South Korea’s Constitutional Court has thrown out 60-year-old statute outlawing adultery under which those found guilty face up to two years in prison.
The nine-member bench ruled by seven to two says the 1953 law was unconstitutional in a judgement handed down on Thursday.
The court held that adultery was a private matter in which the State should not intervene.
According to the presiding judge, Park Han-Chul “even if adultery should be condemned as immoral, state power should not intervene in individuals’ private lives.”
It was the fifth time the Apex court had considered the constitutional legality of the legislation which had made South Korea one of the few non-Muslim countries to regard marital infidelity as a criminal act.
In the past six years, close to 5,500 people have been formerly arraigned on adultery charges – including nearly 900 in 2014.
The numbers had been falling, with cases that end in prison terms increasingly rare.
In 2004, 216 people were jailed under the law in 2004. That figure had dropped to 42 by 2008, and since then only 22 have found themselves behind bars, according to figures from the state prosecution office.
A survey conducted by condom manufacturer, Durex, in which 29,000 people in 36 countries were interviewed has ranked Nigerian women as the most unfaithful in the world. According to the survey, Thailand men are the most unfaithful in the world, with 54 percent of them admitting to cheating on their spouses. South Korea came in second with 34 percent, while Malaysia ranked number three with 33 percent.
The survey revealed that the top two countries with cheating women are Nigeria, with 62 percent, and Thailand, 59 percent.
39 percent of Malaysian women also confessed to having betrayed their partners. Russian women came fourth at 33 percent while Singaporeans are fifth at 19 percent.
An independent survey also conducted in Africa by AE affirms the fact that Nigeria with a polulation of over 160 million tops the chart for cheating women. Corruption and a general distrust amognst citizens is largely responsible for this.
Exit-bound Stamford Bridge striker; Didier Drogba has anointed Fernando Torres as the next forward man to shine next season with Chelsea after he finally confirmed his exit from the club today.
The Spaniard was described by the Ivorien as the next big thing that will emerge from Chelsea.
Drogba who was the hero during the Champions League Final played in Munich as Chelsea emerged first time winners of the title, scored the equalising goal and the penalty shot that sealed victory for the Stamford Bridge confirmed his exit from Stamford Bridge just four days after said he really doesn’t know why he was never paired with the Spaniard upfront more often.
Torres, signed for £50m from Liverpool in January 2011, has failed to hold down a regular starting spot in his first full season in west London and earlier this week said he wants reassurances over his role at the club from Chelsea’s owners.
But Drogba, 34, is convinced the Spain striker will stay at Stamford Bridge and has backed him to shine next season.
The Ivorien said his relationship with Torres is very good but he’s still bothered why they weren’t paired on field most time which said he is leaving in the past because he is moving on.
Giving his opinion on what he feels about Torres’ fitness this season he said it’s been a difficult season for him but he showed in a few games but he is very sure that next season is going to be his season for he is the future here at Stamford Bridge.
“We have a very good relationship and we didn’t understand why we didn’t play together more, but that’s the past.