FIFA Crisis: Jack Warner To Reveal All Despite Fears

fifa former vice president, jack warnerFormer FIFA Vice President, Jack Warner, has said that he will reveal all he knows about corruption at the world football body.

Mr Warner, who said he feared for his life,  said he could also link FIFA officials to general elections in his native Trinidad and Tobago in 2010.

He is one of the 14 people charged by the US over corruption at FIFA.

Another top FIFA official and key witness, Chuck Blazer, had admitted accepting bribes.

BBC says, the admissions came in a newly released transcript of Mr Blazer’s guilty plea from 2013, as part of a wide-ranging US criminal case that has engulfed FIFA and led President, Sepp Blatter to resign.

The US Justice Department also alleged that 14 people charged worldwide accepted bribes and kickbacks estimated at more than $150m (£97m) over a 24-year period.

Four others had already been charged, including Mr Blazer.

Jack Warner who is 72, resigned from all football activity in 2011 amid bribery allegations and later stepped down as Trinidad and Tobago’s Security Minister due to a fraud inquiry.

The former Vice President said he had given lawyers’ documents outlining the links between FIFA, its funding, himself and the 2010 election in Trinidad and Tobago. He said the transactions also included Chief Sepp Blatter.

“I will no longer keep secrets for them who actively seek to destroy the country,” he said in a political broadcast entitled “The gloves are off”, on Wednesday evening.

He promised an “avalanche” of revelations to come out.

Mr Warner, who denied charges against him, and faced extradition to the US, was released on bail after handing himself to the Police in the Trinidad and Tobago capital, Port of Spain last week.

Wike Tasks Tanker Owners, Sanitation Agency On Movement

governor wike of rivers stateRivers State Governor, Nyesome Wike, has called on tanker owners and the Environmental Sanitation Agency in the state to conduct their operations responsibly.

Governor Wike made this call during a meeting with stakeholders at the Government House in Port Harcourt, Rivers state capital.

This is as a result of indiscriminate parking of tankers along major roads and the sudden resurfacing of refuse dumps on the streets of Port Harcourt.

It is reported that the situation is currently causing serious traffic and is becoming a source of worry to residents.

In another meeting, the governor told depot operators and tanker owners that their activities pose a security risk to residents in the area.

Both groups however gave assurances that the tankers will relocate from the highways and the streets of the capital city will be made motorable.

Nigerian Government Expresses Renewed Confidence In Armed Forces

armed forcesThe Security Council Meeting presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan has ended with the Federal Government expressing renewed confidence in the Nigerian Armed Forces.

This is following the news that Yobe and Adamawa states have been completely liberated from the Boko Haram insurgency.

Briefing State House correspondents after the meeting, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Kenneth Minimah, said that the council commended the Armed Forces and looked forward to the reinstatement of the structures of government in the areas.

The Lieutenant General said that three local governments were still remaining, but shared the optimism that those areas would soon be liberated.

While responding to questions on whether elections would still hold on March 28, the Chief of Army Staff said that INEC would have to re-evaluate the areas that have been liberated and when the citizens have returned to their villages and the structures of government are reinstated, then INEC can allow them to execute their rights as voters.

He also confirmed that Nigerian Soldiers have advisers and instructors on the handling of the new equipment that have been deployed for the war against insurgency.

He prayed that the operations would be concluded before March 28 but also noted that in war situations, permutations don’t usually follow.

On the rescue of the abducted Chibok girls, Gen Minimah said that the terrorists fled with their families, but he was optimistic that details of their whereabouts would soon emerge.

Scores Dead In Bangladesh Ferry Collision

bangladeshUnconfirmed number of persons have been confirmed dead as a ferry carrying more that 150 passengers and crew capsized after colliding with a trawler on a river in central Bangladesh on Sunday.

Some sources have placed the number at 66 while another source placed it at 70.

A Police source, Harun-ur Rashid, said that rescuers managed to save some of the passengers, adding that the search is still on for more survivors.

More than half of the bodies retrieved so far from the river  were women and children, Harun said.

Police have seized the trawler and arrested the captain and his two crew, he said.

“The ferry was recovered … and there were 23 bodies inside,” Harun said.

Harun said that there might be more bodies trapped inside the ferry noting that the rescuers from the Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority and Red Cross were still searching the river.

The ferry was heading to Paturia from Daulatdia in Rajbari, located on the opposite bank of the river, about 135 km (85 miles) west of the capital, Dhaka.

Shajahan Khan, the shipping minister, told reporters at the scene that an investigation had been launched.

The exact number of people aboard the boat is not known, as Bangladeshi ferries do not usually have formal passenger lists.