Two Kenyan rugby sevens players, Frank Wanyama and Alex Olaba, appeared in a Nairobi court on Monday charged with the February gang rape of a female singer.
Wanyama, 23, who captained Kenya’s second sevens team to win the Victoria Sevens tournament in Zimbabwe in March, and Olaba, 22, are both suspended from the national squad currently in Singapore for the eighth leg of the IRB World Sevens series on April 28-29.
Both players denied the charges when they appeared before Nairobi chief magistrate Francis Andayi. If found guilty they could face up to 15 years in prison.
Wanyama and Olaba were released on bail and ordered to appear in court for the next hearing on May 16.
A former South Korean presidential contender was indicted Wednesday on charges of raping his aide multiple times in the highest-profile case of the country’s growing #MeToo movement.
Ahn Hee-jung — who was widely seen as a strong contender to replace President Moon Jae-in when his term ends in 2022 — was formally charged with rape and sexual harassment by abuse of power, a spokesman at the Seoul Western District Prosecutors’ Office said.
The spokesman said Ahn’s first hearing is expected next month.
Prosecutors opened an investigation into Ahn after his aide said in a television interview that he had raped her four times since she was hired last June.
Fighting back tears, Kim Ji-eun, who was Ahn’s personal assistant before becoming an aide in civil affairs, said last month that she had been unable to reject her boss in the rigid hierarchy of her office.
The 54-year-old politician has since stepped down from his post as the governor of South Chungcheong province and issued a formal apology but has claimed the sex was “consensual”.
But detailed accounts from the victim as well as testimonies from witnesses provided evidence of Ahn’s crimes, an official at the prosecutors’ office told Yonhap news agency.
A second woman had come forward shortly after Kim’s interview but prosecutors said her case will be excluded due to lack of evidence.
Ahn will not be physically detained as the court has denied the prosecutors’ demand for an arrest warrant.
It has been an astonishing fall from grace for Ahn, who enjoyed huge popularity among young, liberal voters thanks to his wholesome image and good looks.
Ahn came second to Moon in the contest for the ruling Democratic Party’s presidential nomination last year and was seen as a favourite for the next elections.
Ahn threw his support behind the #MeToo campaign against abuse of women in a public speech made just hours before Kim appeared on live TV to talk about the sex abuse she allegedly suffered at his hands.
Victims of sex abuse in patriarchal South Korea are reluctant to come forward due to fears of public shaming.
But Seo Ji-Hyeon, a prosecutor, in January made the rare move of appearing on live TV to talk about sex abuse by her superior.
Her interview opened a floodgate of similar revelations by women who accused figures including politicians, actors and film directors.
One person has been killed with several property destroyed in Tanglang community in Biliri Local Government Area of Gombe State, north-east Nigeria.
The incident occurred after angry youths went on a rampage, disrupting police investigation into an alleged rape case of a four-year-old girl in the community.
Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Shina Olukolu, confirmed the incident during an interview with Channels Television on Sunday.
He said the youths burnt the police vehicle that conveyed the policemen deployed to the area for the investigation.
Mr Olukolu explained that some ammunition that exploded from the vehicle while it was burning killed one of the restive youths.
He, however, said the case was already in court while three persons have also been arrested and charge to court.
The father of the victim, Mr Matthew Nwabike, an Igbo man, said he has been living with his family in Tanglang for almost a decade.
He had also alleged that his daughter, Precious, was defiled by one Sham Sunday who lives in the neighbourhood.
The angry youth were also said to have vandalised Matthew’s shop, while the house and shop of his elder brother, Ephraim, who lives in another community were completely set ablaze.
When contacted about the matter, the District head of Tanlang, Mr Audu Tahir, said the youths acted base on an investigation carried out by some women of the area which proved the minor was not defiled as alleged.
But the police commissioner noted that the youths acted in ignorance, stressing that the police established that the minor was actually defiled through the help of a qualified medical doctor in course of their investigation.
On his part, the President General of Igbos in the state, Kenneth Okonkwo, said the entire Igbo community in Gombe had been living peacefully with its host community.
He was, however, worried that the victim’s father and his brother have become refugees in the community as they lack food, clothes and other means of livelihoods since the unfortunate incident.
Okonkwo then pleaded with the state government and other spirited individuals to come to the aid of the affected persons as they await justice in the case.
The chief of Igbos in Biliri LGA, Mr Egwe Charles, also faulted the reaction of the angry youths, saying they had gone too far by taking the laws in their hands without allowing the security agencies to investigate the incident.
Women from Okuni Community in Ikom Local Government Area of Cross River state on Monday, took to the streets to demand justice for a woman who was gang-raped in the presence of her husband.
Numbering over one thousand, the women, dressed in black, commenced their peaceful march at the police station in Ikom and proceeded to the Local Government Council.
According to them, the incident took place on November 6, 2017, when gunmen attacked the victim on the farm, and they are coming out to protest after watching the months go by with no justice.
Beyond raping the woman, the gang was said to have stolen 12 bags of cocoa from others on the farm.
Giving an account of the incident to Channels Television, one of the women leaders of the community, Maria Akpet, said the woman who was raped, her husband and some other families had gone to spend the night on their farms.
According to her, in the middle of the night, some armed boy attacked them.
“They brought out the (woman’s) husband, and other men that were inside there and started beating them,” she said.
“Then they took out their wives, tied the husband and then they raped the wife before the man and then the cocoa that these boys plucked and kept, they stole everything.”
The community reported the matter to the police but are unhappy with how it was treated.
“These two cases – the rape and theft – were reported to the police but in the long run, the file for rape got missing. The only file left was for stealing the cocoa,” Akpet said.
She added that one of the culprits who was earlier arrested after the incident was released on bail without adequate sanctions by the police.
The protesting community residents, therefore, appealed to the Commissioner of Police and all relevant authorities to wade into the issue and ensure that the rape victim gets justice.
Beyond that, the community is eager to avoid a repeat of the attack and rape.
Akpet explained their concerns, saying, “We know that, tomorrow, it might happen to another person again – especially those spinsters that don’t have husbands; they can even rape and kill them.
“That is why we are annoyed, the women are annoyed. Why should they hide that file for rape and produce only the one for stealing?”
She added, “That is why we came out today to say today is a black Monday and the women want to put a stop to it. Even if people are being bribed, they cannot bribe in such a case of rape. That is why we want to move to the police then the SSS, the council and then the ministry of justice with our placards and then to tell them of our grievances.”
A Lagos State High Court has sent a strong message against perpetrators of sexual abuse.
Justice Josephine Oyefeso ruled that “paedophiles must be kept away from the society, as violating a child is barbaric, immoral, and devoid of any sound reasoning”.
The judge made this pronouncement in her judgement on Tuesday as she sentenced a 35-year-old man, Okechukwu Nwachukwu to life imprisonment for defiling an eight-year-old.
Justice Oyefeso convicted Nwachukwu of the offence of child defilement contrary to section 137 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2015.
The convict was arraigned before the court on two counts of defiling two girls aged seven and eight. He was however convicted only on the charge of defiling the eight-year-old.
During trial, one of the girls, in her testimony, had told the court that she was standing on the road around their house waiting for her school’s bus when she saw the uncle she referred to as “Uncle Okey” coming.
She said she pleaded with him to carry her up to see if her school bus was coming.
But the defendant instead carried her into the kitchen of an uncompleted building, and defiled her.
A medical doctor at Mirabel Centre, Lagos who conducted tests on the girls confirmed that one of them had bruises in her private part while one did not, but added that the absence of bruises does not mean that there was no penetration or rape, especially when the act had taken long like it had in this case.
The convict, Nwachukwu, however, denied having sex with the girls. He admitted though that he touched one of the girls’ lap, removed her pants and penetrated her with his finger.
He had no witness to call in his defence.
Delivering judgement in the matter, Justice Oyefeso considered three issues; “One was whether the victim was a child, which according to the Lagos State Child Rights Law, is a person under the age of 18 years.
Two, to determine if there was penetration.
Three, corroboration of the victim’s evidence by an independent witness”.
Justice Oyefeso referred to a case decided by the Supreme Court whereby the court stated that “violating a child was barbaric, immoral and devoid of any reason whatsoever and paedophiles must be kept away”.
The judge also considered the emotional and physical pains the child must have been put through. She resolved all these issues against the defendant and sentenced him to life imprisonment in accordance with Section 137 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State.
A 52-year old man Mr Gabriel Olaniyan has been brought before an Ibadan Magistrate Court sitting in Iyaganku area of Oyo State for allegedly raping a 9-year old girl.
Olaniyan was arraigned before Chief Magistrate, Mrs N.A.J. Ogunbon on one count of defiling the minor.
The prosecutor, Mrs Folake Ewe, told the court that the accused committed the offence on March 1 at about 5:00 pm at Alapafon Area of Ibadan.
Ewe said the offence was contrary to and punishable under Section 218 of the criminal code CAP 38 (Volume II) Laws of Oyo State, Nigeria (2000).
When asked to explain the reasons behind his actions, Olaniyan pleaded with the court saying that he erroneously used N10 biscuit to lure the innocent girl.
The magistrate who rejected his plea, condemned the act and lamented the increasing cases of pedophilia.
Also Giving an account of the events that led to the incident, the victim’s father, Mr Adeleke, told the court that his daughter was on her way back from a Quranic school when she was allegedly accosted by Olaniyan and eventually raped.
Furthermore, he told the that he was separated with Fatia’s mother and had remarried another woman under whose care his daughter was.
Ogunbon urged parents to always monitor their children and take good care of them to in order to prevent them from being molested by rapists and other undesirable elements in the society.
The magistrate also advised the minor’s father to either return her to her mother or take her to a responsible relation for proper care.
Subsequently, she ordered that the accused be remanded in Agodi Prison pending legal advice from the Director of Public Prosecution. The case was eventually adjourned till April 5, 2018.
A former actress accused Harvey Weinstein Friday of unzipping his pants and forcing himself on her, as a separate alleged victim publicly repeated rape allegations she had made in a newspaper interview.
Heather Kerr, who appeared on 1980s US sitcom “The Facts of Life,” claims Weinstein attacked her during a private meeting when she was an aspiring actress in her 20s.
“He asked me if I was good. I started to tell him about my training and my acting experience and he said, ‘No. I need to know if you’re good,'” Kerr, who is now 56 and lives in Washington state, told a news conference.
“He said that if he was going to introduce me around town to directors and producers, he needed to know if I was any good. He kept repeating that word.”
Kerr described 65-year-old Weinstein’s “sly, sleazy smile” as she offered to provide a reel of her acting work, recalling how she started to get a sick feeling in her stomach.
“The next thing I knew, he unzipped his fly and pulled out his penis,” she said, adding that Weinstein forced her hand onto his genitals.
“I was frozen with fear, trying to remain calm, trying not to freak out, because, after all, there was nobody else in the office,” she said during an emotional statement, consoled by her attorney Gloria Allred as she broke down.
– ‘Greatest regret’ –
Kerr described how she pulled her hand away “as casually as possible,” but said Weinstein told her that “this is how things work in Hollywood,” and that all actresses who’d made it did it this way.
The veteran producer, who resigned from the board of The Weinstein Company this week, having already been sacked as its co-chairman, has so far denied all allegations of forcing himself on his accusers.
An Italian model and actress who says Weinstein raped her after dragging her into the bathroom of her hotel suite in Beverly Hills in 2013 also spoke out about the attack Friday, through her lawyer Dave Ring.
The incident occurred at the Mr C Beverly Hills hotel after she attended the 8th annual Los Angeles, Italia Film, Fashion and Art Fest in February 2013, according to the attorney.
“He bullied his way into her room. She has told me that obviously, her greatest regret is opening that door. She had no idea what was coming,” Ring told a news conference in downtown LA.
The actress, who is exercizing her right to anonymity, first spoke of the attack to the LA Times on Thursday, saying Weinstein had turned up at her hotel “without warning.”
“Once inside, he asked me questions about myself, but soon became very aggressive and demanding and kept asking to see me naked,” the Times quoted her as saying.
“He grabbed me by the hair and forced me to do something I did not want to do. He then dragged me to the bathroom and forcibly raped me.”
– ‘Extremely scared’ – Ring told reporters the incident “had a humongous, huge impact” on the mother-of-three, who is now 38.
“In a sense, she’s relieved to have come forward now, to be able to share what happened with the LAPD, but she’s also extremely scared, and rightfully so. She’s a mom. She has young children.”
He didn’t elaborate on the details given in the newspaper interview, however, saying he did not want to jeopardize the investigation.
Los Angeles police have confirmed they are looking into the case — the sixth rape allegation against Weinstein — adding to criminal investigations already underway in New York and London.
The latest case deepens the producer’s potential legal woes as it falls within the 10-year statute of limitations for the crime, while previous accusations have dated back to a decade or more ago.
Weinstein has become a Hollywood pariah since allegations about his sexual misconduct first emerged last week and he was kicked out of Hollywood’s motion picture academy.
The Television Academy’s governors voted late Thursday to begin “disciplinary proceedings” that could see Weinstein ousted from that organization as well, leaving him with no voting rights for either the Oscars or the Emmys, while the Producer’s Guild is considering following suit.
Filmmaker Quentin Tarantino, who has worked closely with Weinstein for most of his career, admitted in an interview published Thursday he had known for decades about some of Weinstein’s alleged sexual misconduct.
A 40 year old man has been arrested by the men of Ogun State Police Command for allegedly having carnal knowledge with a 7-year-old girl.
According to the police, the suspect Ezekiel Adegbenga was arrested at No.4 Olufunmi Ajayi street Iyana Ilogbo Ota following a complaint from the mother of the victim.
“The mother of the victim reported at Sango Police Station that the suspect who is their neighbour lured the victim into his room under the pretence of sending her on errand and had carnal knowledge of her while the Parents are away at work.”
“Upon her complaint, the Divisional Police Officer SP Akinsola Ogunwale detailed detectives to the scene where the suspect was promptly arrested. He has since owned up to the commission of the offence after been confronted by the victim.” the police public relations said.
He however said that the Commissioner of Police CP Ahmed Iliyasu has directed that the suspect be transferred to Anti-Human Trafficking and Child Labour Unit of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department for further investigation and prosecution of the suspect.
A 29-year-old man, Godwin Jeremiah has been remanded at the Akure prison, for allegedly raping a 13-year-old girl.
The accused, who was brought before Magistrate Mrs A.I Ajayi, of the Akure Magistrate Court sitting at Oke-Eda, is facing two counts of assault and having carnal knowledge of the child.
He is said to have committed the offence which is contrary to and punishable under Sections 360 and 221(1) of the Criminal Code Cap 37 Volume 1 Laws of Ondo State of Nigeria 2006, on August 6, 2017.
Meanwhile, Police prosecutor, Sergeant Uloh Goodluck Okokon, brought a remand application urging the court to remand the accused in Olokuta prison while stating that the victim was still in the hospital receiving treatment.
Although the counsel to the accused, Barr. Olaniran Oladapo did not oppose the application, he prayed the court to adjourn the case so as to enable him reply the application of the prosecutor.
Magistrate Ajayi, subsequently ordered the remand of Jeremiah in prison custody and adjourned the case till August 17, 2017 for his remand application.