Eight Killed In DRC Shootings

 

Eight people died in three shootings in Goma, eastern DR Congo, the town mayor said Sunday, while others complained authorities were slow to react to violence in North Kivu province.

“In Mugunga (district), there was shooting last night. Five people were killed and more injured. In Katoy, one was killed near a petrol station and further north towards Buhene two people were killed,” Timothee Muissa Kiense told AFP, adding that investigations were under way.

READ ALSO: Eight Killed In DRC Shootings

Benin Butatunda, vice-chairman of a Mugunga youth association charged meanwhile that “assailants fired on passers-by. Authorities did not intervene in time to save human lives.

“There is much tension here in Mugunga. The population is angry at the authorities’ lethargy,” Butatunda said.

The shootings came as Martin Fayulu, controversially beaten by fellow opposition candidate Felix Tshisekedi in the December 30 presidential election, was in the province for a meeting at Butembo, 266 km (165 miles) from Goma.

AFP

11 Killed In South Africa Township Shootings – Police

Eleven people were killed in a series of overnight shootings in a Cape Town township, police said on Saturday, including four victims shot dead when gunmen opened fire in a bar.

Extra police officers were deployed to the Philipi district of Cape Town, a city that suffers from regular gang violence and armed clashes between rival criminal groups.

“We have deployed teams comprising specialist detectives, high-risk units and intelligence operatives,” police spokeswoman Novela Potelwa told the News 24 website.

“We already executed search operations that are set to continue throughout the day. The police are doing their best to arrest those responsible.”

Tens of thousands of people live in informal shack settlements in Philipi, located in the notoriously crime-ridden Cape Flats area of the city.

Four people were shot dead at an informal “shebeen” bar on Friday evening, with three other bodies found by police nearby. Another four more people were killed elsewhere in the district.

The ruling ANC party condemned the deaths.

“Regardless of the circumstances, these mass murders — related or not — are criminal acts which must be punished using the full might of our law,” party spokesman Zizi Kodwa said in a statement.

“Criminals live amongst our communities, they are harboured by us and until society stands as one against this scourge, it will not be defeated.”

On average, there are 51 murders per day in South Africa, according to official figures released last year.

Crime is seen as a major issue hampering the country’s social cohesion, economic development and international reputation — especially as a tourist destination.

Last week 36 Dutch tourists were robbed on a bus on route to their hotel after landing at Johannesburg airport for a three-week holiday.

AFP

President Buhari Condemns Terrorist Attack In Florida

buhari-sadPresident Muhammadu Buhari has condemned Sunday’s terrorist attack on the Pulse Night Club, Orlando, Florida, describing it as ‘‘criminal’’ and ‘‘cowardly’’. 

In a letter to the Ambassador of the United States in Nigeria, James Entwistle, President Buhari conveyed Nigeria’s heartfelt sympathy to President Barrack Obama and the people of United States of America.

The President also assured the United States of Nigeria’s continued support and cooperation in the fight against terrorism.

‘‘President Buhari extends his most sincere condolences to the families, relatives and friends of the victims.

‘‘The President condemns such criminal, cowardly attack, wherever it might occur, as an attack on all decent, democratic, peaceful people.

“Every terrorist attack only strengthens Nigeria’s resolve to stand shoulder to shoulder with the United States and other countries in the frontline of the war on terror,’’ the letter, which was signed by the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari read.

President Buhari also called ‘‘on all peace-loving nations to commit themselves whole-heartedly to multilateral cooperation and collaborative actions aimed at eradicating the scourge of international terrorism.’’

Various Americans on Monday made statements in connection to the killings that took place in Orlando, central Florida in the United States.

A rampage had occurred on Sunday at a gay nightclub, with at least 50 people killed and 53 more wounded.

In his White House briefing, President Barack Obama said Americans were bonded in grief, outrage and “resolve to defend our people”, after “an act of terror and an act of hate”.Orlando Shooting

He described the incident as the ‘worst mass shooting in U.S. history’ and ordered that the American flags be lowered to half-staff to honor the victims of the attack.

Obama, Biden Others React To Orlando Killings

Barack Obama, Joe Biden, OrlandoVarious Americans on Monday made statements in connection to the killings that took place in Orlando, central Florida in the United States.

A rampage had occurred on Sunday at a gay nightclub, with at least 50 people killed and 53 more wounded.

In his White House briefing, President Barack Obama said Americans were bonded in grief, outrage and “resolve to defend our people”, after “an act of terror and an act of hate”.Orlando Shooting

He described the incident as the ‘worst mass shooting in U.S. history’ and ordered that the American flags be lowered to half-staff to honor the victims of the attack.

In a statement by his spokesman, Vice President Joe Biden “offered his prayers for all those killed and injured in the shooting and sends his condolences to all the families and loved ones of the victims”.

“Grudge In His Heart”

US presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, on her part said the attack was a tragedy that required a serious response.

Also reacting to the shooting was the Congressional LGBT Equality Caucus who issued a statement saying they were “horrified by the tragic shooting”.

Seddique Mateen, the father of the attacker, Omar Mateen, said he did not know that his son had a “grudge in his heart”.

Omar was shot dead by the police.

Mr Mateen said he did not understand why his son carried out the shooting at the Pulse nightclub.

He had earlier said his son was angered after seeing two men kissing in Miami.

According to the BBC, in a statement posted online and addressed to people in his native Afghanistan, Seddique Mateen said his son was “a very good boy”, who had a wife and a child.

“I don’t know what caused it,” he said. “I never figured out that he had a grudge in his heart….I am grief-stricken.”

Police Gave Go Ahead To Continue Okrika Rally After Explosions – Chinda

Emmanuel ChindaThe Director of Field Operations, Dakuku Campaign Organisation, Emmanuel Chinda on Thursday revealed that the police had given APC the go-ahead to continue with the Okrika rally despite the explosions that occurred close to the rally ground.

“The advice of the police was that they could contain the situation and we should carry on with the rally. That was how we continued the rally.”

According to Chinda, who appeared on Sunrise Daily, the disrupted Okrika rally was the third attempt by the governorship candidate of the All Progressive Congress in the forthcoming elections, Dakuku Peterside.

The first attempt had been on the 24th of January which had been disrupted by bandits despite the police permit that had been obtained.

The second attempt had been on the 12th of February and according to Chinda, the APC had been advised not to hold the rally as the First Lady of Nigeria, Patience Jonathan, was going to visit the area, her hometown.

“APC gladly agreed. We said – ok, no problem”, Chinda noted, adding that the final date, 16th, had been agreed upon by the party and the police.

He further confirmed that the police command had provided security as promised.

Chinda said the rally had gone smoothly initially as the APC candidate, Dakuku Peterside had visited his Alma Mater, the principal and students as well as the traditional ruler of the community.

He then proceeded to church for prayers. It was at this point explosives had gone off. However, the rally kick started after police had restored normalcy but shortly after the opening prayer, “hell let lose”, Chinda said.

He noted that the police had tried to contain the unknown gunmen but they were overwhelmed.