Kabore Wins Burkina Faso Poll

Kabore Wins Burkina Faso PollBurkina Faso’s Electoral Commission says Roch Marc Christian Kabore has won the country’s presidential elections.

The Commission said that Mr Kabore, a former Prime Minister, secured 53.5% of the vote on Sunday.

This is the first election since the uprising in 2014 which toppled longstanding President Blaise Compaore.

The Independent National Electoral Commission said that Mr Kabore, 58, won the elections outright, and there is no need to hold a second round.

It says his main rival, former Economy and Finance Minister, Zephirin Diabre, gained 21.6% of the vote.

Mr Diabre has already congratulated Mr Kabore, according to the AFP News Agency.

The vote was due to have been held last month, but was delayed by a failed coup in September led by members of the elite presidential guard.

Mr Kabore served as Chairman of the ruling Congress for Democracy and Progress Party (CDP) before leaving it in 2014, after opposing plans to extend Mr Compaore’s rule.

64-year-old Compaore, is now living in exile in neighbouring Cote D’√≠voire.

Burkina Faso Elections Get Underway

Burkina-Faso-electionThe people of Burkina Faso have begun voting to elect a new President and parliament.

This is the first poll after 2014 popular uprising that toppled sit-tight ruler, President Blaise Compaore.

Security is reported to be tight with up to 25,000 troops deployed across the country.

The polls, which was scheduled for October, had to be delayed due to a failed coup in September, led by members of the elite presidential guard.

The election is meant to mark the end of the transitional period following Mr Compaore’s removal. He had been in power for 27 years.

Analysts are predicting that it is most likely to be the most open and democratic vote in the country’s history.

Among the 14 candidates standing for the presidency, reports suggest that Roch Marc Christian Kabore and Zephirin Diabre are the front-runners.

Jonathan, Others Discuss Return To Civil Rule In Burkina Faso

Jonathan_BurkinaThe presidents of Ghana, Nigeria and Senegal visited Burkina Faso to press the military for a speedy handover of power to a civilian ruler.

The African Union (AU) says the army acted unconstitutionally when it took over after President Blaise Compaore was forced to resign on Friday.

The AU on Monday gave the army a two-week deadline. Interim leader Lt Col Isaac Zida later promised to comply.

Mr Compaore quit after mass protests at his bid to extend his 27-year rule.
‘Quick transition’

Col Zida met Senegalese President Macky Sall, Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria and Ghana’s John Mahama at the airport in the capital Ouagadougou.

A statement from President Jonathan’s office said the three-man delegation representing West African regional body Ecowas aimed to “facilitate the rapid resolution of the current political crisis in Burkina Faso”.

They will hold a series of meetings to press for the quick handover, following a threat by the AU to impose sanctions if the military did not act within two weeks.

The BBC’s Emmanuel Igunza in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa says the sanctions could include suspension of Burkina Faso’s AU membership and a travel ban on military officials.

After meetings with opposition leaders and activists on Tuesday, Col Zida was quoted as saying that he would comply with the demand.

“If everyone agrees, there is no reason that the transition shouldn’t be done within two weeks,” he said, according to union leader Joseph Tiendrebeogo, the AFP news agency reports.

Opposition leaders have not entirely ruled out a role for the military in the transition.

Col Zida was previously second in command of the presidential guard.