Police have arrested a 70-year-old man accused of raping a seven-year-old girl in Jigawa State.
The suspect, Ibrahim Nasaleh, is said to have committed the offence in Kiyawa Local Government Area of the state.
Mr Zubairu Ismail, who is the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, confirmed the arrest of Nasaleh to Channels Television on Thursday.
He noted that the suspect was arrested following a complaint lodged by the mother of the victim at a police station.
According to the command’s spokesman, the victim was rushed to the Sexual Assault and Referral Centre in Dutse, the state capital.
He disclosed that the suspect was apprehended by the police at about 1pm on Tuesday in Kiyawa town.
“The arrest was due to a report made by the mother of the victim who lives in Shuwarin Village, Kiyawa Local Government at the Divisional Police Headquarters, Kiyawa, that the said Ibrahim Nasaleh had carnal knowledge of her daughter who is just seven years of the same address in his house.
“The victim was quickly rushed to Sexual Assault Referral Center, Dutse for medical examination, while the case is still under investigation,” Zubairu said.
Recently, the state governor, Badaru Abubakar, assented to the Violence Against Person Prohibition Law, which approved the death penalty for rapists in Jigawa.
After nearly 10 years of legal battles that initially led to an acquittal, a former French government minister faces at least three years in prison after a court found him guilty of raping an employee during “foot massages” in his office and at the home of his co-defendant.
The conviction of Georges Tron, 63, comes as France is confronting a wave of sexual assault allegations that has pushed the government to promise tougher laws to protect victims and punish assailants.
Tron remained silent when the verdict was announced late Wednesday by a Paris appeals court after 11 hours of jury deliberation and handed his watch to his lawyer before police took him directly to prison to serve a five-year sentence, with two years suspended.
Tron was a cabinet minister under prime minister Francois Fillon when he was forced to resign in 2011 over allegations made by two women who worked for him while he was mayor of Draveil, outside Paris.
The women said that between 2007 and 2010, Tron, known for practicing reflexology as a hobby, imposed foot massage sessions that would involve groping and digital penetration, at times turning into threesomes with his deputy Brigitte Gruel.
Virginie Ettel and Eva Loubrieu testified that they felt powerless to resist the politician over fear of losing their jobs. Ettel later resigned, while Loubrieu was fired after being accused of theft.
But the court convicted Tron of raping only Ettel, saying he had applied “psychological constraint” because she was his direct subordinate at city hall.
Gruel was handed a suspended two-year sentence.
“This is a huge victory for all women who face problems in the workplace,” said Ettel’s lawyer Vincent Ollivier.
Tron was cleared of raping Loubrieu, who broke out in tears and rushed out of the courtroom upon hearing the verdict.
Tron and Gruel deny the allegations, which were rejected just over two years ago by a court that found no use of force and said the women appeared motivated by a desire for “vengeance.”
Tron’s lawyer at the time, Eric Dupond-Moretti, had declared “a victory for justice.”
But Dupond-Moretti, who is now President Emmanuel Macron’s justice minister, is spearheading the government’s pledge for tougher laws against sexual assault.
The country has been roiled by thousands of women breaking their silence since last year’s publication of “Consent” by Vanessa Springora, whose account of abuse by a prize-winning author while she was still a minor has just been translated to English.
A 32-year-old man, Tunde Bello has been arrested by the police for allegedly kidnapping and raping a 29-year-old lady in Ogun State.
This was disclosed in a statement issued on Friday by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Abimbola Oyeyemi,
The suspect was said to have held his victim hostage and then demanded the sum of ₦140,000 as ransom after raping her.
“While she was going to her office on that day, she boarded a Hyundai car at about 5:00 am from Ogunrun road Mowe to Lagos. But on getting to Mowe junction, the driver of the car made a detour to Ibadan road and drove her to a bush along Lagos-Ibadan express road where he beat her mercilessly before forcefully having carnal knowledge of her,” the statement read.
“After raping her, he held her hostage and asked her to call her relations to send the sum of ₦140,000 to him as ransom before he will let her go.
“She stated further that she had to call her brother who transferred ₦140,000 to her account; she also transferred to an account given to her by her abductor before she was released.”
The police spokesperson said upon her report, the Divisional Police Officer of Mowe division, Marvis Jayeola, mobilised his detectives to go after the suspect with the view to get him arrested.
“The intelligence and technical based investigation embarked upon by the detectives’ yielded positive results when the suspect who has been under surveillance was apprehended on the 16th of January 2021,” he added.
Oyeyemi explained that upon interrogation, the suspect confessed to the committing the crime.
Meanwhile, the State Commissioner of Police, Edward Ajogun, ordered the transfer of the suspect to the Anti-Kidnapping unit of the State Criminal Investigation and intelligence department for further investigation and prosecution.
Veteran Brazil international striker Robinho on Thursday had a nine-year sentence for the rape of a young woman upheld by a court in Italy.
Judges of the Milan Court of Appeal confirmed the sentence for both Robinho and one of his friends for group sexual violence dating back to January 2013.
Robinho was playing for AC Milan at the time of the attack and was tried in absentia in November 2017.
The pair were among a group of six men accused of taking part in the gang rape of a 22-year-old Albanian woman in a Milan nightclub.
They were both ordered to jointly pay the woman damages of 60,000 euros ($73,000).
The case against the four other accused has been suspended.
READ ALSO: Pogba Ranked Among Top 10 Error-Prone Players in EPL
Robinho, 36, who has denied the charges, has the right to again appeal the sentence within 90 days.
Robinho was forced to pull out of a move back to his first club Santos last October amid pressure brought to bear on the Brazilian club by sponsors.
Television channel Globo Sports released excerpts of a recording Italian prosecutors used to secure their conviction, in which the player purportedly says, “I’m laughing because I don’t care. The woman was completely drunk. She doesn’t even know what happened.”
Robinho started his career at Santos in 2002 and joined Real Madrid in 2005, then going on to play for Manchester City from 2008 to 2010, and Milan for four years until 2014.
He also played in China with Guangzhou Evergrande, Atletico Mineiro in Spain, and the Turkish club İstanbul Basaksehir.
He has 100 Brazil caps and 28 goals for his country.
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has raised concern over the increasing cases of rape and gender violence in Niger State.
Addressing reporters on Thursday, NHRC Coordinator in Niger, Nuhu Mohammed, noted that at least 60 cases were reported to the commission annually.
Mohammed, who led a rally in Minna to mark this year’s 16 Days of Activism, stated that the figure could be higher if victims of rape and gender violence were reporting to relevant authorities.
He decried that despite the awareness in place, people still prefer to settle rape cases at home instead of seeking legal redress, a development which he said gave reason for perpetrators to continue to carry out the heinous crime.
“We have received a number of cases. The last submission we submitted to our national office was 20 cases of rape and domestic violence,” the NHRC coordinator said.
He added, “We don’t receive less than five cases on a monthly basis; those are the ones reported, some don’t like to report.
“But even those who report, by the time we want to take the necessary action before you know the victims would go behind the back door and ask for a withdrawal of their case. This is a major setback to the fight against rape and gender violence.”
Mohammed, however, gave an assurance that the NHRC would use the occasion to raise more awareness and pay advocacy visits to relevant bodies that would help in the fight against rape.
He explained that the march was organised to create more awareness for residents to see rape as a crime against the state and should not be settled at home.
“Families need to know that hiding a case of rape is an act of wickedness, especially to the victim who will continue to die in silence.
“But if the perpetrator is exposed and justice is sought for the victim, it will encourage more victims to speak up when they are violated,” the NHRC coordinator said.
On her part, the chairperson of the Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) in Niger, Christiana Barau, commended the Federal Government for signing into law the Violence Against Persons (VAP) Act.
She believes the VAP law will further strengthen the fight against rape and other gender violence offences and stressed the need for enforcement of all the relevant laws against rape.
Barau said, “The VAP law is a right step in the right direction. It has further expanded the issue of rape and gender violence to cover not just females but all persons.
“The VAP law has also expanded the definition of rape, which means that even penetration with finger and any object is recognised as rape.”
“So, the law is a welcome development as far as FIDA is concerned. We only hope that the VAP law and all the relevant laws that are in place to fight rape are adequately enforced and that offenders are handed due punishment to serve as a deterrent to the entire society,” she added.
The Director-General of the Niger State Child’s Rights Agency, Maryam Kolo, who represented the governor’s wife, Dr Amina Abubakar, and representatives of some civil society organisations in the state participated in the march.
Nine suspected serial rapists have been arrested by police in Katsina State.
All from Kwadage village in Mai’adua Local Government Area of the state, the suspects are reported to have serially raped a 14-year-old girl.
The Police Spokesman, Gambo Isah disclosed this on Wednesday at the command headquarters, Katsina in a press briefing to showcase the recent achievements made by the command in the fight against Banditry, Kidnapping, Cattle rustling, and other forms of crime and criminality in the state.
According to Isah, “the fact of the rape case was that on 06/11/2020 at about 14:20hrs, one Mua’zu Yakubu m, aged 40 years of Kwadage village of Mai’adua Local Government Area of the state reported at Mai’adua Division that at different dates and times the nine suspects comprising 60-year-old man, Musa Haru all of the same address lured his daughter of the same address and had an unlawful carnal knowledge of her.”
“In the course of the investigation, suspects confessed to the commission of the offense. Victims were taken to the comprehensive health center, Mai’adua for medical examination which shows that suspect, Shafi’u Mamman, and the victim have tested positive for HIV.”
The police command also said it had arrested 16 other notorious suspects in connection with various crimes ranging from banditry, armed robbery, kidnapping, and cattle rustling.
Before their arrest, the suspects were reportedly hibernating at Illela forest, terrorising Safana, Batsari, Katsina, and Dandume Local Government Areas of the state.
Also arrested was a 24-year-old Indian hemp dealer, Isiya Lawal of Makama road in Dandume Local Government Area of the state and recovery of a large number of dried leaves suspected to be Indian hemp.
Authorities in Pakistan’s most populous province on Saturday banned an outdated medical procedure in which rape victims are subjected to an invasive physical examination.
The move comes after critics of the “two-finger test” this year sued the government of Punjab province, home to about 110 million people, in a bid to stop the practice dating back to the time of British colonial rule.
Proponents of the internal examination claim it can assess a woman’s sexual promiscuity and her “honour”, and whether she had been “habituated to sexual intercourse”.
Backlash to the test has been growing in recent years, with critics saying it provides zero useful information and is traumatic for rape victims.
Punjab health authorities in September admitted the test held “limited evidentiary value” but the practice continued.
Saturday’s ban, which takes immediate effect across Punjab, effectively preempts the ongoing court case.
A similar case is also underway in the southern province of Sindh with momentum growing for a nationwide ban.
Welcoming Punjab’s ban, Sidra Humayun, a case manager for survivors of sexual and gender-based violence, told AFP it would be a challenge to ensure compliance by medical workers.
The mentality that still “links the reliability of a rape victim’s claims to her virtue and honour” in legal cases also must be addressed, she added.
The World Health Organization has declared the test “unscientific, medically unnecessary and unreliable”.
Neighbouring India banned the two-finger test in 2013 and Bangladesh followed suit in 2018.
Sameer Khosa, the lawyer behind Punjab’s court petition, welcomed the ban but said other problematic practices such as virginity testing through the examination of the hymen are still being performed.
Pakistan is a deeply conservative and patriarchal nation where victims of sexual abuse often are too afraid to speak out, or where police frequently fail to investigate cases seriously.
The rape and murder in Algeria of a 19-year-old woman sparked cries for action on gender-based violence in the North African country and calls to bring back capital punishment.
The body of the young woman, identified as Chaima, was found in early October at a deserted petrol station in Thenia, 80 kilometres (50 miles) east of the capital Algiers.
She had been beaten, raped and burned alive, according to local media.
The suspect, who has reportedly confessed, is being charged with “rape and voluntary homicide with premeditation and ambush, using torture”.
Chaima’s mother said the man was an acquaintance of the family, against whom the young woman had previously pressed rape charges in 2016.
The killing set off a wave of outrage on social media in Algeria, where internet users condemned the “heinous” crime and demanded justice, with many calling for the death penalty, under moratorium in the country since 1993.
A message shared widely online reads: “I am Chaima, I was raped in 2016 and I had the courage to press charges in a conservative society. I am still Chaima, it is 2020 and I have again been raped by the same rapist, who stabbed and burned me. #IAmChaima.”
– Death penalty –
In a video that circulated on social networks and was picked up by local TV stations, Chaima’s mother directly addressed Algeria’s President Abdelmadjid Tebboune and demanded the execution of the perpetrator.
Many Algerians also took to social media in support of reinstating the death penalty.
“Execution should be applied to the killer, to be an example for all those who think of doing the same thing,” one Twitter user wrote.
Another said: “We must open the debate on the death penalty, the monster who killed her has no place in society or in prison.”
But others in the country rejected execution as the best way to deter femicide, the gender-related killing of women and girls.
Femicides Algeria, a group that tracks such homicides, said: “It is not through the death penalty that we will give her (Chaima) justice, it is rather the law that must be changed and applied.”
The activists have counted 38 femicides in Algeria so far this year.
They recorded 60 in 2019, noting on their website that with so many cases going unreported or unconfirmed, the actual number “is much higher”.
– ‘Break the silence’ –
Hassina Oussedik, director for human rights group Amnesty International in Algeria, told AFP that “the death penalty is not a deterrent”.
“It is discriminatory and does not protect the most vulnerable.”
She added it was necessary to “change mentalities and the judicial system for the psychological and legal care of victims, launch national awareness campaigns, open shelters and train the various institutions”.
The Free and Independent Women’s Collective of Bejaia, a city on Algeria’s northeast coast, said Chaima’s killing “adds to the long list of femicides, which continues to grow in the face of complicit silence, the justification of violence and the absence of real measures”.
To “break the silence”, the collective called for a protest on Thursday in Bejaia.
The calls for action and solidarity have spread across the country.
The Algerian Women for Change Toward Equality group also organised a rally on Thursday, in Algiers, to “denounce the heinous crimes” that led to Chaima’s death and those of the 38 women killed this year.
India’s federal investigators will take over the probe into the alleged gang-rape and murder of a low-caste teenaged woman that has sparked nationwide outrage and days of protests.
The 19-year-old woman from the marginalised Dalit community was attacked in mid-September in northern Uttar Pradesh state and died on Tuesday, in the latest case highlighting India’s epidemic of sexual violence.
Five senior police officers have already been suspended over the investigation amid criticism of law enforcement’s actions — including the cremation of the woman’s body in the middle of the night against the wishes of her family.
The chief minister of the state — India’s most populous with 200 million people — announced the decision to transfer the probe to the Central Bureau of Investigation late Saturday.
“We are committed to giving the strictest punishment to the people responsible for this incident,” Yogi Adityanath, who is from the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), wrote on Twitter.
The police have arrested four high-caste men on the charges of gang-rape and murder.
Local authorities barricaded the village after the cremation to block opposition politicians and media from meeting the victim’s family.
The decision was reversed Saturday after widespread criticism.
The involvement of leaders of the opposition Congress party, Priyanka and Rahul Gandhi, in several demonstrations, has sparked accusations from the BJP that they were politicising the issue.
The young woman’s death comes months after four men were hanged for 2012 gang-rape and murder of a student on a bus in New Delhi, in a case that shook the nation.
An average of nearly 90 rapes were reported in India every day last year, according to data by the National Crime Records Bureau, but large numbers are thought to go unreported.
India’s 200 million low-caste Dalits have long faced discrimination, and campaigners say attacks have increased during the coronavirus pandemic.