Nigerians Should Change Their Consumption Pattern – Oshiomhole

 Economic Recession, Nigerians, Change, Consumption Pattern, OshiomoleAs part of the measures to get out of the current economic recession, Governor of Edo state, Adams Oshiomhole says, Nigerians may have to change their consumption pattern.

Mr Adams Oshiomhole who is of the opinion that the current difficulties the country is facing is self-inflicted, says the only way to address this challenge is the adoption of policies that will enhance local production and reduce pressure on the nation’s reserves.

He said this while on Channels Television breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily.

He also expressed that Nigerians cannot expect change within a short time, when there has been a back log of problems long before the current administration.

“There has to be a time lapse between when you formulate policies on the basis of what you found on ground, and when the benefits of those policies begin to manifest, If it takes 60 years to get to this terrible state we are in, why would anybody think that under 15 months of a new government, we will fix it?”, he added.

The Governor addressing Nigerians, said we must all identify the issues in the system, as everyone had contributed to the current state of rural poverty.

He said “the nation’s consumption pattern has been so distorted by the few who have access to stolen money” such that everywhere you go in the country, we have imported foods.

He reiterates what the government has said that “Nigerians would have to go through a re-orientation, such that we don’t learn to perfect the act of consuming what we don’t produce, particularly those things that we can actually produce”

Oshiomhole further stated that the whole essence of moving the economy from state involvement, towards private sector involvement is so that the private sector could be structured in such a way that they do not have to import all the things they currently do.

According to him, If we are going to move from being a nation that consumes what it doesn’t produce, but is capable of producing, then the government must redirect investors properly to the agriculture sector.

PDP Lied, Edo SUBEB’s Money Not Missing – Oshiomhole

The Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole has said that rumours being spread by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) that money was stolen from the State Universal Education Board (SUBEB) is false.

The governor made the statement at the swearing in ceremony of Washington Osifo as the new Commissioner for Higher Education, which held at the government house in Benin City.

The Commissioner for Special Duties was at the occasion reassigned to the Ministry of Women Affairs.

It will be recalled that the former Commissioner for Secondary, Technical and Higher Education, Ekpenisi Omorotionmwan was sacked last week.

Governor Oshiomole while speaking at the event also alleged that there are plans by the PDP to disrupt the State using the media.

He said that allegations by the PDP implying that the commissioner was sacked over missing funds in the SUBEB, is false.

He said that the party has perfected plans to disrupt the state using the media.

Sanusi is right, FG must reduce personnel cost – Oshiomole

The governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomole on Thursday called on the Federal Government to slash its overhead personnel costs for public officers by 50 percent.

Mr Oshiomole told a gathering in Abuja that the Central Bank Governor (CBN) governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi’s call for a reduction in the high cost of recurrent expenditure is not wrong however, the cut should be made from the excess spending of government officials and not the wages of workers.

He argues that the nation cannot continue to invest 80 percent of its budget on travel expenses of leaders and end up borrowing the remaining 20 percent left for capital projects.

Mr Oshiomole was speaking against the backdrop of the recent outrage sparked by Mr Sanusi’s call for a 50 percent downsizing of civil servants to reduce government spending.

Video: Oshiomole celebrates re-election with Azonto dance

The re-elected governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomole rocked the Azonto dance step with R&B singer Chuddy K at a victory party put together at the King’s Square Benin City.

The R&B singer Chuddy K while performing his hit single “Gaga Crazy” got the governor dancing the popular Azonto step hereby thrilling the crowd.

Mr Oshiomhole polled a landslide victory in all the recent Edo State election with 477,478 votes-73.72 per cent of 647,698 total votes cast-to defeat his closest rival, Charles Airhiarvbere of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

He was before now the former president of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has earned a second term in office following his election in the 2007 general election.