Following the recent attacks on security officials and facilities, President Muhammadu Buhari has approved new security measures for the South-east and South-south regions of the country.
The acting Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, disclosed this on Tuesday after a security meeting in Abuja presided over by President Buhari.
The IGP who briefed journalists alongside the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno; and the Chief of Defence Staff, Lucky Irabor, refused to disclose the new measures, saying a decision was reached at the meeting not to, henceforth, publicise measures to be deployed to tackle insecurity in the country.
“The Security Council meeting which has taken place three times within the past 11 days has assessed the security situation in the country, particularly in the South-East, South-South as it affects law and order,” he said.
“We have some measures which we have outlined and have been approved by Council. We will see how we can change the narrative within the quickest possible means to restore law and order, peace in that area.”
The police boss also asked law-abiding citizens to cooperate and work closely with the security agencies in order to tackle the security challenges in the regions.
Speaking also, the NSA said he briefed the Council on factors that propel crime in the country, adding that President Buhari issued directives on how the issues can be tackled.
“I briefed Council on the enablers of crime and the need to find quick responses with a view to mitigating the growing threats to the society,” he said.
“These enablers are discussed in details and Mr President already gave out directions on how to deal with them, particularly issues of drug abuse as propellants for crime, how to make the Criminal Justice System much more effective as we as looking at the issues of unemployment.”
The UN Security Council’s first meeting on the conflict in Ethiopia’s dissident Tigray region ended without members issuing a statement Tuesday.
European members forced the closed-door discussion to be held after African countries pulled out of organizing the meeting at short notice, highlighting divisions over Security Council action on the three weeks of fighting.
“South Africa asked for time so that the envoys can conduct their consultations and refer the matter to the African Union. A statement could complicate the situation,” an African diplomat said after the session.
A European diplomat, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Europeans “expressed their concerns, condemned violence of an ethnic nature and demanded protection of civilians,” during the session that lasted one hour 20 minutes.
France, Britain, Belgium, Germany and Estonia — backed by the United States — announced the virtual meeting after South Africa, Niger, Tunisia and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines withdrew their request because envoys have yet to travel to Ethiopia.
“At a certain moment, we have to put it on the agenda, even if the Africans don’t like it,” a European diplomat told AFP on condition of anonymity.
The African Union announced on Friday that three former presidents had been appointed as special envoys to Ethiopia to help mediation efforts between the conflicting parties.
Asked about the Security Council’s lack of decisive action, a UN spokesman said Secretary-General Antonio Guterres supported the African Union is at the forefront of international efforts.
Forces loyal to Tigray’s ruling party have been battling Ethiopian soldiers for nearly three weeks.
Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has ordered the leaders of the northern region of Tigray to surrender ahead of a threatened all-out assault on its capital, Mekele.
Abiy launched the military campaign against the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) on November 4, accusing it of attacking two federal military camps in the region, and of seeking to destabilize his government.
Hundreds of people are reported to have been killed, but a communications blackout has made claims from both sides difficult to verify.
Guterres last week called for the opening of humanitarian corridors to assist civilians caught in the fighting, noting that authorities had so far rejected attempts at mediation.
Over 40,000 Ethiopians have fled to neighboring Sudan, the UN’s refugee agency said Monday.
The UN Security Council will scale back its schedule for March as a precaution against the coronavirus pandemic, China said Wednesday.
China, which holds the March presidency of the Security Council and is also the epicenter of the virus, wants to ensure “we will be in a better position to protect ourselves,” said its ambassador, Zhang Jun.
While no Security Council sessions will be canceled, China has advised a “scaling down of the meetings” including reducing delegation sizes, Zhang told reporters.
Informal consultations within the powerful 15-member body may also be shifted to a larger room so “that we have more space and less people,” he said.
The United Nations has pushed back major gatherings outside of the Security Council.
On Wednesday it indefinitely delayed a March 23-April 3 meeting on marine biodiversity as well as an April 13-24 forum on indigenous issues.
It already postponed a March annual meeting on the status of women that would have brought 12,000 people to New York.
No cases of COVID-19 have been reported within the 3,000-strong UN Secretariat, said the world body’s spokesman, Stephane Dujarric.
The United Nations has halted tours and much of the staff has been asked to work remotely, Dujarric said.
The United States has requested a closed-door UN Security Council meeting Thursday for President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and adviser, Jared Kushner, to present the administration’s new Mideast peace plan, diplomatic sources told AFP Monday.
He intends to set forth the plan that Washington unveiled last week and to listen to the position of the council’s other 14 members, the sources said.
The meeting would take place several days before Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas comes to the United Nations — he is expected February 11 — to express opposition to the US plan and to demand adherence to international law.
The UN Security Council will meet behind closed doors on Friday to discuss an uptick in violence in the embattled Syrian opposition stronghold of Idlib, diplomats told AFP.
The meeting — which will begin at 10:00 am (1500 GMT) — comes at the request of Britain and France, with the backing of the United States, the diplomats, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Thursday.
Some diplomats hope the session will provide an occasion to discuss the reauthorization of cross-border UN humanitarian aid deliveries to millions of Syrians.
Humanitarian aid currently flows into Syria through UN-designated checkpoints in Turkey and Iraq without the formal permission of the regime in Damascus, but that arrangement expires on January 10.
Last month, Russia and China vetoed a resolution that would have extended those deliveries for a year. Moscow says it will only approve a six-month extension using two checkpoints.
Three million people in the Idlib area benefit from that aid, according to the United Nations.
In a telephone call on Thursday, US President Donald Trump and Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdogan agreed on “the need for de-escalation in Idlib, Syria, in order to protect civilians,” the White House said.
On Thursday, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Executive Director Henrietta Fore called for an “immediate cessation of hostilities in the northwest of Syria.”
“We call on those fighting, especially in the northwest, and those with influence over them for the following: stop all attacks on children and services that provide for them, including health and education facilities and water systems,” she said in a statement.
According to UNICEF, at least 140,000 children have been displaced in the past three weeks due to fighting in and around Idlib.
Syrian ally Russia announced a ceasefire for Idlib in late August after months of deadly Russian and regime bombardment that killed around 1,000 civilians.
But sporadic clashes and bombardment persisted throughout the autumn before a spike in violence in the past month, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The UN Security Council is expected to hold-closed door talks on North Korea’s test of a sea-launched missile, as European powers push for the world body to keep up the pressure on Pyongyang, diplomats said Thursday.
North Korea claimed to have entered a new phase in its defense capability with the test Wednesday of a submarine-launched ballistic missile — the most provocative since Pyongyang began a dialogue with Washington in 2018.
The demand for closed-door talks was made by Britain, France and Germany, as the United States and North Korea prepare to resume nuclear talks this week. Initially slated for Friday, the talks are now expected to take place early next week due to scheduling constraints, diplomats said.
The European nations consider the test a violation of UN resolutions, and pressed the US delegation to have the council take it up, one diplomat said.
“The Americans do not want a formal meeting” so the Europeans asked for a closed-door session, said another diplomat, also speaking on condition of anonymity.
President Donald Trump, who says he has a great relationship with Kim Jong Un, has shied from criticizing North Korea over its missile tests as the two sides seek an agreement for the North to give up its nuclear weapons.
“We are deeply concerned and we need to bring this back to the Security Council. This is another clear violation of UN Security Council resolutions,” the first diplomat said.
“This test is not neutral, and the Security Council should be able to discuss it,” the second one said.
In late August, Britain, France and Germany sought a meeting of the Security Council after North Korea tested a new “super large” multiple rocket launcher.
But in the end those three members of the council simply issued a statement calling for continued international sanctions against Pyongyang.
North Korea is under three sets of UN sanctions adopted in 2017 in an effort to force it to give up its nuclear and ballistic weapons programs.
The sanctions limit North Korea’s oil imports and impose bans linked to its exports of coal, fish and textiles.
Since the US-North Korea talks began, Russia and China have been calling for the UN to start lifting sanctions so as to create momentum towards the North’s denuclearization. But the United States has refused.
The United Nations Security Council is scheduled to hold a rare meeting on Kashmir after India stripped the region of its autonomy, sparking a row with Pakistan, diplomats told AFP Thursday.
The meeting will take place behind closed doors on Friday morning, the diplomats said.
Poland, which currently holds the council’s rotating presidency, has listed the matter for discussion at 10:00 am (1400 GMT), the diplomats added.
It is extremely rare for the Security Council to discuss Kashmir, which has been divided between India and Pakistan since independence from Britain in 1947.
The last time there was a full Security Council meeting on the Himalayan region was in 1965.
Friday’s discussion is not considered a full security meeting but rather referred to as closed-door consultations, which are becoming increasingly more common, diplomats said.
Parts of Kashmir that India controls have been under lockdown since August 4, with freedom of movement restricted and phones and the internet cut.
A day later, New Delhi scrapped Article 370 in the Indian constitution that had granted Kashmir special autonomy, splitting the state of Jammu and Kashmir in two and downgrading their status to union territories.
In a speech marking Indian Independence Day Thursday Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the decision was one of several “path-breaking” moves by his newly re-elected administration.
He said “fresh thinking” was needed after seven decades of failure to ensure harmony in the picturesque but tragic former kingdom, where tens of thousands have died in the past 30 years.
Pakistan observed “Black Day” on Thursday to coincide with India’s independence day celebrations.
Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan, who has warned of possible “ethnic cleansing” in Kashmir, replaced his Twitter profile photo with a black circle.
Kashmir has been the spark for two major wars and countless clashes between the two nuclear-armed arch-rivals, most recently in February when they conducted tit-for-tat air strikes.
The UN Security Council will hold an emergency meeting on Wednesday to discuss an air strike on a detention centre in Libya that killed scores of migrants, diplomats said.
The meeting — to be held behind closed doors from 3:00 pm (1900 GMT) — will include a briefing from representatives of the UN refugee agency and the UN political affairs department.
Council members will hear a briefing from representatives of the UN refugee agency and the UN political affairs department.
At least 44 people were killed when the strike hit the Tajoura detention center east of Tripoli late Tuesday and more than 130 were severely injured, the UN said.
Tajoura held at least 600 refugees and migrants, including women and children. UN agencies said they expected the death toll from the attack to rise.
Tensions have soared in Libya since forces loyal to commander Khalifa Haftar, who holds sway in the east of the country, launched an offensive in April to seize Tripoli, held by a UN-recognized government and various militias.
World powers have been divided on how to respond to Haftar’s military campaign, with the United States and Russia refusing to back UN calls for a ceasefire.
The Tripoli government has blamed Haftar for the attack on the detention center.
UN envoy Ghassan Salame has called for an independent investigation and warned that the attack may constitute a war crime.
Rocket fire on the Libyan capital Tripoli, which the UN-recognised government blamed on military strongman Khalifa Haftar, killed six people ahead of a Security Council meeting on Wednesday over a ceasefire.
Diplomats have long complained that Libyan peace efforts have been stymied by major powers backing the rival sides, with Haftar ally Russia quibbling over the proposed wording of the ceasefire demand even as the bombardment of Tripoli intensifies.
Three of the six killed in the rocket fire on the south Tripoli neighbourhoods of Abu Salim and Al-Antisar late on Tuesday were women, said the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, or OCHA.
Abu Salim mayor Abdelrahman al-Hamdi confirmed the death toll and said 35 other people were wounded.
AFP journalists heard seven loud explosions as rockets also hit the city centre, the first since Haftar’s Libyan National Army militia launched an offensive on April 4 to capture the capital from the government and its militia allies.
The LNA blamed the rocket fire on the “terrorist militias” whose grip on the capital it says it is fighting to end.
The bombardment came as diplomats at the UN Security Council began negotiations on a British-drafted resolution that would demand an immediate ceasefire in Libya.
The proposed text seen by AFP warns that the offensive by Haftar’s LNA “threatens the stability of Libya and prospects for a United Nations-facilitated political dialogue and a comprehensive political solution to the crisis.”
No Haftar criticism
After Britain circulated the text late Monday, the first round of negotiations was held during which Russia raised objections to references criticising Haftar, diplomats said.
“They were very clear. No reference anywhere,” a council diplomat said.
During a tour of the Tripoli neighbourhoods worst hit by the rocket fire on Tuesday night, unity government head Fayez al-Sarraj said the Security Council must hold Haftar to account for his forces’ “savagery and barbarism”.
“It’s the legal and humanitarian responsibility of the Security Council and the international community to hold this criminal responsible for his actions,” Sarraj said in footage of the tour released by his office.
He said his government would seek Haftar’s prosecution for war crimes by the International Criminal Court in The Hague.
“We are going to hand all the documentation to the ICC tomorrow (Wednesday) for prosecution for war crimes and crimes against humanity,” he said.
At least 189 people have been killed, 816 wounded and more than 18,000 displaced since Haftar ordered his forces to march on Tripoli, according to the World Health Organization.
Britain was hoping to bring the ceasefire resolution to a vote at the Security Council before Friday, but diplomats pointed to Russia’s objections as a hurdle.
The proposed measure echoed a call by UN chief Antonio Guterres, who was in Libya to advance prospects for a political solution when Haftar launched his offensive.
Haftar, seen by his allies Egypt and the United Arab Emirates as a bulwark against Islamists, has declared he wants to seize the capital.
He backs a rival administration based in eastern Libya that is refusing to recognise the authority of the Tripoli government.
The draft resolution calls on all sides in Libya “immediately to recommit” to UN peace efforts and urges all member states “to use their influence over the parties” to see that the resolution is respected.
Resolutions adopted by the council are legally binding.
Diplomats have long complained that foreign powers backing rival sides in Libya threatened to turn the conflict into a proxy war.
Saudi Arabia is also seen as a key Haftar supporter, while Qatar — which has tense relations with Riyadh and Abu Dhabi — has called for stronger enforcement of the UN arms embargo to keep weapons out of Haftar’s hands.
Russia and France, two veto-wielding permanent members of the Security Council, have praised Haftar’s battlefield successes in defeating Libyan militias aligned with the Islamic State group in the south of the country.
Haftar’s offensive on the capital forced the United Nations to postpone a national conference that was to draw up a roadmap to elections, meant to turn the page on years of chaos since the 2011 ouster of Moamer Kadhafi.
Guterres has said serious negotiations on Libya’s future cannot resume without a ceasefire.
The UN Security Council will meet Wednesday at Washington’s request to discuss the worsening humanitarian crisis in Venezuela, diplomats said.
The United States requested the meeting on Thursday amid growing alarm over the impact of a political standoff in Venezuela on families and children.
An internal UN report seen by AFP last week said seven million people — about 24 percent of Venezuela’s population — are in need of humanitarian aid, lacking access to food and medical care.
President Nicolas Maduro has blamed US sanctions for Venezuela’s economic problems but opposition leader Juan Guaido, who has declared himself interim leader, says government corruption and mismanagement are at fault.
Guaido is recognized by the United States and about 50 other governments.
The meeting to be held in open session is scheduled for around 11 am (1500 GMT).