What Determines Reopening Of Nigeria’s Borders – Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari with President Roch Marc Christian Kabore of Burkina Faso at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on February 21, 2020.

 

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has given the condition for reopening Nigeria’s land borders to goods from neighbouring countries.

He revealed that the reopening the borders would be determined by the report from the Tripartite Committee comprising the governments of Nigeria, Benin Republic and the Niger Republic.

The President stated this when he met with President Roch Marc Christian Kabore of Burkina Faso who paid him a visit on Friday at the State House in Abuja.

“Our major problem is security – the inflow of weapons, ammunition and drugs,” he was quoted as saying in a statement by his spokesman, Garba Shehu.

President Buhari added, “We have witnessed a decline in banditry using such weapons since the partial closure of the border.

“Also, our farmers are now able to sell their rice since we stopped the inflow of foreign rice, usually dumped in the country.”

He informed his visitor that Nigeria’s decision to partially close the borders was purely based on the need to ensure national security.

“I will work as fast as I can as soon as I receive the report,” President Buhari assured Mr Kabore.

The Burkina Faso leader is the chairman of the ECOWAS Committee mandated to resolve the issue of the border closure.

He informed the Nigerian leader that he came on the visit following the mandate of ECOWAS to resolve the issues that culminated in the partial closure of the border.

President Kabore said many of the challenges which led to the closure by Nigeria have been discussed and agreed on and urged President Buhari to reconsider his position.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama, who was present at the meeting, briefed State House correspondents on issues discussed.

He noted that President Buhari was mindful of the concerns of neighbouring countries regarding the ECOWAS Free Movement Protocol.

Onyeama explained that the nation’s land borders were closed for security reasons, although he said there were hopes for a solution soon.

Six Killed As Jihadists Attack Burkina Faso School

 

Armed jihadists attacked a village school in eastern Burkina Faso, killing five teachers and a municipal worker, officials said Saturday. 

Burkina Faso, a former French colony, has seen a surge in attacks blamed on radical Islamist groups — mainly the Ansarul Islam group and the Group to Support Islam and Muslims (GSIM) — in the last four years.

The latest attack happened on Friday evening at Maitaougou village in the Koulpelogo province, which has been targeted by extremists.

“Jihadists led an incursion into Maitaougou village… and killed five teachers,” a security source said.

“Four teachers died instantly in the attack, which took place at around 5:00 pm in the heart of the school, while a fifth succumbed to his injuries a few hours later.”

READ ALSO: Six Children, Nine Others Killed In Sri Lanka Raid – Police

A municipal worker was also killed in the same area, several sources said.

Burkinabe President Roch Marc Christian Kabore said he firmly condemned “this cowardly and ignoble killing” and vowed to track down the perpetrators.

The attacks were initially concentrated in the north of the country, but then the capital Ouagadougou and other regions were targeted. Since 2015, about 350 people have died in the violence, according to an AFP count.

AFP

Blast Kills Eight Soldiers In Burkina Faso

Burkina Faso on the map.

 

Eight soldiers were killed on Wednesday by a blast in the troubled north of Burkina Faso, President Roch Marc Christian Kabore announced.

“I have just learned that eight Burkinabe soldiers died after their vehicle drove over a home-made mine planted by the enemies of our people,” he said. The convoy had been heading to the town of Djibo, in Soum province, where jihadists have carried out a string of attacks since 2015.

AFP

Kabore Wins Burkina Faso Poll

Kabore Wins Burkina Faso PollBurkina Faso’s Electoral Commission says Roch Marc Christian Kabore has won the country’s presidential elections.

The Commission said that Mr Kabore, a former Prime Minister, secured 53.5% of the vote on Sunday.

This is the first election since the uprising in 2014 which toppled longstanding President Blaise Compaore.

The Independent National Electoral Commission said that Mr Kabore, 58, won the elections outright, and there is no need to hold a second round.

It says his main rival, former Economy and Finance Minister, Zephirin Diabre, gained 21.6% of the vote.

Mr Diabre has already congratulated Mr Kabore, according to the AFP News Agency.

The vote was due to have been held last month, but was delayed by a failed coup in September led by members of the elite presidential guard.

Mr Kabore served as Chairman of the ruling Congress for Democracy and Progress Party (CDP) before leaving it in 2014, after opposing plans to extend Mr Compaore’s rule.

64-year-old Compaore, is now living in exile in neighbouring Cote D’ívoire.