Out of 2,400 members of the National Youth Service Corps in the Batch A deployed to Kano State, about 900 of them have been redeployed to other states due to the current security challenge in the commercial city.
The state coordinator of the NYSC in the state, Salisu Yakasai, made this known during the closing ceremony of the Batch A orientation exercise.
The corps members were relocated because of the recent suicide bomb attacks in the state with the latest being the attack at Sabon Gari Luxury Bus Park in Kano city.
Traumatised by the recent attack at the bus park, majority of the fresh graduates sort to be relocated to other parts of the country considered safer for them.
According to Mr. Salisu, the remaining 1,500 corps members would be redeployed to the rural areas of the state as they are relatively safer.
Meanwhile, the state Deputy Governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has charged those who stayed back to harness the various job opportunities offered to them in the state, promising that government would do everything to ensure their safety.
Legal Practitioner, John Oloyede said on Thursday that the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Scheme has not outlive the puprose for which it was created.
My Oloyede, who was speaking as a guest on Channels Television’s breakfast show, Sunrise Daily advices the Federal Government to retain the programme but make some modifications that will comply with the reality of the current security situation in Nigeria.
Batch ‘B’ members of the National Youth Service Corps staged a protest, at the Zang Commercial Secondary School, venue of the orientation programme, on Saturday, asking that they be redeployed from the state.
The corps members took advantage of the Director General of the National Youth Service Corps, Brig.-Gen. Nnamdi. Okere-Affia’s visit to the camp to complain that the directive that they be redeployed because of the crisis in the state was not heeded.
Okere-Affia, while addressing the corps members said, “I have directed that redeployment letters be given at the end of the orientation programme to those who want to go. However, for those that want to stay, we are liaising with the state government to ensure that they are not posted to restive areas.”
The DG advised the coordinator to expedite action on the order so that they could be released as soon as the camping programme was over.
The National Assembly had last week kicked against the posting of NYSC corps members to the North. The Chairman, Committee on Education, Science and Technology, Mr. Wahab Alawiye-King stated that the House had told the DG to withdraw corps members posted to the North.
According to him, the safety of lives and property cannot be guaranteed in that region of the country. He stated that the North had been plagued by violence and that the government would resist posting of any corps member there.
This came after graduates of Lagos State University, surrounded the state assembly with placards that read, “LASU says no to posting to the North, and ‘No service in Boko Haram states.”
The National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, has announced the rescheduling of the posting of all corps members deployed to Yobe and Borno States for the 2012 Batch ‘B’ Orientation Course.
A statement by the Director General of NYSC, Brig-Gen Nnamdi Okore-Affia, directed that corps members posted to some volatile states in the North such as Bauchi, Gombe, Plateau, Kano and Kaduna, but have not yet reported to the camp, should immediately report to the NYSC Directorate Headquarters, Abuja for redeployment.
The redeployment and re-scheduling comes after the federal government’s assurance on Wednesday that all corps members across the country during the mandatory NYSC are safe.
The normal orientation activities that were to hold in the troubled states have been scheduled to other states as directed by the statement.
“Yobe State prospective corps members will now hold their orientation course at the Nasarawa State NYSC Permanent Orientation Camp, Keffi, Keffi LGA, and not as stated on their call-up letters.” the statement read.
“Borno State prospective corps members will undertake their orientation programme at the Benue State NYSC Permanent Orientation Camp at Wanume, Tarka LGA, and not as stated on their call-up letters. Date: Thursday 26th July-Thursday 16th August, 2012, as earlier published.”
“In addition, all 2012 Batch ‘B’ prospective corps members deployed to Bauchi, Gombe, Plateau, Kano and Kaduna states who have collected their call-up letters but are yet to report in camp should immediately report at the NYSC Directorate Headquarters, Abuja for redeployment” the statement concluded.
The House of Representatives had on Tuesday ordered the NYSC headquarters to stop posting graduates who have been mobilised for the compulsory national service to volatile states in Northern Nigeria.
The House of Representatives on Tuesday ordered the National Youth Service Corps to stop posting graduates who have been mobilised for the compulsory national service to volatile states in Northern Nigeria. The lawmakers gave this directive following protests by corps members posted to such states that their lives would be in danger due to the Boko Haram crisis.
The House, however, said that those corps members who wish to serve in such states should be allowed to do so, including their indigenes.
Eighteen intending members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) were last Tuesday killed in a road accident while travelling from Imo to Taraba state for their orientation exercise, the Minister of Youth Development, Bolaji Abdullahi said on Monday.
The minister said this during the flag off of the 2012 NYSC Batch A skills acquisition sensitization training programme in Abuja.
He said that the issue of resuming within twenty four hours after issuance of call up letters would no longer be the case. The minister therefore sought for the review of the camp resumption deadline.
“We will look into the review of the resumption time so that those to be mobilise will prepare and resume to the camp before closing of the camp without having to rush to meet up with the deadline. The exercise will start right from when final result of those to be mobilise is released from their various institutions,” Mr Abdullahi said.
He said that the federal government starting from the 2012 Batch A corps members, will start an agro business grant to support and train graduating corps members going into agriculture business.
“Federal government in collaboration with T.Y Danjuma foundation will be giving grant of between two to three million naira to corps members for agro business with the condition that the corper must go through a 14 days training programme and it must be in connection with another four to five corps members.”
The minister further reiterated the scheme’s plan to shut out oil companies, banks and National Assembly from posting corps members to serve there as well as stopping of preferential posting.
“As I earlier disclosed during the unveiling of the new NYSC policy, our corps members will only be posted to areas like agriculture, education, rural health and infrastructure in order to achieve some of the MDGs while corpers will only be posted preferentially based legitimately on marital, medical and disability ground, adding that anyone found wanting or lying about those grounds would be punished appropriately,” he said.
The Federal Government on Monday offered automatic employment to 52 former members of the National Youth Service Corps for their extraordinary performance during their service year.
President Goodluck Jonathan announced this at the 2011 President’s NYSC Honours Award at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The beneficiaries were drawn from 2009 Batch ‘C’/2010 Batches ‘A’ and ‘B’ service years would also enjoy scholarships for their master’s and doctorate degrees.
He said the scholarships were applicable to any institution in any part of the world.
He said the decision to add scholarships and automatic employment to the certificates and medals received by the ex-corps members was meant to encourage them and other youths to continue to work hard.
The President however urged the beneficiaries to work hard as they were expected to get admission within two years to enjoy the scholarship.
He directed the ministers of Youth Development, Education as well as Mineral Resources to coordinate the exercise.
He said the scholarships for those in sciences and petroleum-related fields, including Petroleum Law or Petroleum Economic, would be funded by the Petroleum Technology Development Fund while the Education Tax Fund would fund the rest.
He said the decision to also give them automatic employment was taken because some of them might want to work while still seeking admission for their masters.
He asked the Minister of Youth Development to liaise with the Head of Civil Service of the Federation and the Federal Civil Service Commission to make sure that the youth got their appointment letters within one or two months.
Jonathan restated his administration’s commitment to providing favourable atmosphere for youths to develop themselves.
He explained that that was why a substantial amount of money had been earmarked for youth development in the fund to be accrued to the government from the removal of fuel subsidy.
The President promised that his administration would continue to keep faith with the ideals of the NYSC scheme.
He said, “If NYSC uniform now attracts evil men, before once you wear NYSC uniform, people could give you a ride freely.
“Who are those creating these problems? They are not ordinary men and women in our villages. They are politicians.
“It is politicians who are exploiting the situation negatively. We are even making our youths to hit themselves in the name of politics. We will all change.”