Spanish Football Federation Offers Clubs Loans To Pay Bills

(File) View taken on on September 16, 2017 of the new Wanda Metropolitano stadium before the Spanish league football match Club Atletico de Madrid vs Malaga CF in Madrid.  AFP PHOTO / OSCAR DEL POZO.

 

Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales on Wednesday announced lines of credit for lower-level clubs in difficulty because of the coronavirus pandemic and repeated that he hoped the season could be completed.

He also told an online press conference he was willing to talk to La Liga, which runs the top two divisions, about helping its clubs.

Rubiales said that semi-professional and non-professional clubs in men’s and women’s outdoor and indoor football “will have a line of credit that will reach up to four million euros ($4.3 million) depending on their wage bills”.

He said the loans would be interest free and could be repaid over two years.

Some clubs are considering introducing part-time working to compensate for lack of income.

Rubiales said he hoped that this aid would help prevent such drastic action.

“We’re talking about four million for modest levels of football, but there’s also professional football and we want to reach out to it,” said Rubiales.

“If La Liga wants to talk, it’s time to do the maths,” he said. “We have worked on a line of financing of 500 million euros.”

He said the RFEF was ready “to sit down and look for financing for clubs that are going to have a problem”.

READ ALSO: Fury-Wilder Rematch Postponed Over COVID-19

“(If the season) does not end on June 30, which is more probable, there are going to be clubs that do not receive 100 percent of the money from television,” he added.

He said he could make 500 million available “for first and second division clubs, who need 15, 20 million euros now”.

Rubiales reiterated that competition will resume “when it is possible”, but he said he wanted to “give clubs fighting relegation the chance to save themselves, and those in a position to win promotion the chance to earn it”.

AFP

Casillas To End Playing Career, Says Porto President

Porto’s Spanish goalkeeper Iker Casillas reacts at the end of a friendly football match between Porto and Newcastle United at the Dragao Stadium in Porto on July 28, 2018. AFP

 

Porto president Jorge Nuno Pinto da Costa said on Tuesday that Iker Casillas is set to retire, a day after the World Cup-winning captain announced he would run for the presidency of the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF).

Casillas, 38, had been expected to bring an end to a glittering playing career after making the announcement but has never confirmed that he was hanging up his boots.

“Before announcing his candidacy, Iker Casillas came to see me inform me of his decision to end his career,” Pinto da Costa told Portuguese media on Tuesday.

Casillas, who joined Porto in 2015 but suffered a heart attack in April and hasn’t played a competitive game since is considered one of the greatest goalkeepers of his generation and led Spain to their first World Cup triumph in South Africa in 2010.

He played 167 times for Spain, also winning two European Championships in 2008 and 2012, and made more than 700 appearances for Real Madrid, with whom he won five La Liga titles and the Champions League three times.

Casillas had been linked with the RFEF presidency for several months and is expected to run against current incumbent Luis Rubiales for the post.

On Monday he said that his aim to “put our federation at the top of the best football in the world, the football of Spain”.

Rubiales has been in perpetual conflict with Javier Tebas, the president of La Liga, and the pair have clashed over numerous issues, including fixture scheduling, matches abroad and the postponement of the Clasico in October.

According to the rules, the elections should be held in the second half of this year after the Tokyo Olympics but Rubiales has requested they be brought forward, before Euro 2020, which will take place between June 12 and July 12.

AFP

Valverde Given One Match Suspension For Super Cup Red Card

Spanish referee Jose Maria Sanchez Martinez (L) presents a red card to Real Madrid’s Uruguayan midfielder Federico Valverde during the Spanish Super Cup final between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid on January 12, 2020, at the King Abdullah Sports City in the Saudi Arabian port city of Jeddah. Giuseppe CACACE / AFP

 

Federico Valverde has been handed a one-match suspension for the late foul that helped Real Madrid win the Spanish Super Cup, the country’s football federation RFEF revealed on Wednesday.

Midfielder Valverde was sent off in the closing stages of extra time in Sunday’s final against local rivals Atletico Madrid when the 21-year-old chopped down Spain striker Alvaro Morata as he charged through on goal.

Real won 4-1 on penalties after the match finished goalless, and Atletico coach Diego Simeone said that Valverde’s foul “was the most important moment of the match”.

The suspension means that Uruguayan Valverde will miss Real’s home match against Sevilla on Saturday.

AFP

Fall Out Of Spanish Super Cup: Simeone Handed Eight Match Ban

simeone
Atletico Coach, Simeone protesting the referee’s decision after he was sent off for tapping the match official on the head.

Atletico Madrid coach, Diego Simeone, has been given an eight-match ban for his conduct in the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup against Real Madrid.

Simeone defensive midfielder, was sent off midway through the first half for complaining that Atletico right-back Juanfran had not been allowed back on to the field quickly enough after receiving treatment for a facial injury during his side’s 2-1 aggregate win over their City rivals

The 44 year old former Argentine player subsequently tapped the fourth official on the back of the head after a heated exchange

The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) banned him for four games for that act – two games for protesting, one for applauding a red card and one game for remaining in the stands instead of leaving the stadium after his sending-off.

Simeone subsequently apologised and said he overreacted.

He said: “When you commit an error you have to ask for forgiveness and I accept it was an error. I exaggerated in trying to get Juanfran on”.

Assistant coach, Germán Burgos, will take over from the Argentine while he serves his suspension and he believes his number two will be a capable stand-in.

“German has the capacity and confidence; it gives me peace of mind that we understand football in the same way.

“He will sit on the bench and I will see it from another place”.

This is the second ban that the former Argentina international will get in two months.

Europe governing body, UEFA had handed Simeone a match ban in July, after he charged onto the pitch in the Champions League final tie against city rivals, Real Madrid ,during a verbal clash with Real’s French defender, Raphael Varane.