N-Power To Begin Enrollment For Third Batch On June 26

A file photo of the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq.

 

The federal government has said it will commence the enrollment of the third batch of the beneficiaries for the N-Power scheme on June 26. 

Following consultations and review of submission for the reform of the program, a statement from the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development on Saturday said the enrollment of the beneficiaries of the ‘Batch C’ will enable more Nigerian youths to access the N-Power program.

The program is designed to encourage entrepreneurship, in line with the government’s mandate of lifting citizens out of poverty through capacity building, investment, and direct support.

The N-Power scheme was inaugurated by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2016 under the National Social Investment Programme (NSIP).

The program has enrolled 500,000 beneficiaries so far with 200,000 from ‘Batch A’ which started in September 2016 and 300,000 from ‘Batch B’, which kicked off in August 2018.

Insurgency: FG Lifts Ban On Two Aid Groups In Northeast

 

The Federal Government has lifted the suspension of two humanitarian organisations operating in the northeast, Action Against Hunger and Mercy Corps after receiving reports from a Board of Inquiry (BOI).

This was disclosed by the minister of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development, Sadiya Farouq, in a statement.

Both International Humanitarian Organizations were suspended from operating in the Northeast following an allegation by the Nigerian army of providing aids to Boko Haram.

The Army had in September, blacklisted and subsequently sealed the offices of Action Against Hunger in Borno and Yobe states, stating that it had ‘credible intelligence’ that the humanitarian agency supplied food and medication to the insurgents.

Farouq said the Federal Government is worried about the counter-terrorism efforts and efforts must be put in place to end the conflict.

“The suspension of the two International Humanitarian Organizations namely Action Against Hunger and Mercy Corps is temporarily lifted. The concerns and recommendations of the Board of Inquiry (BOI) will continue to receive attention and scrutiny to address the issues raised and complies.”

READ ALSO: FG Approves 3bn For Construction Of NDIC Office In Bauchi

She added that key issues will be addressed based on the 7-point agenda proposed by the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator to strengthen coordination and partnership between the humanitarian community and the Government of Nigeria in the North East.

“Establishment of a High-Level Policy Forum on Humanitarian Assistance in northeast Nigeria by the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development at the federal level to discuss/resolve all emerging issues with the Humanitarian Response in the North East.

“Vetting/Due Diligence of all Humanitarian Vendors in northeast Nigeria to be conducted by the Government of Nigeria before engagement by Humanitarian Actors.

“Clearance and registration of all NGOs by the Government of Nigeria before deployment engagement in Humanitarian Activities in Nigeria.

“Transportation and allocation of Fuel and other sensitive humanitarian commodities including fertilizers to humanitarian actors in the field by Government approved vendors/providers in northeast Nigeria”, she added.

Other issues that will be addressed include; “Development and approval of a cash transfer policy for humanitarian assistance in Northeast Nigeria within the Laws of the Government of Nigeria. Review and strengthen Civil-Military Coordination and existing systems at both Maiduguri and Abuja level.”

Osinbajo Advocates Care And Respect For Migrants

Yemi Osinbajo, MigrantsVice President of Nigeria, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, has stressed the need to treat migrants with some form of care and respect, as most of them were forced to leave their ancestral homes.

Professor Osinbajo made the emphasis on Tuesday while addressing experts on migration issues at the Annual National Migration Dialogue in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.

He said the internal conflicts and terrorist activities in some countries were largely responsible for cases of forced migration.

Professor Osinbajo, therefore, advised the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) to ensure proper documentation of migrants across the world.

Also addressing the gathering, the Federal Commissioner of the National Commission For Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons, Sadiya Farouq, stressed the need for a holistic approach to issues of migration.

In his remark, the Swiss Ambassador to Nigeria, Eric Mayoraz, pledged to support Nigeria in addressing challenges of migration.

IOM Chief of Mission, Nigeria Country Office, Enira Krdzalic, gave an analysis of the statistics of migrants who die daily trying to pass through illegal routes.

Experts at the event noted that migration enhances regional and global integration and called for policy coherence in migration governance.