate”.

He however noted that the historical background of ceasefires with terrorists does not have a positive coloration, citing the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda where “a very comprehensive ceasefire agreement was negotiated but the Lord’s Resistance Army merely used the time to recoup and become even more violent than their reactions” adding that “i believe it is for this reason that we are cautiously optimistic.

“We cannot go on with the concept that it will work out perfectly”, he warned, maintaining that “we are dealing with an asymmetrical opponent and we are not even sure how many factions they have”.

He also urged commentators to continue to give Nigerians hope because it is fundamental to make Nigerians “believe that we are going to win regardless of how long it takes.

“In that strong concept of hope, people will be assured that everything possible is going to be done including negotiating for a peaceful outcome”, he opined, adding that the “confidence is in the psyche of the Nigerian to overcome even insurmountable obstacles”.

Mr Gbadebo-Smith didn’t rule out the possibility of a splinter group within the ranks of Boko Haram “because with the nature of an asymmetrical war, you don’t have an identifiable foe; that is the purpose of the enemy to ensure you cannot perfectly target one of their groups.

“In order to destabilise your efforts, they will consistently project several fronts”, he maintained.

Reacting to reported cases of attacks in villages in Adamawa and Borno State hours after the ceasefire agreement was reached, he noted that “the system that an asymmetrical warfare opponent uses is to continue to have several fronts”.

The Federal Government of Nigeria, last week Friday, said it reached a ceasefire agreement with the Boko Haram sect.

After the agreement was reached, the Chief of Defence Staff, Alex Badeh, ordered all service chiefs to comply with the ceasefire agreement between Nigeria and Boko Haram in all theaters of operations.

The announcement came at the end of a meeting between the Nigerian and Cameroonian armed forces where both sides decided on collaboration in communication, intelligence sharing, tactical partnerships and handling of internally displaced.

Lagos PDP Re-Affirms Support For Jonathan’s Re-election Bid

JonathanThe Lagos State Chapter of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has denied knowledge of one Adejumo Mansour Agbaje as a leader of the Party in the State. This was contained in a statement released by its publicity secretary, Mr Taofik Gani, on Sunday.

Mr Gani warned that “Adejumo Mansour Agbaje does not represent the interest of its members in the state”, insisting  that “such a person is definitely on a frolic of his own probably to gain media attention or for pecuniary interest.

“Such a person is a mole in the PDP who should henceforth desist from attempts to embarrass the Party.

The state chapter of PDP further noted that “while it appreciates the right of any Nigerian to aspire for any office in the land”, adding that “the President is eligible to seek re-election under our Constitution and indeed has achieved well enough to guarantee the success of the PDP at the coming presidential elections.

“We reiterate our conviction in the ability of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan to win the presidential election for PDP. We condemn any subterranean move to blackmail our chapter against Mr President. Our support for Mr President is untainted and irrevocable. Ride on Mr President”, the statement added.

On Thursday, September 18, the National Executive Committee of the ruling party endorsed President Jonathan as its sole presidential candidate in the 2015 general election.

The decision by the PDP executive committee leaves the coast clear for President Jonathan to contest without opposition by any member of the party.

 

Naira Falls To 7-Week Low On Strong Dollar Demand

Money_new_NairaThe Naira fell 0.28 percent against the dollar on Tuesday to its weakest level in seven weeks, hit by strong demand from foreign exchange users and a squeeze in availability of the U.S. currency.

The local unit closed at 162.80 to the dollar, compared with Monday’s close of 162.35.

“We saw a bit of demand in the market today, pushing down the naira value,” one dealer said.

“Dollar flows have been scanty after many of the oil companies concluded their month-end dollar sales early last week,” another dealer said.

The naira eased against the dollar last week after some importers brought forward their forex requirements to tap into the month-end liquidity boost provided by oil companies selling the greenback to meet their local obligations.

Dealers said the naira should trade within range for the rest of the week in the expectation that state-owned energy company NNPC will sell dollars in the market soon.

NNPC accounts for the bulk of dollars traded on the interbank market and usually sells dollars to some lenders once or twice every month.

Keshi’s Contract Will Be Resolved Soon – Emeka Inyama

KeshiAn Executive Member of the Nigeria Football Federation, Emeka Inyama has revealed that the contract renewal for Coach Stephen Keshi is at an advanced stage and the contentious issue of his monthly salary would be resolved soon.

Inyama, speaking on Channels Television’s ‘Sport This Morning’, said that the Federation was seriously working hard to make sure that they resolve the salary issue as soon as possible before the African Cup of Nation qualifier against Congo and South Africa next month.

”On the contract talks with Keshi, we have resolved 90% of the issue. It is just the contentious issue of how much to be paid at the end of the month (that is left)”.

He further said that the NFF was being careful not make promises of an amount it would be unable to pay at the end of every month. “So we have to arrive at an amount that will be favourable for the parties involved so that at end of every month he will not be owed or his salary going into arrears” Inyama said.

Inyama, who is the Head of Media and Publicity of the NFF, expressed confidence that Keshi was ready to coach the Super Eagles of Nigeria and he would be in charge of the 2015 AFCON qualifiers.

On the NFF election, Inyama said that the General Congress, slated for August 26 in Warri, Delta State, would make a decision as to when the election would be held, so that those who are interested in contesting would not be disenfranchised.

”FIFA had categorically stated that we should give opportunities for people that want to take part in the election and no one should be disenfranchised. So it will be unfair to go ahead with an election where people will have grievances and go to court for one reason or the other”.

Inyama also praised the Falconents for beating Korea DPR 6-2 to qualify for the final match of the FIFA U-20 Women World Cup in Canada. He revealed that the NFF had provided everything to support the girls, including the camp allowances and winning bonuses, adding that they made sure that the crisis in the boardroom did not affect the performance of the girls on the pitch.

The Super Falconets play Germany in the final, (which is a repeat of the Germany 2010 finals) and Inyama said that the NFF was doing everything possible to make sure Nigeria becomes the first African country to win the World Cup.

BET Awards: Beyonce, Pharrell, Davido, Nicki Minaj Win Big

BEETThe 2014 BET Awards held on Sunday night, June 29 at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.

African stars and media including Tiwa Savage, Mafikozolo, Ice Prince, Stephanie Coker and Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi were at the event.

Nigerian music star, Davido won the Best International Act-Africa.

The night’s big winner was Beyonce. The pop superstar got three awards, including the 2014 FAN-demonium award, voted on by viewers. Pharrell Williams and August Alsina also had a happy night, taking home two awards apiece.

Nicki Minaj won for Best Female Hip Hop Star, and in her acceptance speech, she praised herself as a hip-hop star that doesn’t have someone writing for her, an apparent dig at Iggy Azalea. Drake beat out Jay Z for Best Male Hip Hop star.

12 Years a Slave was chosen as Best Movie, with the film’s stars, Lupita Nyong’o and Chiwetel Ejiofor, taking home acting awards. Lionel Richie was honored as the Lifetime Achievement Award recipient.

One memorable moment of the night was Kevin Hart interrupting presenter, Kerry Washington and referring to himself as “Oliver Pope,” a reference to Washington’s Scandal character, Olivia Pope.

Full list of winners below… 

Best Male R&B/Pop Artist: Pharrell Williams

Best Group: Young Money

Best Male Hip Hop Artist: Drake

Video Of The Year: Pharrell Williams

Best New Artist: August Alsina

Best Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor

Best Movie: 12 Years A Slave

Sportsman Of The Year: Kevin Durant

Best International Act UK: Krept And Konan

Viewers’ Choice Award: August Alsina

Best Female R&B/Pop Artist: Beyonce

Best Collaboration: Beyonce And Jay Z

Best Female Hip Hop Artist: Nicki Minaj

Video Director Of The Year: Hype Williams

Best Gospel Artist: Tamela Mann

Best Actress: Lupita Nyong’o

Youngstars Award: Keke Palmer

Sportswoman Of The Year: Serena Williams

Best International Act Africa: Davido

Centric Award: Jhene Aiko

Niger Dislodges Activities Of Nibrassiya Huda Sect

Babangida-AliyuNiger State government has dislodged suspected members of a radical and controversial Islamic sect, Nibrassiya Huda from Chechei in Lapai Local Government area of the state.

The leader of the sect, Sheik Mohammed Abubakar, with over 200 members said they gathered only for the purpose of learning more of Islam without any other motive.

However the leader of a special task force set up by the state government to dislodge the sect, Lieutenant Colonel Adamu Yakubu, explained that the dislodgement is purely a security measure.

Sheikh Abubakar, who noted that they have been in existence with the knowledge of the government and security officials, wondered the motive behind the raid and why the security agents raided their abode.

He also disassociated the group from any link with the dreaded Boko Haram sect.

Lieutenant Colonel Yakubu, however insisted that the task force was at the venue of the gathering to enforce an order to dislodge the sect.

OAU Students Complain Over 320% Fees Increment

ifeThe President of Obafemi Awolowo University Students Union, Ibikunle Isaac, has complained about the recent increment of school fees for fresh students and post graduate students.

While complaining about the increment, he revealed that the school announced a rise that amounts to about 320% stating that fresh students’ fees had been increased from N17, 000 to N100,000.

He also added that about 3 years ago, the acceptance fee into the school was increased from N2,000 to N20,000.

Speaking on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, Mr. Isaac revealed that the school receives funds from different sources and the World Bank recently allocated about $8million to the school, in addition to the school also generating funds from other businesses like the pure water and bread making factories in the school.

So, he wondered what the justification could be for the high increment, if the school would not explain how it spends all the monies it receives from the different sources.

He complained of the lack of power supply in the school and stated that the Senate of the school, rather than address the students’ problems, went ahead to announce the increment without communicating with the students.

Mr. Isaac noted that the student union was supposed to know about the increment of fees.

“If there is going to be any increment then the union must be involved.

“We want to know how much – every kobo – spent in the school”, he said.

#BringBackOurGirls: Protesters Reschedule Visit To Presidential Villa

protestersNigerians calling for the rescue of  the schoolgirls abducted in Chibok, Borno State have rescheduled their visit to the Presidential Villa to Thursday, for a wider participation.

Speaking with Channels Television after one of their daily meetings in Abuja, a member of the group, Hadiza Usman, said that the aim of the protest to the Presidential Villa was to find out what the Federal Government was doing to rescue the girls.

“We have written a letter to Mr. President, we are hopeful that he will grant us audience because we believe as citizens, our president should listen to us when we ask for audience.

“We are waiting for his response, if he fails to respond, we intend to go to the Presidential Villa and demand that we see our President, our demand is to bring back our girls now and alive,” she said.

She added that the group remained resolute in mounting pressure on those in authority to ensure the release of the girls.

F.G. should incorporate illegal refineries – Energy Analyst

Focusing on the energy sector on Sunrise Daily as it is a sector the Federal Government is bent on getting a lasting solution to the problems plaguing it, committees were set up and the Nuhu Ribadu committee which the former EFCC boss headed was one of it.

You wonder why the Nuhu Ribadu committee was mentioned? well it is not farfetched as it has been reported that the committee has submitted its report to the Federal Government.

Looking at that report on Sunrise Daily, Bode Sowunmi an energy analyst and a publisher commented on the report on revenue saying he was never surprised with the outcome of the Nuhu Ribadu report as some hidden facts are beginning to be revealed to the general public and it is emerging at an alarming rate.

In his own opinion; Sowunmi said further that government can only get a solution to the problem of sabotage (illegal refineries) which is crippling the sector if it invites saboteurs into a system where they will be provided a research and development network, also give them support after which they will be integrated into legal refineries as they Government is short of refineries and it is in dire need of so many of these refineries that are presently illegal.

Watch complete interview for more details.