Trump May Release Partial Video Of Baghdadi Raid

 

President Donald Trump on Monday said he could release segments of video from the dramatic US raid to kill Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in Syria.

“We may take certain parts of it and release it,” Trump said on departure from Washington to Chicago, where he was due to address a police officers’ convention.

The attack by US special forces deep into Syria took place Saturday, culminating in the death of the fugitive leader who at his peak headed an organization that attempted to set up a hardline Islamic state across a huge area of Iraq and Syria.

Trump described the raid in unusually colorful and detailed terms on Sunday, saying that Baghdadi died when he exploded a suicide vest after being cornered by US soldiers in a tunnel, together with three children.

He died “like a dog,” Trump said in his comments, which differed sharply in tone from similar announcements by presidents in the past.

A report in The New York Times, quoting military and intelligence officials, cast doubt on some of Trump’s descriptions, including his repeated claim that Baghdadi was “whimpering and crying” in the tunnel.

Trump said his account was based on having watched the whole raid in real time, like “a movie.”

According to the report, Trump would not have had access to audio of the events at the time, or have been able to see footage from inside the tunnel.

AFP

Five Doctors Killed In Libya Air Raid

 

Five doctors were killed in an airstrike by forces of Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar in a field hospital near the capital, the health ministry of the UN-recognised government said.

Haftar’s self-styled Libyan National Army launched an offensive in April to try to wrest Tripoli from forces of the Government of National Accord which is based in the capital.

Pro-GNA forces have weathered the initial onslaught and since then fighting has remained deadlocked on the outskirts of the city, with both sides resorting to air strikes.

“The field hospital located on the airport road (south of Tripoli) was hit by an air raid. Five doctors were killed and seven other people, including rescuers, wounded,” health ministry spokesman Lamine al-Hashemi said.

The strike occurred on Saturday and was carried out by “a Haftar warplane”, he said.

READ ALSO: Armed Men Kill 14 In Burkina Faso Village Raid

“It was a direct hit against the hospital which was packed with medical teams,” Hashemi added.

There was no immediate confirmation or denial of responsibility from Haftar’s forces.

The attack was the third to target a hospital south of the capital.

On July 16 three doctors and a paramedic were wounded in a strike on the Swani hospital near the capital, the second time it was targeted.

The World Health Organization and rights groups have repeatedly called on both sides in the conflict to spare medical personnel, clinics, and hospitals.

The fighting since April has left nearly 1,100 people dead and wounded more than 5,750, according to the WHO. More than 100,000 civilians have fled their homes.

AFP

EFCC Not Aware Of Raid On Justice Onnoghen’s Farm, Says Spokesman

Onnoghen: Foreign Interference In Nigeria’s Internal Affairs Is 'Insulting' – FG
Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen (file)

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission says it is not aware of any raid on the farm allegedly linked to the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen.

Operatives of the commission, a cameraman and policemen were said to have raided Justice Onnoghen’s farms located in the Masaka area of Nasarawa State around 3 pm on Saturday and allegedly searched the entire premises for more than three hours.

But in a telephone conversation with Channels Television, EFCC’s spokesman, Mr. Tony Orilade, denied being aware of any search by operatives of the agency on the property reportedly linked to the suspended CJN.

The denial comes barely 24 hours after the EFCC dismissed reports of raiding Justice Onnoghen’s residence.

READ ALSO: EFCC Denies Raid On Justice Onnoghen’s Residence

According to the anti-graft agency, it never went to the CJN’s house.

There were also reports about an invitation from the EFCC to the CJN, however, the EFCC said it did not extend any such invitation.

While describing these reports as ‘fake news’, the anti-graft agency urged Nigerians to disregard all unfounded claims and be rest assured that the commission will fight corruption in line with the agency’s mandate.

Justice Onnoghen is facing six charges bordering on failure to declare his assets and operating a domiciliary account, among other charges.

Raid: Clark Condemns Officers’ Dismissal, Says They Were Made ‘Scapegoats’

 

Elder statesman, Edwin Clark, on Friday faulted the police leadership for dismissing the three inspectors who raided his home.

The Ijaw leader believes the officers led by an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), who has also been suspended, could not have embarked on the operation without the knowledge of the police authorities.

READ ALSO: Police Dismiss Three Inspectors Involved In Raid Of Clark’s Home

“Why make these boys (the police officers) scapegoats?” Clark questioned when he received Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta State at his residence in Abuja.

“For someone to say that they didn’t know, these boys were on their own and, therefore, they should be dismissed; Why deceive Nigerians? If you made a mistake, say you’ve made a mistake,” Clark said.

Clark Accepts Police Apology, Demands Detailed Investigation (Full Statement)

The elder statesman claimed that the Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG) in charge of Federal Intelligence instructed the search of his home.

He wondered why the police authorities that should know the masterminds and conspirators of the invasion went after the four junior officers, whom he said were merely carrying out instructions from their superiors.

Police ‘Must Come Clean’ On Raid On Clark’s Residence – Oshiomhole

Raid: Clark Condemns Officers’ Dismissal, Says They Were Made ‘Scapegoats’

Clark explained, “While they were here doing the search, Ambassador (Boladei) Igali was here. He phoned an AIG in charge of Intelligence and the man said he wanted to speak to the boys (the policemen).

“He did, and one would have expected that if these boys were on their own he could have asked them to go back, but after that, they went on.”

The Ijaw leader stressed that no one should pretend or deceive Nigerians. He insisted that the police officers who came to his house to carry out the raid did not do it on their own.

He said it was wrong to give the impression that the Force leadership was not aware of the search, adding that the officers could not have gone to the court on their own to secure a search warrant and raid his house the same day.

On Tuesday, the ASP led the three inspectors to raid Clark’s residence in Asokoro, an action which sparked a widespread criticism across the country.

Hours later, the police said they were unaware of the search and described the raid as an “illegal and unauthorised” operation, while a team of top police officers visited the elder statesman to apologise to him.

The three inspectors were later dismissed and the ASP suspended, while the informant involved was charged to a court for giving false information and telling falsehood that misled police action.

DSS Warns Nigerians Of Fraudsters Posing As Its Operatives

Murder, Kidnap, DSS, Rivers

The Department of State Services has warned Nigerians to beware of fraudsters and operatives of “some security agencies” posing as its agents.

According to the DSS, some security agencies have continually engaged in illegal security operations, allegedly in its, in parts of the country.

“These impersonators, in some instances, try to mimic the Service’s operational tactics by using its symbols and paraphernalia especially operational dress codes,” the DSS said in a statement by its spokesman, Mr Tony Opuiyo.

“The aim, according to information available to the service, is to accord semblance of legitimacy to their operations and as well leave impressions that the DSS was, in fact, involved.”

An example of such illegal operations, the statement said, was the raid and search of the Kaduna residence of former Vice President, Namadi Sambo.

READ ALSO: Former VP Accuses ICPC, Police Of Plot To Incriminate Him

“Another was the one executed at No.165, Ademola Adetokunbo, Wuse II, Abuja, belonging to Sahara Energy Company,” it added.

The security agency, which said it was working to end the act, called on Nigerians to provide it with tips and information about suspected illegal operations.

“The public is hereby alerted to be wary of these ugly trends and also informed that not all operatives in black uniforms are personnel of the DSS,” it added.

It promised that, in line with its standard operating procedures, it would be accountable and keep stakeholders informed of its activities “on the basis of need-to-know principle”.

Troops Raid Suspected Cultists In Uyo

Army Arrests Three Suspected Chadian Boko Haram Terrorists
File Photo

Troops of the Nigerian Army have carried out a raid on cultists around the boundary between Akwa Ibom and Cross River states.

The raid was carried out by troops of 2 Brigade Nigerian Army, Uyo on Saturday, a statement by the Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, for the brigade said.

According to the statement, the raid is line with the army’s constitutional mandate of providing aid to the civil authority.

The army said that during the raid “on identified armed cultists” around the Uku Iboku Itu Bridge, a pair of military camouflage uniform, a camouflage T-shirt, camouflage singlet, a cardigan, 10 mobile phones, a bag of charms, a bag of clothes, one wrap of Indian hemp, the sum of N29,700, two Rizzlers and three motorcycles were recovered from the cultists.

The Commander 2 Brigade Nigerian Army Brigadier General Abdu Ibrahim Hassan assured all law abiding citizens in the area that the Brigade is poised to protect them and will do everything within its powers to ensure peaceful coexistence between the people in the area.
He also solicited their support and cooperation in reporting any form of crime to the appropriate security agencies.

Wike Accuses Police IG Of Plot To Kill Him

Wike Assures Investors Of Land And Tax Relief In Rivers StateThe Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, has alleged that the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, is after his life.

Wike told journalists in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, on Saturday that before he travelled to Kaduna on Friday, the IGP directed his crack team to invade his home in Asokoro, Abuja supposedly acting on information from a whistle-blower.

“I want to reiterate, the Inspector-General of Police is after my life,” he said.

He claimed the planned raid was aimed at planting firearms, cash and other incriminating exhibits in his Abuja home, claims the police have denied.

Wike said, “All attempts are being made so that they will go and plant either AK-47 or $1m in the governor’s house. They can even plant costly wristwatches as a propaganda tool.

“I said I have to let Nigerians know that this is not the way to go about in democracy. Rather, this is an attempt to truncate democracy. That someone differs on issues does not mean you have to go after the person’s life.”

According to the governor, the police also planned to obtain a search warrant from the court on Tuesday, as Monday is a public holiday, under the guise that they unaware that the house in question belonged to a sitting governor.

He called on the police to come to his home in rivers to conduct their search, instead of his Abuja residence, which he hardly visits.

“Nigerians should be aware that should they raid my house in Abuja and claim they found anything, it is incorrect. I have not been going to Abuja, but I will be in Abuja to wait for them to see how they plan to plant guns in my house,” Wike said.

The Force Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood, however, denied the governor’s allegation.

In a telephone interview with our correspondent in Abuja, Moshood said the police never plants incriminating materials in the house of anybody.

The Force PRO also said he was not aware of any plan by the police to raid the Abuja home of Governor Wike.

He added that the Police would always act within ‎its constitutional mandate of protecting lives and properties including the prevention of crime.

No Plan To Plant Incriminating Evidence Against Wike – Police

Force PRO, Jimoh Moshood

 The Nigerian Police Force has denied claims by Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, that it plans to plant incriminating evidence against the governor.

Wike had on Saturday accused the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, of being after his life and directing police personnel to plant firearms, cash and other incriminating exhibits in his Abuja home.

The Force Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood, however, denied the governor’s allegation.

In a telephone interview with our correspondent in Abuja, Moshood said the police never plants incriminating materials in the house of people.

The Force PRO also said he was not aware of any plan by the police to raid the Abuja home of Governor Wike.

He added that the Police would always act within ‎its constitutional mandate of protecting lives and properties including the prevention of crime.

READ ALSO: Wike Accuses IGP of Plot To Kill Him