Twitter is making it easier to display, embed, and interact with tweets in blog posts and websites. The ability to plant a whole Twitter stream has been around for a while, but the new “embedded timelines are built on a new infrastructure” that’s more Web friendly, reports say.
The stream of tweets can be selected by hashtag, handle, favourites, lists, and more, and the display customized by height, size, and colour.
The code-wary needn’t fret–the entire configuration takes place through drop-down menus in the “Widgets” section of your Twitter profile settings. Twitter then spits out a line HTML code which can be copied and pasted onto a page, like the sharing code of a YouTube video.
Twitter’s recently been upsetting partners who use its API with the limits and restrictions it has planned. This embedded Twitter stream however is “not subject to traditional Twitter API rate limits,” Twitter notes in its Developers Blog, and also that the stream is “designed to scale with your site as your traffic and audience grows.”
Cynthia Osokogu, the victim of an Internet dating transaction, will be buried on September 7 at Bebe, Ovia Agbor in Ika South Local Government Area of Delta State, a family source said on Monday. Late Cynthia’s mother, Joy Osokogu, who announced the date in Jos, advised youths to be very cautious of making friends with people that they do not know.
Cynthia, a postgraduate student of Nasarawa State University, Keffi, was allegedly killed by friends she met on the social media, Facebook, at a hotel in Festac, Lagos in July.
The suspected killers of the young woman allegedly lured her to Lagos on a phoney business deal and killed her in a hotel room.
“The youths should be very careful, especially when they are making friends in the social media. Like we have seen in the case of my daughter, such friends may have ulterior motives,” she said.
She described her deceased daughter as “very industrious, hard working and a respectful child.”
She added, “She was my daughter, my friend and my sister. Her memory will never be forgotten because she touched so many lives positively in her short stay on earth.”
Mrs Osokogu said Cynthia’s killers had demanded N20 million ransom from the family.
“The killers of my daughter demanded a ransom of N20 million from my son, Flt- Lt. Kenneth Osokogu,” she said.
She said the killers sent her son, who is in Makurdi, a text message, demanding that he pay N20 million into an account which did not exist.
“The killers were not picking our calls; they only communicated to us via text messages.
“When my son got their SMS, he later replied them that the account number was fake and didn’t exist.
“He sent another message in which he said that if it was a case of kidnapping, he would like to speak with his sister before making any payment but the killers did not respond,” Mrs Osokogu said.
She said, however, that when she spoke with the suspected killers, they did not ask her for any money.
Mrs Osokogu said she spoke last with Cynthia on July 22, when she called to say that she was travelling to Lagos to get her goods.
“But the next day, I didn’t hear from her. When I tried to reach her, all her phones were switched off.
“After one week, the phones started ringing but no one was picking.
“Few days later, people I believe to be the killers, called and said that my daughter was in one Symbol Hospital in Lagos.
“I called the police I had earlier reported the case to, to go and verify if she was in the hospital, they said there was no hospital like that.
“After a while, I called the number and told them I wanted to speak with her but they said that it was not possible.
“When I asked why, they said she would come back but that I wouldn’t speak with her.
“When I called the number again, they said they had killed her and that was when we declared Cynthia missing,” Mrs Osokogu said.
The police in Lagos on Monday arraigned four persons suspected to be connected to the death of Cynthia.
The Ministry of Works on Sunday debunked speculations in the social media that the Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos, was about collapsing due to structural defect.
There were speculations on social media that what the Third Mainland Bridge requires is more than repairs on some joints. Below is an excerpt of a blackberry messenger broadcast: “The recent maintenance/repair work going-on on Third Mainland Bridge was ordered by the Federal Government as a result of a report produced by a company experienced in underwater surveys. The content of the report was to the effect that the underwater metal casing housing the concrete on and the concrete pile on which the bridge stands have rotted away totally. This accounts for the vibration experienced between Adeniji Adele and Adekunle FAjuyi portions of the bridge. The implication of all of this is that Third Mainland Bridge, between Adeniji Adele and Adekunle Fajuyi, is on the verge of collapsing and requires comprehensive work to be carried out on the foundation…” However, Dominic Avishigh, Director of Highways Design (Bridges) in the Ministry of Work urged Nigerians to disregard this unfounded rumour. It said that a joint inspection of the bridge was first carried out by a combined team of engineers, following insinuations that the bridge was oscillating in 2006. “At the end of the inspection, it was resolved that an internationally reputed bridge consultant be invited to carry out further inspection of the bridge. “An international bridge consultant was thereafter invited to carry out series of inspections and investigations along with the contractors and the bridge design consultants. “The studies revealed that there was no threat of collapse on the Third Mainland Bridge,” the statement said. Mr Avishigh said that it was the same fears that led to the commissioning of underwater studies of the sub-structure of the bridge recently. It said that the preliminary report of the yet-to-be concluded studies showed that the metal casing housing the concrete was rotting away. According to the statement, the rot is due to the activities of certain sea creatures attracted to that section of the Lagos Lagoon due to the discharge of organic effluent into it. “Following the report, the Minister of Works, Mike Onolememen, wrote to the Lagos State Government to stop the discharge of organic effluents into the lagoon in the area,” it said. It also said that another independent consultant on bridges was re-invited to review the underwater report and the consultant said that the fears were unfounded. It added that there was no immediate danger posed by the bridge. It reiterated that President Goodluck Jonathan had also in 2011 ordered the ministry to undertake the underwater inspection of all bridges nationwide, to forestall any catastrophe. It added that it was the ministry’s investigations that necessitated the ongoing rehabilitation of the Expansion Joints on the Third Mainland Bridge. It, therefore, urged users of the bridge to disregard the disturbing information meant to frighten Nigerians and cause disaffection among the people.
On Sunday, May 6 2012, +Channels Television launched its first online citizen participation forum by leveraging the Google+ Hangout social media tool.
This hangout was the first of its kind by any media organisation in Nigeria and it included guest participant, former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nasir El Rufai who discussed the state of the Nation with the over 72 people.
In the maiden hangout, Mr Elrufai responded to different questions from Nigerians who called in from different parts of the world.
Questions such as How young Nigerians abroad can deal with the fears of insecurity in the country when considering to return to Nigeria, the former Minister’s opinion on the Boko Haram insurgency in the North, the fuel subsidy probe report, and the political climate in Nigeria.
Google+ is a product of internet search giant Google that allows conversations from people’s ‘circles’ and other profile users.
How to join our hangouts
Channels Television is planning subsequent hangouts with celebrities, politicians, security personnel and other people in the news.
In order to use Google+ Hangout, you will first need to install the Google Talk plugin. This can be downloaded and installed at: http://google.com/talk/
You will also need to have a Gmail address and join Google+.
Once you join Google+ search for Channels Television and click on the follow button to add us to your circle.
Channels Television will inform you of the next hangout in advance to give you room to research the topic and prepare ahead of the meeting.
Facebook will pay $1 billion in cash and stock for Instagram, a 2-year-old photo-sharing application developer, in its largest-ever acquisition just months before the No. 1 social media website is expected to go public.
Even in Silicon Valley, , the acquisition stood out for its steep price for an apps-maker that still lacks any significant revenue sources.
The acquisition marks a change for Facebook, which has traditionally bought small companies as a means of hiring coveted teams of engineers. Facebook typically shutters the acquired company’s product or builds similar versions that it integrates directly into the Facebook service. But Instagram will not only remain running, Facebook will build features into it as time goes by, both companies said.
The popular Instagram application, which allows users to add filters and effects to pictures taken on their iPhone and Android devices, has gained about 30 million users since it launched in January 2011.
Instagram, with roughly a dozen employees based in San Francisco, reportedly closed a $50 million funding round last week from investors including Sequoia Capital that valued the company at $500 million, according to the technology blog AllThingsD.com. The company was founded only in early 2010.
Facebook, which is expected to raise $5 billion via the largest Silicon Valley initial public offering by May, will acquire Instagram’s entire team.
“This is an important milestone for Facebook because it’s the first time we’ve ever acquired a product and company with so many users,” Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a blog post. “We don’t plan on doing many more of these, if any at all.”
The deal, a closely kept secret at the tiny start-up, is expected to close this quarter. CEO Kevin Systrom announced the transaction to Instagram employees at a 9 a.m. meeting on Monday, according to a source inside the company.
TAKING PAGE FROM GOOGLE’S BOOK
The Instragram deal is expected to resemble Google Inc’s $1.65 billion acquisition of video service YouTube in 2006. YouTube retains its own offices in San Bruno, California, and largely operates independently of Google.
The acquisition came as Instagram was in the process of meeting with venture capital firms about raising more funding, according to one source familiar with the matter. “It was not long-planned,” the source said on condition of anonymity. “What happened is that Facebook must have come in with a number.”
In addition to bolstering Facebook’s photo-sharing and mobile capabilities, one side benefit of the deal for Facebook, the source noted, is that it prevents rival Twitter from acquiring the popular app.
At the same time, the deal allowed Facebook to absorb a potential emerging rival. As Instagram has shot up in popularity in recent months, the company’s leadership has mulled possible strategies to expand the service into a fully featured social network – a photo-driven, stripped-down version of Facebook, Twitter, or even Path.
With its purchase, Facebook said it would continue to develop Instagram as an independent app that remains compatible with other social networking services.
“We plan on keeping features like the ability to post to other social networks, the ability to not share your Instagrams on Facebook if you want, and the ability to have followers and follow people separately from your friends on Facebook,” Zuckerberg wrote.
A jealous Taiwanese husband led an assault on a Facebook user who had flirted with his wife online, beating him to death with baseball clubs, police said Monday, according to Agence France-Presse:
Chou You-huang, a 34-year-old resident of south Taiwan’s Pingtung County, told police that he had requested a meeting with the 40-year-old victim, Chuang Shih-chang, after he found out about the online relationship.
When Chuang turned up at the agreed spot outside a restaurant early Saturday morning, Chou and two of his friends attacked him with baseball bats, according to police.
The three men beat him ferociously and then left him there, believing he had not suffered life-threatening injuries, according to police statements.
The China Post reported one of the Facebook exchanges:
Chen, in a Facebook status update, wrote, “I want to get McDonalds! Which nice man will take me there?” Chuang responded: “I am about to arrive at your house!”
In his Internet posts, Chuang also frequently referred to Chen as his “wife.”
The China Post also reported that when questioned by the police, Chou said Chuang “had been drunk and had a horrible attitude and refused to admit his wrongdoings.” He further said he thought Chuang was just in a coma when they left him on the road.