Obiano Distributes Vehicles To Security Agencies In Anambra

Anambra-Police-VehicleThe Anambra State governor has distributed 25 security vehicles to the Joint Security Operation, code named “Operation Nkpochapu”, in the state to boost security operations.

The development is a clear resolve of Anambra State government to support in the fight against crime and criminality towards achieving a crime free state.

At Aguleri, Anambra East Local Government Area of the Anambra State on Tuesday, the state governor, Willie Obiano, presented the brand new security vehicles to the Police, Army, State Security Service and the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA).

He told  the security personnel that the vehicles were the first of 200 security vehicles his administration would procure for the security agencies to empower them totally in order to sustain the tempo of the fight against criminal elements in the state.

The vehicles are to be used in strategic places for quick response to distress calls and daily patrol of all parts of the state.

Fifteen of the vehicles would go to the Police, three for the Army, two for the State Security Service and one each for Nigeria Navy and NDLEA.

Governor Obiano also assured the Navy that the government would procure a gun boat and repair all grounded gunboats belonging to the Navy and NDLEA to assist them in securing the water ways effectively.

The governor maintained that the war declared on criminals would be sustained as there would be no retreat.

The vehicles were launched and distributed. The state Commissioner of Police and leader of the State Joint Security Operation, Usman Gwary, responding on behalf of the other service chiefs, assured indigenes of their commitment to the course for which they were called.

Commenting on the development in security operations in the state, Chris Azubogu of the House of Representatives, Victor Okoye of the State House of Assembly and Obinna Emenaka, also of the State House of Assembly, who were present, commended the initiative of the State government to take seriously the issue of security, legitimately, as never before in the history of the state since creation.

The ceremony was witnessed by members of the State Executive Council, Service Chiefs and Traditional rulers.

Pirate Attacks by Armed Gangs Surge Off Nigerian Coast

Pirate attacks off Nigeria’s coast have jumped by a third this year with ships passing through West Africa’s gulf of Guinea increasingly under threat from gangs wanting to snatch cargoes and crews.

The International Maritime Bureau, (IMB) says pirates, often heavily armed and violent, are targeting vessels and their crews along the Nigerian coast, rivers, anchorages, ports and surrounding waters. The IMB adds that in many cases, the pirates ransack the vessels and steal the cargo, usually gas oil.

Data from the IMB, which coordinates the fight against maritime crime and malpractice, shows that Nigeria remains the main source of piracy in the region with 29 attacks on vessels recorded in the first nine months of 2013, up from 21 in the same period last year.

The IMB says in the first nine months of 2013 the gulf of guinea accounted for all crew kidnappings worldwide, 32 of them off Nigeria, and two off Togo. In such incidents, sailors are taken ashore and usually held for ransom.

Countries on the gulf of guinea, including Nigeria, Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire, are major sources of oil and cocoa and increasingly metals for world markets.

Suspects Linked To Borno Mosque Attack Arrested

The Nigeria military says 17 militants behind last Sunday’s attack in Konduga village, Borno state where dozens of Muslim worshippers were killed have been arrested.

At least 44 people have been shot dead at a mosque in north-eastern Nigeria, officials in Borno state say.

According to residents,men dressed in military camouflage arrived in Konduga town on Sunday morning, shooting and hacking to death dozens of people returning from morning prayers.

Spokesman for the military, Brigadier Chris Olukolade told Channels Television in Abuja that the militants were nabbed on the day of the attack.

He said efforts are being made to track down more perpetrators of the attack.

Brigadier olukolade also said patrols have been stepped up on land and air , that the number of troops on patrols in rural areas have also been increased to prevent a reoccurrence.

Police Briefs President On NSCDC Murder

The Deputy Police Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba today (Friday) confirmed that  a comprehensive brief has been given to President Goodluck Jonathan on the alleged killing of two civil defense officials by policemen in Lagos state.

In what seemed to be a power show, policemen were said to have shot dead two Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps officers at the NNPC pipelines in Ikorodu, Lagos state on Wednesday.

Some Police operatives attached to the Ikorodu Division of the Lagos State Police Command engaged officials of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in a gun duel; leading to the death of Gabriel Adaji and Innocent Akegbe, who were part of the Anti-Pipeline Vandalism Squad.

Other NSCDC operatives were said to have escaped with varying degrees of injuries, including gunshot wounds.

Mr. Mba told journalists at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday that the meeting with the president “was part of routine visits to discuss operational issues and also to present the facts of the murder from police perspective”.

He appealed to members of the public to stay calm and wait for details of investigations to be made public.

Analyst says vacuum in leadership caused unrest in Borno

A policy analyst, Galtima Liman on Monday said vacuums in political as well as spiritual leadership is greatly responsible for the growing unrest in Borno state, North East Nigeria.

Speaking as a guest on Channels Television’s programme, Sunrise Daily, Mr Liman said the security challenges in Borno state have been building up in the past 30 years.

“Following the local government reforms that have taken away a lot of power of the traditional, spiritual and political leaders, you don’t really have a rallying point for the elders. There’s a big vacuum there, so who is now speaking on behalf of the elders in Borno State? It’s quite a very big challenge,” he said.

Mr Liman spoke on the roles of the All Nigeria Progressive Party, the former Borno State governor, Ali Modu Sheriff and former Head of State, Muhammadu Buhari in the growing security challenges in Borno state and other parts on Northern Nigeria.

Watch the video below for the full interview.

Gunmen destroy more telecom masts, kill 16 in Yobe

No fewer than 16 persons were on Thursday killed in both Damaturu and Potiskum, Yobe state as suspected sect member continued the destruction of telecommunication masts in Northern Nigeria, a source at the General Sani Abacha Specialist Hospital said.

The Damaturu destruction is coming just 24 hours after same operation was carried out by hoodlums in Maiduguri and Kano.

The destruction of the facilities was accompanied by killings and burning of some structures in the restive Damaturu and Potiskum in Yobe state North East Nigeria.

The state commissioner of police, Patrick Egbuniwe who confirmed the destruction said the coordinated attack started around 8pm through the night as five persons lost their lives during the attack but hospital sources claimed 16 corpses were brought to the hospital for claims by relations.

The commissioner said the masts of Etisalat, Globacom and Airtel in the two towns were burnt by suspected armed hoodlums believed to be members of the Boko Haram Islamic sect, by launching Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and petrol-bombs at the masts.

He said that seven masts were destroyed in Damaturu while Potiskum loss Five.

Mr Egbuniwe said the attackers also razed down the offices of Yobe state Ministry of Religious Affairs, the state Pilgrims Welfare Board, Hajj Camp, Local Government INEC Office and most of the structures at the Government Secondary School Damaturu believe to be the most populated public school in the state capital.

He said one of the Fire fighting vehicles of the state fire service was also burnt by the assailants.

Four arrested

The Joint Taskforce (JTF) in the state confirmed that four suspects have been arrested and are being interrogated in connection with the recent attacks.

The suspects according to the JTF were arrested along Gujba road in an attempt to lunch another attack on a mast along the road.

The coordinated destruction of telecommunication facilities is the first to be carried out in the state since the commencement of the insurgency.

Thursday’s vandalisation disrupted smooth communication within and outside the state capital as the only surviving network the MTN was erratic throughout the day.

Three Boko Haram members killed in Damaturu

Three suspected members of the Boko Haram Islamic sect have been killed in a gun battle with the Joint Task Force (JTF) in Damaturu the Yobe state capital.

The Yobe state commissioner of police Patrick Egbuniwe disclosed this on Sunday as an aftermath of the repeated gunshots and continuous bombings that rocked the Nyanya and the Obasanjo Housing estates on Friday in Damaturu running through the night

Mr Egnuniwe said the JTF on patrol around the estates suspected a hide out of the radical Islamic sect and in efforts to get closed to the site witnessed a severe resistance leading to exchange of gun battle which detonates several explosive devices in the hideout.

He said three of the suspects were killed while a woman was arrested in the hideout.

He also disclosed that one AK47 rifle and several round of ammunitions were recovered in the hide out.

The recent attack is happening just two days after the visit of the National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki to Yobe and Borno states.