Olisa Metuh Ready To Return 400 Million Naira

Metuh, Olisa MetuhThe embattled former National Publicity Secretary of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh, has restated his readiness to refund the entire N400 million paid to him by ex-President Goodluck Jonathan for publicity prior to the 2015 Presidential election.

Metuh, whose position was made known in a statement by his counsel, Onyechi Ikpeazu said he was willing to refund the entire N400 million regardless of the fact that the money had already been expended on the directive of the former President and that the EFCC had already recovered part of the fund from a prosecution witness.

The counsel confirmed that the defence team had been in talks with the Ministry of Justice, the EFCC and other necessary bodies on how to refund the money and resolve the issue.

Ikpeazu said that it has become obvious from the evidence of prosecution and defence witnesses that at the time the money was released to Metuh after his presentation to the ex-President, he had no knowledge of the source.

He, however, had every cause to believe that the money was from the ex-President to whom he made presentation, received directives and rendered report and accounts accordingly.

Ikpeazu said refunding the entire sum is in line with Metuh’s support for the ongoing war against corruption in the country and that his client is more of a victim of circumstance.

He pledged his client’s support for the anti-corruption war of the federal government.

Court Adjourns Metuh’s Trial Due To Ill Health

MetuhA Federal High Court in Abuja has adjourned the case against the National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Mr Olisa Metuh on the grounds of ill health.

Metuh who is standing trial for allegedly collecting 400 million Naira from the former National Security Adviser (NSA) Sambo Dasuki, was absent in court at the resumption of trial.

His lawyer, Mr Oyeachi Ikpeazu, informed the court that his client was on admission at the National Hospital Abuja.

Reacting to the application, counsel to the EFCC, Mr Sylvester Tahir said that he would reluctantly not object to the application, but will leave it to the discretion of the court to decide on what steps to take.

In his ruling, the trial judge, Justice Okon Abang, said that the hearing was adjourned at the instance of the accused person, following a medical report by a consultant neurologist at the National Hospital who ordered a compulsory bed rest for the accused.

He, however, said that the medical report has made it difficult for the court to decide on the time frame of the bed rest because it was not indicated in the report.

Court Refuses Evidence Against Metuh

MetuhAn FCT High Court has refused the evidence of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against the National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Mr Olisa Metuh over alleged destruction of statements.

Justice Ishaq Bello ruled that the evidence, which is a pocket notebook entry of an EFCC investigator, could only be tendered and admitted through a certified through copy.

Earlier, EFCC counsel, Sylvanus Tahir, had sought to tender the pocket book entry of Sa’ad Junaid, the operative who investigated the case, but defence counsel Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN) requested the prosecution to produce the certified true copy of the notebook as provided in the Evidence Act, which he could not produce.

The trial judge then declined to admit the pocket notebook as evidence.

The EFCC had on January 21, 2016 arraigned Metuh on two-count charges of attempting to destroy evidence to be used for his trial in the allegation of receiving 400 million Naira from the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel  Sambo Dasuki (Rtd) for which he has already been arraigned in another court.

The anti-graft commission’s charge stated that Metuh “tore into pieces statement made under caution” contrary to Section 326 of the penal code and punishable under section 327 of the same code.

The case has been adjourned to March 16 for continuation of hearing.

Court Grants Metuh Leave To File ‘No Case Submission’

Olisa-Metuh-trialA Federal High Court in Abuja has granted leave to Mr Olisa Metuh, to file a ‘no case submission’ in the charges of money laundering and diversion of public funds filed against him by an anti-graft agency. 

Opening his defence, Mr Metuh, who is the National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), told the court that he had filed an application, but the prosecutor, Mr Sylvester Tahir, interjected by telling the court that the prosecution had an amended charge to replace the initial charge for which he had entered a not-guilty plea.

With no objection from the defence counsel, Oyeachi Ikpeazu, the charges were again read to Mr Metuh who entered a not-guilty plea.

The PDP Spokesman consequently prayed the court to allow him make a ‘no case submission’ through a written address, despite the protest of the prosecution as to the mode of making his submission.

In his ruling, Justice Obong Abang pointed out that an accused person was at liberty to take any decision that he considered proper for his own defence.

He stated that there was no law preventing Mr Metuh from doing so through a written address.

Justice Abang said that the PDP spokesman was permitted to file his address as soon as the case was adjourned.

He added that while the prosecution was to reply in the next three days, and should Metuh need to respond to the prosecutor’s address, he was to do so within 24 hours.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had brought an amendment charge against Mr Metuh, one week after closing its case.

According to the Prosecuting Counsel, the new charges would have no material effect on the earlier charges brought against PDP’s spokesman.