Tension In Osogbo As Police And Army Clash, Here’s Why

Ex-APC Governorship Aspirant Resigns From Osun Govt

 

The Police and Army have clashed in Osogbo, the Osun State capital after some soldiers were said to have invaded the police headquarters.

The tension started after the soldiers allegedly invaded the police command headquarters on Monday afternoon following the arrest of one of their colleagues who allegedly stabbed a police officer on Saturday night.

The reason for the alleged stabbing is, however, yet to be clear.

But the soldiers were said to have invaded the police premises with the intention of freeing their colleague from detention.

Read Also: EFCC Raids Osogbo Nightclub, Arrests 94 Suspected Cyber Fraudsters

They were, however, disarmed and arrested by the police, leading to a chaotic situation at the scene.

Consequently, many of the residents began to scamper for safety.

Meanwhile, a source at the police command headquarters told Channels Television that the three arrested soldiers have been released, while the one accused of stabbing a police officer remains in the custody of the police.

Banker Sentenced To One-Year-Jail Term For Fraud In Osogbo

Alleged Bribery: Witness Testifies As Rickey Tarfa’s Trial Continues
File photo

 

A 51 year-old female banker, Yetunde Iyabo Adewunmi, has been sentenced to one year imprisonment for conspiracy, aiding and abating fraud.

A statement signed by the Head, Media & Publicity of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Wilson Uwujaren, Adewunmi confirmed that the sentence was given on Tuesday, October 8, 2019.

She was convicted of one-count instituted against her by the EFCC, Ibadan zonal office, before Justice Peter Lifu of the Federal High Court 2, sitting in Osogbo, Osun State.

Investigation conducted by officials of the Commission had revealed that the Adewunmi used her position as a staffer of a new generation bank in Ile-Ife, Osun State to forge two identity cards for one Abayomi Samuel Onalaja, an internet fraudster, to enable him cash two Western Union transactions received from his foreign victims.

She was said to have benefited N236,736 from the illegal dealings.

Owing to the findings, the Commission earlier filed against her a five-count charge bordering on money laundering, but later amended it to one-count after agreeing to a plea bargain option with her.

The amended charge professed her guilty of an offence contrary to Section 27(2) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention etc) Act, 2015.

She pleaded guilty to the charge and was accordingly convicted.

The prosecution counsel Shamusuddeen Bashir, had earlier prayed the court to accept the conditions of the plea bargain which included restitution of the proceeds of the crime, and as well confirmed that the Commission had indeed received the sum.

Police Arrest Suspected Kidnapper Of OAU Lecturer In Osun

 

A suspected kidnapper of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) lecturer, Professor Olayinka Adegbehingbe, has been arrested by the Police in Osun state.

Professor Adegbehingbe was abducted by suspected gunmen at Apomu town along Ife-Ibadan Expressway on his way to Ife on Sunday May 5, 2019.

According to the Commissioner of Police in the state, Abiodun Ige, the kidnapped victim who was release the next day, identified the suspect as one of his abductors.

“We arrested some hoodlums who have been troubling us along the Ikire axis, we were able to arrest one of the kidnap suspects that kidnapped Professor Olayinka Adegbehingbe of the OAU and one Saheed.

“The kidnapped victim identified one of them during an identification parade.”

READ ALSO: Police Rescue Eight Kidnap Victims In Kaduna

Three other suspected kidnappers and cultists were arrested during different operations in the state.

“The command through the efforts of operation puff adder and community policing, we got some reliable information that led to the arrest of some cult members. Before the event of 7/7, we got information about some students who are cult members and we swiftly acted on the information and they were arrested.”

We Didn’t Transmit Results Of General Election Via Server, Says INEC

 

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it did not transmit results of the 2019 General Election electronically through its server due to circumstances beyond its control.

INEC National Commissioner in charge of Southwest, Solomon Soyebi, stated this at the post-election review meeting held at the Commission’s office in Osogbo, the Osun State capital.

“For some reasons, the Commission did not adopt ‘that option’ for 2019 election. It can only tell you that we are not ready for that technology because we were sure it would not be successful,” he said.

According to him, the clarification became necessary because of rising controversies on the transmission of the election results from states to the INEC server.

He further explained that although the process was piloted in Sokoto and tested in the Osun Governorship Election, it was not used for the General Elections.

“We didn’t use it for 2019 elections and I did say again that the 2019 elections were conducted according to law.

“We used the Federal Constitution of the Federal Republic, we used the Electoral Act and we used our own guidelines for 2019.

“If you look at all of them, we did not conduct elections outside these three instruments and you will see that there was no way where the issue of transmission was highlighted there,” he added.

Read Also: Osun Governorship Tussle: Adeleke Ask Supreme Court To Uphold Tribunals Judgment

Meanwhile, the Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, Olusegun Agbaje, also addressed some of the issues which led to elections being declared inconclusive.

According to him, violence was largely responsible for most of the rerun elections held in the country.

“Permit me to say that the Commission does not deliberately declare an election inconclusive as usually wrongly perceived by some members of the public.

“It is those who engage in disenfranchising voters as part of their win at-all-cost-strategy that should be blamed.

“If political thugs did not disturb votes in the five (Polling Units (PUs) of Oriade State consistency mentioned above, the Commission would not have declared the election inconclusive,” he said.

Osun Governorship Tussle: Appeal Court Denies Claim By PDP Over Panel

Ex-APC Governorship Aspirant Resigns From Osun Govt

 

The Court of Appeal has refuted claims by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) that Justice Joseph Oyewole was part of the three-man panel to hear the appeal on the judgment in the Osun State governorship election dispute.

The panel was constituted to hear an appeal seeking to reverse the majority judgment of the Osun State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal that sacked Governor Adegboyega Oyetola of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from office.

The tribunal had in a verdict it delivered on March 22, declared Senator Ademola Adeleke of the PDP, as the valid winner of the gubernatorial election that held in the state in September 2018.

Meanwhile, shortly after the appellate court announced its decision to commence hearing on governor Oyetola’s Appeal on Wednesday, the PDP said it uncovered that a member of the appeal panel has strong ties with the ruling party.

READ ALSO: Osun Election: PDP Rejects Justice Oyewole’s Inclusion In Appeal Court Panel

A statement signed by the Court of Appeal’s spokesperson, Mrs Sa’adatu Kachalla, said Justice Oyewole was never considered as a member of the panel.

Mrs Kachalla also described as uncharitable and unwarranted, the attack on Justice Oyewole by the PDP.

“Hon. Justice Joseph Oyewole, Justice of the Court of Appeal, Enugu Division, an industrious son of Osun State, is not a member of the Osun Governorship Election Appeal Tribunal set up by the President of the Court of Appeal.

“The members of the public are therefore advised not to be misguided by desperate and jittery individuals whose action is to heat up the polity.
“Time has changed, and it is better for us to change with time. The era of fake news is over.”

Election Postponement: Oyetola Urges Osun Residents To Remain Calm, Committed To Vote

 

The Osun State Governor, Gboyega Oyetola, has urged citizens to remain calm and peaceful without losing interest in the electoral process.

He said this in reaction to the last-minute postponement of the elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

According to a statement by his Chief Press Secretary Mr Adeniyi Adesina, the governor implored the people to turn out in large numbers on Saturday.

Read Also: Eleven Killed As Suicide Bombers, Gunman Attack Worshippers In Maiduguri

He said, “Let all citizens of State of Osun remain calm and peaceful in spite of the disappointment of the one-week postponement of the general elections.

“I implore our people not to lose interest in the electoral process as a result of this temporary setback.

“All eligible voters should not be deterred but turn out en masse on February 23 and March 9 to cast their votes for the candidates of their choice.

“We should continue to have confidence in the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, and the electoral agency’s ability to conduct credible, free, fair and transparent elections as promised by its chair, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu.”

Oyetola Signs N154bn Appropriation Bill For 2019

 

 

Osun State Governor Gboyega Oyetola has signed the 2019 Appropriation Bill.

The signing took place on Thursday at the Governor’s office in the capital, Oshogbo.

Tagged ‘Budget of Hope’, the Appropriation Bill consists of N61, 320, 327, 350 (recurrent expenditure) and N93, 086, 214,050 (capital expenditure), totaling N154, 406,541, 400.

The signing was witnessed by the Speaker of the House of Assembly Hon. Najeem Salam, Supervisor for Ministry of Budget and Economic Planning Dr. Olalekan Yinusa and Supervisor for Finance Mr. Bola Oyebamiji.

Governor Oyetola had presented the budget estimate before the lawmakers on December 27, 2018.

General Elections: INEC To Release Final List Of Candidates Today

 

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will release the final list of candidates for the governorship, state Houses of Assembly and FCT area council elections today, January 31, 2019.

The chairman of the commission, Professor Mahmood Yakubu said the list will be published in all the state offices of the commission across the country and on the commission’s website.

He said this at the swearing-in ceremony of the new Resident Electoral Commissioner in Bayelsa State, Monday Udo on Wednesday.

READ ALSO: General Elections: INEC Moves To Checkmate Violence Against Women, Persons With Disabilities

Professor Yakubu also noted that the commission is awaiting the confirmation and appointment of the nominee for Osun State.

He further stated that the commission has implemented 10 out of the 14 activities outlined in its scheduled programs of activities.

Four Kidnapped OSCOTECH Workers Regain Freedom

Ex-APC Governorship Aspirant Resigns From Osun Govt

 

Four members of staff of the Osun State College of Technology, Esa-Oke, who were kidnapped on Tuesday have regained their freedom.

The freed captives were among eight people initially kidnapped on December 4.

Read Also: Gunmen Kill One, Kidnap Four Osun College Workers

While three others were freed almost immediately, one other person died on the spot.

The released victims had claimed that the attackers were armed herdsmen who were demanding for an unspecified ransom.

Sources at the school said the gunmen blocked the Esa-Oke Road leading to the campus at about 4:00 pm on Tuesday and stopped several vehicles before abducting some of the occupants.

Details later…

Osun PDP Supporters Protest Over Alleged Disbandment Of Election Petition Tribunal

 

Some members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Osun State on Thursday stormed the premises of the state high court, raising an alarm over the alleged disbandment of the 3-man election petition tribunal.

The panel was set up to adjudicate complaints arising from the conduct of the September 22 governorship election.

When Channels Television arrived at the court premises, it was observed that the doors leading to the courtroom were under lock and key while the registry of the election tribunal was also shut.

One of the counsels to senator Ademola Adeleke, the PDP candidate, Mr Niyi Owolade, told journalists that they came for the hearing of an application on substituted service but were told by court officials that the panel had been disbanded.

Owolade said “We filed our petition on Tuesday, 16th of October and we tried to effect service to the three respondents, namely INEC (1st), Gboyega Isiaka Oyetola (2nd) and APC, being the (3rd) respondent.

“While we were able to serve the 1st respondent, the 2nd and the 3rd respondents declined service. So, we brought an application here yesterday for substituted service. The application was to have been heard 9.00 am today (Thursday), but we were surprised when we heard that the panel had been disbanded. What is even more surprising is the fact that you have disbanded and you have replaced.

“We all know that election petitions are swis generis. Our 180 days starts on the 16th of October, which was the day of filing, Section 285, Sub-Section 6 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as Amended is clear about. So, judgment is to be given on or before 18th of April, 2019, I mean the final judgment.

“But, if you have 180 days which has commenced and we cannot effect service which the law allows (of which order we would have gotten today has been denied), we are surprised that the President of the Court of Appeal saddled with the responsibility of empanelling election tribunal has not deemed it fit with greatest respect to her, to have put in place a new panel simultaneously. We are surprised that we don’t have a new panel yet. We hope that would be done soonest”.

When contacted to speak on the matter the court registrar, Lawrence Arojo, declined to speak to the press.

Osun Rerun: Police Arrest 16 Persons Allegedly With Illegal Observer Tags

 

The Police have arrested 16 persons for the alleged possession of illegal INEC observer tags, face caps and jackets during the Osun Governorship rerun.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, SP Folasade Odoro, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday.

“Police team on stop and search duties at Orolu; intercepted vehicles with sixteen persons on board in possession of customized INEC tags, face cap and jackets with the inscription of “INEC Osun 2018 Election Observer,” Odoro said.


RELATED

Three Men Arrested For Allegedly Carrying Charms, Banned Substances

INEC Expresses Concern Over Reported Arrest Of Observers, Journalists


According to him, the suspects were using the items to have easy access to restricted areas meant for accredited observers.

Reacting to earlier reports that some accredited INEC Observers were arrested or denied access to polling units, the PPRO said the reports were false.

He also reiterated the commitment of the Nigeria Police Force to ensuring adequate security for a free and fair re-run.

Osun Election: EU, UK, US Call For Credible, Violence-Free Rerun

 

The Missions of the European Union, the United Kingdom and the United States has called for a credible, violence-free exercise ahead of Thursday’s rerun for the Osun State governorship election.

In a joint statement issued on Tuesday, the EU, US, and the UK commended the people of Osun for voting peacefully in the election conducted on September 22.

They also commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the improved organisation of the election, as well as the security agencies for their conduct, despite INEC’s declaration that the result was inconclusive.

The statement read in part, “We commend the people of Osun for voting peacefully, the Independent National Electoral Commission for the improved organisation of the election, and security services for their conduct.

“We urge that all continue to support a peaceful, free, fair, and credible completion of the process as INEC re-runs the election in seven polling units where – through no fault of their own – voters were not able to cast their votes and have them counted last Saturday.

“We stress the importance that the re-run should take place without any violence, intimidation, or vote buying.

“Whoever wins the election after Thursday’s vote should be magnanimous in victory, and whoever loses should be gracious in defeat”.