“We have resolved that we are going to see Mr President on the welfare of our people. When we get back, we will give you the context of our meeting with Mr President,” Umahi told journalists after the meeting.
Governors at the meeting include Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia) and Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu). Imo State governor was represented by Deputy Gerald Irona.
In their last meeting on August 31st, the governors agreed to meet with the President and service chiefs to discuss and dowse security tension in the region amongst others.
President Buhari disclosed this when he responded to a request by the group not to increase the price of fuel and promised to sustain the momentum in his second tenure and lift millions of Nigerians out of poverty.
He added that the key agenda of the inaugural Federal executive council meeting focused on the medium-term expenditure framework which includes the minimum wage as he re-echoed a commitment to implement the new national minimum wage.
Leader of the delegation, Quadri Olaleye of the Food, beverage, and tobacco senior staff association who recently emerged as the new National President of the TUC, replacing Bobboi Kaigama led the14-member National administrative council of the union to the President.
The Minister of Labour, Doctor Chris Ngige was also at the meeting.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday mourned the passing of one of his staff member, Buhari Nalado Sandamu.
“I have lost a good and honest caretaker.
“I have lost a prudent and a wonderful custodian who did so well taking care of my country home in Daura. May Allah bless his soul and give strength to the bereaved family to bear this irreparable loss, Ameen,” President Buhari said.
This was disclosed in a statement signed by President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu.
He added that the late Sandamu served the President and his family for more than 30 years.
The President has since sent a delegation to the family of the bereaved in Sandamu Local Government Area, Katsina, comprising Senior Special Assistant, Domestic and Household Matters, Sarki Abba, Senior Special Assistant, Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu and State Chief of Protocol, Amb. Lawal Kazaure.
The President’s Housekeeper, Saleh Yuguda, was also on the delegation that visited the family of the bereaved.
Sandamu, better known as “Commander,” died at the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano on Monday.
A West African Examination Council (WAEC) official, Henry Adewunmi, who said he has worked with examination board for 30 years told the Presidential election tribunal that the assessment result issued to President Muhammadu Buhari by Cambridge Assessment Center is not a document from WAEC.
Adewunmi said this on Wednesday when President Muhammadu continued the defence against the petition filed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) challenging his victory during the February 23 presidential election.
President Buhari’s lawyer, Mr Wole Olanipekun, had earlier called four witnesses including Henry Adewunmi who is also a deputy registrar in charge of exam registration at WAEC.
President Buhari’s Senior Special Assistant on Domestic Affair, Sarki Abba was also one of the witnesses called up by Mr Olanipekun.
In his witnesses testimony, Mr Adewunmi who was subpoenaed from WAEC and led in evidence by President Buhari’s lawyer, Mr Wole Olanipekun, told the tribunal that 18 candidates sat for the 1961 WAEC exam and that President Buhari was inclusive and indeed was number two on the candidates’ list.
Adewunmi, while testifying further added that President Buhari sat for eight subjects and had credits in five subjects.
The witness maintained that President Buhari was educated up to secondary school level and was awarded aggregate 32 and grade 2 for his performance.
However, under cross examination by Atiku and PDP’s counsel, Mr Levi Uzoukwu, the witness admitted that the assessment result issued to President Buhari by Cambridge Assessment Center was not equal to a certificate.
The witness added that the assessment report of President Buhari is not a document from WAEC because it is bearing Cambridge University Assessment International Education.
After he was further cross-examined by the petitioner’s lawyers, Mr Adewunmi admitted that he never worked with the University of Cambridge and that his own signature is not on the assessment report.
He added that the attestation letter issued to Buhari on November 2, 2018, was not a certificate and it can be issued under various conditions.
President Buhari has so far called seven of the 240 witnesses listed in his response to the petition. Further defence in the petition continues on August 1, 2019.
Two months after President Muhammadu Buhari was inaugurated into office of the President, the ministerial list has been sent to the Senate for confirmation.
Senate President Ahmad Lawan read the list of 43 nominees on the floor of the Senate and he noted that the screening of the nominees will commence on Wednesday.
The ministerial list has however sparked mixed reactions from Nigerians on social media with #MinisterialList #TheList dominating trend.
Some social media users opined that they were not impressed by the names on the list noting that the same old faces make up the list.
Others expressed disapproval noting that the list has more of politicians than technocrats or young Nigerians.
The list of women on the list was the concern of some others who said they expected President Buhari to have appointed more female ministers.
Few names like former Osun State Governor Rauf Aregbesola and Goodwill Akpabio came as a surprise to some Nigerians while others lauded the appointment of Niyi Adebayo from Ekiti State, Sunday Dare from Oyo State, Adeleke Mamora from Lagos State, Sharon Ikaezor from Anambra State among others.
Ladies and gentlemen here is #TheLIST of Buhari’s incoming ministers for the next level. If you like rejoice, if you like be angry here is your #MinisterialList. This is the best president Buhari can come up with, take it or leave it. All the best Nigerians. pic.twitter.com/8WP5aYDuex
Mohammed added that such comments are far below the status of an elder statesman.
He said it was particularly tragic that Obasanjo, who fought to keep Nigeria one is the same one seeking to exploit the country’s fault lines to divide it in the twilight of his life.
Read full statement below…
OBASANJO’S COMMENTS ON BOKO HARAM DIVISIVE, DEPRESSING – FG
The Federal Government has described former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s comments imputing ethno-religious motive to Boko Haram and ISWAP as deeply offensive and patently divisive, saying such indiscreet comments are far below the status of an elder statesman.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said it was particularly tragic that a man who fought to keep Nigeria one is the same one seeking to exploit the country’s fault lines to divide it in the twilight of his life.
He said Boko Haram and ISWAP are terrorist organizations pure and simple, adding that they care little about ethnicity or religion when perpetrating their senseless killings and destruction.
“Since the Boko Haram crisis, which has been simmering under the watch of Obasanjo, boiled over in 2009, the terrorist organization has killed more Muslims than adherents of any other religion, blown up more mosques than any other houses of worship and is not known to have spared any victim on the basis of their ethnicity. It is therefore absurd to say that Boko Haram and its ISWAP variant have as their goal the ‘Fulanisation and Islamisation’ of Nigeria, West Africa or Africa,” Alhaji Mohammed said.
He said President Buhari put to rest the mis-characterisation of Boko Haram as an Islamic organization when he said, in his inaugural speech in 2015, that “Boko Haram is a mindless, godless group who are as far away from Islam as one can think of”.
The Minister said Obasanjo’s comments are therefore as insensitive and mischievous as they are as offensive and divisive in a multi-ethnic and multi-religious country like Nigeria, wondering whether there is no limit to how far the former President will go in throwing poisonous darts at his perceived political enemies.
He said Obasanjo’s prescriptions for ending the Boko Haram/ISWAP crisis, which include seeking assistance outside the shores of Nigeria, are coming several years late, as President Buhari has done that and more since assuming office, hence the phenomenal success he has recorded in tackling the terrorists.
“Shortly after assuming office in 2015, President Buhari’s first trips outside the country were to rally the support of Nigeria’s neighbours – Benin, Cameroon, Chad and Niger – for the efforts to battle the terrorists. The President also rallied the support of the international community, starting with the G7, and then the US, France and the UN.
“That explains the massive degrading of Boko Haram, which has since lost its capacity to carry out the kind of spectacular attacks for which it became infamous, and the recovery of every inch of captured Nigerian territory from the terrorists,” Alhaji Mohammed said.
He said Obasanjo’s call for wide consultations with various groups as part of the efforts to tackle the Boko Haram crisis has been neutralized by his ill-advised comments which have served more to alienate a large number of Nigerians, who are offended by his tactless and distasteful postulation.
The Minister called on the former President, whom he said took bullets for Nigeria’s unity, not to allow personal animosity to override his love for a united Nigeria, saying it will not be out of place if he withdraws his unfortunate statement and apologizes to Nigerians.
President Muhammadu Buhari is expected to depart Abuja for Dakar, the capital of Senegal later today to attend the inauguration of President Macky Sall who will be sworn-in for a second term in office.
According to a statement released by Presidential spokesman, Mr Femi Adesina, Buhari, who is the chairman of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) will be the special guest of honour at the ceremonies which will be attended by other African leaders at the Diamniadio exhibition centre on Tuesday.
“On the invitation of his host, President Buhari, who is ECOWAS Chairman, will be Special Guest of Honour at the ceremonies to be attended by other African leaders at the Diamniadio Exhibition Centre on Tuesday.”
President Buhari will be accompanied by governors Mohammed Abubakar of Bauchi state, Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna and Tanko Al-Makura of Nasarawa states.
Other government officials on the presidential entourage include the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama; the National Security Adviser, Major-General Babagana Monguno (retired); and the Director-General, National Intelligence Agency, Ambassador Ahmed Rufai.
The President is expected back in the country at the end of the inauguration ceremony.
The Presidency has warned the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) not to make the family of President Muhammadu Buhari a campaign subject in the 2019 elections.
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, in a statement on Wednesday said the PDP should rather address consequences of their 16-year of rule in Nigeria than bring the President’s family into the 2019 elections.
“The PDP leadership cannot afford to make family an issue in this campaign. Need I say more? The only thing I want to add is that PDP is engaging in mud-slinging because it finds it easier than speaking on their despicable 16-year record in the course of which they abused the trust of Nigerians.
“They made a mess of everything including the economy, security, and infrastructure. It has come to the destiny of President Muhammadu Buhari to correct their mistakes.
“The PDP doesn’t see anything beyond grabbing power, power at all costs. It is an irony that a party that boasted as being the largest in Africa is now begging small parties for alliances. A Presidential contest is more than the issuance of daily press releases containing falsehoods,” Shehu said.
Shehu, however, added that if the PDP wants to make family the issue in the coming elections, the APC would gladly accept the challenge.
“If the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) wants to make family the issue in the coming elections, the APC would gladly accept the challenge. Let this be the subject for 2019 election.
“They have launched a campaign for the Presidency, a campaign that has failed to get any traction. The whole thing is not working; that President Buhari is unstoppable,” he added.
He further claimed that the PDP has no records to show of their achievements, despite being in government for 16 years, hence the reason why they are diverting attention.
“The PDP doesn’t have the strength and support to fight President Buhari. They don’t have the records in security, economy and the war against corruption to mount any meaningful challenge. They have no records of accomplishments in infrastructure. That is why they are dragging the President’s wife into their politics,” he said.
Reacting to various comments by several organs of the opposition party on remarks made by the President on views publicly expressed by his wife, Mrs. Aisha Muhammadu Buhari in an interview, the presidential spokesman said questions raised of the President by the PDP in regard to his wife only amounted to an own goal.
“Rather than a so-called cabal, an imaginary creation attached to all past governments of the country, President Buhari is remote-controlled by the 200 million-plus Nigerian people whose interest is uppermost in everything he says and does,” he said.
President Muhammadu Buhari has arrived Lagos State to inaugurate the ECOWAS border post in Seme.
The President who arrived the state on Tuesday morning will be inspecting a Guard of Honour mounted by the Nigerian Army, Navy and Air Force, before proceeding to the Seme Border.
The President and his Republic of Benin counterpart, Patrice Talon will be performing the official hand-over of the new Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Border Posts at Seme-Krake and Neope-Akanu in Badagry.
Tight security had been seen in various parts of the state, including officers from the Nigeria Police, Nigeria Air Force, Nigeria Customs Service, Nigeria Immigration Service and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps.
President Muhammadu Buhari will be visiting China on Friday to participate in the 7th Summit of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) scheduled to hold September 3 – 4, 2018 in Beijing.
The President’s first engagement in the country will be an interactive session with the Nigerian Community in China at the Nigerian Embassy.
In a statement by the President’s spokesman, Femi Adesina, the President will deliver his remarks as the current chair of ECOWAS at the “High-level Dialogue between Chinese and African leaders, business representatives and African entrepreneurs”.
The Nigerian President is scheduled to join President Jinping and other African leaders for the opening and roundtable sessions of the 2018 FOCAC Beijing Summit under the theme: “Towards an even Stronger China-Africa Community with a Shared Future.”
After the FOCAC Summit, President Buhari will hold bilateral meetings with President Xi Jinping and Prime Minister Li Keqiang to discuss infrastructure financing for strategic projects in Nigeria and the upgrading of Nigeria-China relations “from a strategic partnership to comprehensive strategic partnership.”
The President will also use the occasion of his audience with the Chinese leadership to assess the progress made so far in Chinese interventions in Nigeria’s key priority infrastructure projects, particularly on-going projects in the railway and power sectors.
“It is noteworthy that since the last FOCAC VI Summit in Johannesburg, South Africa in December 2015 – the first attended by the Nigerian leader – and his successful State visit to China in April 2016, the current administration has pushed forward practical cooperation with China in the areas of infrastructure construction, trade, investments, finance, power, agriculture, education cooperation, among others.
“It would be recalled that President Buhari has consistently acknowledged Chinese support for infrastructure development in Nigeria.
“In January 2018 while receiving the Board of Directors of the Nigeria Economic Summit Group, the President said:
President Buhari commended the Chinese government for its support to the country, especially in infrastructural projects.
‘‘We send our gratitude to the Chinese for all their support to Nigeria. Since independence, no country has helped our country on infrastructural development like the Chinese. In some projects, the Chinese help us with 85 per cent payment, and soft loans that span 20 years. No country has done that for us.’’
He will be accompanied to Beijing by his wife, Aisha, who is scheduled to participate in a Spouses’ Programme on China-Africa at the Great Hall of the People, under the theme, ‘‘Joining Hands for a Future of AIDS.’’
Also on the President’s entourage are Governors Mohammed Abdullahi Abubakar, Akinwunmi Ambode, Mohammed Badaru Abubakar and Rochas Anayo Okorocha of Bauchi, Lagos, Jigawa and Imo States, respectively.
Others are Senators Abdullahi Adamu, George Akume, Godswill Akpabio and Aliyu Wamakko representing Nasarawa, Benue, Akwa Ibom and Sokoto States.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama; Minister of Transport, Rotimi Amaechi; Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola; Minister of FCT, Muhammad Bello; Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Okechukwu Enelamah; Minister of Budget and National Planning, Udoma Udo Udoma; Minister of Water Resources, Suleiman Adamu; Minister of State, Petroleum Resources, Ibe Kachikwu, and Minister of State, Aviation, Hadi Sirika.
Others are the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno; the Director-General, National Intelligence Agency, Ahmed Abubakar; and the Group Managing Director, NNPC, Maikanti Baru.