Two Nigerian States Try Out COVID Vaccine Passes

A health worker holds a vaccine tube and a syringe as Nigeria commences the second phase of COVID-19 vaccination on August 16, 2021. Channels TV/ Sodiq Adelakun.

 

Two states, Edo and Ondo, are trying to introduce COVID-19 vaccine passes for access to public places and gatherings, in a bid to increase vaccination rates.

Health passes or vaccine passports, required for entry to places like restaurants, gyms and cinemas, are already in place in some European countries though they have triggered protests in France, Greece and Italy as unfair to the unvaccinated.

Introducing similar measures in Nigeria will be complicated in a country that has received less than 10 million vaccines for a population of more than 210 million people.

Southern Nigeria Edo State Governor Godwin Obaseki last week gave residents up to the second week of September to get a vaccine or risk being barred from some places, including banks, receptions, churches and mosques.

“We have made adequate arrangements with security agencies to prevent anybody who doesn’t have vaccination cards from accessing any of these places,” Obaseki said.

Nigerians have so far been hesitant about taking the vaccine. As of Monday, only 2.8 million people had received a first dose, according to the agency in charge of the roll-out, the National Primary Health Care Development Agency.

“We would like to encourage governors to continue to provide leadership in the mobilisation of citizens to prioritise the acceptance of COVID-19 vaccine,” NPHCDA director Faisal Shuaib said.

“We are particularly enthused by the example shown by the Governor of Edo State,” he added.

Another state in southern Nigeria, Ondo, has also given residents two weeks to take the shots.

“Evidence of vaccination will be the condition to access public places, churches, mosques,” information commissioner Donald Ojogo told local media.

Robbers Attack Bullion Van In Ondo, Shoot Policeman

 

 

Armed robbers attacked a bullion van along the Akure/Owo Highway in Ondo State on Wednesday, shooting a policeman in the process.

Public Relations Officer of Ondo State Police Command, DSP Funmi Odunlami, told Channels Television via the telephone that the attack occurred close to Emure-Ile junction along the highway.

The robbers were however unable to cart away any funds as the bullion van was not carrying any cash when they struck, Odunlami added.

Meanwhile, a team of policemen has been deployed to the area to apprehend the armed robbers and the injured policeman is being treated at a nearby hospital.

Plateau Attack: Akeredolu Calls For Calm

A file photo of Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu

 

Ondo State Governor, Mr Rotimi Akeredolu, has appealed to residents of the state not to take laws into their hands over an attack on indigenes of the state in Rukuba village of Plateau State.

The Governor, in a statement signed by his spokesperson, assured them the situation is under control.

He also appealed to the people to refrain from any hasty colouration of the incident, maintaining that Ondo State indigenes living in Plateau State are not targets of any religion or ethnic crisis.

Some 25 persons had been confirmed killed and 14 injured along Rukuba road in Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau State on Saturday morning.

The victims were attacked while travelling from Bauchi en-route Jos to Ikare in Ondo State.

Plateau State Governor Simon Lalong has reacted to the incident in a statement signed by spokesperson Simon Makut.

The Governor condemned the attack and warned troublemakers bent on fomenting trouble in the state to desist as the government will not allow any form of lawlessness to disrupt the peace of the state.

The Governor said that attacks on innocent citizens, no matter their background, will never be tolerated in the state and those who are found to be behind such attacks will be dealt with decisively to serve as a deterrent and restore public order.

The statement added that the Governor has also directed security agencies to swiftly identify and arrest perpetrators.

The spokesperson of Operation Safe Haven, a military task force set up to maintain peace in Plateau State, Major Ishaku Takwa, said 12 persons have been arrested in connection with the incident, while normalcy has been restored in the area.

Police Officer, Two Others Shot Dead In Ondo Bank Robbery

 

Three persons have been killed after armed robbers attacked a branch of an old generation bank this afternoon in Ilaramokin, in Ifedore Local Government Area of Ondo State.

Spokesperson to the Ondo State police command, DSP Tee-Leo Ikoro confirmed the incident to Channels Television Via Telephone.

He disclosed that three persons, including a police officer, were shot and killed in the attack.

READ ALSO: Abducted Zamfara College Provost Regains Freedom

According to DSP Ikoro, the robbers were said to have broken the bullet-proof door of the bank with dynamites before they gained entrance into the banking hall.

It has not been confirmed how much the robbers succeeded in carting away and what other valuables were stolen.

The police spokesman however noted that normalcy has since returned to the area.

Police Discover Remains Of Lady Missing In Ondo, Ask Family To Provide Suspect

The crest of the Nigeria Police Force crest is on a police officer’s uniform. PHOTO: Sodiq Adelakun/Channels TV

 

Olufemi Ojomo, Akure

The remains of the 55-year-old woman, Joke Olaniji, who was declared missing from her residence about two weeks ago at Atoyo area in Ondo East Local Government Area of Ondo State has been found.

It was gathered that the deceased left her residence without telling anyone her whereabouts, leaving the door to her room open.

The deceased’s mother, identified as Juliana, disclosed that when she couldn’t find her daughter, she reported to the police.

According to her, it was the police that informed the family that her corpse had been found naked in a nearby cocoa farm.

The bereaved mother appealed to the police to unravel the cause of her daughter’s death and equally bring the perpetrators to book.

The Public Relations Officer of Ondo Police Command, DSP Tee-Leo Ikoro disclosed that no suspect has been arrested in connection with the killing as the family has not reported any suspect.

Ikoro noted that the deceased has since been buried but if the family comes up with any suspect, the police will commence investigation into the case.

Ondo Police Arrest, Parade 15 Crime Suspects

A map of Ondo, a state in southwest Nigeria

 

The Ondo State Police Command has paraded 15 Crime Suspects arrested in Akure and other parts of the state.

Parading the suspects at the command’s headquarters in Akure on Wednesday, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Bolaji Salami, said 12 of them were armed robbers, while the remaining three were arrested for rape.

Salami further disclosed that among the suspects is an eight-man robbery syndicate that specialises in snatching articulated vehicles with its contents at gun-point.

Items recovered from the suspects include nine motorcycles, one pump action gun and one truck and its contents.

In the rape case, three young men namely Ojo Olaniyi, Akinseye Bayo and Akintosoye Ayo were said to have drugged and raped one Ogungbemi Adewumi in Ondo city.

Fielding questions from journalists, one of the robbery suspects, Gbenga Kikiowo, said he started robbery at the tender age of seven.

He said he has never killed anyone before but he has been involved in several robbery operations and has been to jail three times.

He, however, pleaded for forgiveness saying he has repented and is willing to join the security agencies in fighting crime in the society.

The CP said all the suspects have confessed to have committed the crime levelled against them adding that they would be charged to court soon.

Ondo 2020: Appeal Court Strikes Out Jegede’s Petition Against Akeredolu

A file photo of Ondo State Governor, Olurotimi Akeredolu.

 

The Federal Court of Appeal sitting in Akure, the Ondo State capital has struck out the petition filed by the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Eyitayo Jegede against the victory of the All Progressives Congress (APC) flagbearer, Rotimi Akeredolu in the October 10, 2020 governor election.

The lead Counsel to the PDP candidate, Oyeachi Ikpeazu, SAN, had earlier approached the Appeal Court, claiming that the APC candidate’s nomination was not constitutional.

The election petition tribunal led by Justice Umar Abubakar that sat on the case had via a virtual platform ruled on April 20 2021 that the qualification of the APC candidate and his deputy were not a pre-election matter, but a constitutional matter, which is not within its jurisdiction.

[READ ALSO] Ondo Election: Tribunal Strikes Out PDP’s Jegede Case Against Akeredolu

Justice Abubakar ruled that “The issue raised therein in this petition are settled issues of internal affairs and Management of a political party which this tribunal has no jurisdiction”.

The position of the tribunal is in line with the argument of the counsels of Akeredolu, the APC, and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Subsequently, counsel to Jegede, not satisfied with the tribunal judgment approached the Court of Appeal insisting that the case was not a pre-election matter.

TB Joshua Will Be Missed For His Spiritual Contributions, Philanthropic Gestures – Buhari

Pastor TB Joshua’s sudden death on Saturday, June 5, 2021, has come as a shock to many, including President  Muhammadu Buhari who says he will be missed not only for his spiritual contributions but for his philanthropy.

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has commiserated with the family and members of The Synagogue, Church of All Nations (SCOAN) on the passing of their father and founder, Pastor Temitope Balogun, popularly known as TB Joshua.

In a statement signed by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the President, Femi Adesina on Sunday, President Buhari noted that the renowned televangelist will be missed by his followers all over the world not only for his spiritual contributions but for touching many lives through his philanthropic gestures.

He urged Pastor Joshua’s followers to take solace in the knowledge that life is not measured and defined by chronological longevity but by enduring legacies and lives touched positively.

Read Also: Prophet TB Joshua Dies At 57

President Buhari also condoled with the government and people of Ondo State and prays that God Almighty will accept the soul of the departed pastor.

In a post early on Sunday, the church sent out a communique stating that the pastor had died on Saturday.

The founder of the Synagogue Church Of All Nations was 57 at the time of his death.

“God has taken His servant Prophet TB Joshua home – as it should be by divine will. His last moments on earth were spent in the service of God. This is what he was born for, lived for, and died for,” the church’s statement partly read.

The communique, however, did not stipulate the true cause of his death.

Gunmen Kidnap Deeper Life Pastor Inside Church

Pastor Mayomi Ogedengbe

 

A pastor of the Deeper Christian Life Ministry, Mayomi Ogedengbe was on Monday abducted in his church located in Irese, a community near Akure, Ondo State capital.

According to an eyewitness, the kidnappers came in with a black Corolla Sports Car and took the pastor away to an unknown destination.

The whereabouts of the pastor have since then remained unknown, and his abductors are yet to reach out to the family on what to do to secure his release.

READ ALSO: Wike Increases Curfew Hours In Rivers After Killing Of Policemen

The Spokesperson of Ondo State police command, Tee-Leo Ikoro confirmed the incident to Channels Television noting that the Commissioner of Police in the state, Bolaji Salami has ordered the immediate search and rescue of the pastor.

He noted that a combined team of security operatives including the police, Amotekun, the military, the vigilante as well as the NSCDC have started combing the bush around the area to rescue the victim and equally apprehend the culprits.

Road Crash Claims Two Lives In Ondo

This combination of photos shows people gathered at the scene of a road crash in Ondo State on May 8, 2021.
This combination of photos shows people gathered at the scene of a road crash in Ondo State on May 8, 2021.

 

A fatal road crash has claimed the lives of two persons in Akure, the Ondo State capital.

The deceased were a commercial motorcyclist and his passenger.

The motorcycle which was said to have rammed into the rear of a faulty truck parked along High Court Road in the city.

The motorcyclist was said to have died instantly, while the passenger died later in a nearby hospital.

READ ALSO: Amotekun Evacuates 137 Illegal Occupants From Ondo Forest Reserve

It was gathered that the death of the motorcyclist resulted in anger among his colleagues who set the truck ablaze.

The action of the motorcyclists again infuriated the truck drivers who protested, blocking the High Court Road and disrupting the free flow of traffic.

The Spokesperson of Ondo State Police Command, DSP Tee-Leo Ikoro confirmed the incident.

Ikoro disclosed that men of the Command have been drafted to the area to prevent the breakdown of law and order.

He noted that normalcy has since returned to the area and the burnt vehicle has been pulled away from the road.

Amotekun Evacuates 137 Illegal Occupants From Ondo Forest Reserve

A map of Ondo, a state in south-west Nigeria.

 

Some 137 persons found to be occupying a government forest reserve in Ondo State illegally have been evacuated to their various states by men of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, the Amotekun Corps.

The illegal occupants were apprehended at Elegbeka Forest Reserve, located along Benin/Owo Highway.

The Commander of Amotekun Corps in Ondo State, Adetunji Adeleye disclosed that the agency got a tip off that some persons have invaded the government forest reserve in Elegbeka, near Ifon in Ose Local Government Area of the State.

READ ALSO: Prosecuting Kidnapping, Banditry Not FG’s Responsibility – Lai Mohammed

Adeleye further disclosed that the men were brought to Amotekun headquarters in Akure where they were further questioned and profiled and majority of them said they were from the northern part of the country, but they could not state their mission in the state.

According to Adeleye, it was discovered that the persons were conniving with others in the area in order to settle down illegally in the government forest reserve.

He said that the illegal occupants have been sent back to where they claimed to have come from.

Recently, 42 persons from Kano and Jigawa States who were apprehended in Okitipupa, by the men of the Amotekun Corps in Ondo State were also escorted out of the State.

The Amotekun Commander assured the law abiding residents of Ondo State of adequate security of their lives and property.

Amotekun Rescue Three Kidnap Victims In Ondo

A file photo of Amotekun corps during an operation in Ondo State

 

Officers of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, codenamed Amotekun have arrested two suspected kidnappers and rescued three travellers along the Ifira-Akoko/Idoani Road in Ose Local Government Area of the State.

The victims: Adewale Adebisi, male, 52; Ahan Mary, female, 21; and Ladi Bude, female, 23; were said to have been kidnapped by some armed men while travelling with other church members from Benue State to Akure, Ondo State in the early hours of Saturday.

It was gathered that the kidnappers flagged down the vehicle in which the victims were traveling, ordered the occupants out, and took them into a nearby forest.

READ ALSO: Makinde Visits Burnt Auto Spare Parts Market, Pledges Palliatives For Traders

However, the kidnappers ran out of luck as men of Amotekun corps on getting wind of the incident, stormed the area, in search of the victims in the forest, and succeeded in rescuing the victims.

The Commander of Amotekun Corps in Ondo State, Adetunji Adeleye, confirmed the rescue of the three victims to newsmen.

He disclosed that his men responded immediately after the distress call and they were able to rescue the victims safely.

Adeleye promised that the corps will continue ensuring the safety of the lives of the people of the State. He equally warned all criminal elements to desist or leave the state.