Gunmen Kidnap Cleric, Ask Family To Start Saving For Ransom

Gunmen, in the early hours of Tuesday, invaded Malum community, a suburb of Ardo-Kola Local Government Area of Taraba State and kidnapped Reverend Solomon Jediel.

The gunmen after whisking the preacher away contacted the family members and informed them to start saving money for his ransom.

Wife of the victim, Lucy Solomon, who narrated the sad incident to Channels Television in the native Hausa dialect explained that the kidnappers shot sporadically into the air, shattered the windows to their house and beat up every member of the family.

READ ALSO: Three Killed As Farmers, Herdsmen Clash In Jigawa

“We were about to sleep when my husband asked me to look through the window and then I saw the abductors. When they got closer, they flashed torchlight at us and asked my husband to come out and follow them or else they will shoot him.

“He obliged and opened the door. Then, they started beating every member of the family. They threatened to kill me and asked me to bring the money at home, I brought it and they left with the money, my husband and my daughter’s credentials.

“They later contacted my son, instructing him to start making some savings for his father’s release,” she explained.

Reverend Philip Jedian, the district superintendent of the church, reacting to the incident, said it is a case too many. He then called on the state government and security agencies to wake up to the responsibility of protection of lives and property.

Kidnapping in Taraba State is on the increase and residents are optimistic that with the commencement of operation Ayem Akpatuma peace will once again reign in the state.

Reverend Solomon’s abduction is coming five days after the state Governor Darius Ishaku disclosed that no fewer than 100 persons have been abducted within nine months in the state.

Norwegian Millionaire’s Wife Kidnapped, Ransom Demanded

This undated handout provided by the Norwegian police shows wife of Norwegian multi-millionaire Tom Hagen, Anne-Elisabeth Falkevik.  Handout / AFP / Norwegian Police

 

The wife of a Norwegian multi-millionaire missing for 10 weeks is believed to have been kidnapped and a large ransom has been demanded her release, local media reported on Wednesday.

Married to a businessman who made his fortune in real estate and the energy sector, 68-year-old Anne-Elisabeth Falkevik disappeared on October 31, the Verdens Gang (VG) newspaper said.

A ransom demand for nine million euros ($10.3 million) in cryptocurrency has been issued for her release, VG said.

The kidnappers have threatened to use violence against her if her family does not meet their demands, Norway’s newspaper of reference Aftenposten said, adding that there had been limited contact with the suspects.

Events like this are extremely rare in the wealthy Scandinavian country, which enjoys a generally low crime rate.

Norwegian police confirmed that “a woman in her late 60s is believed to have been kidnapped from her home in Lorenskog”, around 20 kilometers (12 miles) from Oslo, but did not disclose her identity.

Police were scheduled to hold a press conference later Wednesday.

The missing woman’s husband, Tom Hagen, 68, is Norway’s 172nd richest man, according to the magazine Kapital, with an estimated fortune of 1.7 billion kroner (174 million euros, $200 million).

A real estate investor, he owns 70 percent of electricity company Elkraft which he co-founded in 1992, Norwegian media reported.

AFP

We Didn’t Pay A Dime To Free Dapchi Girls, FG Reacts To UN Report

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed

 

The Federal Government has rejected a report by the United Nations, which claimed it paid a “large ransom” to secure the release of the abducted Dapchi schoolgirls.

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, denied the claim in a statement on Thursday night.

He challenged anyone with evidence of such payment to publish it.

”It is not enough to say that Nigeria paid a ransom, little or huge. There must be a conclusive evidence to support such claim. Without that, the claim remains what it is: a mere conjecture,” the Minister was quoted as saying in a statement by his Special Adviser, Segun Adeyemi.

A United Nations report submitted to the Security Council had detailed how Boko Haram was funded and indicated that the payment of ransom and the predominance of cash economy aided the terrorists.


READ ALSO: Boko Haram Funded By Charitable Donations, Extortion, Others – UN


The report, dated July 27, 2018, was called ’22nd Report of the Analytical Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team’ and it contained information about the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant – ISIL – (Da’esh), Al-Qaida and associated individuals and entities.

Concerning the insurgency in the country, it said, “In Nigeria, 111 schoolgirls from the town of Dapchi were kidnapped on 18 February 2018 and released by ISWAP on 21 March 2018 in exchange for a large ransom payment.”

The Nigerian Government has, however, rejected it.

On March 21, when the girls were released, the minister had issued a statement explaining that their release was unconditional.

Abductors Of Ondo Monarch’s Wife Demand N20m Ransom

Suspected Pirates Shoot Pregnant Woman In Bayelsa
File photo of a gunman.

 

The abductors of the wife of Alauga of Auga-Akoko in Ondo State have contacted the victims’ family, demanding N20million ransom.

The traditional ruler, Oba Samuel Agunloye told journalists on Tuesday that the abductors contacted him through a phone call to demand the ransom.

The traditional ruler’s wife Olukemi Agunloye was abducted on Sunday alongside and her driver while travelling on Auga-Ise Akoko road in Akoko North East Local Government Area of Ondo State.

READ ALSO: Adamawa Killings: Military Arrests Five Over Reprisal On Fulani Community

Eyewitnesses informed Oba Agunloye about the abduction after seeing his vehicle abandoned with the abductors making away with his wife and driver.

Spokesman of Ondo State Police Command, Femi Joseph said the police is not aware of the demand that the abductors have demanded a ransom but an investigation is still ongoing on the crime.

Kidnappers Of Delta Traditional Ruler Demand N15m Ransom

Suspected Pirates Shoot Pregnant Woman In Bayelsa
File photo

 

Kidnappers of a traditional ruler in Delta State, Obi of Ogodo of Aniocha North Local Government Area, Sunday Olisewokwu, have demanded the sum of N15 million ransom.

The traditional ruler who is also the Chairman of Aniocha North traditional rulers committee was abducted by gunmen after his palace was invaded over the weekend.

READ ALSO: 210 Inmates Escaped From Niger Prison – Dambazau

The kidnappers eventually contacted the family on Monday and demanded the N15million ransom to be delivered by 6:00 pm.

The police spokesperson in the state, Andrew Aniamaka had earlier confirmed the kidnap noting that police officers were already in search of the victim in a nearby bush where he is suspected to have been held hostage.

Evans Trial: Witness Narrates How He Paid £223,000 As Ransom

Kidnap Victim Narrates Ordeal As Evans’ Trial Continues
This file photo shows Evans after he was arrested in 2017.

 

The trial of suspected kidnapper, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike popularly known as Evans continued today at the Lagos High Court Sitting in Ikeja with the testimony of the third prosecution witness, Uchenna Okeagwu.

Okeagwu explained to the court on Friday that he paid Evans the sum of £223,000 for the ransom of his boss, Donatus Duru.

While being led in evidence by the Director of Public Prosecution, Titilayo Shitta-Bey, Okeagwu said he was instructed by the kidnappers to drop the money inside a vehicle parked inside a compound somewhere around Mile 2.

“I am a manager at Maydon pharmaceutical company and have been working with them for over seven years. After we heard of the kidnap of Duru, we waited to hear from the kidnappers so we will know what to do to rescue him.

“As the manager of the Idumota branch, we worked towards raising money for the kidnappers when they asked for ransom. After about two months, I was called by Anselm Duru, Donatus’ brother to come and deliver the money to the kidnappers that they have raised £223,000.

“After counting the money, we put it in a polythene bag and wrapped it very well with sellotape and I went with the money. Anselm gave me his telephone that they would use it to direct me to where I would take the ransom to.

“I started receiving calls with the phone from the kidnappers saying I should make no mistakes that if I do, I would be shot. I was asked if I know the way towards Mile 2 and I said yes, I went with the money inside the vehicle, putting the money under the passengers’ seat in the front and I moved out of the compound towards Mile 2,” he explained.

READ ALSO: Death Of Nigerian Diplomat In Sudan, ‘Criminal Act’ – Police

During cross-examination, defence counsel for the first, second, third and fourth defendants, Olukoya Ogungbeje, asked if he saw anybody when he dropped the ransom or gave it to anybody directly, the witness said no.

Evans, Uche Amadi, Ogechi Uchechukwu, Okwuchukwu Nwachukwu, Chilaka Ifeanyi, and Victor Aduba are facing a two-count charge of conspiracy and kidnapping before Hakeem Oshodi, a judge of the Ikeja Division of the Lagos State High Court.

Duru was the last victim allegedly kidnapped by the group before their arrest in June last year.

Evans had initially pleaded guilty to the charge of kidnapping but later reversed his plea.

Earlier, Mr Ogungbeje had told the court that he would refrain from further cross-examining the 2nd witness, Donatus Duru, who was the victim of the kidnap.

He told the court that the witness was refusing to answer his questions but preferred instead to give answers to questions he had formulated in his mind.

In response to his statement, the judge said, “It is quite unfortunate that the legal counsel can make such statement that the witness is not answering his questions, but it is his prerogative to conduct defence as he deems fit.

Further proceedings in the matter has been adjourned till June 22.

Meet Man Who Kidnapped Himself And Asked For Ransom

Meet Man Who Kidnapped Himself And Asked For RansomThe Delta State Police Command recently held a press briefing at the Police headquarters in Asaba where it showcased some breakthroughs recorded in delivering on its core mandate of apprehension of crime suspects.

Suspects involved in armed robbery, kidnapping, cultism, homicide were all paraded but the case of a self kidnapper and adulteration of popular alcoholic drinks stood out.

One Justice Ifeanyi aged 21 years allegedly planned to kidnap himself with intent to extort money from his uncle.

According to the Police, it was revealed that he planned his own kidnap and made a ransom demand of four million naira to secure his release

The suspect confessed to the crime.

“I left Rivers for Delta state to plan my kidnap so that I can collect money from my uncle to complete my father’s house in the village.

“The gang began to threaten me when my uncle refused to pay the ransom so I had to run away.”

The Police also apprehended a 39-year-old man who was caught in the act of packaging adulterated alcoholic drinks for sale to the public.

The suspect whom the Police said has already been charged to court, is identified as Ugochukwu Alozie aged 39 years.

He had in his possession, bottles, cartons, labels of expensive brands of hot alcoholic drinks.

A total of 14 cases were recorded and 44 suspect arrested. Items recovered include guns, live ammunition and cartridges, vehicles, adulterated hot drinks amongst others.

 

Police Rescue 78 Year Old Man From Kidnapper’s Den

policeThe Oyo Police Command has uncovered a kidnapper’s den in Ajia village on the outskirts of Ibadan under Egbeda Local Government arresting 7 people in the process that led to the rescue of a 78 year old victim.

The den was under the control of a 32 year old female who had been living as a kidnapper for about four years, peddling her inhuman trade in several parts of the country including Lagos and Port Harcourt.

Oyo State Police Commissioner Mohammed Katsina disclosed that the arrests occurred after several hours of a gun battle between the kidnappers and the police at the scene of the crime.

The police launched Hell Wind to rescue the kidnapped victim through the coordinated attack from his ambush squad, after series of investigation.

The victim, P.A. Adebowale Omotosho told journalists that he was kidnapped at his home in Awe, Afijio Local Government Area of the state 3 days after his return from U.S.

The kidnappers demanded a ransom of 1million dollars from the family, got paid 10million naira and were in the process of milking the victim’s family for more when they were apprehended.

ACN Saddened By Vice Chairman’s Death

The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has said it is deeply saddened by the death of its national vice chairman and former deputy governor of Anambra State, Dr. Chuddy Nwike in the hands of those who kidnapped him last month.

In a statement issued in Ibadan on Friday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said the killing after a ransom had been paid to secure his release, is the height of cruelty and represents a debasement of our collective humanity.

It prayed that God will comfort the family of the departed and strengthen them to bear this unquantifiable loss and appealed to the Federal Government to take a decisive action to end the worsening insecurity in the country.

”Dr. Nwike is the latest victim of this mindless act of kidnapping for ransom, which is fast deteriorating with the killing of innocent victims even after their families would have paid a huge ransom to secure their release.

”This senseless act has not spared anyone, high or low, male or female, rich or poor. The fact that it has continued unabated is a sad commentary on the state of security in our nation. It is high time the authorities acted to stamp out this heinous crime,” ACN said.

The former deputy governor who has been in the hands of his abductors for about three weeks.

Confirming the killing, the ACN says the kidnappers had contacted the late Mr Nwike’s brother Bufo, demanding a ransom of 30 million dollars.

However, a sum of 5 million naira was negotiated and delivered to a location in delta state through a courier.

The party’s statement says “rather than release the ex-deputy governor, the kidnappers seized the money and the courier on April the 5th, cutting off all communication until the body was found.”

The ACN has asked the police to track down the abductors and killers of the politician and ensure they are brought to justice.

Release Our Brothers Boko Haram Tells Nigeria, Cameroun

Northern Islamic militant group, Boko Haram has released a video of a French family of seven kidnapped last month in Cameroun.

A man in this video who resembles past images of the person previously identified as Abubakar Shekau says in Arabic that the kidnapping of the French family was carried out because of the arrest of Boko Haram members of their family members in Nigeria and Cameroun.

“God sent us the French hostages …,” he says in what is called a message to the presidents of Nigeria, Cameroun and France.

In his words: “the proof that we are holding them is that our brothers and sisters were captured in Nigeria and Cameroun … We seek no money but the release of our brothers.”

Police Free Kidnappers Victims

The Imo state police command has invaded a kidnapper’s den in Eziachi community in Orlu local government area, where they arrested five kidnap kingpins and released three victims.

The Commissioner for Police, Mr Mohammed Katsina said, at a press briefing, that the information of the kidnapper’s hide-out was disclosed by one of the kidnappers Chika Nwaburije who was arrested few days ago while trying escape to Benin Republic.

He had been declared wanted by the Nigerian Police a week ago.

Mr Katsina added that as soon as Chika was arrested, he gave reasonable information to the police about their hide-out and where they keep their guns which enabled the police to apprehend the other members of the gang.

The suspects who confessed to be kidnappers disclosed that they also manufacture locally made guns and in the past six months have kidnapped 3 victims demanding up to sum of 1.5 million naira each.

However, Mr Katsina disclosed that the freed victims have been taken to the nearest hospital where they are receiving treatment.

Sekibo’s wife rescued from kidnappers

The wife of the Senator representing Rivers East Senatorial District, George Thompson Sekibo who was kidnapped last Thursday in Port Harcourt has been rescued, a family source said on Monday.

Senator George Thompson Sekibo whose wife was kidnapped by unknown gunmen in Port Harcourt.

Asime sekibo along with two other ladies was abducted under the Obiri Ikwerre Bridge (still under construction) along the East-West road at about 7:00pm, while returning from the University of Port Harcourt, Choba.

A reliable family source told Channels Television news that Mrs Sekibo was rescued from her abductors by security forces somewhere close to Bayelsa along the East-West road at about 5:30pm on Monday.

The family source, who preferred to remain anonymous, said no ransom was paid to the kidnappers, adding that the Senator’s wife has since been reunited with her family.

The spokesman of the Rivers state police command, Ben Ugwuegbulam (DSP), could not confirm the rescue of Mrs Sekibo. He said “I have heard of the development, but I’m still waiting for the details of how it happened”.

The Kidnappers had reportedly contacted Senator Sekibo to demand for an undisclosed amount of ransom money.