Jurgen Klopp says he might turn his back on football once his present contract with Premier League champions Liverpool ends in 2024.
The 53-year-old German had wanted to take a year off after he left Borussia Dortmund in 2015 but Liverpool came calling that October asking him to replace Brendan Rodgers.
Since then he has guided them to the Champions League trophy in 2019 and this year ended a 30-year wait for the league title.
However, he told German website Sportbuzzer that taking a year out in 2024 will give him time to reflect on what he wants to do next.
“I will take a year off and ask myself if I miss football,” Klopp said.
“If the answer is in the negative, then that will be it for Jurgen Klopp as a coach.”
Klopp — who broke Bayern Munich’s stranglehold on the German title winning it with Dortmund two years running (2010/11, 2011/12) — also revealed what he would miss least about the high-pressure business of football management.
“If one day I’m not a coach anymore, there’s one thing I won’t miss: The brutal tension just before the game,” he said.
“That’s no laughing matter.”
Having landed the first English league title for Liverpool in 30 years, Klopp said the new champions are eager for more silverware.
The task facing Liverpool in defending the league crown is formidable as only Manchester City in the past 11 years has achieved that (2017/18, 2018/19).
“The whole club is up for the new season and wants to do it even better,” said Klopp.
“We want to chase our opponents and continue to be a super unpleasant team that is not fun to play against.
“We’re not defending any titles, we want to get new ones, we’ve only just started winning.”
Chelsea boss Antonio Conte insisted he remains the best man to lead the Londoners despite an alarming dip in form from the Premier League champions in his second season in charge.
Wednesday’s shock 3-0 home defeat to Bournemouth left Chelsea down in fourth, 18 points off runaway league leaders Manchester City, and fighting just to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
Conte has also repeatedly voiced his frustrations at his lack of input over the club’s transfer policy, further fuelling speculation he won’t remain in charge at Stamford Bridge beyond the end of the season.
“I trust in my work and this is the only way that brought me to be one of the best managers,” said Conte, who won three Serie A titles in a glorious three-year spell in charge at Juventus.
“I don’t trust in anything else, only in my work and my job.”
Conte labelled his preparations for Wednesday’s defeat as “disastrous” as Chelsea finally landed Olivier Giroud from Arsenal as a striking alternative to the injured Alvaro Morata, whilst the out of favour Michy Batshuayi was allowed to join Borussia Dortmund.
However, Conte is wary of throwing Giroud straight into his starting line-up for Monday night’s trip to Watford.
“We are working with him and we have to check his physical condition. It won’t be easy for him to start against Watford,” added Conte.
Nigerian youth international, Kelechi Iheanacho, scored a last-gasp winner as Manchester City edged Crystal Palace on Saturday to maintain their 100 per cent start to the 2015/2016 premier league season.
Iheanacho’s late goal helped Manchester City beat Crystal Palace 1-0 in their English Premier League match at Selhurst Park.
Super Eagles forward, Odion Ighalo also scored the winner for Watford in their 1-nil win over Swansea City.
Premier League Champions, Chelsea lost for the 3rd time this season with Stephen Naismith inspiring Everton to a 3-1 win at Goodison Park.
In other results, Arsenal beat Stoke City 2-0, Norwich City beat Bournemouth 3-1, West Brom and Southampton battled to a goalless draw, while Manchester United beat Liverpool 3-1 in the day’s last game.
Premier League champions, Chelsea Football Club, on Friday announced that they have agreed terms with Monaco for the season-long loan of Radamel Falcao.
The Colombian international will link up with Jose Mourinho’s squad for the 2015/16 campaign.
Falcao told chelseafc.com; “I am very happy to be joining Chelsea and can’t wait to start training and help with our aim of retaining the league title and being successful in Europe.”
The 29-year-old started his career as a teenager in his homeland before joining Argentinian giants River Plate in 2001 and going on to build a reputation as one of Europe’s most feared strikers.
Eight years later, Falcao arrived in Europe at Porto, where he made his Champions League debut against Chelsea.
He lifted successive Europa League titles, first with Porto and the second after joining Atletico Madrid in the summer of 2011.
The striker left Madrid for Monaco in the summer of 2013, enjoying an impressive first half of the campaign before injury ruled him out of the rest of the season and the following summer’s World Cup. He scored a hat-trick against the Blues in the 2012 UEFA Super Cup.
After two goals in three games at the beginning of last season, he joined Manchester United on loan, scoring four goals in 29 games to help Louis van Gaal’s side back into the Champions League.
Falcao is now reunited with former Atletico team-mates; Thibaut Courtois, Filipe Luis and Diego Costa, as well as international colleague, Juan Cuadrado.