A 24-year-old pregnant woman has been killed by Lassa Fever in Enugu State.
The woman died on Thursday at the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) Teaching Hospital in Enugu State.
This was confirmed by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Health, Dr Ifeanyi Agujiobi. He disclosed to journalists in the state that the patient presented the case of full-blown symptoms of Lassa fever and therefore could not be saved.
The Kano State government has confirmed the outbreak of Lassa fever in the state with three victims killed.
The State Commissioner for Health, Aminu Tsanyawa, told journalists on Wednesday that the victims of the virus include a pregnant woman and two medical doctors, who diagnosed her at the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital.
Tsanyawa said a press briefing was necessary to keep the public abreast of the situation and give necessary information about the disease.
A building in Bosso Local Government Area of Niger State has been engulfed by fire, killing a pregnant woman alongside her two children.
The tragic incident which occurred at midnight was a result of a power surge in the apartment.
The pregnant woman was reportedly trying to save herself and her children but was overpowered by the fire.
Residents of the area expressed shock following the death of the victims.
In an interview with Channels Television, one of the eyewitnesses explained that the woman was struggling to get out of the fire with her children but to no avail, as an iron burglary prevented her from leaving her apartment when she eventually got burnt with the two children.
Tragedy struck in the early hours of Thursday at Oworonshoki area of Lagos as a pregnant woman and five others were electrocuted by a live cable that reportedly fell on a vehicle loaded with petrol.
Eyewitness account said that the vehicle exploded, setting the entire environment on fire.
Confirming the incident, the Commissioner for Special Duties, Dr. Wale Ahmed, said that the incident occurred at number 6 and 8 of Onabanjo Street and that a Power Holding Company of Nigeria cable sparked when power was restored.
He said that the spark was so forceful that it detached one of the live cables from the pole and landed on a vehicle loaded with 50 liters of PMS, resulting in the explosion.
Describing the incident, the eyewitness explained that the victims on hearing the explosion of the vehicle, rushed out of their homes but unfortunately ran into the detached live cable in front of their house and were all electrocuted.
The Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Mr Rasak Fadipe, also confirmed the incident. He said that his men were able to contain the fire from spreading to nearby buildings.
The incident happened around 2.00 a.m. and the victims included three teenagers, a pregnant woman and another woman.
Tragedy struck in Ibadan, the Oyo state capital on Monday, when six people including a pregnant woman, were electrocuted to death after an electric cable, belonging to the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), fell from an electric pole.
The unfortunate incident occurred in the Apata market of the ancient city when the live high tension power supply cable suddenly fell on traders at the busy Agbekoja section of the market.
However, a one-year-old boy survived the incident and he is said to be receiving treatment at a hospital.
Eye witness accounts identified the deceased pregnant woman simply as Tawa, adding that her mother who was also standing beside her was also a victim of the electrocution.
Complaints have however been made to PHCN about the congestion of the poles, and that the incident was not the first.
Many other traders at the spot sustained injuries and were immediately rushed to nearby hospitals for medical attention.
Speaking with journalists over the electrocution, the Chairman, Ibadan South West Local Government Community Development Council, Alhaji Lasisi Bamidele Popoola lamented that this is the third time this year that the PHCN wire at Apata has been cutting off and falling, explaining that one person was killed in a similar circumstance in the area sometime last year.
Meanwhile, the Apata Market has been temporarily closed down to enable the PHCN management effect thorough repairs to the disconnected high tension wire.
Authorities of the Ibadan South West Local Government Council have also declared a three-day mourning for the electrocuted victims.