Rann Bombing Remains A Traumatic Incident- Air Force

Nigerian Air Force, Bombing, BornoThe Nigerian Air Force (NAF), has expressed regrets to all concerned over the bombing of an IDP camp in Rann, a community in Kalabalge Local Government Area of Borno State earlier in the year.

The force in a statement explained that it is already engaging humanitarian organisations in the northeast with a view to understanding their programmes and locations in order to prevent gaps in communication while providing succour to families of victims.

“It is important to reiterate that no NAF pilot leaves his base with the intention of going to kill the same set of people that he greatly sacrifices day and night to protect. The unfortunate bombing of innocent civilians in Rann, Borno State has, therefore, remained a traumatic incident for the NAF pilots involved and indeed, the entire NAF community.

“The Nigeria Air Force solicits the understanding and support of all Nigerians and members of the international community regarding the tragic incident.”

Read Also: Scores Feared Dead As Nigerian Jet Accidentally Drops Bomb On Borno Settlement

In January a Military plane accidentally dropped a bomb inside a settlement in Borno State, killing several persons.

A spokesman for the military, who confirmed the incident to Channels Television on January 17, acknowledged that the incident was an error deeply regretted by the military.

Read Also: Inappropriate Marking Of IDP Camp Caused Rann Bombing – DHQ

At a press briefing last Friday, the Defence Headquarters said the lack of appropriate marking of the IDP camp was responsible for the accidental bombing in the community.

The defence spokesman, Major General John Eneche, said the IDP camp was not supposed to be built in that community.

He stated further that the various boards of inquiry into the incidence have recommended that all locations should be marked appropriately on the operational map to avoid a recurrence of such.

Inappropriate Marking Of IDP Camp Caused Rann Bombing – DHQ

Rann Misfire: Air Force Panel Dialogues With Traumatised Survivors

The Defence Headquarters has responded to the Rann bombing which took place at the Internally Displaced Persons’ (IDPs) camp in January 2017.

According to the defence spokesman, Major General John Eneche, the lack of appropriate marking of the IDP camp was responsible for the accidental bombing in Rann, a community in Kalabalge Local Government Area of Borno State.

He told journalists in Abuja on Friday that an IDP camp was not supposed to be built in that community, saying it was not marked on the operational map.

READ ALSO: Scores Feared Dead As Nigerian Jet Accidentally Drops Bomb On Borno Settlement

Major General Eneche stressed further that because it was not marked an IDP camp, it appeared to be a place for terrorist activities when a mass movement was noticed via satellite.

He added that the various boards of inquiry into the incidence have recommended that all locations should be marked appropriately on the operational map.

The panels also asked all agencies participating in the operations in North East Nigeria to share timely information such as locations of IDP camps.

According to them, this would help to prevent confusion for other participants in the operations, especially the military.

Rann Bombing: Buhari Warns Against Re-occurrence

The clarification from the Defence Headquarters came six months after a military plane accidentally dropped a bomb inside a settlement in Borno State, killing several people.

A spokesman for the military, who confirmed the incident to Channels Television on January 17, acknowledged that the incident was an error deeply regretted by the military.

He, however, claimed that the incident did not occur in an IDP camp as reported in some quarters but a settlement said to be occupied by civilians.

He explained that soldiers had gotten information of the movement of Boko Haram members in the Kalabalge area and deployed ground troops and air cover to tackle the terrorists.

According to him, it was the air support that mistakenly dropped the bomb.

President Muhammadu Buhari had sent his condolence message to victims of the misfire and the Borno State government.

The Chief of Staff to the president, Abba Kyari, conveyed the president’s message when he led a Federal Government delegation on a condolence visit to the state.

President Buhari, however, warned the military to ensure that adequate measures were put in place to prevent any reoccurrence of such incident.

Rann Bombing: At Least 50 Victims Undergo Operation

Rann Bombing, Victims, Air ForceAt least 50 out of the 89 injured persons evacuated from Rann in Kalabalge Local Government Area of Borno State have been operated upon.

The disclosure was made on Thursday by Dr. Laraba Bello who is the Medical Director of the Specialist Hospital in Maiduguri where 68 patients were admitted.

Other injured persons were split between Umaru Shehu Hospital and the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, all in Borno State.

Responding to questions from the Air Force Investigative Board, led by Air Vice Marshal Sallau Bala-Ribah, Dr. Bello said that one of those brought to the hospital had died on admission.

He added that some of the children evacuated to Maiduguri for treatment were unaccompanied.

“They brought the patients in batches; we received a total of 68 patients and we lost one.

“Right now we have discharged some and we have 58 patients remaining and all of them are responding to treatment; they are doing well.

“Close to 50 have entered the theatre for one procedure or the other,” the Medical Director said.

The Air Force team has been to the Theatre Command, Operation Lafiya Dole headquarters, the scene of the misfire in Rann, and the 105 composite group offices in Maiduguri.

The board is gathering information on the circumstances surrounding the accident, as well as the extent of damage.

Local officials had claimed that about 236 persons were killed in the incidence while the Army said two of its personnel were affected.

The International Committee of the Red Cross also lost six of its members to the bombing.

Rann Bombing: NAF Sets Up Board to Investigate Accidental Air Strike

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has constituted a board of senior officers to investigate the accidental air strike on January 17, 2017 at Rann village, Borno State.

Among its terms of reference, the Board is to determine the immediate and remote cause as well as the circumstances that led to the incident.

A statement by the Director of Public Relations and Information, Group Captain Ayodele Famuyiwa, reads: “This is with a view to forestall future occurrence. In addition to a list of 20 witnesses given to it, the Board is free to invite other persons to give evidence on oath.

“The Board is to submit its report not later than February, 2, 2017.

“The 6-man Board is headed by the Chief of Standards and Evaluation, Headquarters Nigerian Air Force (HQ NAF), Air Vice Marshal Salihu Balaribah.

“Other members are Air Vice Marshal Charles Oghomwen, Air Commodore Ayoola Jolasinmi, Group Captain Essien Efanga, Wing Commander Solomon Irmiya and Wing Commander Mohammed Muazu.

At least 50 persons were killed when a military jet dropped a bomb on the settlement. The military said it had received reports that fleeing Boko Haram members were settling in the area.

Earlier, President Muhammadu Buhari warned the military to ensure that such an incident would not occur again.

 The Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari, conveyed the President’s message when he led a Federal Government delegation on a condolence visit to the Borno state government.

The House of Representatives in Nigeria had earlier demanded a thorough investigation into the incident.

Rann Bombing: House Of Representatives Wants Thorough Investigation

house-of-representativesThe House of Representatives in Nigeria is requesting for a thorough investigation into the Nigerian Air Force’s accidental bombing of a settlement in Rann, a community in Borno State.

In a debate that lasted for about an hour, lawmakers called for a probe of the incident which had caused the death of innocent Nigerians.

At least 50 persons were killed when a military jet dropped a bomb on the settlement. The military said it had received reports that fleeing Boko Haram members were settling in the area.

It was a solemn moment, as the sponsor of the motion, which came as a motion of urgent public importance, Representative Sani Zorro, appealed to the House to set up an ad-hoc committee to visit the scene and assess the situation on ground.

Lawmakers, who contributed to the lengthy debate that followed, described the incident as a sad development that must be investigated.

This resolution enjoyed the support of the House and was approved unanimously.

It was an incident that Nigerians are still coming to terms with, even though the military has said that the incident was a regrettable one.

Several of the injured persons are receiving treatment at different hospitals in the capital city, Maiduguri, with an official of the state government saying 54 of them are in stable condition.

After the debate on the issue, the House resolved to send a 10-man committee to visit the scene and assess the situation on ground.

A minute silence was also observed in honour of those who lost their lives in the incident.

Earlier, President Muhammadu Buhari warned the military to ensure that such an incident would not occur again.

 The Chief of Staff to the president, Abba Kyari, conveyed the president’s message when he led a Federal Government delegation on a condolence visit to the Borno state government.

Among the team were the Chief of Staff to the President, Ministers of Defence and Information, the Chief of Defence Staff, the Chief of Army Staff, and the Chief of Air Staff.

Kyari said the visit was initiated by the President, who has condoled with families of victims of the airstrike.

Rann Bombing: 54 Victims In Stable Condition, Government Official Says

Rann bombing, accidental bombing
Photo Credit: Reuters

Fifty-four victims of the Nigerian Air Force accidental bombing in Rann, Kala-Balge Local Council of Borno State are in stable conditions at different hospitals where they are receiving treatment, a government official said on Wednesday.

The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Haruna Mshelia, told reporters that the victims were receiving treatment at three hospitals located in Maiduguri.

Giving a breakdown of the locations of the 54 victims, Dr. Mshelia said ‎32 persons were receiving treatment at the State Specialist Hospital; 16 were being treated at Seven Division Military Hospital in Maimalari Barracks while six persons are hospitalised at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital.

The Commissioner said all the 54 hospitalised victims were in stable conditions, with medical experts from the State, humanitarian partners and the military attending to their health needs.

“It is still too early to give an accurate number of deaths because as at the time of issuing the update, evacuation of survivors is still ongoing with four helicopters provided by the United Nations and the Nigerian Air Force airlifting the victims,” he said.

Dr. Mshelia also told reporters that bodies were still being recovered.

The Commissioner said humanitarian partners like the MSF, International Committee of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, the United Nations and different stakeholders have been extremely dedicated to the emergency evacuation and medical response.

Meanwhile Governor Kashim Shettima has since morning deployed his Deputy, Usman Mamman Durkwa and the House of Representatives member, representing Kala-Balge, Bama, Dikwa and Ngala Federal Constituency of Borno State, Mamman Nur Sheriff among other officials to the scene of the incident at Rann, Headquarters of Kala-Balge Local Government Area in order to assess the situation and supervise evacuation of victims to Maiduguri.

The State Ministry of Health has already put in place an emergency medical response team to coordinate rehabilitation of victims, the statement said.

After the bombing, the military said it was a regrettable mistake.

The spokesman for the military Brigadier General Rabe Abubakar, confirmed the incident to Channels Television.

He explained that that it was an error deeply regretted by the military.

The military spokesman said the incident did not occur in an Internally Displaced Persons’ camp, as being reported by in some quarters but a settlement said to be occupied by civilians.

Brigadier General Abubakar explained that soldiers got information of movement of Boko Haram members in the Kala-balge area and deployed ground troops and air cover to tackle the terrorists.

According to him, it was the air support that mistakenly dropped the bomb.