Troops Kill Three Bandits, Recover Over 500 Livestock

A soldier backs the camera during a clearance operation in northern Nigeria.

 

Troops have killed three bandits and recovered over 500 livestock in a series of operations carried out in Sokoto and Katsina States.

In a statement on Thursday, the Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche, noted that the operations were conducted in two days.

He said troops of Operation Hadarin Daji under Operation Accord came in contact with some bandits at Sabon Birni LGA of Sokoto State on Tuesday.

Enenche explained that the soldiers adopted aggressive tactical manoeuvres and engaged the bandits, thereby neutralising two while others fled in disarray with gunshot wounds.

He added that another suspected bandit, Ibrahim Alhassan, was arrested by troops while on routine patrol in Zamfara State.

“Upon preliminary investigation, the suspect confessed to being a member of Kachalla Bandit Group.

“The suspect further confessed to being a GPMG carrier for the group and was on payroll of N100,000 for every evil operation they conducted. The suspect is in custody as further investigation continues,” the statement said.

The military says troops recovered over 500 cows, rams, and sheep during clearance operations conducted in Sokoto and Katsina States.

 

In another development, troops intercepted three armed bandits and killed one of them while others escaped with gunshot wounds.

He noted that the soldiers, were on patrol along road Unguwan Doka- Sabon Layi in Faskari LGA of Katsina State, recovered one AK-47 rifle and one motorcycle.

On Wednesday, Enenche revealed that troops received credible intelligence on the movement of bandits with a large number of rustled animals from Jangemi village forest to Kwaren Ganuwa axis in Zamfara State.

According to him, the soldiers immediately mobilised and intercepted the bandits at Bawaganga village but the criminals fled towards Muhaye forest and abandoned 250 cows and 150 rams, on sighting the troops.

“Additionally, still on 8 July 20, acting on credible intelligence on the movement of bandits along Kwaren Ganuwa towards Tsafe with unconfirmed rustled livestock.

“Troops tactically mobilised to the scene. Bandits fled in disarray on sighting troops thereby abandoning the rustled animals. Troops exploited further and recovered 117 cows and 34 sheep,” the statement added.

Air Force Launches Fresh Offensive Against Bandits In Sokoto

Personnel of the Nigerian Air Force carrying out an operation in the north-western part of the country. Credit: NAF

 

 

The Nigerian Air Force has launched a fresh offensive against bandits in Sokoto State, Northwest Nigeria.

This resulted to the death of several bandits and the destruction of some of their camps by the Air Component of Operation Hadarin Daji.

In a statement issued on Tuesday by the spokesman of the Force, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, the operation was carried out on July 6.

According to him, the military exercise aimed at ridden the region of armed bandits, cattle rustlers, kidnappers, and other criminal elements is in collaboration with the Defence Headquarters (DHQ)-led Operation Accord.

Meanwhile, the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, has reiterated his commitment in fighting criminal elements in the north western states.

Abubakar who has been in Sokoto to oversee the planning and launch of the Operation, expressed satisfaction with what has been achieved so far.

He noted that while sustaining the air offensive, the Air Component was working closely with ground troops to ensure that the armed bandits that escape the aerial bombardments are mopped up on the ground.

READ ALSO: Ondo Assembly Serves Impeachment Notice To Deputy Governor

The Air chief disclosed that because the Kagara Forest extends to Niger Republic, there was also ongoing liaison with the Nigerien Authorities to ensure that the bandits do not escape through the international borders.

While calling for the support of all Nigerians, he assured the people of the military’s determination in creating a stable and secured environment.

“Security and development are two sides of the same coin and I am very happy with what the State Government is doing in order to enhance development of communities so that people can see that they have a stake in the system.

“With what we are doing and what State Governments are doing, the problem of armed banditry will soon fizzle out,” he said.

COVID-19: 101 Patients Discharged, 14 Deaths Recorded In Sokoto

 

Sokoto State Government says 101 COVID-19 patients have been discharged in the state.

The Commissioner for Health, Dr Muhammed Ali Inname who disclosed this via a statement on Saturday noted that 14 persons died from COVID-19 complications in the state.

He recalled that since the state recorded its index case on April 19 till date, a total of 731 samples have been collected for tests so far.

READ ALSO: 42 More COVID-19 Patients Discharged In Lagos

According to him, Sokoto has now attained zero-status of the virus following the discharge of the last batch of the five remaining COVID-19 patients from the state isolation centres on June 5.

The Commissioner explained that despite this feat, the COVID-19 Taskforce Committee is prepared for any eventuality.

He also reiterated the preparedness of the state government to partner with relevant bodies and organisations interested in the healthcare system.

Senator Accuses Military Of Abandoning Constituency In Sokoto

New Salary Scale Has Not Been Approved For Armed Forces – DHQ
A file photo of troops.

 

 

The lawmaker representing Sokoto East senatorial district, Senator Ibrahim Gobir, has accused the military of abandoning the people of his constituency in the time of distress.

He made the allegation during plenary on Tuesday at the Senate Chamber of the National Assembly in Abuja, the nation’s capital.

In his contribution to a motion raised by Senator Sabi Abdullahi, the lawmaker decried that the alleged abandonment of the people has exposed them to attacks by bandits.

Earlier, Senator Abdullahi in his motion drew the attention of the Senate to the activities of bandits in Niger State.

He had also called on the Federal Government to extend its ongoing military operations in Zamfara and Katsina States to flush out bandits in Niger State.

On his part, Senator Gobir criticised the military, saying many of the people in Sokoto have fled to the Niger Republic for safety.

He also accused the military of not responding to distress calls from the people when bandits attack their communities.

According to the lawmaker, the people of Sokoto have lost thousands of cattle worth N2.5 billion to attacks by bandits.

He added that the activities of the bandits have displaced about 5,000 people in Basira area along the border between Nigeria and the Niger Republic.

In their resolution, lawmakers in the Senate commended President Muhammadu Buhari for his proactive leadership and directives on security amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

They, however, appealed to him to direct the military to extend their operations to Kaduna, Niger, Zamfara, Sokoto, and other states where the bandits were attacking innocent citizens.

The Senate also resolved to ask the military authorities to increase their surveillance and track the bandits.

Banditry: Senate Asks Buhari To Extend Military Operations To Sokoto, Other States

A file photo of President Muhammadu Buhari. Photo: [email protected]

 

The Senate has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to extend the ongoing military operations against bandits to Sokoto, Niger, Kaduna, Kebbi and Zamfara States.

The lawmakers made the appeal on Tuesday during plenary at the Senate Chamber of the National Assembly in Abuja.

Senator Aliyu Abdullahi who sponsored the motion recalled that the Senate had on May 12, 2020, considered two separate motions, asking the Federal Government to immediately address the growing spate of banditry in Niger and Katsina States, respectively.

READ ALSO: Senate Seeks Establishment Of Food Reserve Agency To Avoid Emergency Crisis

Senator Sabi Abdullahi said the upper chamber was “aware through a Presidential Spokesman that President Muhammadu Buhari has authorised the commencement of a major military operation to sweep bandits and kidnappers out of Katsina State; as major proactive measures by Special Forces to replace the reactive strikes against the camps of these bandits and criminals”.

“The criminalities by these armed bandits and kidnappers are carried out mostly under the cover of the contagious forests reserves and areas stretching from Katsina, Zamfara, Kaduna and Niger States with pockets of safe havens in Kebbi State”, he said.

The lawmaker added that “A major offensive in Katsina State alone is likely to make the armed bandits and kidnappers seek a safer haven in Zamfara, Kaduna and Niger states which hosts the Zurmi and Kamuku forests among others, further compounding the plight of hapless and poor communities along these forest corridors”.

According to him,  the massive operations in Zamfara and Kaduna states forced the armed bandits to seek safe haven elsewhere.

The Senate in its resolutions appealed to President Buhari to expand the scope of the operations to include Zamfara, Kaduna, Niger and Sokoto States and any other surrounding areas or States that the armed bandits may want to seek safe haven following the massive operation.

The upper chamber also called on the military and the police to increase their surveillance operations to the bandits.

 

Sokoto Govt Seeks FG’s Partnership In Fight Against COVID-19

 

The Sokoto State government is seeking to partner with the Federal Government on strategic ways to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.

State Governor Aminu Tambuwal stated this on Monday when the Ministerial Taskforce Team visited the state.

Governor Tambuwal during the visit said that the state will continue to do its best in partnering with relevant stakeholders to defeat COVID-19.

He said that curbing the pandemic is still a work in progress while stressing that he is waiting for the report from the Ministerial Taskforce team on the best way to fight the virus.

READ ALSO: Presidency Assures Of Action Against Bandits In Katsina

In his remarks, the Chairman of the Ministerial Task Force Dr. Nasiru Sani Gwarz said the teams’ visit is in line with a directive by the Federal Ministry of Health.

He commended the state task force on COVID-19 but reiterated the need to have a strategic plan to fight the disease.

He also described as phenomenal the rapid response team saying that it is one of it’s kind in the country, where one political ward has an ambulance attached to it.

COVID-19: 41 Persons Discharged in Sokoto

Sokoto, usually referred to as Sokoto State to distinguish it from the city of Sokoto, is located in the extreme northwest of Nigeria, near to the confluence of the Sokoto River and the Rima River
Sokoto, usually referred to as Sokoto State to distinguish it from the city of Sokoto, is located in the extreme northwest of Nigeria, near to the confluence of the Sokoto River and the Rima River

 

Sokoto state government has announced the discharge of 41 COVID-19 patients from its Amanawa Isolation centre after they tested negative twice for the virus.

The State Commissioner for Health, Mohammed Ali Iname, revealed this to newsmen during a press briefing in Sokoto on Tuesday.

Iname, who is also Chairman of Sokoto’s COVID-19 taskforce, said 19 persons had earlier been discharged from the isolation centre.

According to the Commissioner, 13 persons have lost their lives to the virus in Sokoto.

He advised residents in the state not to stigmatize discharged patients saying coronavirus is not a death sentence.

According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Sokoto has recorded 106 COVID-19 cases, as of Monday evening.

Four Out Of 11 Travellers From Sokoto Test Positive For COVID-19

File Photo

 

Four out of the 11 travellers from Sokoto State en route Akure who were intercepted by the Oyo State Police at the weekend have tested positive to COVID-19.

The state’s incident manager, Dr Taiwo Ladipo disclosed this on Tuesday.

According to him, the four confirmed cases are currently being isolated at the Infectious Diseases Centre, Olodo.

A member of the COVID-19 task force, Prof. Temitope Alonge, also confirmed to Channels TV that the cases have been admitted at the Olodo Isolation Center for treatment.

The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the state as of Tuesday stood at 39, with 28 active cases.

In the early hours of Wednesday, the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC) announced that one more case had been discovered in the state.

So far, nine patients have been discharged, while two persons have died.

Police Intercept 11 Sokoto Travellers At Osun-Ibadan Boundary

Police-Policeeeee
A file photo of a police patrol van.

 

 

Eleven travellers who contravened the inter-state travel ban have been intercepted by the Oyo State Police Command in an attempt to sneak into Akure, the Ondo State capital through Ibadan.

The travellers explained that they came from Sokoto to go back to their families in Akure, after more than four weeks of being stranded in Sokoto as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown.

In his reaction, Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, said the travellers would not be released to the Sokoto State government until they undergo COVID-19 tests which had already begun.

READ ALSO: Nasarawa Assembly Member Dies Of COVID-19

Governor Makinde made the remark after receiving a briefing from the Commissioner of Police in Oyo, Sina Olukolu, at the Gbagi Police Station where the culprits were detained overnight in Ibadan, the state capital.

He said that the travellers were apprehended at the Asejire Dam axis of the Ibadan-Osun boundary, adding that they claimed that they were travelling from Sokoto en-route to Akure.

The governor insisted that the travellers would remain isolated until the results of their COVID-19 tests were received.

He said, “We are not able to explain how they got here in the first place because there is inter-state lockdown throughout the country.

“They claimed they came from Sokoto and they must have passed through so many states.”

Governor Makinde revealed that he has given directives to the effect that the travellers would be kept isolated in Ibadan until the results of their COVID-19 tests were received.

He, however, noted that he had contacted the Sokoto State Governor, Aminu Tambuwal, saying the travellers would be sent back to Sokoto State afterwards.

The governor stressed that governors in the country were still discussing on how to enforce the inter-state lockdown throughout the country, to curtail the spread of coronavirus.

“It is a discussion going on with the rest governors in Nigeria because inter-state lockdown was put in place for a particular reason and what we have agreed to do is, in each individual state where you have inter-state motor parks, there must be on lockdown.

“If they are locked down, at least 80 to 85 per cent of our problems would have been solved. It is an ongoing discussion and I believe that will be the ultimate way to go,” he stated.

During an interrogation, the driver of the bus, Muritala Aliyu, said they passed through old roads and bushes from Sokoto to Niger and Kwara States and then got into Ogbomoso, from where they entered Ibadan.

He added that they were going to Akure “to reconcile with their family members”.

Members of the medical team of the COVID-19 Task Force were at the police station to administer COVID-19 tests on the travellers to determine their status.

COVID-19: Sokoto Begins Contact Tracing Of Index Case

 

Sokoto State COVID-19 Response Team has deployed medical experts to begin the tracing of all contacts associated with the index case discovered in the state.

Chairman of the Response team and State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Mohammed Inname revealed this during a briefing with newsmen in Sokoto, the state capital.

Iname assured that all those that have made contacts with the patient will be traced.

According to him, the state COVID-19 index case has been transferred to the isolation and treatment center situated in Amanawa, Dange Shuni Local Government and that patient is now stable and recovering.

He also said the state government is investigating the cause of transmission to the index patient infected by the coronavirus.

The Commissioner explained that the Response Team will begin active case test in the next 48hours, as part of strategy deploy to ensure that the general public did not suffer in this pandemic.

The state government also urged the general public to render valid information to ease the tracing task.

COVID-19: Rising Cases In Niger Republic Worry Sokoto Residents

 

Authorities and residents in Sokoto State have expressed worry over the rising cases of COVID-19 in West African countries especially neighbouring Niger Republic.

As at Monday, April 13, there are over 500 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Niger Republic with 12 deaths recorded.

This has increased concerns in Sokoto State where seven of its local government areas share border with Niger Republic. More worrisome is the illegal entry routes from the country into Nigeria.

READ ALSO: Six More COVID-19 Patients Discharged In Lagos

Sokoto State special taskforce against the spread of COVID-19 however told Channels Television that they are ready to liase with the relevant security agencies to beef up security at the border posts to guide against the spread of the virus into the state.

Although, Sokoto State is yet to record any case of COVID-19 and there are no restrictions of movement within the state, stringent measures have been put in place by authorities to ensure proper hygiene.

The official border post are also shut due to the ongoing border drill operation with security agencies in control of movement in and out of the country.

Sokoto, Plateau Killings: Buhari Orders Army To Support Police

A file photo of soldiers travelling in a truck.

 

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the Nigerian Army to support the police and flush out bandits from forests around the country.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, revealed this in a statement on Friday.

According to him, the President issued the directive to flush out bandits from forests, especially in the areas that witnessed recent attacks.

[READ ALSO] COVID-19: Four More Persons Discharged, Says Sanwo-Olu

Shehu explained that the President gave the directive in response to the killing of 22 people in Sokoto State, whose community was attacked by armed bandits.

He added that the order was also in response to the reported killing of 10 people in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

“In a quick response, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, has already gotten in touch with the General Officers Commanding the army formations in the affected states, directing them to reinforce the police efforts to track the bandits and bring them to justice,” the statement said.

The President condoled with the governments and people of the two states, assuring Governors Aminu Tambuwal and Simon Lalong of the Federal Government’s support in bringing an end to the spate of attacks in the regions.

He also sympathised with the families and friends of the victims and prayed that Allah would comfort them.