Court Refuses To Release Kanu’s Travel Documents, Cash

kanuThe self-acclaimed leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mr Nnamdi Kanu, has lost his bid to compel a Federal High Court to release the sum of $2,200 and 7,000 Naira as well as his travel documents.

The items were retrieved from him when he was arrested by the Department of State Services (DSS).

Mr Kanu, through his lawyer, Mr Chris Momah, had told the court that the said items did not form part of the evidence listed by the prosecution as evidence in the case.

Trial judge, Justice James Tsoho, declined the request on the ground that it was not filed at the appropriate time in the case and that the prosecution is at liberty to determine and use whatever evidence, it wants to use to prove its case.

Court Denies Nnamdi Kanu Bail

KanuJustice John Tsoho of the Federal High Court in Abuja has declined to release the detained self-acclaimed leader of the indigenous people of Biafra, Mr Nnamdi Kanu‎ on bail.

‎In a ruling on Friday, the court also denied bail to two other pro-Biafra agitators, Benjamin Madubugwu and David Nwawuisi, who are facing trial with Kanu.

‎Justice Tsoho maintained that the charge against the defendants could attract severe punishment upon conviction.

The trial of Nnamdi Kanu and the two other accused persons has been fixed for the 6th to 12th of February.

At the hearing on Monday, Mr Kanu, through his counsel, had told the court that the offense for which he was standing trial was a bailable one.

However, the Director of Public Prosecution, who represented the Federal Government, asked the court to refuse bail on the grounds that the offence for which Mr Kanu and his co-accused were standing trial was a serious offense.

He also told the court that if granted bail, the accused would interfere with witnesses and evidence.

In the week before, a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja ordered that Mr Kanu, who had been on detention, be remanded in prison custody pending the hearing and determination of his bail application.

Justice James Tsoho gave the order shortly after Mr Kanu and two others pleaded not guilty to a six-count charge of treasonable felony and illegal importation of a radio transmitter preferred against them by the Federal Government.

Court To Give Ruling On Nnamdi Kanu’s Bail Application January 29

nnamdi kanu - biafraA Federal High Court says it will on January 29 rule on the bail application by Mr Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People Of Biafra.

At the hearing on monday, Mr Kanu, through his counsel, told the court that the offense for which he was standing trial was a bailable one.

However, the Director of Public Prosecution, who represented the Federal Government, asked the court to refuse bail on the grounds that the offence for which Mr Kanu and his co-accused were standing trial was a serious offense.

He also told the court that if granted bail, the accused would interfere with witnesses and evidence.

Having heard the two parties, the trial judge fixed the ruling on the bail application for January 29.

Last week, a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja ordered that Mr Kanu, who had been on detention, be remanded in prison custody pending the hearing and determination of his bail application.

Justice James Tsoho gave the order shortly after Mr Kanu and two others pleaded not guilty to a six-count charge of treasonable felony and illegal importation of a radio transmitter‎ preferred against them by the Federal Government.

Biafra Agitation Is Cry For Recognition Of Economic Problems – Obasanjo

ObasanjoFormer President Olusegun Obasanjo says that the recent agitations by pro-Biafra groups in Nigeria’s south east in only a cry for recognition and amelioration of economic problems facing the region.

The former President made this remark during his speech in a Forum on the topic ‘Nigeria And The Biafra Agitation’.

Obasanjo said that the issue of Biafra secession is dead and efforts by agitators to resurrect it is a sign of frustration that the government at all levels should work to address.

Some of the panellists, however, disagreed with the former President’s beliefs that the issue is a dead one.

One thing the former President and other panellists agreed on was that the government has not done enough about issues leading to such agitations.

The former President advised government to ensure provision of education and employment for youths in the region.

Three Feared Dead In Soldiers-Pro-Biafra Fracas

MASSOB IPOB Demonstrate for BiafraThree people suspected to be members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) are said to have been killed and two others including a soldier seriously wounded when a scuffle broke out between the soldiers and the Pro-Biafra group on Friday.

The fracas occurred at the Bridge Head axis of Onitsha in Anambra State when the group members poured out in their hundreds at the bridge in jubilation over the release of their leader, Mr Nnamdi Kanu.

According to the Anambra State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Ali Okechukwu, based on information gathered from the army, at about 1:30 pm, the IPOB members surged to the Bridge Head in their hundreds to celebrate the release of their leader and in the process blockade the bridge.

In a bid to prevent the seizure of the Bridge Head, soldiers manning the area tried to stop them and the group allegedly attacked them, forcefully trying to disarm one of the soldiers, the police official said.

He further explained that in the process, the leader of the military squad, one Captain Umar, attached to the 302 Artillery Regiment, Onitsha was injured.

In the scuffle that followed, three suspected members of the group were killed.

Another member of the group and the Captain, who were wounded, are presently receiving treatment at the Military Hospital, Onitsha.

According to the police, a preliminary investigation is ongoing by the army and the outcome would be communicated to the police.

Police Warn Against Illegal Procession During Yuletide

Police in Nigeria have called on youths and group of persons  intending to embark on any form of illegal procession during the yuletide season to refrain from such plan, as strategy has been put in place to stop such activities.

The AIG Zone Nine, Usman Gwary, gave the warning on Friday while addressing reporters in Umuahia, Abia State in south-east Nigeria.

He said that the police commands within the zone were on red alert to resist any movement that would cause any breakdown of law and order.

Recently, a group, Independent People of Biafra, seeking the actualisation of the State of Biafra, has held series of protests in the region, hampering business activities in the south-east.

The group is also calling for the release of its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, who is facing trial and is being detained by the Department of State Service despite an order of a magistrate court granting him bail since October 19.

Mr Kanu is facing a three-count charge of criminal conspiracy, intimidation and belonging to an unlawful society which he has pleaded not guilty to.

 

Normalcy Returns To Anambra As Pro-Biafra Protesters Leave Scene

Biafra-protestersThe pro-Biafra protesters who blocked the Onitsha end of the Niger Bridge in Anambra State have left the scene.

According to our reporter, some level of normalcy is returning as the road is now open.

The protesters numbering over 100 took over the entire road for over ten hours forcing travellers and motorists to remain on one spot.

According to an eyewitness, the protesters who were agitating for the release of their leader, Nnamdi Kanu, have shown no sign of ending the siege.

Earlier on Tuesday, some pro-Biafra protesters, seeking the actualisation of the nation of Biafra, blocked the Onitsha-Owerri expressway in eastern Nigeria, truncating business activities in one of the nation’s major commercial cities, Onitsha.

According to an eyewitness, the protesters, who were agitating for the release of their leader, Nnamdi Kanu, showed no sign of ending the siege which lasted for more than six hours, leaving commuters and motorists stranded.

Mr Kanu is standing trial on a three-count charge of criminal conspiracy, intimidation belonging to an unlawful society which he has pleaded not guilty to.

His trial on Tuesday was stalled due to the absence of the judge.

Onitsha King Asks Pro-Biafra Agitators To Stop Protests

BiafraThe paramount ruler of Onitsha in Anambra State, Igwe Alfred Achebe, has condemned the widespread protests by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) calling for the separation of the entire south east region from Nigeria.

King Achebe made the statement on Saturday on the heels of agitations and protests for Biafra nation in some south-east and south-south states.

Protesters have also called for the release of Mr Nnamdi Kanu, the director of Radio Biafra, who has been in detention since last month.

In an interview with Channels Television shortly after his investiture as the Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Igwe Achebe told the protesters to shelve the idea of seceding from the rest of Nigeria, as such agitation would only amount to violating the Nigerian Constitution and principles of democracy.

An Indivisible Country

Emphasising that Nigeria still remains a united and indivisible country, the traditional ruler reminded the pro-Biafra agitators of the inherent dangers involved in their action.

He advised them to channel all their grievances to their elected representatives in the National Assembly for consideration, instead of embarking on violent protests that could result into break down of law and order in the region.

Igwe Achebe while noting that Nigerians have remained united since independence, irrespective of the numerous challenges, expressed regret over the renewed agitation for a Biafran State.

“Such violent protests in the name of Biafra will not solve the various economic and social problems confronting the south-east zone or add any value to the development and progress of the entire country,” he said.

According to him, the south-east remains an integral part of Nigeria and the leaders from the area so much believe in the unity of the country and would always work towards sustaining such bond.

Police Say Planned Pro-Biafra One-Million Man March Is Illegal

MASSOB-IPOB-Demonstrate-for-BiafraThe Nigeria Police Force seems to be spurring for a final showdown with youths calling for the recognition of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), as it has issued a warning that a “planned one-million march is illegal”.

In a strongly-worded statement on Friday, the Inspector General of Police, Mr Solomon Arase, said that the protesters, from the south-eastern region, would be provoking the law if they do not stop such protests or call.

Attempt To Test The Law

He particularly made reference to the planned ‘one-million march’ for the actualisation of Biafra, which he said was illegal and asked everyone not to participate.

“Information available to the Nigeria police indicates plans by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to embark on ill-advised protests, using dangerous weapons across some south eastern states.

“For the avoidance of doubt, this is unlawful and no one should attempt to test the law,” the police warned in the statement.

He reminded the youths that the law prohibiting the unlawful possession of firearms was still in force.

He also warned against any attempt to unleash mayhem on innocent and law-abiding Nigerians.

He said that anyone arrested in connection with the planned march would be appropriately dealt with.

Before the warning of the Inspector General of Police, hundreds of youths took to the street in Asaba, the capital of Delta State, blocking the major express way leading to the east.

At Summit Junction in Asaba, the group chanted war songs, calling for the restoration of Biafra and demanding the release of a certain Nnamdi Kalu who they claimed was in detention at the Department of State Security office.

The group began the protest at about 4:00pm local time on Friday.

They stopped motorists travelling to either the eastern part of Nigeria or to Benin City in Edo State.

According to Channels Television’s reporter in Delta State, Vivian Oramadike, the protesters refused to leave Summit Junction even when it was beginning to get dark.

Their presence has caused traffic jam, forcing motorists to abandon their vehicles on the express.