Teenager Jailed For Racist Abuse Of Rashford After Euro 2020 Final

England’s forward Marcus Rashford carries a note during the UEFA EURO 2020 final football match between Italy and England at the Wembley Stadium in London on July 11, 2021. (Photo by Paul ELLIS / POOL / AFP)

 

 

A teenager has been given a six-week jail sentence for racially abusing England forward Marcus Rashford on Twitter after the Euro 2020 final.

Justin Lee Price, 19, was sentenced on Wednesday at Kidderminster Magistrates’ Court in central England.

He posted a racist message on Twitter on July 11 last year after Manchester United striker Rashford missed a penalty during England’s shootout loss to Italy in the Euro 2020 final at Wembley.

Price had intially tried to avoid detection by changing his Twitter username after the post was reported, prosecutors said.

He then denied the offence in his first police interview following his arrest, but later admitted to posting the tweet.

Senior prosecutor Mark Johnson said: “Price targeted a footballer based on the colour of his skin and his action was clearly racist and a hate crime.

“I hope this case sends out the message that we will not tolerate racism and offenders will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.”

Rashford’s England teammates Bukayo Saka and Jadon Sancho were also targeted online following their penalty misses in the Euro 2020 final, leading to widespread calls for a clampdown on racist abuse on social media.

UEFA To Boycott Social Media In Protest Against Online Abuse

This handout provided by UEFA shows UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin giving a press conference closing an executive Committee meeting at the UEFA headquarters on June 17, 2020 in Nyon.  Harold Cunningham / UEFA / AFP.

 

European football’s governing body UEFA on Thursday announced it was joining a sporting boycott of social media this weekend to protest against online abuse.

A number of high-profile footballers have suffered racial abuse in recent months, prompting calls for tougher action from internet giants.

A coalition of football organisations including the English Football Association and Premier League revealed they would not post on their channels this weekend and the boycott has grown, with other sports bodies, sponsors and broadcasters joining in.

UEFA said it would stay silent across its platforms this weekend from 1400 GMT on Friday until 2259 GMT on Monday.

“There have been abuses both on the pitch and on social media,” said UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin. “This is unacceptable and needs to be stopped, with the help of the public and legislative authorities and the social media giants.

“Allowing a culture of hatred to grow with impunity is dangerous, very dangerous, not only for football, but for society as a whole.”

READ ALSO: Iheanacho Beats Harry Kane, Others To EPL Player Of The Month Award

The Slovenian added: “I urge everyone — players, clubs and national associations — to lodge formal complaints whenever players, coaches, referees or officials are victims of unacceptable tweets or messages.

“We’ve had enough of these cowards who hide behind their anonymity to spew out their noxious ideologies.”

England Rugby said on Friday it was joining the action, following a similar decision by the England and Wales Cricket Board and the Lawn Tennis Association.

AFP