Niger State Governor Wades Into Pandogari Crisis

Niger State, Abubakar Bello, Beji ElectrificationThe Governor of Niger State, Abubakar Bello, has asked the people of Pandogori in Rafi Local government Area of Niger State to exercise restrain over the crisis that erupted in the community.

This call was contained in a statement by the spokesman for the Governor, Jibrin Baba Ndace.

The Governor advised residents of the community, the state and indeed the country to abstain from giving the incidence a religious or tribal coloration.

“It will be a disservice and an attempt to overheat the polity if the incidence in Pandogari is given religious or tribal colouration. We must exercise restraint in our actions as well as comments on traditional and online media. It is neither a religious or tribal crisis,” he stressed.

The Governor also expressed displeasure over the outcome of the incident, insisting that it was always better for various stakeholders to pursue the path of dialogue, consultation and peaceful resolution of any conflict, than resulting to violence.

“Pursuing the path of peace, dialogue is cheaper and safer than violence. Violence is a distraction and costly path in any society. That is why I always sue for peace in our communities across the state,” he stated.

Mr Bello emphasised that the State was known for peace and that the incidence in Pandogari was an isolated case of breakdown of law and order which security agencies had been directed to maintain law and order and to ensure protection of lives and property in line with their constitutional role.

“I have directed the security agencies to ensure that law and order is maintained within Pandogari and its environs. Any one person or group of persons found to be involved in any act capable of causing further crisis will be dealt with according to law,” he told reporters.

He said that the Niger State government had set up an investigative panel to establish immediate and remote causes of the crisis.

The Governor also directed top government officials to visit Pandogari for on the spot assessment of the crisis.

“I have directed Deputy Governor, Mr Mohammed Ahmed Ketso, Secretary to State Government, SSG, Alhaji Umar Shehu Danyaya, Commissioner of Finance, Mr Ibrahim Balarabe, Commissioner for Local Government, Mr Kabir Abbas, member , Niger State House of Assembly, representing the area, Danlami Bako to visit Pandogari today (Wednesday).

“Also to be part of the visit are Special Adviser Security, Brigadier General Imam rtd, Director General Niger State Emergency Management Agency, NSEMA, Mr Ibrahim Inga, Chairman Rafi Local government, Mr Gambo Abubakar Bojo, representative of Emir of Kagara, Galadima Kagara, Mr Abubakar Katako, representative of Brigade Commander, representative of Police Commissioner and other security agencies.

Governor Bello then assured Niger residents of his determination to ensure peace and security in the state and urged all stakeholders to support government’s resolve in that direction.

Gombe Relaxes Curfew Imposed On Metropolis

NIGERIA-UNRESTGombe State government in north-east Nigeria has relaxed the 24-hour curfew earlier imposed on Gombe on Saturday.

The imposition of the 24 hours curfew in Gombe metropolis was sequel to a fierce battle between security forces and the dreaded Boko Haram insurgents in the early hours of Saturday, February 14.

A statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Abubakar Sule Bage, said the curfew will now be observed from 8:00pm till 6:00am in the morning daily.

The statement urges people of the state to adhere strictly to the new development and to be law abiding in the pursuit of their day to day legitimate business.

“Anyone that violates the order will be dealt with and the people are advised to give maximum cooperation to security agents, to restore peace to our dear state,” the statement read.

The Saturday attack was the first on Gombe metropolis since the commencement of the Boko Haram insurgency.

Boko Haram militants had over the years, been carrying out relentless attack on innocent civilians and security forces in the troubled north-east region of Nigeria, resulting in the postponement of the general elections by six weeks.

During the Saturday onslaughts, residents told Channels Television that the terrorists group circulated written document, warning people of the state not to come out for the elections that will hold on March 28 and April 11.

Gombe State is one of the troubled north east states of Nigeria with prevailing cases of Boko Haram insurgency with ceaseless cases of attack around the northern and eastern parts of the state bordering Yobe and Borno States respectively.

In  the Saturday statement the government of the state assured residents of the state of its commitment to protecting their lives and property.