School Reopening: Katsina Trains Principals, Teachers On COVID-19 Protocols

Wearing face-masks, final year students of Government Secondary School, Zone 3, Abuja, sit in a classroom as they write their West African Examinations Council exams, following the ease of COVID-19 lockdown order on Monday August 17, 2020. Photo: Sodiq Adelakun/Channels Television.
File photo of a notice ‘No Facemask, No Entry’ at the entrance of a classroom.

 

The Katsina State Government on Friday trained over 400 headmasters, headmistresses, and principals of various public and private primary and secondary schools.

The officials were selected across the 34 Local Government Areas of the state to be trained on COVID-19 protocols, in preparation for school reopening.

The State Commissioner of Information Culture and Home Affairs, Abdulkarim Sirika disclosed this to Channels Television on Friday.

Sirika who is also the Chairman of the Publicity and Risk Management Committee on COVID-19 in the state said the essence of the training is to sensitise and prepare the stakeholders, so that when schools reopen they will pass across the information received and ensure students observe the NCDC protocols.

He said the training which was held in two different locations has 200 participants. “One is taking place at the Katsina Local Government Service Commission and the other one at the Umaru Musa’Yaradu’a University, Katsina. So they are scattered”.

He revealed that after the workshop, there is going to be a step-down training where those that are trained will extend the same training to their respective local communities.

In Katsina state, where cases of COVID-19 have been recorded in all the LGAs of the state, over 20,000 samples have so far been tested with 864 positive cases recorded and 24 deaths.

In the past weeks, the state has witnessed a decline in the number of positive cases of the virus where the health team manages the few positive cases recorded so far on a home care basis.

Katsina State Government had earlier on Tuesday, September 29 directed all public and private primary and secondary schools in the state to reopen from October 5, 2020.

Upon resumption, all schools are expected to operate on shift basis except when students are few. Students must always be encouraged to wear facemasks, maintain social distancing, and other safety protocols.

 

Niger State Government To Pay Students’ NECO/WAEC Fees

NigerThe Niger State Governor, Abubakar Sani Bello, has announced the continued payment of Senior Secondary School Certificate examination fees for students in public schools in the state.

This is in fulfilment of the social contract of salvaging and restoring the education sector in the state.

Governor Abubakar Bello directed principals of public secondary schools to maintain government’s policy on payment of examination fee for the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE).

The directive was contained in a press statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Jibrin Baba Ndace in Minna.

According to the statement, parents of Basic 12 (SS3) students are to pay for either West African Examinations Council (WAEC) or National Examination Councils (NECO), while the state government will be responsible for the other.

With this directive, school principals are permitted to collect the fee for only one of the two examinations.

The Governor directed that school principals should adhere strictly to the policy, warning that any principal that flouts the directive would be dealt with.

The statement concluded by saying that parents are to report any principal that may want to force them to pay for the two examinations.

Borno School Abduction: Headmistress Appeals To Govt, Education Commissioner Speaks

Borno CommThe Principal of the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State has appealed to the Government to do more to save teenage girls abducted by suspected Boko Haram members on Monday.

Mrs. Asabe Kwambula, has also been appealing to the kidnappers to have mercy on the students.

The Principal said that she was with the parents, praying continuously for the teenagers’ safe return.

Her plea is coming after the Borno State Government said that 84 girls were still missing and 45 in total have managed to escape.

The Borno State Commissioner of Education, Mr. Musa Kubo, in a telephone interview with Channels Television, appealed to parents to bear with Government as everything was being done to rescue the abducted girls.

In his update for Saturday, April 19, the Commissioner said: “Only one of our missing students returned today. She was not among those abducted. She was however one of the 129 girls at the hostel on that black day the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok was attacked.

“She ran out of the school during the attack and thereafter, went to her parents. She was brought back by her mother today (Saturday).

“Remember I told you in my first statement that we made announcements calling on parents and guardians whose daughters might have ran home to bring them back so we could take account to be precise on the number of students missing out of the 129 that were in school during the attack.

“So far, we now have 45 students back in school. Out of this number, 28 escaped from abduction while 17 fled home during the attack and returned home. You may recall that in my Friday update, I told you that 14 students escaped from their abductors. Out of them, 3 were helped back to the school in Chibok while 11 escaped from captivity to a town along Damboa/Biu road in Borno State.

“We are hopefully expecting the return of our 84 students as intensive search and rescue efforts continue.

“On behalf of the Borno State Government, my ministry, staff and students of the affected school, parents and relations of affected students, I very well appreciate the Nigerian and international media organisations for their most helpful support which we need to sustain till by the grace of God, these students – who are so important to us as a Government and parents – are found in sound health.”