Gaidam Satisfied With Conduct Of Polls In Yobe

YobeGovernor Ibrahim Gaidam has expressed satisfaction with the conduct of the Presidential election.

Following reports from Damaturu, the Yobe State capital, the Governor said that election in the state went on smoothly despite initial fear of security in the troubled north east geopolitical zone of the country.

With successes recorded during accreditation and subsequent voting in the state, the Yobe State Governor praised INEC, security agencies and other stakeholders for the success of the exercise in the state.

Speaking to Journalists after casting his vote at Bukarti town in Yunusari Local Government Area of the state, Governor Gaidam expressed satisfaction with the performance of the card reader in spite of the much anticipated fear of the new technology being introduced into the nation’s electoral process.

Governor Ibrahim Gaidam, who commended the people of the state for their efforts towards giving peace a chance, hoped similar cooperation would be maintained during the governorship and House of Assembly elections.

Fashola Asks Civil Servants To Vote Wisely

civil servantThe Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, met with civil servants in the state on Thursday, ahead of the 2015 general elections.

Governor Fashola told them to cast their votes wisely, in order to enjoy the dividend of democracy.

The Governor also reminded the civil servants of what he termed “experience”’ in Lagos State, which he said had been that of good partnership between the civil servants and the Executive.

The presidential elections is in less than 28 hours and all efforts are being made to ensure free, fair and credible elections.

Campaigns have ended in Nigeria, with the electoral body, the Independent National Electoral Commission on the other hand doing all it can to ensure a hitch free exercise.

Rivers Set For Election, Delivers Electoral Materials

riversThe Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Rivers State, Gesila Khan, has said that “all is now set for the Presidential and Assembly elections in Rivers State.”

The Rivers State REC gave this assurance, during the formal delivery of sensitive materials from the CBN at the premises of the electoral body in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.

Taking an inventory of the materials which included ballot papers and result sheets, the REC said that, all materials would immediately proceed to all the local government areas in the state.

The Commissioner of Police also gave the assurance that these sensitive materials would be adequately secured.

The CP also hinted that his men were under stern instructions to ensure that security was guaranteed during the polls.

Presidency Says Fashola’s Comment On Robbery Is ‘Irresponsible’

fasholaA spokesman for the Nigerian President, Dr Reuben Abati, has reacted to a statement attributed to the Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola, that the Lekki robbery succeeded, due to the presence of President Goodluck Jonathan in the state.

After a robbery incident in Lekki area of Lagos State occurred on on Friday, the Lagos State government said that policemen in the state had been deployed to the area that the president was, resulting in poor policing of some other areas.

After he made the statement, the President’s spokesman said the statement was irresponsible and should not come from a governor.

“We consider the statement attributed to Governor Fashola as grossly and utterly irresponsible.

“We expect that a man of his status, who is the Governor of a state, should speak more responsibly. It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever that the entire police formation in a state would be deployed to protect the president of Nigeria,” he said.

Dr Reuben Abati emphasised that the President had ‘a defined team that protects him anywhere he goes’.

He further pointed out that “President Jonathan does not need the entire Police force to protect him in a state where he is loved by the people and where, as we have seen, he enjoys overwhelming support to the lead up of the 2015 presidential election”.

Meanwhile, the Lagos State governor, Babatunde Fashola, said that the robbery incident which happened on Thursday evening could have been averted, if enough Police officers were available.

Four persons, including three Police officers, were killed by about 6 armed robbers who stormed a bank on Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1.

The robbers escaped in a speedboat after their operation, several witnesses said.

“Perhaps what would be would have been, but it’s sad to see all our security personnel, all our security vehicles deployed to protect one man,” said Mr Fashola.

“All the vehicles we bought for the police were stationed to receive the President in Lagos. Those policemen have children and tonight their mothers will have to explain to them why daddy is not coming home,” Governor Fashola had said.

President Jonathan visited the Nigerian Stock Exchange in Lagos on Thursday, to launch a new online mobile platform, X-Gen, in order to increase global investment

 

APC Accuses PDP Of Planning To Scuttle Elections

APC youthThe All Progressives Congress has accused the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) of doing all it can to scuttle the March 28, presidential elections.

The Director of the Buhari Campaign Organisation, Garba Shehu, said the newly registered Young Democratic Party is an appendage of the PDP.

He said the PDP was deliberately using the new party to frustrate the elections.

Mr Shehu said the claims by the ruling PDP that it had no intention of sacking the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Attahiru Jega, was not true.

“Rrecent utterances by members of the party is an indication that the ruling party is still scheme and might go ahead to change the IENC chairman all in a bid to sway the elections their way,” he said.

The Director of the Buhari Campaign Organisation, however, said that all of the efforts of the PDP would come to naught as Nigerians had resolved to ensure that through the exercise of their franchise change will come.

Last week, the governor of Ekiti State and a member of the PDP, Mr Ayodele Fayose, described outbursts of the APC over the possible removal of Professor Jega as “mere comedy“, stressing that President Goodluck Jonathan could “sack him if he wishes”.

Fayose said: “By turning themselves to advocates and defenders of the INEC Chairman, the APC and its agents have shown that they have a deal with Jega to manipulate the elections and that deal will be frustrated if he is asked to leave office”.

Fuel Scarcity: PDP Alleges Sabotage By APC

pdppcoThe Peoples Democratic Party Presidential Campaign Organisation (PDPPCO), has alleged that fuel marketers have taken a sub-contract from the opposition (APC) to frustrate supplies of petrol to fuel stations.

In a Statement on Sunday, the Director of Media and Publicity of the PDPPCO, Mr Femi Fani-Kayode, said that the situation was part of a grand plan to create tension in the polity.

Mr Fani-kayode said the opposition party had infiltrated the ranks of the fuel marketers.

“We know who the fuel marketers are. We know the relationship that exists between one of the biggest fuel marketers and a national leader of the APC. These unconscionable opposition elements infiltrated the ranks of the fuel marketers, whom they have contracted, in a calculated attempt to frustrate the good efforts of government.’

”Why have they taken this time when all hands are on deck for the March 28 elections to cause this artificial fuel scarcity?’

”The situation is so bad that they are not importing the product. They are even threatening tank farmers not to release any fuel in their depot, in order to sustain the shortage. We are aware that the tank farmers have reported the threat to the Police and other security agencies,” Mr Fani-Kayode said.

He stated that the situation showed “how desperate and wicked the opposition (APC) can be” in their quest for presidential power.

The PDPPCO blamed the APC for “retrogression with a devilish mindset to unleash the worst form of anarchy on the nation before, during and after the Presidential elections”.

In conclusion, he said: ”The PDPPCO also wishes to use this medium to alert the nation on the lingering plot by the opposition elements, who have been sponsoring their agents of destruction in the power sector, to vandalise critical infrastructure in order to reduce the megawatts of electricity that is being generated and reverse the gains that government is making in the sector”

PDP Says APC Deceiving Nigerians With ‘Unrealistic Promises’

Olisa Metuh of PDPThe ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has accused the All Progressives Congress (APC) of deceiving Nigerians with unrealistic campaign promises.

At a news conference in Abuja on Wednesday, the National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Mr Olisa Metuh, alleged that the APC, if elected, was planning to impose a new tax regime which would raise company tax from 30 per cent to 45 per cent and personal income tax to 32 per cent.

Mr Metuh asked the APC to explain to Nigerians how they would fulfil their promises with the prevailing 40 per cent drop in national income and dwindling oil price in the international market.

“The APC, in one of these phantom promises, said that it will pay a stipend each to 25 million Nigerians monthly until they are employed.

“This gives a total of 125 billion Naira each month and 1.5 trillion Naira every year.

“What is baffling is that the APC knows fully well that this is not only unrealistic but also impracticable in a nation with an estimated budget of a little over four trillion Naira, comprising recurrent and capital expenditures, yet they continue to dish out to unsuspecting citizens in a clear bid to mislead,” Mr Metuh said.

He further alleged that “the deceitful tendency of the APC came to light in its promise to create 740,000 direct jobs in each of the 36 states of the federation and the FCT within one year while on the other hand promising to create one million jobs for igbo youths”.

According to him, the APC had also promised to provide free education, daily free meals for millions of Nigerian school children, free tertiary education, free healthcare and houses to Nigerians.

“The opposition know too well that this is unrealistic, yet they prefer to brandish falsehood,” the PDP spokesman said.

In his campaign speeches, the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, General Muhammadu Buhari, has continued to promise Nigerians  ‘change’, reiterating his commitment to tackling corruption and insecurity.

Court Asked To Stop Nigeria’s General Elections

Voters confirming their names
Voters confirming their names

A Federal High court in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, has been asked to stop the February 2015 general elections.

The plaintiffs in the suit, Asogo Torkuma Venatius, Ola Solomon Oluwasanmi, Sunday Attah and Philip Agbese are seeking the nod of the court to postpone the elections until all eligible voters have collected their Permanent Voters Card (PVC).

In the suit, filed through their counsel, Mr Amobi Nzelu, they are also asking the court to order the use of Temporary Voters Card for those who are unable to collect their PVC.

In the statement of claim, the plaintiffs said that contrary to the announcement by the electoral body in 2014 that they would issue all eligible voters with PVC for the February 2015 election, about half of eligible voters are yet to collect their PVC.

On January 22, the National Security Adviser to President Goodluck Jonathan, Sambo Dasuki, advised the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to delay the elections scheduled for February in order to allow for proper preparations and distribution of the PVC.

He gave the advice during a discourse at London think-tank, Chatham House, where he stated that it would be advantageous if the upcoming elections were postponed.

He said that so far, INEC had distributed 30 million cards and would need to distribute more, noting that it would be the first time Nigerian voters would use a biometric card to prevent rigging of the elections.

According to him, since there were still another 30 million people yet to collect their PVCs, it would cost INEC nothing to change the dates of the elections.

The INEC had continued to assure Nigerians of its readiness to conduct the polls on the scheduled days.

Few days ago, it announced an extension of the the deadline for collection of the PVC from January 31 to February 8.

The Resident Electoral Commissioner in Lagos State, Mr Akin Orebiyi, told Channels Television on Friday that Nigerians had not come out to collect the cards, but expressed optimism that 80 to 85 per cent of the cards would be collected before the deadline.

2015 Election: Jonathan Totally Holds The Decision To Run– Nwabueze

Leader of the Patriots, Professor Nwanbueze said today in reaction to his recent visit to the President, Goodluck Jonathan, that the number one citizen of Nigeria is eligible and has a right to seek a re-election in the 2015 election and his statement concerning the president’s ambition for 2015 was purely a personal advice.

In press statement released, Professor Nwanbueze clarified what he calls insinuation by some indivicuals, that the political summit for next week is aimed at dissuading the president from contesting in 2015.

“My attention has been drawn to the insinuation that the purpose of the National Political Summit holding next week in Uyo is to take a decision to stop President Goodluck Jonathan from seeking re-election in 2015.

“This is very far from the truth. The purpose of the Uyo summit is to agree on a roadmap to stability, progress and unity of Nigeria. The entire aim of the summit is to build national consensus on how to save Nigeria.”

Having cleared the air concerning his advice to the president on 2015 elections, Professor Nwnabueze asserted that the president has every right to contest for a re-election in 2015 as he is also eligible to do so, if he wants to.

“As I said in my interview with the press yesterday, after the Patriots meeting with President Jonathan, the President is perfectly eligible to seek re-election in 2015 and he is free to do so. It is a matter in his absolute discretion to decide whether to run or not to run in 2015.

“My position in this matter is totally irrelevant. Therefore, my personal advice to him not to run is only one factor that he should take into account in deciding for himself whether to run or not to run.

“My advice is purely a personal one and not that of either the Patriots or Project Nigeria; (organizers of the National Summit) and has nothing to do with the Uyo summit as the question of election is not also a matter listed on the agenda of the summit.” he ended.

2015: PDP Southern Leaders Insist Jonathan Must Run

Leaders and elders of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) from the South South geo-political zone have insisted that President Goodluck Jonathan must run for a second term in the 2015 presidential elections.

The leaders, under the chairmanship of a former federal commissioner, Edwin Clark, said the president needs to contest the election, expressing their trust in him to further transform the nation.

The spokesperson of the forum, Ayakemeh Whiskey while reading a communique of the elders after a four hour meeting in Abuja revealed that the leaders and elders of the zone have passed a vote of confidence on President Jonathan.

He said they have resolved to resist any attempt to stop him from running for a second term.

Meanwhile, the south-south leaders have called on the Rivers state governor, Chibuike Amaechi, who was recently suspended from the PDP, to desist from all forms of anti-party activities and work for the success of the party at the next general elections.

Maduro Wins Venezuela Election With Narrow Win

[highlight]Defeated Venezuelan presidential candidate, Henrique Capriles has demanded a recount of votes, rejecting the election of Nicolas Maduro.[/highlight]

He said there were more than 300,000 incidents from Sunday’s poll that would need to be examined.

Nicolas Maduro, a 50-year-old former bus driver, whom Chavez named as his preferred heir before dying of cancer, edged out opposition challenger Henrique Capriles with 50.7 percent of the votes in Sunday’s election,while Caprilles had 49.1 per cent according to election board returns.

Reacting to the allegations of poll irregularities, Mr Maduro told his supporters that the result was legal and constitutional.

Capriles, whose strong showing confounded most forecasts, refused to recognize the result and said his team had a list of more than 3,000 irregularities ranging from gunshots to the illegal reopening of polling centers.

“I didn’t fight against a candidate today, but against the whole abuse of power,” Capriles, the 40-year-old governor of Miranda state, said after Maduro was declared the winner.

Russian president Vladimir Putin and Cuban leader Raul Castro were among the first heads of state to congratulate Mr Maduro on his win.