Army Dismisses Three Soldiers Over Alleged Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

New Salary Scale Has Not Been Approved For Armed Forces – DHQ
File photo

 

The Nigerian Army has dismissed three soldiers for their alleged involvement in kidnapping, armed robbery and cultism in Borno State.

Theatre Commander of the Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Olusegun Adeniyi, announced the dismissal on Sunday at the headquarters in Maimalari cantonment.

According to him, the three dismissed soldiers were arrested in a hotel in Maiduguri alongside 25 others, also alleged to be members of a notorious cult group terrorizing the state capital.

Adeniyi further explained that the arrest was made possible by a Joint Task Force including local hunters, the police, the NSCDC, DSS and the Army following a tip off.


RELATED

Boko Haram Terrorists Seeking Refuge In Homes Of Some Unscrupulous Individuals – Army

Army Accuses Action Against Hunger Of Aiding, Abetting Terrorists


Also speaking on the matter, the state Commissioner of Police, Aliyu Ndatsu, said the Force has found the suspects guilty of criminal conspiracy and unlawful assembly.

Some of the items recovered from them include mobile sets, ID cards, calabashes, water pots containing red contents believed to be human blood and a sticker with an inscription that suggests a cult group affiliation.

Police Arrest Two Robbery Suspects In Lagos

Police-Policeeeee
A file photo of a police patrol van.

 

 

The police have arrested two notorious armed robbery suspects in the Ejigbo area of Lagos State.

Those arrested are Seyi Ogundele – age 36 years old and nicknamed Spartacus – and Ogunmola Akintola who is 30 years old and also known as T-90.

The duo were arrested on Friday last week by policemen attached to Ejigbo Police Station in a joint operation with six others attached to Raiders State CID, Panti  Yaba.

The police operatives stormed a criminal hideout at Coker junction by NNPC Road and arrested the suspects said to be involved in series of armed robberies within Ejigbo and environs.

Mr Bala Elkana, who is the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, said in a statement on Sunday that investigation was ongoing, and the suspects would be charged to court.

Two Robbery Suspects Arrested In Lagos

Operation Puff Adda: Police Arrest Suspected Kidnappers, Rustlers In Taraba
A file photo of policemen on patrol.

 

 

The Lagos State Police Command says it has arrested two suspected robbers in the Mushin area of Lagos State.

In a statement on Sunday, the command’s spokesman, Bala Elkana, explained that the suspects were arrested by a team of policemen on patrol on Thursday.

“On 22/08/2019 at about 0730hrs,  Anti-Crime patrol team from Mushin Police Station led by Inspector Atipi Agasa while on patrol along Olorunsogo Bus Stop, Mushin intercepted one Omisogun Mathew ‘m’ 25 years old and Yetunde Lawson ‘F’ 28 years on a motorcycle.

“On sighting the police team, the hoodlums attempted to escape but were given a hot chase,” he said.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest 25 Suspected Cultists In Lagos

Elkana added that one locally-made double barrel pistol with two live cartridges was recovered from them.

According to him, the suspects belong to a five-man armed robbery syndicate operating in Mushin, Ikotun and Igando areas of Lagos.

The Police Public Relations Officer said the duo have been transferred to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) for discreet investigation.

He added that they would soon be charged to court.

Again, Armed Men Invade UI Hostel, Injure Two

Degrees

 

Armed men numbering about 15 suspected to be robbers have yet again invaded another hall of residence in the University of Ibadan.

The armed men stormed the Abdulsalami Abubakar Hall of residence which is comprised of four blocks and houses housing postgraduate students, carting away valuables and injuring two male students.

The Vice-Chancellor of the university, Professor Idowu Olayinka, who confirmed the attack to Channels TV via the phone call, said the attack took place in the female wing of the hostel around 2 am.

Professor Olayinka explained that the two students were injured while the robbers were trying to escape after one of the students spotted them and raised an alarm.

According to the VC, the police authorities have visited the scene of the crime and commenced an investigation into the matter.

Sunday’s attack comes barely a month after a similar robbery took place.

UPDATED: One Killed, Two Injured In Ondo Bank Robbery

Suspected Ritualists Kill 80-Year-Old Woman In Ondo

 

Armed men believed to be robbers have attacked a commercial bank in Ondo State, south-west Nigeria.

The Public Relations Officer of the State Police Command, Mr Femi Joseph, confirmed this to Channels Television on Tuesday.

The bank, according to him, is located at Iju in Akure North Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.

Contrary to the conflicting reports on the number of casualties, Mr Joseph said one of the staff members of the bank was shot dead.

He added that two others were injured during the attack and have been taken to a hospital for treatment.

READ ALSO: Buhari Should Urgently Release All Political Prisoners – PDP

The Command’s spokesman also said operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad quickly moved to the scene and engaged the robbers in a gun duel.

He noted that this forced the attackers to flee, saying they escaped through a nearby bush.

The robbers were said to have abandoned the two vehicles they used to convey themselves for the operation.

Mr Joseph, however, informed stated that it has not been ascertained if the robbers succeeded in carting away money from the bank.

According to him, normalcy has since returned to the area and security has been beefed up.

The Police Public Relations Officer also said the Command has sent operatives after the suspects with a view to bringing them to justice.

Seven Shot Dead, Five Injured In Ondo Bank Robbery

 

Seven people have been killed after an eleven-man gang of robbers attacked a branch of First Bank in Idoani, Ose Local Government Area of Ondo State.

The robbers reportedly stormed the town on Monday afternoon, shooting sporadically and broke the bank’s security doors with an explosive device.

The bank is said to be the only commercial bank in Idoani, serving the other neighboring towns as well.

Channels Television gathered that the robbers shot and killed seven people, including bank officials, a Police Inspector as well as two customers using the Automated Teller Machine (ATM).

Five other persons who sustained serious injuries are presently on admission at the intensive care unit at the General Hospital in the town.

READ ALSO: Gunmen Kidnap LG Chairman’s Father In Bayelsa

According to an eyewitness account, the armed robbers escaped through the bush in the area with an unspecified amount of money stolen from the bank.

Shortly after their escape, men of the Nigerian Army arrived at the scene.

A spokesperson for the Ondo State Police Command, SP Femi Joseph confirmed the incident to Channels Television.

He disclosed that one suspect has been apprehended in connection with the robbery attack and investigations are ongoing to fish out the fleeing members.

He appealed to residents to be law-abiding, remain calm not to entertain fears as the police are on top of the situation.

Cardi B’s ‘Dirty Past’ Sparks Controversy On Social Media

This January 25, 2018 file photo shows Cardi B attending the Warner Music Group’s annual Grammy celebration in association with V magazine in New York. Cardi B, who has quickly risen to become one of the most prominent women in hip-hop, has become a mother, announcing Wednesday, July 11, 2018 the birth of daughter Kulture Kiari Cephus.
KENA BETANCUR / AFP

 

Popular American rapper, singer and songwriter, Cardi B, is currently trending on Social Media following a video which resurfaced online.

In the InsaLive video, which the singer says was done three years ago, she had admitted to drugging and robbing men as a means of survival.

While she admits she isn’t proud of that ‘dirty past’ and no longer tows that path, she has been called out by critics in the wake of similar cases involving other celebrities.

“All I can do now is be a better me for myself my family and my future,” the mother of one said.

 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

All I can do now is be a better me for myself my family and my future.

A post shared by CARDIVENOM (@iamcardib) on

 

Many have likened her situation to that of R. Kelly and Bill Cosby who have been accused of sexual assault and some have even asked that a case be taken up against her as with the two celebrities.

“Is there any chance at all that a man could admit to drugging and robbing women and still keep his career?” a Twitter user asked as questions of equality are also being raised.

Read Also: New R. Kelly Sex Abuse Tape Discovered, Says Lawyer

Some fans, have, however, argued that while her actions were indeed criminal, she no longer tows the path and she can’t be compared to other celebrities who allegedly committed the crimes despite their status and privilege.

 

Below are some of the comments.

Cardi B Points To Past ‘Limited Options’ To Explain Drugging, Robbing Men

This January 25, 2018 file photo shows Cardi B attending the Warner Music Group’s annual Grammy celebration in association with V magazine in New York. Cardi B, who has quickly risen to become one of the most prominent women in hip-hop, has become a mother, announcing Wednesday, July 11, 2018 the birth of daughter Kulture Kiari Cephus. 
KENA BETANCUR / AFP

 

Red-hot rap queen Cardi B is working to quash controversy over resurfaced footage in which she admits to drugging and robbing men, pointing to “limited options” in her days as a stripper.

Social media backlash has swirled in recent days over the three-year-old clip taken from an Instagram live session, with the unfiltered rapper saying she “drugged (men) up, and I robbed them. That’s what I used to do.”

Responding to the criticism over the video, the now 26-year-old went on the offensive on Instagram, saying she had discussed “things I had to do in my past right or wrong that I felt I needed to do to make a living.”

“I was blessed to have been able to rise from that but so many women have not.”

The expletive-laden video appears to be a response to allegations that she hadn’t earned her success, with Cardi saying in it: “nothing was… handed to me.”

But the clip triggered the hashtag #SurvivingCardiB, a reference to the bombshell docuseries “Surviving R. Kelly” that refocused attention on sex abuse accusations against that R&B star.

Read Also: Cardi B’s ‘Dirty Past’ Sparks Controversy On Social Media

Many Twitter users alleged a double standard, saying her actions were comparable to those of male performers accused of sexual assault.

“The men I spoke about in my live were men that I dated that I was involved with men that were conscious willing and aware,” she posted on Instagram late Tuesday.

The outspoken superstar — who last month became the first woman solo artist to win a Best Rap Album Grammy — said she is part “of a hip hop culture where you can talk about where you come from talk about the wrong things you had to do to get where you are.”

“There are rappers that glorify murder violence drugs and robbing,” Cardi said. “I never glorified the things I brought up in that live I never even put those things in my music because I’m not proud of it and feel a responsibility not to glorify it.”

“All I can do now is be a better me for myself my family and my future.”

Born Belcalis Almanzar to a Dominican father and Trinidadian mother, the Bronx native’s unchartered rise to fame kicked off during her days as a stripper, when she carved out a social media personality on platforms including Instagram.

She is married to fellow rapper Offset with whom she has a baby daughter, Kulture.

Police Arrest Two Robbery Suspects In Lekki, Recover Loot

Police Arrest Two Suspected Robbers In Lekki, Recover Loot

Two suspected members of a robbery gang notorious for terrorising residents of Lekki area in Lagos State have met their Waterloo shortly after robbing two persons.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Bala Elkana, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday.

READ ALSO: Air Force Trains Personnel To Tackle Terrorism, Armed Banditry

The suspects – Adebayo Ayomide and Isaac David – were arrested by a team of detectives led by the Divisional Police Officer, Maroko Police Station, Mr Isah Abdulmajid.

The police team had embarked on crime prevention patrol on the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge around 9 pm on Saturday.

In the course of their duty, they came in contact with two young women simply identified as, Gbemi and Hannah, who appeared to be in panic.

Upon questioning, the women explained to the team that they had just been dispossessed of their phones by the suspects at gunpoint.

They pointed at the direction through which the suspects escaped on a motorcycle after which the police went after them.

“The team tracked down the suspects and upon searching them, their operational single-barrelled gun, a cutlass and the phone were found on them. The items were recovered and the criminals were taken into custody,” the statement said.

“In their confessional statements, they owned up to belonging to a syndicate terrorising Lekki and its environs.”

According to Elkana, the Commissioner of Police in Lagos, Zubairu Muazu, commending the team for a swift response to the crime and the eventual arrest of the suspects.

He also directed that the case be transferred to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the command for further investigation.

The police commissioner assured residents of the state of the command’s commitment to securing lives and properties in every nook and cranny of the state.

He, however, warned criminal-minded individuals to either change their ways or face the full weight of the law.

Two Suspects Shot Dead In Robbery At South African School

Mob Burns Nigerian To Death In South Africa

 

Two suspected robbers were killed in a shootout with police during a break-in at a Johannesburg high school as students prepared to sit exams on Thursday, officials said.

A gang of robbers stormed the school, intimidated office staff and demanded access to the safe before making off with 8,000 rands ($572).

Police and private security officers responded to the unfolding emergency in minutes.

READ ALSO: Two Killed As Military Plane Crashes In Algeria

“When they (police) arrived the suspects were on their way out, the shooting started and that’s when the police returned fire,” police spokesman Kay Makhubela told reporters outside the school.

“Two suspects were shot and killed,” he said adding that another was injured, two others arrested while an unknown number fled in two vehicles.

No staff or students were wounded in the attack.

The head of Edenvale High School Larry Harmer said he watched on the security camera as the robbers forced their way into the school when a parent came to collect his child. It was too late to lock them out.

“They jumped through the window with their AK-47s and pistols and then traumatised the front staff and office staff, and demanded the safe,” said Harmer.

Gauteng Provincial Education Minister Panyaza Lesufi said students were sent home after the attack and all classes and exams were suspended until Monday.

“(Schools) are sitting ducks of criminals,” said Lesufi.

Violent crime is notoriously common in South Africa, with armed robbery, rape, carjacking and muggings among the leading threats.

AFP

Ekiti Residents Decry Increased Rate Of Robberies, Killings

 

Residents and stakeholders in Ekiti State have called for improved security lamenting over increased bank robberies and killings in the state.

The residents were recently joined by members of Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) in the state as they protest the killing of one of their colleagues who was abducted and later killed by his abductors.

Some of the victims of the spate of killings in the state include a former Commissioner of the Federal Character Commission and chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bunmi Ojo who was shot dead in August this year, by yet to be identified gunmen.

Also, APC treasure in the state, Moses Adeoye, was murdered in October, in Otun, Moba Local Government Area of the state.

Three policemen and one other person were reportedly killed in October at Ijero Ekiti, Ekiti State during a bank robbery. The robbers were said to have shot the policemen and the three died on the spot.

A member of the Ekiti State House of Assembly, Michael Adedeji also died in the early hours of Monday, October 29 following gunshot wounds sustained in the head on Friday, October 26. Adedeji was shot by unknown gunmen while travelling to Akure, the Ondo State capital.

 

Also a monarch, Oba Gbadebo Ogunsakin was stabbed while returning from a palace meeting.

The residents have therefore called for swift intervention over theses increased criminal activities despite assurances given by relevant agencies.

They believe the police can do more with government and ensure citizens have a sense of safety.

One of the residents of the communities told Channels Television that, “something urgent needs to be done. The people (robbers) operate like they own the land.”

The state governor Kayode Fayemi in response to the spate of killings said the government is working with security agencies by providing adequate security apparatus needed to perform effectively, in order to put an end to the violence.

“I am very concerned about this and I am working very hard to ensure that we put a stop to this spate of violence,” he said.

Police Arrest 11 Robbery Suspects, Recover Eight Guns In Lagos

Police Arrest 11 Robbery Suspects, Recover Eight Guns In Lagos

 

The police have arrested eleven armed robbery suspects in their hideout at Elemoro community in Lekki axis of Lagos State.

Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Chike Oti, confirmed this in a statement on Tuesday.

He revealed that upon searching the suspects’ den, the police recovered one berretta pistol and two locally made pistols.

Police Arrest 11 Robbery Suspects, Recover Eight Guns In Lagos

 

Noting that progress made in the investigations would be made public, Mr Oti disclosed that the police also recovered five rifles inside an unoccupied shanty in an estate in the same axis of the state.

He said the guns were recovered on Friday last week by personnel of the State Police Command’s Taskforce on recovery of illegal and prohibited firearms, attached to Area J Command Headquarters, Ajah.

“The guns recovered comprises of three European made pump action rifles numbers L926547, R268751 and P987707 respectively, one locally made double barrel rifle and one locally made single barrel rifle,” Mr Oti said.

 

The Commissioner of Police in the state thereafter directed the ballistic arm of the SCIID Panti Yaba to commence an investigation into the case.

He assured residents that the ember months would remain peaceful in Lagos as the Command continues to carry out intelligence and purpose-driven raids on all identified criminal spots in the state.

The CP added that the Command would continue to enforce the Inspector General of Police’s directive on mopping up of illegal and prohibited firearms.

He, however, warned that anybody found in possession of such weapons would be diligently prosecuted by the police.