Court Sentences Falae’s Kidnappers To Life Imprisonment

Court Sentences Falae's Kidnappers To Life ImprisonmentAn Ondo State High Court has sentenced the seven persons accused of kidnapping a former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr Olu Falae, to life imprisonment.

Mr Falae was kidnapped on September 21, 2015, at his farm in Ilado, a rural agrarian settlement near Akure, the state’s capital in southwest Nigeria.

He was later released by his captors after spending four days with them.

Speaking to reporters, the prosecution counsel, Mrs Adesola Adeyemi-Tuki, said that the prosecution was able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused committed the offence.

“Part of the ransom were found inside his (the first defendant) vehicle at Minna where he was tracked to. Also, some of them made confessional statements and there were other evidences that corroborated their statements,” Adeyemi-Tuki said.

The lead counsel to the accused, Abdulrahman Yusuf, however noted that his team would study the judgement to know the next step to take.

“We were able to knock out armed robbery and conspiracy, so they were left with kidnapping and the judgement for kidnapping is life imprisonment. They were convicted for kidnapping and thereby sentenced to life imprisonment, each of them,” he said.

Falae’s Abduction: Additional Suspects Arraigned

FalaeTwo additional accused persons have been arraigned before an Akure High Court over the abduction of former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr Olu Falae.

The accused – Abdulkadir Umar and Babawuro Kato – were arrested by officers of the Department of State Services (DSS) in Abuja.

Five accused persons earlier charged to court were apprehended by the Police, bringing to seven the number of suspects standing trial for the abduction of the elder statesman.

At the resumed hearing of the case at the Ondo State High Court, Akure, the Department of Public Prosecution (DPP) sought the approval of the court to withdraw the earlier charges preferred against the suspects to be replaced with new ones.

The accused pleaded not guilty after the charges read were translated to them in Hausa language.

The first accused person was represented by a counsel, Mr Ochai Jonathan Ogaba while the rest six were represented by Lawyers from the Legal Aid Council.

The Prosecution team led by the Solicitor General and Permanent Secretary, Ondo State Ministry of Justice, Mr Akinladapo Ogunleye, asked the court to give them few days to enable them present their witnesses.

The Presiding Judge, Justice William Polyamide, adjourned the hearing of the case to December 2.

He however ordered that the accused should be kept in prison custody until the next adjourned date.

Court orders Akeredolu to pay N4.3m for campaign billboards

An Ondo State High Court has ordered the candidate of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) in the forthcoming governorship election, Mr Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN), to pay the sum of N4.3million to the Registrar of the Court being payment for his numerous billboards erected all over the State.

Mr. Akeredolu had filed a suit at the court in Akure, challenging, amongst other things, the constitutionality or otherwise of the Ondo State Signage and Advertisement Agency (OSSAA) Law, 2011.

He had also filed a Motion for Interlocutory Injunction restraining OSSAA from carrying out its duties as empowered by the Law pending the determination of the substantive suit.

The matter had been adjourned by the Presiding Judge, Justice Olusegun Odusola to Thursday, August 16, 2012 for the hearing of the Motion for Interlocutory Injunction.

However, before the hearing date, Akeredolu had gone ahead to erect billboards all over the state for his election campaign, a development which made OSSAA to issue Demand Notice for the payment of the sum of N4.3million being amount payable on the said billboards.

On Thursday however, counsel to the Defendants, Adebayo Ogunsuyi informed the court that plaintiff’s counsel had just served him with a court process wherein weighty allegations were made against the defendants which would warrant a response.

He then applied for an adjournment stressing that since the Ondo State Signage and Advertisement Law, 2011 was an existing Law, the Court was empowered  by the Rule to order that the plaintiff  to pay the sum of N4.3 million being the amount on the Demand Notice to the Registrar of the Court.

In his response, counsel to the defendant, Adekola Olawoye had objected to the defendants’ application that the money be paid to the court stressing that if OSSAA impounds any of their billboards or branded vehicles, they would meet fire for fire.

But Justice Odusola, having listened to submission of both counsels ordered that Akeredolu, the plaintiff pays the sum of N4.3million being the amount on the Demand Notice to the Registrar of the court pending the determination of the Motion on Notice.

He subsequently adjourned the case to October 11, 2012.